Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS-Centric

The Highest Value by maryh [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: JK Rowling owns the Potterverse, and the characters, of course, unless I end up coming up with any original ones. And I'm not making any money on this.
*********************************

The Snapes were getting used to bad news. In February, the IRA had planted a bomb on a private coach in nearby Manchester. It had exploded on the way to an army base in Catterick, North Yorkshire, killing 12 people. And over the summer, there were several bombings in London. The bombs couldn't touch Diagon Alley itself, but Eileen still had to Apparate outside the Alley somewhere in Muggle London.

And of course, the mills continued to close down. And Tobias' breathing problems had reached to Wednesday. But he was still employed.

On the other hand, while there was an increasing level of harassment of Muggle-borns and the few related Muggles who visited Diagon Alley, there had been no actual fatalities there as yet.

For the first time, Severus actually felt a sense of dread, both on leaving his parents back in Spinner's End, and going to Hogwarts for his fourth year where one of Regulus Black's cronies, sixth year Avery, would be the ranking Slytherin. Every item in his trunk was protected with carefully cast wards.

**********************************

Lucius and Rodolphus were having tea in the solarium at Malfoy Manor. It had become common knowledge that Regulus Black called the shots at Hogwarts. There was more at stake now than a grungy factory boy with a talent for hexes. This was a direct challenge to Malfoy's power as a patron. Lucius had prided himself on not just taking his father's network for granted, but building up his own as well. This was a test of whether he could also maintain it on his own.

"I think you should seriously consider whether Snape has become a liability," Lestrange was saying. "His ancestry is questionable, to say the least. Yes, he does have talents, but they're not irreplaceable. Do you really want a war over him?"

"That's not the point, Roddy. Snape is mine. You wouldn't tell me to look the other way, or make nice, if Reggie broke in here," he said, indicating the solarium with a wave of his arm, "and started smashing windows."

"The problem is, how do you control Reggie without coming straight out in favor of low-bloods? That's how it will be read, you know."

"But why?!" Lucius slammed his fist on the white wicker tea table in frustration, which didn't even make a satisfying thud, but just gave way before the young man's fist. "Do you have any idea of how many people I'd lose if I suddenly started abandoning everyone like Snape? This is what that so-called 'Lord' Voldemort is preaching, isn't it?"

"Not exactly, Lucius," Lestrange answered. "Yes, he talks a good game for the Blacks, and he certainly realizes pure-bloods aren't getting the respect they deserve. But that's not the main thing he has to offer. He's working on immortality itself!"

"A Philosopher's Stone?"

"I don't think so. But whatever it is, he's made considerable progress. Isn't that worth considering?"

"Are you trying to recruit me? Don't tell me you've already joined?"

"Bella's been pressuring me to, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. But I don't want to commit myself if you disapprove. You have the prior claim to my loyalties, as always."

"If I join this Lord Voldemort, what will happen to my people whose blood isn't pure enough?"

"Your people will be your people. Lord Voldemort is more interested in getting the right pure-blood families behind him than interfering with how you deal with inferiors. And it could be a way to take care of Reggie as well."

"Really? How so?"

"He idolizes this Lord Voldemort. When, I mean if, you join him, the first thing he'll do is tell Reggie to stop undermining you at Hogwarts and with your people. That war will be won almost before it begins in earnest."

Lucius paused, seriously considering the possibility. "I am not ruling it out, but I am also not prepared to commit myself yet. What is your backup plan?"

Lestrange sighed. So close! But patience, patience. "Well, here are some ideas," he began.

*****************************

Severus noticed that the definition of what was considered "dark" varied. If one of Potter's gang used a jinx or a hex, that was "just a joke." If he used exactly the same jinx or hex, it was "dark." Despite his reputation of interest in the Dark Arts, Severus had gotten to his fourth year at Hogwarts without ever using any magic that was unquestionably dark.

**********************************

Avery had been lusting after this position ever since he had arrived at Hogwarts. Now, he was going to call the shots. Black had been useful to get around Crabbe, but now Crabbe was no longer in the picture, so he no longer needed Black. That business with Lupin had been unfortunate. He certainly didn't want to impede Snape's ability to act. No, indeed, he wanted to make full use of the fourth year's considerable talents.

Severus entered the sixth year boy's dormitory. His face was schooled to polite indifference, and he was prepared to see Black and Crouch, or at least Black, whispering in the new ranking Slytherin's ear. Instead, he found himself alone with Avery, who was sitting in a comfortable armchair set against the one wall that had no beds. He realized, abruptly, that none of his other bosses at Hogwarts had ever deigned to deal with him personally. Lucius had worked through Lestrange, Narcissa through the Rosiers, and Crabbe through those blasted notes.

Avery drew up another, less impressive armchair, for Snape. "Severus, so glad to see you," he said pleasantly. "Please, sit down."

This was another first. Severus usually dealt with his superiors standing up. Part of him was pleased, but most of him was suspicious. Avery hadn't been so friendly last year.

"I'd like to make sure we get the year off to a good start," began Avery. "I realize there was some ... unpleasantness ... last year because of Crabbe, and yes, Black. But I plan to make some changes this year. And I want you to be part of them."

Severus remained still for a moment. Was Avery trying to trick him into saying something disloyal about Crabbe or Black? "I'm sure Crabbe did what the situation required," he said carefully. "As I'm sure you will."

Avery smiled broadly. The boy certainly is discreet. He remembered Malfoy crowing over the new addition to his patronage several years back at some obligatory pure-blood function. Discreet. And compliant, he remembered.

"Of course, Severus. And Regulus will too, when he's a seventh year. But that's still a few years off. I think you'll find I take a different approach than he did."

Severus inclined his head in a slight bow as an answer. Perhaps the next two years wouldn't be as bad as he had feared. Still, he had no idea what Avery wanted from him.

"You're a very talented wizard, Severus. I think I can do a better job putting your talents to use than ... others have chosen to," Avery continued. "Advanced tutoring in Charms, in Potions. And inventive too. I understand that you often come up with your own hexes for your assignments?"

"Yes, sir," Severus answered, still wondering where this was going. Was Avery offering him a position as his lieutenant? In his first year at Hogwarts, he had been naive enough to consider that a possibility at some point during his school career, but first Narcissa and then Black, especially Black, had beaten that idea out of him.

"You're also quite a student of the Dark Arts, aren't you?" Avery continued.

Severus maintained his indifferent expression, but felt a cold lump in the pit of his stomach. Of course Avery wasn't interested in making him his lieutenant. "I'm rather good with jinxes and hexes and curses. That's not precisely the same thing," he demurred.

"No, no, of course not," Avery said, laughing as if Snape had told a fine joke. "Don't tell me you haven't AK'ed a few flies by now. Or tried out a Crucio on some unsuspecting rat."

Severus was on full alert now. He raised his eyebrow, having learned that this was often a good tactic to gain time or get more information from the other person. Was Avery serious, or was he trying to get him expelled?

He had thought about the Unforgivables, of course, and they weren't technically illegal on animals. Or at least not "unforgivable" on animals.

The Cruciatus Curse he had always dismissed out of hand. Its only possible use, other than pure sadism, was to force the victim to tell a secret or to agree to something, and stories told, or agreements made, under such conditions were notoriously unreliable.

The Killing Curse might seem to have its uses, but in an actual fight it, too, was not the best method. It took much too long to say, with so many syllables, and it wouldn't stop the momentum of an already moving body. Impedimenta was the better choice on both counts.

The only Unforgivable that Severus had ever even considered learning was the Imperius.

Avery watched Snape carefully for a reaction. There was no sign of shock or disgust from the other boy. Good. Very good.

"Not that I'd ever ask for anything illegal, of course," said Avery in a tone that told Snape he would in a second if he thought he could get away with it, "but a little Cruciatus on someone's cat or kneazle might not go astray, under certain circumstances."

"I don't think I'd be much use to you if I got expelled. It may not be illegal, but I don't think the Headmaster would like it very much," Severus answered, slowly and carefully, keeping all emotion out of his voice.

"No, of course not," chuckled Avery. "We'd have to be very careful, very careful. And you're quite the man for Potions, too. Only the Gryffindor Mudblood is as good as you, I hear. I could see a use for a little Amortentia now and then. Just to encourage the reluctant, you understand," he added, leering.

"I see," Severus answered in the same careful tone. "I'm afraid that one's a bit beyond me just now." And that was the absolute truth.

"Hmmm, yes, I suppose it would be," mused Avery. "But there are other, less demanding versions I'm sure you could handle. Or maybe even come up with your own variation?"

"That's true," Severus answered. No sense lying, he would just be found out. "Is there something specific you had in mind right now?" he forced himself to ask, dreading the answer.

"No, not just now," Avery said pleasantly. "I just wanted to make sure we understood one another. I think you'll find this year much more pleasant than last."

"I'm sure I will," Snape answered, inclining his head politely to the sixth year.

"Good, good," said Avery. "Could you send in Black on your way out, Severus?"

As he left, Severus considered that the next two years might be even worse than he had feared.

*********************************


Author's note:

The information about the IRA bombings in 1974 is taken from the BBC website.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/4/newsid_4148000/4148933.stm
According to the BBC: "1974 was one of the deadliest years in the IRA's mainland bombing campaign."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/17/newsid_2514000/2514827.stm

The Highest Value by maryh [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved