Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

The Witching Hour by Lydia [Reviews - 3]

<<

Would you like to submit a review?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

At a quarter to nine, Snape laid aside his quill and the stack of as yet ungraded parchments. Why on earth, he wondered, had that woman sought out his company? More to the point, why had he accepted? He ran his hand through his lank black hair and sighed. The role as double agent had grown increasingly heavy since Voldemort’s reappearance. Snape felt wound far too tightly to deal with much else, yet wondered if, by accepting Livia’s offer, he had agreed to another heavy burden. He knew better than to think she wanted him for friendship.


After the battle at the Ministry between Order members and Voldemort’s Death Eaters, Lucius Malfoy had once again found himself arrested and brought before the Wizengamot. And once again, Lucius Malfoy had tried to dissemble, flatter, lie and spread enough gold around to find himself cleared of any misdoings. True, he had almost escaped banishment to Azkaban by a very narrow margin of votes. Certainly he had high hopes of leaving the wizard prison very soon. A man of Malfoy’s wealth and influence would not be held long in such a prison, no matter what the official Ministry position on Death Eaters and Dark Magic. Lucius Malfoy had to think that his release would come soon, either at the hands of the Ministry or at the hands of his master’s servants. Snape was certain that this would only serve to make Malfoy more circumspect in his actions. Lucius had always been a devious one; now, he had no choice but to be increasingly so. Imprisonment would not have curtailed Malfoy’s activities anymore than he wished. Snape wondered how much Livia’s appearance at Hogwarts had to do with Malfoy’s current state.


As Severus Snape pondered the woman’s appearance at Hogwarts, a knock sounded at his dungeon door and moments later, it opened to admit Minerva McGonagall. “Good evening, Severus. I won’t keep you long. May I enter?” Without an answer, she did so, settling herself in one of the dark green armchairs near the fireplace.


“Let me be frank. I overheard your conversation with our newest faculty member and I surmise that you plan on accompanying her this evening to the Hog's Head? Severus, do you think that plan wise?”


Settling into the other armchair, Severus tapped his chin with a slender finger and regarded the witch for moment before responding, “No, Minerva, I don’t. But, what would you have me do? Albus has put me in a very precarious position by hiring possibly one of the few people who could destroy what work I have done here. Along with her rather ungainly name, Miss Schlosser-von Tepes herself will prove, I think, unwieldy. Albus’s faith in the inherent goodness of people is deep … and often misplaced. I mistrust everyone, but I certainly mistrust her.”


Minerva sighed and smoothed her robes with one hand. “We ask much of you, Severus, a great deal more than we should. I’m afraid that your burden must now increase. I trust Albus with my life, but as you know, he is consumed of late with other matters.” She rose to stand and walked to the door. “Professor Malfoy Schlosser-von Tepes,” she said with a twist of her lips, “seems to desire your friendship. That might be worthwhile, to all of us. But, Severus, I must ask that you watch her. Enjoy your evening.” With that, she left the dungeons.


She was here to watch him, he was sure of it. And now he’d agreed to help her with that task. But, for what was she watching? Signs of loyalty? Of disloyalty? And to whom? Yet, no matter how much he cursed Albus Dumbledore for his prying, seeing, sympathizing eyes, Snape knew that he would never knowingly hire someone detrimental to the cause. So why, if she was so dangerous, was she here? Cursing himself for agreeing to this meeting, Snape snatched his cloak from its peg beside the door and swept out into the dungeons.


* * *


Although the nights had not yet become particularly cold, the castle tended to be cool, and so the fire crackled in the hearth in the Gryffindor common room. A few diligent students had books before them, but most sat in groups, chatting and laughing. Almost all of the first year, and not a few of the second year, students had placed themselves so as to surreptitiously watch Harry and his friends.


Ron and Harry were desultorily tossing a Weasley’s Giant Gobbly Gum-Gobber between them. “You two might be better employed by getting a head start on your homework!” announced Hermione, who had been busying herself with Madam Pythagora’s text on advanced Arithmancy. Ron looked at her morosely.



“Does it matter? We’ve got double potions on Monday, plus Malfoy’s cousin for this new art of war class … it won’t do us any good. We might as well enjoy our free time before we all get sent off to detention with Filch.”



Hermione laid aside her book. “Honestly! You two haven’t even given her a chance! Surely Dumbledore wouldn’t have hired someone who put the school – or the Order – in danger!”


Harry caught the Gobbly Gum-Gobber and set it on the table, where it lay twitching and shifting colours between lurid chartreuse green and bright pink. “There’s just something not right about her. She’s … well, she’s kind of creepy, you know? I mean, for one thing, look at – aside from Professor Lupin – the sort of people we’ve had as DADA professors; Dumbledore’s a great wizard, but look who he’s chosen for that position in the past few years! I just don’t trust her. She’s Malfoy’s cousin and she looked awfully cozy tonight with Snape. I just know – don’t ask me how – I just know that they’re up to something. I’ve never seen Snape talk so much to anyone as he did with her tonight. They’re plotting, I know it!”



* * *

At three minutes after the great clock struck nine, Severus Snape approached the doors of Hogwarts. Livia Malfoy Schlosser-von Tepes stood waiting in the hall, covered in a floor-length black cloak of velvet. She wore the hood thrown back to reveal its fur lining and an expression of amusement danced across her features. “I wondered, Severus, if you did intend to accompany me this evening, or if you intended to somehow escape your duty.” The emphasis she placed on the last word caused a slight shiver of worry to Severus, but he was nothing if not well used to hiding his feelings.

“Certainly not … Livia. Let us then away.”

And with that, the two of them walked out of Hogwarts and into the night.

The Witching Hour by Lydia [Reviews - 3]

<<

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved