Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Challenge Fics > Potter Place Challenges

The Real Me by debjunk [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Over the next three months, the four of them worked hard with Lucius. Severus and Sybill would spend every weekend at the villa and share what good things they knew about Lucius with him. Lucius now knew who he was and that he came from a long line of nobility. He had been quite shocked to learn how wealthy he was. He remembered that Draco was his only son and that he and Narcissa had dated and fell in love when they were students at Hogwarts. Still, the going wasn’t easy. They usually had to repeat things multiple times for anything to be remembered in Lucius’ addled brain. They did find that the more pleasant the detail, the easier it was for him to remember. He always knew that Narcissa was his wife and that Draco was his son.

The four were careful to share positive memories. They helped Lucius to know that he was a good person who could be caring. They had spent a long, hard time trying to help him to have a good base so that when they told him of his involvement with Voldemort, he would not make the same mistakes again.

That day came a bit sooner than anyone was expecting. An article about Voldemort appeared in the paper one morning, and Lucius made the comment that he couldn’t believe that people could be so extreme in their views. Draco had stared levelly at his father. He glanced at his mother. She nodded her affirmation that it was time. He looked over at Sybill and Severus, who were joining them that morning. They nodded too.

“Father,” Draco began.

Lucius looked up and smiled at his boy.

“You know that tattoo on your arm that we said you got as a youth?” Draco continued.

Lucius lifted his arm and glanced at the Dark Mark.

“Yes,” he said curiously.

“That is the Dark Mark. It’s what Voldemort placed on his follower’s arms to ensure their allegiance and as a method of communication with them.”

Lucius’ eyes grew wide as he looked to the Mark again. “You… you mean… I was one of them?” he said as he pointed to the paper.

“I’m afraid so,” Severus interjected. “I, too, was one of them.” Severus pulled his sleeve up and displayed his own Dark Mark.

“But… they’re so evil! You aren’t evil. Why would you be a part of them?” Lucius asked. He was trying hard to understand, but everything was just one big mush in his brain.

“I worked to destroy them,” Severus offered. “But it wasn’t always so. When I joined them, I was young. You convinced me that there was a cause to be fought for and that Voldemort was the one to champion that cause. We were both fooled by his guile.”

“I have been one of his followers since I was a young man?” Lucius asked in shock. He turned to his wife. “What about you?” he asked.

Narcissa showed her Dark Mark. Draco also lifted his sleeve to reveal his. Lucius’ eyes grew wide.

“My entire family? We all were associated with this madman?”

“Once you ally yourself with him, Lucius, there is no going back,” Narcissa explained.

“We weren’t happy then?”

“No, not exactly… but we did believe in his cause,” she told him.

Lucius stood suddenly. “I need some time alone,” he said. Stalking away, he left the others staring after him.

“Do you think he’ll remember this in a few hours?” Sybill asked after many minutes of silence.

“I doubt it,” Draco responded.

“Will you tell him again?” Sybill continued.

Draco looked at his mother. She looked back at her son. Her eyes showed apprehension. “I don’t think it’s good for him to become upset like this. It will set back his recovery.”

“Are you sure, Narcissa?” Severus asked. “Could you just not want to tell him this again and again, reliving it?”

Narcissa sighed. “Yes, that’s part of it. I followed Lucius in the beginning because he was my boyfriend and later my husband. I never was as enthusiastic as he was.” She looked up into Severus’ eyes. “My biggest fear is that he’ll embrace that life again.”

Severus put his hand over hers from across the table. “Only you and Draco can decide what is too much for him to bear. If you think this will truly set him back, then perhaps you should never repeat this story again. You have told him. That might be enough, but you must face your fear. Don’t keep the truth from him because of that fear.”

“Severus, I don’t know…” Narcissa started to say.

“Narcissa, he is different,” Severus told her. “The thought of these things being a part of his life has shocked him. The Lucius from before would be eager to embrace them. I think the Obliviation has some side effects that make a person more easy going, more loving. Look at Lockhart. He is crazy as a loon, but he wouldn’t hurt a fly. He is like a small child, very trusting, eager to please. In many ways, Lucius is much the same. He has gained an innocence that I’m not sure he ever possessed before.”

Severus sat back and gazed at his friend. “I think that whatever you choose, he will still be the young innocent that we see before us now. The spell has altered his personality for the better.”

Narcissa looked to Draco. He regarded her seriously. “What do you think, Mother?”

Narcissa took a deep breath. She furrowed her brow, deep in thought. Finally, she made a decision.

“I think we should leave it as it is for now. He has heard the truth, yet I doubt he will remember what we have told him. Let’s let him get stronger in his mind. Then we can re-evaluate the situation.”

“Mother, either we tell him now until he remembers, or we never tell him. He will never get much better than he already is.”

Narcissa turned to Sybill. “What do you think?” she asked.

Sybill began to stutter. “It… it’s your family… Narcissa. I have no right…”

“Because of your vision, my husband is alive and with us. In a way, he is better than he ever was because he isn’t shackled with the weight of trying to live up to the Malfoy name. He’s not filled with the hate he had wrapped inside of him for years. In a way, you have freed him. I value your opinion.”

Sybill looked to Severus, who took her hand in his and squeezed it supportively. How she wished she could will a vision to her right now. She was at a total loss. She wasn’t sure which was the right decision. Perhaps that was the answer in itself. Maybe there was no right or wrong to this dilemma. She looked back to Narcissa.

“If it were me, I would want to know. I think if you describe it so that he knows that it was a mistake and that he doesn’t have to choose that lifestyle again, he will accept it and move on. It’s a great part of him. You have to consider also that he will be exposed to the outside world at some point. There’s really no hiding it from him. Even a casual contact with anyone would bring parts of his past up that could disturb him if he is not aware of them.”

Narcissa looked down at her hands. “You’re right, of course.”

Sybill put a hand over Narcissa’s. “We will be here with you. If we repeat it enough for him this weekend, he will absorb much of it. The repetitions after that will be easier.”

Narcissa looked up at Sybill and smiled at her. “I must thank you again. Our family owes you a great deal, Sybill.”

Sybill squeezed her hand and smiled back.
oooOOOooo



Lucius had emerged from his bedroom an hour later, unable to recall anything that had been told to him. They explained again about his Death Eater associations, trying to deliver it as lightly as possible. Lucius again fled to his room.

The scene repeated over and over again the entire weekend. Lucius spent a lot of time in his room. By the second day, Lucius remembered small things, like his family was involved in something nefarious. Slowly, he came to know the entire truth and remember it. The last time he came out of his room that weekend, he had a look of determination on his face.

“This Voldemort is dead, you say?” he asked to the four who were gathered in the sitting room.

Severus nodded in the affirmative.

“Then we are free from him?” he asked again.

“Yes, love,” Narcissa acknowledged.

“Then we no longer need to worry about being involved in such horrible things?” he questioned stiffly.

“Of course not, Father,” Draco admonished.

Lucius smiled brightly. “Then we are free.”

He rushed to Narcissa’s side and pulled her up from her seat and hugged her tightly.

“I’m sorry I got us involved in such horror,” he told her. “I don’t know why I was the way I was before, but I assure you, I have no intention of following such beliefs again.”

“My darling, do not blame yourself,” Narcissa begged. “We all were fooled by him.”

“I would like to think that I would never endanger you or our son in such a way.” Lucius pulled back and looked deeply into her eyes. “I love you both, you know.”

Tears filled Narcissa’s eyes. It was the first time he had said that he loved her in over ten years. She looked into his face and saw the man she had married. He looked a bit more innocent and lighthearted than he had ever looked before, but he was her husband. The man she had fallen in love with.

“Oh, Lucius!” she cried as she pulled him close and kissed him. He pulled her closer, and they became the only ones in the room for a little while as they showed their affection to one another.

Draco had just sat there with his mouth agape. Between the declaration of his father’s love and the display before him, he was totally at a loss for words. He had found himself in such a position very rarely in his life.

Sybill beamed at the couple and then looked toward Severus. His eyes glimmered with affection. Obviously the loving atmosphere in the room was catching, because he leaned toward her and kissed her sweetly. Draco grunted.

“I’m surrounded by saps,” he muttered. The two couples ignored him. He cleared his throat.

“Ahem, single, lonely man here! Would you four stop it for Merlin’s sake? You’re all making me want to vomit!”

Severus and Sybill separated as Severus cast a caustic glare at Draco. Draco cringed but continued to berate them.

“You have to admit, the thought of two of your old professors snogging senseless is enough to make anyone want to leave the country. And my parents… they’re just as old as you two, if not older!”

Lucius and Narcissa had broken apart at this time also, but Lucius was holding Narcissa close as they gazed at their son as he ranted.

“Don’t worry, boy,” Lucius offered. “You’ll find the right girl soon. That is, if you left the house.”

Draco whipped his head around. “I stay because of you!”

Lucius glanced lovingly at Narcissa. “I think your mother is capable of caring for me from this point on.”

Draco arose, slightly annoyed. He was used to being pushed away by his father. He began to stalk from the room. Lucius’ hand on his shoulder stopped him.

“Son,” Lucius called to him.

Draco turned and looked to his father curiously. He had not heard his father call to him with emotion in his voice for some time.

Lucius continued. “Thank you for all of your help. You are a fine man, and I’m proud to be your father. I just wish I could remember you as a youth.”

Draco saw the sincerity in his father’s face. He felt a lump form in his throat. “It’s all right, Father. We have a lifetime to get to know each other again.”

Lucius pulled Draco to him then and hugged him tightly. “I love you, Draco. Never forget that.”

All of Draco’s reserve fell away as he grasped at his father and tears fell down his cheeks. “I never thought I would hear you say that to me,” he told his father. “I love you too. Thank you for coming back to us.”

Severus nudged Sybill, and the two of them rose from their seats. With a nod to Narcissa, they slipped out of the cottage and Disapparated away, leaving the family to do their own healing in private.
oooOOOooo



Severus guided Sybill up to her rooms. They entered her sitting room and quietly eased themselves onto the couch. Severus pulled her into his arms.

“Do you think Lucius will be all right?” he asked.

“I do,” Sybill said determinedly.

“He seems to be a different man. He isn’t a simpleton either, like Lockhart. That was our greatest fear.”

“He has the love of his family and friends to guide him,” Sybill remarked. “I don’t think Lockhart had any friends, as he ostracized his family with his braggadocio years ago.”

“It’s nice to see Lucius not bound by stupid pureblood rules,” Severus mused. “He can finally be the man he should have been.”

“Mmm… yes. It seems the death of Voldemort has opened the door for many people to become what they couldn’t be before.”

There was a knock at her door. Sybill groaned as she got up to answer it. She wasn’t in the mood for visitors. The only visitor she wanted was already sitting next to her. She opened the door to find a fidgeting Harry Potter standing there.

“Professor Trelawney, I just wanted to take a minute and thank you,” Harry said.

Sybill’s eyebrows rose. “For what?” she asked curiously.

“Well, for your advice last summer.” Harry glanced behind her and noticed Snape sitting on the couch. He furrowed his brow as he wondered about that. “Um…” He wasn’t sure what he wanted to say for a minute. Finally, it came back to him. “I did what you advised. You were right. The head Auror just retired last week, and if I hadn’t started my studies, I would not have been able to study with him.”

“Edward Grieg has chosen to retire?” Sybill said incredulously. “He’s what… one hundred and ten years old?”

Harry laughed. “He is! But he is better than any Auror in the Ministry. I didn’t know you knew him.”

“I don’t know him very well. The Grieg family was old friends of my parents. I used to listen to him tell of his escapades as an Auror in my youth.” Sybill smiled. “He’s quite the tale teller.”

Harry smiled back. “Yes, he is. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made.”

“Well, Harry, there’s probably another decision that would be even better.”

“Please, not you too! Everyone’s bugging me to ask Ginny to marry me.”

Sybill laughed. “Then maybe it’s time for you to listen to everybody!”

Harry frowned. “I just don’t want to rush her,” he mumbled.

Sybill folded her arms and leaned against the doorframe. “Do you love her?”

Harry nodded.

“Does she love you?”

He nodded again.

“Why would you think you were rushing her? It’s been almost a year since Voldemort’s defeat.”

“I know. Honestly, when I think of my future, I can’t imagine it without her. I just don’t want her to feel that she has to say yes simply because everyone expects that of us.”

Sybill nodded. “That does make sense, but if she loves you, she’ll want to be with you anyway.”

Harry nodded again.

“Look, Harry, only you can know when the time is right. It doesn’t matter if everyone on the earth is telling you to marry her. You should only do it when it feels right.”

“It does feel right, Professor.”

“Then what are you waiting for?”

Harry brightened. “I don’t know,” he answered finally. He stuck his hand out to Sybill, and she took it firmly as he pumped it up and down. “Thanks again, Professor. I appreciate all you’ve done for me.” Harry blanched. “I’m sorry for the way I treated you in school.”

“Harry… we’ve already discussed that. There’s nothing to forgive.”

Harry smiled and bid her goodbye.
oooOOOooo



Sybill closed the door and returned to her spot on the couch next to Severus. He pulled her close and rested his chin on her head. Her conversation at the door with Potter was causing him to evaluate his life and his relationship with Sybill. She was truly a stunning witch, and he was incredibly happy to have her interest. Having her as part of his life felt right. Imagining life without her made his chest clench within him. Perhaps it was time to deepen their relationship.

He pulled back and looked at Sybill. She stared up at him with a quizzical look.

Would this beautiful witch really want to shackle herself to me forever? Would she want to marry me and spend the rest of her life with me?

He saw it then. It was radiating from her. Utter devotion. He took in a sharp breath. He’d never expected anyone to look at him like that. Despite the impossibility of it, Sybill Trelawney loved him.

I’d better do something about this before she comes to her senses and realize just who she fell in love with.

“Don’t,” Sybill said.

Severus furrowed a brow at her. “Don’t what?”

“Don’t sit there and think you’re not worth my time.”

Severus narrowed his eyes at her. “Did you just have a vision, or are you using Legilimency on me?”

“Neither, love, you are just easy to read.”

Severus scoffed. “I am not! If I were, I would be dead several times over.”

She pulled his head forward and placed a kiss on each eyelid. “It’s these. They give you away every time.”

Sybill pulled away and stared into his black, fathomless eyes. “Stop feeling unworthy of my affection.”

“You have to admit, you could do much better. I am not what anyone would call a prize catch.”

“Don’t,” Sybill reiterated as she brushed a lock of hair back behind his hear. “I don’t really care what anyone else would call you. You are mine, and I love you.”

“Why?”

“You’re everything I’ve always wanted in a man. You’re intelligent, you’re funny in a sarcastic way, and you’re good looking.”

Severus scoffed.

Sybill narrowed her eyes at him. “You’re good looking,” she said a little more forcefully.

Severus waved his hand in front of her face. “Have you lost your sight?”

“Snarky git.”

“Blind witch.”

“Foolish man.”

“Crazy, lovesick fool.”

“Man I want to be with forever.”

Severus’ eyes widened. “Do you mean it?”

Sybill smiled. “Of course I mean it. I want your awesomely sexy self with me forever.”

“Sexy, hmm?”

“Oh, yes! Those eyes, that nose, those lips, all are incredibly sexy.”

His hand came up, and he caressed her cheek with his thumb. He gently urged her toward him and kissed her softly. He pulled back and gave her an inquisitive stare.

Sybill opened her eyes and smiled lovingly at him.

“Definitely sexy,” she said before they returned to their impassioned kisses.
oooOOOooo



Much later, Severus and Sybill were arm in arm watching the fire in the fireplace. Sybill rubbed Severus’ chest as she laid her head on it. She listened to his breathing. It soothed her and made her feel at peace.

“Severus?” she called to him.

Severus opened his eyes. “Yes, love?”

“I think it’s time I moved back to my cottage. It’s been months since I’ve been in any danger. I miss it.”

Severus’ grip tightened on Sybill. “Must you go back?”

Sybill pulled away and looked at him. “You know that I do. I love that house. I’ve missed it terribly. I want to return to it.”

Severus frowned. “Very well. I will help you move your things. I suggest you keep the wards on it. You never know when an enemy might decide to pay a visit.”

Sybill turned her head and stared into the fire. “You’re right of course,” she said finally. “I’d been hoping to just live normally, without all of the security measures, but I suppose I’ll never really lead a normal life, will I, Severus?”

“Your involvement with the war is too extensive for you to live a normal life, Sybill. You and I will always have to watch our backs.”

Sybill nodded and leaned back into him. “I’ll watch your back if you watch mine.”

Severus smiled. “I would have it no other way.”


A/N: Next up: A surprise for Sybill.

Thanks again for reading. Thank you, Lilith Kayden, for your beta work.



The Real Me by debjunk [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved