Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

There are two non-consensual situations within this chapter, for those who prefer to be warned.

The Snape family spent their summer vacation at Severus's home on Spinner's End. The neighborhood was a bit derelict, but Severus enjoyed taking his daughter to the same park he used to visit as a child. He took a certain pleasure in placing Emily in the landmarks of his childhood and finding that she fit right in. It proved to him that it wasn't Lily he had loved so much as what she stood for in his mind.

Severus found that his more secret activities became more active over the summer. Just before the school year ended, he had a conversation with Dumbledore and later took some very important information to his other master. His other master was delighted and brought Snape along when the Death Eaters went to a cottage in a small town.

This was the moment the Dark Lord had hoped for since hearing of the prophecy. He would crush this family and prevent his own downfall. He was in such high spirits that his followers cast the Dark Mark into the sky before entering the house. Upon crashing the door open, however, they found that they had been premature in their celebration. All signs were that the inhabitants of the home had left minutes earlier. In great anger, Voldemort ordered his band of followers to go back to Malfoy Manor.

Emily had to reach an arm out to pull her husband into their house when he arrived. He was in as bad a shape as he had been the day he took the Mark upon his arm. She guided him to the couch in the sitting room and helped him lie down. Shushing her toddler who had started to ask questions, she went to the kitchen for potions and bandages.

“What happened?”

“I need you to send a Patronus to Dumbledore. Tell him it was tonight and that I would like to report. He should come by Floo.”

Emily cast the required spell and lit the fire in the sitting room, although the night was warm. She then asked enough about the tortures to which Severus had been exposed that she could ease his pains and cure his injuries. Moments later the Headmaster of Hogwarts stood in the room, dusting off his robes. Emily snuffed out the fire and went back to work on her husband.

“They were convinced,” were Severus's first words to Dumbledore. “They saw that it was where they had been living and that they had left quickly. They left a guard there to see if anyone will come back.”

“Yet you were tortured anyway,” said Emily, her voice full of tears. She was almost done treating him and her professional demeanor was wearing off.

Her husband patted her hand. “It wasn't a successful raid. He didn't destroy the one with the power to destroy himself. It was my fault for not finding out sooner. He punished everyone for being so slow to get there, too.”

Dumbledore entered the conversation. “Did he say what the next step is?”

“He says he has another spy, someone who will know everything. I think he means to compromise one of the Marauders, if he hasn't already.”

“We will have to use a Fidelius Charm.”

“It should be you, Headmaster.”

“Call me Albus, please.” Dumbledore paced in the small room. “James will want to use one of his friends. I can tell him that one of his friends has become a spy but he won't believe me. Yet the evidence points to the truth of Voldemort's statement. Someone has been passing information.” He saw the look on Emily's face. “I know it's not Severus, Emily. It's information he doesn't know.” The Headmaster put it aside to think over later. “So, Severus, do you think his trust in you is greater after today?”

“Yes. I was invited to the festivities that followed. They kidnapped a Muggle girl, Albus, and I cannot say aloud what they did to her. They didn't make me do anything, but I did have to watch, on top of the other punishments I had to take.”

The Headmaster patted the younger man's shoulder. “We will keep an eye out for her and do what we can. Will you be all right?”

“Emily has fixed my pains and injuries. It will take a while to absorb what I have seen and heard tonight.”

“Let me know if it's too much. We will find a way to get you out if we need to. Emily, keep your chin up.” He bent over and kissed Hope's cheeks. Emily had put her in the wind-up swing and she was dozing. “You're as beautiful as ever, little one.” In a flash he was gone.

Emily turned back to her patient. “Are you ready for the last potion? You should probably go upstairs first.”

Severus let his wife guide him up the stairs and through the necessary procedures for getting to bed. He lay back and listened as she went back down and got their little one. As she put their daughter in bed, he listened to the soft good nights and kisses and drank the last potion. Finally, he lay contentedly within Emily's comforting embrace.

One couldn't tell such a wife about the horrible things the Death Eaters, including Bellatrix Lestrange, did to the Muggle girl. He couldn't tell her about the comments he received from the Death Eaters about being too timid or perhaps too sick from his punishments to take a turn abusing the girl. He couldn't tell how the master had interpreted his reticence to be a single minded lust for another woman. He couldn't tell her about how Malfoy had laughed and made a comment about Mrs. Snape and her attributes. A wife as sweet and guiltless as Emily wouldn't understand such things. Severus was barely willing to acknowledge their existence himself. Emily was too good for it all. He sighed with contentment in his present state and let the potion guide him to sleep.




Severus couldn't tell Emily about the gleam in the Dark Lord's eye when she was mentioned. He didn't see it. The Dark Lord thought he knew about the lady Severus desired and had plans to reward his servant with that very lady. The mention of the other lady brought him to another point. Severus's wife owed a debt and he would collect one day. The thought that she might be attractive gave him an idea.

“Malfoy, come here,” he beckoned.

Lucius stood before him. “My Lord?”

“Tell me about Mrs. Snape. I assume you greeted her as you greet all women?”

“Ah, yes,” said Lucius, smiling at the memory. “Her face isn't much to look at. Not awful, just not very memorable. Her form, however, I still have dreams about. It's clear to see why Snape wouldn't want that Muggle when he has the delightful Emily waiting for him. I think even I could be faithful to a woman like that.”

“Not likely.” Bellatrix overheard this exchange and weighed in. “Rumor within the family is that she held off my cousin Sirius for three years. There's only one reason he would wait for any girl, since he could have almost any girl he wanted. He must have found her particularly attractive.” She smiled cruelly.

The Dark Lord decided. “Lucius, go get your wife. I would like to add a couple of guests to our next dinner party.” He turned and looked at Bellatrix, whose smile was turning to a look of petulance. “It doesn't mean I love you less, my dear. It is simply one of the necessities of war. One must think of the future.”




Emily was preparing a quiet celebration for her second wedding anniversary when she received an owl from Narcissa Malfoy. The note asked her to meet Narcissa at a particular address on Diagon Alley that afternoon. Severus had been gone all day and Hope was spending the weekend with Margo. Emily estimated that she could still run this errand and be home in time to greet her husband, so she went.

As soon as she arrived, Narcissa whisked her through a dingy door and up a staircase into what must have been the most exclusive dress shop in Wizarding London. Emily was stripped down to her underwear and measured. Narcissa looked between various models of dresses and Emily's figure. “You have been invited to a dinner party at our home, tonight, Emily, and it's imperative that you look just right.”

“But—“

“Severus will be there, too. He's already at a meeting there. You will meet many important people in a certain circle, Emily. Hardly anyone gets to do that without becoming one of them. This is a great honor.”

Narcissa finally decided upon a gown for Emily as well as one for herself. Emily was allowed to put her own robes back on and then Narcissa led as they used the Floo to arrive at Malfoy Manor. Emily's hostess took her to a bedroom and left her there.

Emily was given no rest as a flurry of hairdressers and house-elves prepared her for the dinner party. When they were done, Narcissa came back, looking chic and elegant in a strapless black gown, her long blond hair somehow piled up equally elegantly on her head. She looked Emily over from every angle and finally nodded.

Emily's dress was something a Greek goddess might have worn, soft fabric draping and clinging to her shape. Much was left uncovered around Emily's shoulders and arms, but the skirt was full. Narcissa had chosen a color of icy blue that contained a hint of silver. Emily's eyes looked a much brighter shade of blue as a result. Her hair had been swept up onto her head as well and Emily would have felt cold and naked if she didn't have the matching wrap that came with the dress.

Something about the wrap amused Narcissa, who declared Emily ready and finally relented to her pleas to see her husband. “I will send Severus up, but you must be back downstairs in no more than five minutes, Emily. This is a very important evening for your husband and therefore you, too.

“Emily?”

Suddenly Severus was before her and she felt relieved. He walked through the room and kissed her, placing two rings on her finger with her wedding ring. “Severus, what—”

“Quietly,” he said in a low voice. “We need to play this out. Don't forget to hide your feelings.”

“I'm nervous.”

“That's fine. Let me look at you.” Severus looked at Emily as critically as Narcissa had, but she felt warmed under his gaze. “Happy Anniversary. You are breathtaking, my dear. They will all love you.” He kissed her again and took her downstairs to where the other guests were gathered before dinner.

As Severus introduced her to the various people in the room, Emily was surprised by the way he behaved. He was acting in a deferential manner that she didn't think she had ever seen except when he had addressed a professor as a student. It reinforced her concerns about this dinner party. She realized that this was part of the role he played in this world and that as much depended upon her actions tonight as they did upon his.

Emily found that she had been seated several places down from the head of the table, while her husband was immediately to the left of the head spot. Bellatrix Lestrange was on the right. Everyone stood at their place until the guest of honor arrived. As Lord Voldemort walked into the room, Emily became aware of a sense of powerful magic that was oppressive and chilling. She was determined to help her husband, and smiled as she saw the others were doing.

As dinner progressed, Emily chatted with her dinner partners while keeping an eye on her husband. Severus appeared to be completely unconcerned as he ate his dinner and spoke, not seeming to notice that both the Dark Lord and Bellatrix were constantly glancing at Emily, he with an interested look and she with an angry glare.

During one lull in the conversation, Emily chanced to look at the rings on her finger. One was a diamond solitaire and the other a band that matched her wedding ring with small diamonds around the diameter of it. Emily looked at these reminders of her husband's love and smiled up at him. The person sitting at the head of the table intercepted this glance and thought it was for him.

Dinner was eaten and toasts were made. Emily stood as everyone else did, and looked up to find herself standing next to the guest of honor, who held out his arm. “It would please me, Mrs. Snape, if I could have a word with you.” Emily looked at her husband who nodded almost imperceptibly and put her hand on that arm. As she turned, her wrap fell to the floor as if snatched away and she was unable to retrieve it. Looking around the table, she saw her hostess holding her wand and looking coolly pleased.

Emily's companion guided her into a private library. He stood her in front of a roaring fire and proceeded to walk around her, looking intently at her. Although the fire was warm, Emily's nervousness and the removal of her wrap, combined with the cut of the dress, resulted in an appearance almost as revealing as if she had been completely naked.

“I've always wanted to meet the young woman who stole Severus Snape from the Death Eaters,” he finally said.

“He's your servant anyway,” replied Emily, quietly.

“Yes, but not as effectively, and not as close to me as he would have been. You used strong magic, Emily, if I may call you that, and I have decided what I want in return.”

“Are you hoping I will become a Death Eater?”

“No, although if things go as I intend, I will leave my mark on you. Yes, you have a very pleasing shape and much to hold a man's interest. Your face is not memorable but pleasant enough. Narcissa has dressed you brilliantly tonight. She has been very impressive in this task I set her. Meanwhile, you have been a quite proficient adversary in the matter of Severus Snape. ”

He took a step closer. “Can you guess what I want, Emily?”

“No.” She looked at the carpet and focused on her breathing so that the fear brought on by his nearness would not become obvious.

“I have decided that I would like an heir of my own. I don't actually need one, yet such a person might come in handy. I think you would do admirably as the mother of my heir.”

Emily looked up with a white face. He was standing even closer. “Surely there are others.”

“None that interest me the way you do. I'm fascinated that an apparently ordinary witch like you was able to thwart me in my desire to bring Severus into my circle. You have also already given birth to a future Death Eater whom I am told shows signs of being as strong a witch as her father is a wizard. Why not a child of mine, who will be as strong as I am?”

“And if I refuse?”

“I will kill your husband. I would hate to lose him. He's a powerful wizard and well placed in my enemy's world, but I would kill him and then you would be mine, anyway.”

Emily did not take her eyes from the face of the wizard who was threatening her. “But if I agree to do what you want, my husband will know. He will know and try to kill you and most likely die.”

“Yes, that is a problem.” Emily's companion reached out his hand and touched Emily. “But I think I'm willing to risk it.” His touch started at her shoulder and traveled around from there. It did not ignite the fires of her husband's touch but was strangely more arousing than when Sirius touched her. This feeling of desire troubled her. “Ah, your experiences in the past were with a school boy. You will learn the difference, Emily.” His whisper directly into her ear sent a shiver down her spine.

He stopped suddenly when he got to the firm bulge just below her middle. “What is this?” he hissed.

“My baby. Surely you knew—it is no secret—I'm pregnant.”

“When will this child be born?” His eyes were completely red and narrowed to slits.

“Early in the new year.”

The man in the room took a few steps back. “Thwarted again.” He looked at Emily and smiled in a manner that frightened her more than anything had, yet. “Another future member of our family, to go with young Margo, so much the better.” He thought a moment. “You know that we are searching for a young wizard named Harry Potter and his parents?” Emily nodded.

“I have arranged between your husband and myself to spare the mother if possible. So this is what will happen: After I have dispatched young Potter and his father, and after this new servant of mine within you is born, Severus will no doubt want to console the grieving widow and won't mind if I spend some moments with you. Until that time, I will keep an eye out for you, Emily. I look forward to our hopefully fruitful partnership.” He sat down and looked at her one last time. “You may leave. I need to speak with Narcissa.”

Emily forced herself to walk calmly and not too quickly to the door, which opened just as she reached it. Severus was right on the other side, holding the wrap that had fallen to the floor. He folded her into it as he folded her into his arms, erasing the fears of the last few minutes. The doubts weren't quite so easy to dispel.

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved