Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS-Centric

The Four-House Tournament by The Snapettes [Reviews - 1]

>>

Would you like to submit a review?



The Goblet of Fire was a sentient artefact.

Created for the sole purpose of identifying the most worthy champion from each school, the Goblet had the ability to read the thoughts and sense the feelings of each applicant as they dropped their slip of parchment into its whitish-blue fire.

The Triwizard Tournament would test the champions’ magical prowess, and they would be required to cope with dangerous situations whilst maintaining their powers of deduction. But the Goblet searched not only for a candidate with sufficient daring and skill, but also for the entrant most worthy of representing their school.

Unaware of the Goblet’s method of identifying champions, the contenders were oblivious to the importance of their thoughts and feelings as they placed their names into the wooden chalice. They believed the act of submitting their name, alongside the name of their school, to be the only part of the selection process. This gave the Goblet an advantage.

But the Goblet was fallible; it had been enchanted by wizards who, like all human beings, were prone to error, and its sentience was not as complex as that of the Sorting Hat, which could make judgments by analysing information and recognising patterns.

As such, the Goblet did not notice a recurring theme in the thoughts of four Hogwarts hopefuls, each from differing Houses, as they entered themselves into the tournament; however, it judged each of their motives fairly on individual merit.


Penelope Clearwater

Angry and feeling maligned, the Ravenclaw has entered to prove a point to her boyfriend, Percy. She wants to regain his respect. And there is something else. Penelope hopes Professor Snape will see her in a different light...



Georgina Smyth

Diffident, and something of a loner, she wants to make her mark as a Slytherin. Moreover, Georgina wants to be noticed by her Head of House...



Alicia Spinnet

Bored, and disappointed by the cancelation of the inter-house Quidditch Cup; the Gryffindor’s unusual obsession with the Potions master is growing, and she hopes to impress him by becoming a Triwizard champion...



Luca Machali Caruso

Hurt by a recent break-up with his boyfriend, Hufflepuff Luca wants to cure his heartache by ensnaring Severus Snape. He hopes becoming a champion will place him in the limelight...



The Goblet was unaware that these students were involved in a dare with their House reputations at stake. Nor did it know they had been sneaking around and meeting in the Boathouse for weeks, buoyed by the revelation that their Houses had something in common: each of the aspiring champions were consumed with lust for the dark, brooding Head of Slytherin.




“I can’t believe that stupid Goblet chose Cedric Diggory instead of me!” Luca ranted, shivering slightly in the cool evening air of the Boathouse.

“I thought you’d be pleased!” Georgina replied, bemused, trying unsuccessfully to warm her hands on the dim flame from her oil lamp. “After all, he’s in the same House as you. How do you think I feel, knowing that Hogwarts have two champions and neither of them are Slytherin?”

“The whole thing is a fix.” Luca pouted at his childhood friend. “We’ve got an attention-seeking, speccy-eyed fourth-year, who happens to be Dumbledore’s favourite, and pretty-boy Diggory.”

“For a Hufflepuff, you’re not very loyal, Luca.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t see the point of being loyal at the moment. Look where it got me with Oliver Wood.”

Luca and Oliver had split up during the summer, due in part to Oliver’s move to Puddlemere United. In Luca’s eyes, Oliver had changed since he’d left Hogwarts to become a professional Quidditch player. But Luca was glad he’d had his oldest friend, Georgina, as a shoulder to cry on during the holidays. From the outside, a Hufflepuff and a Slytherin seemed an unholy union, but both were matched by a razor-sharp sense of humour and a shameless eye for the boys, not to mention a shared lust for their Potions master.

Their conversation died as they heard rusty hinges creaking on the portrait of Percival Pratt, and the pair turned to see Penelope and Alicia stepping through the secret passageway into the Boathouse, wearing expressions just as sullen as Luca’s. The new arrivals pulled up a wooden bench, and the four unsuccessful Triwizard entrants huddled by the light of Georgina’s lamp.

“Bit of an anti-climax, then,” Alicia said, breaking the silence.

Georgina nodded.

Penelope ran her fingers through her mane of wavy blonde hair, and her large blue eyes appeared preoccupied. Her plain, pale face would often light up with a dazzling smile, but when she was pensive or serious, she conveyed the requisite firmness of a stern Hogwarts Prefect.

The air in the underground harbour felt cold and clammy, and light flickered menacingly around the walls, casting shadows from the upturned boats hanging from the ceiling above. The group had chosen this meeting place for its privacy; very few students wandered down this far after dark, preferring the relative warmth of stairwells and alcoves inside the castle.

“What happened in Gryffindor Tower when Harry Potter turned in?” Luca asked Alicia.

The pretty, dark-skinned sixth-year raised her eyes from the floor. “Oh, there’s a party going on up there tonight,” she said in a voice which lacked enthusiasm. “Everyone’s pleased to have a Gryffindor in the tournament.”

Luca snorted derisively.

“What do the Hufflepuffs think about it all?” Alicia asked.

“That Potter is trying to steal Diggory’s thunder,” Luca replied, his concurrence evident in his soft brown eyes. “I don’t think he’ll get any support from our House.”

“Nor from Ravenclaw,” Penelope agreed.

“I think we all know which champion Slytherin will be rooting for,” Alicia chipped in before Georgina could speak.

“And it won’t be a fourteen-year-old who constantly craves the spotlight,” Georgina muttered loud enough to be heard, flicking her long, dark brown hair, and narrowing her olive-green eyes at the Gryffindor girl.

Alicia bristled, but felt too glum to care. She didn’t know the Slytherin seventh-year very well, and now that their inter-house bet was off, Alicia had no interest in sizing up her competition. None of them had been chosen to represent their school, and their chances of impressing Snape had slipped away. There was no need to continue meeting covertly in the bowels of the castle.

“Well, I suppose that’s it, then,” Alicia said eventually, after the foursome had sat in silence for a moment or two.

“Yep,” said Luca, and his lean frame straightened.

Penelope stood up, and Alicia moved to help slide the wooden bench back into its original place.

“What are you doing tomorrow?” Alicia asked the Ravenclaw Prefect. “It’s your eighteenth birthday, isn’t it?”

“Percy is coming to Hogwarts and taking me to Hogsmeade for a meal,” Penelope said, brightening a little.

“That’s nice of him,” Alicia commented. She’d never liked Percy Weasley, and if it hadn’t been for the Weasley twins’ presence on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, she would have chosen to have nothing to do with him. Nevertheless, Alicia was fond of Penelope and glad they’d become friends through their shared interest in Quidditch.

The four students walked towards the entrance to the secret passageway, guarded by a portrait of an erstwhile poet. Georgina held up her lamp to illuminate the red-robed wizard sitting at his writing desk, watching them intently and surprising them with his sudden interest in their little gathering. He cleared his throat affectedly.

“In days of old, when knights roamed the land,
They had to face trials to win a lady's hand.
Dragons to slay, demons to face,
Treasure troves searched for a trace
Of jewels precious and priceless
To win their heart's desire—
But, I daresay, your goal is worse than dragon's fire!
Yet why not follow the old tradition?
You could make this your joint mission!
You need not the Goblet to help you start,
You can still compete for the Potions master's heart!”

Percival Pratt leaned back in his painted chair and smiled smugly. He’d taken the four students completely unawares; the portrait hadn’t spoken to any of them since their initial visit to the Boathouse, when he’d encouraged them to speak in rhyme, and then told them he had no interest in further discourse.

“That guy is almost as big a prat as Percy Weasley,” Georgina muttered from the back of the group.

Luca elbowed her quietly in the ribs.

“Daft old coot,” said Alicia as she looked away from the poet’s portrait. “There’s no point trying to get Snape’s attention now! He’s not going to care about us when there are two Hogwarts champions competing in the Triwizard Tournament.”

Penelope assessed the oil-painted canvas, an expression of piqued interest on her face. “He’s just encouraging us to think creatively, that’s all.”

“What do you mean?” Alicia asked.

“He’s suggesting we have our own competition, outside of the Triwizard Tournament,” said Penelope.

“Now that is an idea,” Luca said sarcastically.

“Yeah, why don’t we compete to see which one of us gets closest to Professor Snape?” Georgina suggested with a smirk.

Her remark made them all laugh.

“That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day,” Luca said as he stepped through the portal.

They made their way through the passage to the Grand Staircase inside the castle, and then parted for their dormitories, smiling at the absurdity of Percival Pratt’s suggestion.




Georgina waited for Penelope outside the Prefects’ room as their Monday-morning gathering dispersed and the Hogwarts elite made their way down to breakfast. Penelope had appeared tired and disinterested throughout the meeting, and Georgina had tried to catch her eye on several occasions.

“Psssst!” she hissed as the slim, blonde-haired Ravenclaw stepped through the doorway with her head facing downward.

Penelope glanced sideways at the Slytherin Prefect, taking in Georgina’s voluptuous figure and her relaxed, almost provocative poise. Envious of Georgina’s assured, sensual air, Penelope reluctantly followed her to an adjacent corridor, wishing she had inherited her Muggle mother’s hourglass shape, instead of her Muggle father’s whippet-like frame.

The pair ensconced themselves in an alcove and waited for the line of Prefects to disappear from earshot. In the silence, Georgina admired a new silver bracelet gracing Penelope’s right wrist. The jewellery was ornamented with three plain quartz beads, roughly the same size as holly berries, threaded onto a simple silver wristlet. Georgina deemed the piece quite elegant, although evidently inexpensive.

“Do you like it?” Penelope asked, noticing Georgina’s interest in her bracelet.

“Yeah, it’s quite nice,” Georgina replied.

Penelope removed the wristlet and presented the piece to the Slytherin. “You can keep it.”

Georgina’s eyebrows rose at the offering, confused by Penelope’s obvious indifference towards the jewellery. “No, it’s alright, thanks.”

Penelope sighed and re-hooked the clasp around her wrist. “It was from Percy,” she explained, “which would have been nice, if he’d actually given it to me on my birthday. Instead, he stood me up. An owl arrived with the bracelet and a note saying the Department of International Magical Cooperation had been inundated with Howlers, and Percy had to spend the rest of the weekend clearing up the Triwizard mess for Mr Crouch.”

“I really don’t know what you see in him, Penny.” Georgina’s words were out before she’d even finished forming the thought. She inwardly cursed her free-speaking habit.

Penelope squeezed the bracelet and stared along the deserted corridor. “We’ve been together for a long time. And he’s a brilliant wizard. I just wish I’d been made Head Girl this year. Maybe then I wouldn’t feel so... inadequate.”

As usual, Georgina couldn’t hide her distaste. “You shouldn’t try to be someone you’re not, just to impress your boyfriend.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” Penelope retorted, holding back further comment on her Slytherin companion’s solitary nature. This Ravenclaw was not the sort of person who would intentionally wound, no matter what the provocation.

“I’ve been thinking about our bet,” Georgina ventured, changing the subject abruptly, “and I’ve had a few ideas.”

Penelope frowned at her pureblood companion.

“I think that portrait in the Boathouse was onto something the other night,” the Slytherin continued. “At lunchtime, I want to meet you back down there with Alicia and Luca.”

Penelope considered the request. “If it’s important, I can wander over to the Gryffindor table and ask Alicia.”

“Great. I’ve owled Luca; he’ll be there.” Georgina stood up, preparing to leave for breakfast in the Great Hall.

“What are you planning?” Penelope asked.

“Wait and see.”




“Are you actually serious?” Alicia asked disbelievingly, pulling her cloak around her shivering body to emphasise her chagrin at being dragged back down to the underground harbour.

“Yeah. Why not? The four of us have nothing spoiling for the rest of the year. We can have our own fun whilst Diggory and Potter get interviewed for the Daily Prophet and hobnob with Victor Krum,” Georgina reasoned, unsure why her companions were so reticent about her idea.

“I could use some excitement,” Penelope joined in, rubbing her hands together to keep them warm. “Doesn’t look like Percy’s going to be around much, and while the cat’s away...”

“The mouse flirts with danger and makes a pass at Professor Snape?” Luca finished sardonically.

Penelope narrowed her eyes and assessed the cute Italian boy. She had previously marvelled that the Hufflepuff had maintained his long friendship with Georgina, but now she saw that his quick-witted manner easily matched the Slytherin’s biting, outspoken temperament.

“No-one’s going to make a move on the professor,” Georgina cut in. “We’re going to compete for his affections: try to impress him and curry his favour.”

“I like the sound of having our own tournament,” Alicia said, a bubble of excitement rising in her chest.

“Me too.” Penelope smiled despite herself.

“What would be the point?” asked Luca, lagging several steps behind the girls.

“The point?” Georgina rejoined. “Have you not had a crush on Snape since – I don’t know – your first day at Hogwarts?”

“Yes,” Luca replied impatiently.

“Well, this is your chance to get him!” Georgina said, rolling her eyes for effect.

“We can organise our own tournament, Luca,” Alicia clarified, “for the sole purpose of attracting Snape’s attention. Think about it. You’re in Hufflepuff, I’m in Gryffindor, and we’ve got Prefects from Ravenclaw and Slytherin. We could have our own inter-house competition!”

“You girls are crazy!”

“If you’re not going to be in it, then that’s better odds for me to win,” Georgina remarked.

Luca assessed his friend cautiously. “You’re really serious?”

“Yes, I am. Why the hell not? I’ve got nothing to lose.”

For a handful of heartbeats, Luca considered his position.

Penelope stood with her hands resting on her hips, awaiting his decision.

“We haven’t got a trophy like the Triwizard Cup. So what’s the prize?” Luca asked eventually.

Alicia smirked. “Snape, you dimwit!”

At that, the contestants of the Four-House Tournament laughed together for the first time since their rejection by the Goblet of Fire.




They met again in the Boathouse the same evening, having spent time thinking about how they might organise their competition. Georgina had already ruminated over the possibilities at the weekend, and she offered them to the group. “I thought we could have three tasks, just like the Triwizard Tournament, but the deadline for our challenges could be the day before the actual Triwizard task. That way we can enjoy supporting Hogwarts in the real tournament.”

“I like that idea,” said Penelope.

“And we could adopt the rules of the tournament too. We stand alone in our competition with no outside help from anyone,” Georgina continued.

The foursome considered this proposal. Alicia immediately saw a problem.

“We should also agree not to sabotage each other’s efforts,” she said, eyeing the Slytherin deliberately.

“What kind of sabotage did you have in mind, Alicia?” Georgina asked pointedly.

“You know, getting each other into trouble, or trying to get someone expelled.”

“Or injuring each other,” Penelope piped in unexpectedly.

“Or making someone disappear,” Luca said, as if he’d been mulling over that very scenario all summer long.

“Wow,” Georgina said in astonishment. “Who’d’ve thought so much pent-up cunning lurked behind your polished veneers?”

“When in league with a Slytherin, think like a Slytherin,” Luca replied slyly.

His remark caused a ripple of laughter.

Georgina reluctantly agreed.

“I’d like to suggest two more rules,” Alicia continued awkwardly.

Luca groaned, but Alicia remained resolute. “First of all, no Felix Felicis.”

Penelope’s eyes widened. “Makes sense.”

Georgina reluctantly agreed. “And second?”

“We keep this a secret,” Alicia said seriously. “We can’t tell anyone about our tournament, or let anyone find out we fancy the Potions master.”

“Snape would have our guts for garters if he discovered what we were up to,” Georgina realised out loud.

“Yes, he would. And he’d never let us forget it,” Luca chimed.

“And if Gryffindor House find out I’ve got a crush on the Head of Slytherin, I’ll never live it down,” Alicia pointed out.

“I always thought it was strange for a Gryffindor to have the hots for Snape,” commented Luca. “When Penelope told Georgina about your little infatuation, I thought she was off her rocker.”

“Yes, well, when Penny told me about you two, I couldn’t believe there were three other people who were sweet on the professor. I mean, he’s not exactly Prince Charming or conventionally handsome.”

“But the man certainly has a way about him,” Luca mused. “So mysterious, so assured, so very, very sexy.”

“His sex appeal isn’t in question, Luca, but none of us can breathe a word about the object of our affections.”

“It’s okay, Alicia,” Penelope reassured. “We were all sworn to secrecy when we entered ourselves for the Triwizard Tournament. The same applies to this new Tournament.”

Alicia seemed appeased.

“So, what are we going to do for our three tasks?” Luca asked.

“We’ve not got very long for the first one; it takes place in three weeks’ time,” Georgina commented. “So how about we each try to win praise from Professor Snape during our Potions lesson?”

“That’s an easy one for a Slytherin to win,” Alicia remarked.

“Possibly,” Georgina replied, “but we could think of two more tasks which might be harder for a Slytherin to achieve.”

“Yes, like it would be harder for Georgina to get a detention,” Penelope commented.

“Fair enough,” Alicia agreed.

“That’s two tasks then,” Luca said. “Win praise and get detention. We should think of something a bit trickier as well, something we’ll have to work hard for.”

“I’ll leave that to you, Luca.” Georgina smirked.

“How are we going to measure success and decide who wins each task?” asked Alicia. “I’m in Potions with Luca, and Penny and Georgina are together in their Potions class, but it’s going to be difficult to provide witnesses. We can’t rely on vouching for each other.”

After pondering the conundrum for a while, Luca remembered a family member who might offer the solution. “I’ve got a cousin who runs a wizarding bookmaker’s... I’m sure they use charmed objects to monitor the outcome of bets. I reckon I could get him to charm something for us.”

Alicia felt a smile creep across her face. “That would be great. We could each carry something around which records our scores. What could we use?”

Penelope fiddled with her bracelet, running her fingertips over the three quartz beads. “That’s it!” she realised. “We could each wear one of these. They’re pretty cheap. Percy bought this from Garnett and Trump in Diagon Alley.”

“I bet they’d deliver three more bracelets directly to Hogwarts by owl,” Luca considered. “Then I could get the gemstones bewitched to change colour or something. I reckon we’ll be ready for lift off by next week.”

“You’d wear one of these?” Penelope asked.

“Yeah, it looks unisex, and it’s not like anyone would be surprised to see me wearing jewellery.”

“Then, we have a deal,” Georgina said, grinning. “Starting next Monday, we’ll have two weeks to win praise from our Potions master.”

The four contestants shared a smile, and then wrote their names down on an enchanted piece of parchment, binding them to the Four-House Tournament and agreeing to its terms.

And so the games began.




Authors’ Note:

Please see our author page for full details of the round-robin writing team.

This chapter was written by Agnus Castus, with a poem by bluerain1984 and a sprinkling of fairy dust from star_girl. Thanks to Neko Mata for the slips of parchment and hexgirl for her helpful feedback.

The Snapettes would be delighted to receive your review!

The Four-House Tournament by The Snapettes [Reviews - 1]

>>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved