Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Bibliomancer by bibliomancer [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

After tucking into a hearty meal of fish, chips and mushy peas for him, and pea fritters and chips for her, Snape guided Adoxa back from the chippy to his home. The night grew dark and the dingy row houses gained a shadowy haze. With her hand in his, they walked silently to Spinner's End, digesting the filling meal and the events of their unlikely reunion.


Reaching the door, Snape cleared the wards and they slipped into the house, locking up behind. Proceeding to the sitting room, Snape made a sweeping gesture.


“Please, make yourself at home,” he stated awkwardly. “I've not much but my books and papers, but I do hope that you can find something with which to occupy yourself while I puzzle over this clock.”


“Thank you,” Adoxa replied, making her way toward the wall of books at the far end of the room. “May I?” she asked, pointing to the leather-bound tomes.


“Certainly.”


Adoxa selected a book at random. Finding most surfaces, save for Snape's armchair, occupied by precariously stacked tomes, she sat down at his desk instead.


Meanwhile, Snape had drawn his wand and was levitating the clock into the room, setting it down by his chair.


Removing his overcoat, he plunked himself down into the armchair with a contented sigh, undoing the top four buttons of his waistcoat. Pondering the bulky, old clock, he crossed one leg over the other and draped his wand hand comfortably over his flat stomach. For the better part of an hour, Snape sat there, deeply in thought.


“Adoxa?” he asked suddenly, his quiet voice piercing the silence.


“Hmm?” She glanced over her shoulder at him.


“I've a question to ask.”


Closing the book she had been reading, Adoxa replied, “Yes?”


“Your grandfather,” Snape began slowly, “was he a wizard?”


Adoxa's eyes glazed over as she turned the desk chair slightly to face him, memories of the night before rising in her mind.


“What does it matter now?” she replied darkly.


“It matters a great deal.”


“I do not know.”


“Well, I suspect that he was,” mused Snape, “and a rather good one at that. This clock is exquisitely charmed.”


“He never attended Hogwarts.”


“Is that so?” Snape muttered, rising to his feet.


“Refused to speak of his boyhood, aside from the fact that he had lost his parents during the war.”


Snape eyed her curiously.


“The First Muggle war. They were both killed while touring the Continent. He was nine. Grandfather was sent off to India afterward. He had an uncle. With the Company there.” She stumbled over her words. Pausing to collect her thoughts, she continued, “It was not a happy time for grandfather. He had always been a quiet, studious boy but his relatives, they cared little for such pursuits, preferring vigorous sport and club activities instead.”


Snape listened as he began scanning the shelves for a particular title.


“Needless to say, Grandfather returned to England as soon as he came of age. Although behind in his studies, he wrote to a favourite instructor at the Muggle boarding school which he had attended as a boy, and arrangements were made for him to continue his education.”


Snape pulled a ratty, old copy of 'Advanced Charms' from the shelf and began thumbing through it.


Adoxa followed his movements as she continued the story of her grandfather's past.


“Through diligence and more than a little natural intelligence, Grandfather was able to attend university.”


She pursed her lips and leaned back in the chair. “Of the next bit, I know even less. He met a young woman in the library at school one day and it was love at first sight. They had a great deal in common, most especially, an insatiable love for learning and books of all sorts. Despite being a penniless student, he began courting her shortly after their first meeting. The pair quickly became inseparable, much to the chagrin of her family. A wealthy Pure-blood family, no less. Eventually, they married and she was disowned. Shortly afterward, a daughter was born but my grandfather's young bride was frail and died in the process.”


Snape hovered behind her, poring over his book.


“Grandfather never remarried,” Adoxa resumed. “He finished his studies while raising the girl himself. As soon as he had secured a position as Junior Assistant in the Cambridge archives, he sent his daughter off to school.”


“Where?” Snape interrupted.


“A parochial school nearby, I cannot recall the name. But that was short-lived.” Taking a deep breath, she added reluctantly, “As the girl's magical aptitude manifested itself, my grandfather finally accepted that what had always made him different was magic. His wife had been a witch and so too, his daughter. It followed that, had Grandfather's parents not died and had he not been shipped off to India, he would likely have become a wizard himself. It was around that time, I believe, when he began expanding his book collection beyond Muggle titles, seeking to learn on his own what had been denied to him.”


“Mmm-hmm,” Snape noted, closing his book and shelving it.


“What did you find?”


“Not a thing. Please, continue.” He resumed his place in his favourite chair.


“Eventually,” Adoxa furrowed her brow, “the girl ended up at Hogwarts.”


Snape interjected, “And was sorted into House Slytherin.”


“Severus?” she whispered eerily. “Did you ... did you know my ... mother?”


“Hardly. I was not yet born. However, I may be able to shed some light on the matter.”


Adoxa's skin went chalky.


“What was her name?” he asked.


“Ruth … Ruth Muir.”


“Accio Litteras Matris!” Snape sprang to his feet, pointing his wand at the bookshelf.


A hollow book flew off the shelf, flashed open its cover dramatically and shot back onto the shelf. A neat pile of yellowing envelopes, tied with a bit of twine, dropped to the floor. Snape rushed forward to retrieve the correspondence, Adoxa rising from the chair and crouching down on the floor beside him.


“Read these letters. I discovered them hidden away among my mother's personal effects when I inherited this house some years ago. I'd not thought twice of them since, as you might well imagine, but I've an uncommonly good memory. I believe that they might answer some questions while raising many more.” With those words, Snape got to his feet, slipped his wand into his pocket and left the room.


Adoxa could hear him clattering about in the kitchen as she untied the twine and carefully unfolded the first letter.


March 1, 1958


Dear Eileen:


I am thrilled with your good news! If you ask me, it is high time that Toby proposed. You are going to be so happy! I am so jealous! See you at the wedding! I've cleared an entire week for it and bought a lovely dress. Emerald satin. Quite a bargain, too!


Much love,


Ruthie


Setting that letter to the side, Adoxa carefully unfolded the next, curious as to the particular relationship between the two women.


September 12, 1959


Dearest Eileen:


I am simply ecstatic! I can't stop smiling! I can't wait until your little one is born. Always adored the name 'Severus' for a boy or 'Adoxa' for a girl. Like the flower. I'm certain you remember from Herbology, my clever friend.


I'll be down for a visit in January. Please let me know if there is anything I can do or anything at all that you need. The shop doesn't pay well but I'll always be there for you.


Your best friend ever!


Ruthie


Adoxa heard the kettle whistle as she eagerly unfolded the next letter.


February 2, 1960


Dear Eileen:


Missing you already. Can't stop thinking of sweet little Sevy. He is a darling. I bet you'll be fending off the girls with wards at your front gate in no time!


Hope Toby sorts himself out soon. Your little boy needs his father.


Hugs and kisses to you and Sevy.


Ruth


Cringing, Adoxa opened the next letter, surprised by how emphatically her mother wrote given her own reserve. Each 'i' was dotted with a heart and the penmanship was excessively large and curled.


June 24, 1960


Eileen:


So sorry to hear that Toby is out of work. Let me know if I can help. I'd never dream of buying myself some little bauble if I thought you and little Sevy were hard up.


Yours,


Ruthie


Adoxa flipped through the thick stack of letters, arriving at one of the later ones.


April 3, 1965


Eileen:


Finally some good news to send your way. I think I've met 'Mr. Right'. He is a dream and the boss' son, no less! Something tells me he fancies me too!


On a serious note, if Tobias tries that again, come down to Diagon Alley for a few days and stay with me. Still renting a small room over the shop but it will hold the three of us for a short stay.


Missing you always,


Ruth


Snape returned to the sitting room, a white ceramic mug of tea clutched in each hand. He leaned over, handing one to Adoxa and joined her on the floor as she opened the next letter.


Jan 1, 1966


Dear Eileen:


I worry for you and little Sev. I've not seen a letter from you in weeks. Please, come see me if you need to get away. I've my own flat now, as you might have guessed from the change of address. Jonny is back from the East soon. I simply can't wait!


Love,


Ruth


PS: Please find enclosed a little something from 'Aunt Ruthie” for a treat for Sev on his upcoming birthday.


Adoxa could feel Snape breathing slowly next to her.


May 19, 1966


Eileen:


I can feel it! Jonny will be back tomorrow. Romance is in the air. I've had two letters from him this week already! I think I'm in love!


It's been ages since we had a visit, Eileen. Why don't you come by the shop? Come meet my Jonny and have a look around. We've a lovely selection of new books in. I've already read a few of the ones on Charms. Found a thing or two I didn't know, believe it or not. There are some new Potions titles as well. Perhaps you might enjoy them? I could 'loan' you one or two and no one would be the wiser.


Lots of love to you and Severus, but none for that drunken husband of yours who gave you a black eye!


Your friend,


Ruth


Adoxa turned to Snape before continuing with the next letter.


“Our mothers were quite close then?” she asked rhetorically.


“So it seems,” he replied, taking a sip of tea and setting the mug down on the floor.


July 8, 1966


Eileen:


This week, I've been out with Jonny every night! He is definitely the one!


I can already imagine the wedding. Green as my colour, of course. Once a Slytherin, always a Slytherin. I'll not be wearing white though. (So naughty but so good!!) You'll be my Matron of Honour.


Once he asks me and we set a date, that husband of yours better let you attend. I can't believe he drank another pay cheque! Not much to spare this week. Hate to admit, but I got my hair done to impress Jonny. Please find enclosed a few pounds to help at the grocers with a bit left over, I hope, for an ice cream for Sev.


Wishing you the best,


Ruth


“I remember that ice cream.” Snape mused darkly. “Ended up with a beating afterward and retched up the lot.” He stared back down into his steaming mug of tea as Adoxa opened the next letter.


September 3, 1966


Eileen:


I can't believe I'm writing this. It's over! Jonny dumped me and headed off on another one of his 'adventures'. And it only gets worse. I'm pregnant!


I hate to ask, I know how hard things are for you right now, but I beg you, is there anything that can be done? Please help, you always were the best in Potions. I've been dismissed from my position, to be expected.


Eileen! Perhaps there is something we can do? I worry about you. Your letters are few and far between. Leave him, Eileen. Bring Sev and whatever you can scrape together. I've taken what I could from that man. We'll not go hungry. We can go to London and hire on somewhere. I'm hurting, Eileen. I can't bear the thought of you hurting too.



Adoxa's tea went cold at her side as she reached a trembling hand toward the final letter. It was unopened and stamped 'Return to Sender: Not at this Address'. She read the spindly handwriting.


December 3, 1966


Dear Ruth:


Firstly, my beloved friend, I must ask that you never write again. If you value my safety and that of my child, you will understand. Tobias has noticed that Severus is different from the other lads. There is nothing I can do but nag and pick fights, night after night, and suffer at his hand rather than see my dear son hurt. Tobias hates him so but he is my one prize in life, my brilliant little prince.


As to your predicament, I beg you to reconsider. But if you must, I have enclosed a packet of herbs you might brew as a tea and drink down all at once. I have used this same tincture, more times than I care to admit, these last few years. I can assure you that it is safe if taken early.


Tobias is coming home soon so I must close here. He blames the abilities Severus demonstrates on me. Claims that my witchy friends and I have corrupted the boy. With great regret, I must reiterate, please do not write to me again unless you first receive a letter from me.


I'll always remain your dearest friend. How I wish that things could have been different.


Love forever,


Eileen


Adoxa stared down at the letter, trying to calm her mind as tears welled up in her eyes. Mutely, she folded it and stuffed it back into the envelope, handing it to Snape.


Removing the packet of herbs and holding them to his nose, he shook his head with disgust. With trembling hands, he stuffed the packet back into the envelope and dropped it onto the pile. He sat there in silence for a few moments, his shoulders heaving, before taking Adoxa's hand and pressing a dry kiss to it. He uncoiled her fingers, spreading her palm across his clean-shaven face as hot tears dribbled mercilessly down his cheeks.


Adoxa sobbed quietly in turn, sliding closer to him and resting her head on his shoulder.


“Severus...” she choked.


“Adoxa...” he managed in reply, barely above a whisper.


“You … the Death Eaters … the shop … this.” She breathed hoarsely, tears bleeding through the white fabric of his smock. “I can't take much more.”


“Nor can I.” He wiped the tears dripping down the bridge of his nose onto the back of his sleeve. “Accio Firewhisky,” he mouthed and a bottle clattered to a halt on the floor before them.


Unceremoniously, Snape twisted off the cap and drank deeply before passing the bottle to Adoxa. She followed suit, reducing the bottle to half and handing it back to him.


Adoxa moaned, her small body succumbing quickly to the potent brew as she leaned hard against him.


“Come,” he commanded, “lie down before you fall down.” He pulled the woman to her feet and she lolled against him.


Adoxa's teary eyes glazed over as she tried to walk. Snape took a levelling breath before bending slightly and hoisted her into his arms. He staggered to the bedroom and laid her down on his bed. She had stopped sobbing and instead, whimpered quietly.


The Firewhisky was slower to take effect for Snape, owing in part to a greater body mass and frequent nightcaps. Now, he relied on an over-proof blend of his own making, spiked with Sleeping Draught and a few drops of Elixir to Induce Euphoria. The concoction proved far too potent for Adoxa.


With a combination of magic and dexterous fingers, Snape took the liberty of making her more comfortable. He removed her boots and pashmina first. Then, emboldened by drink, he unbuttoned her black dress as well, revealing a silky, black full slip beneath. Shuddering with sudden arousal, he stepped away.


“Stockings ...” she mumbled drunkenly and he peeled them off her impossibly-smooth legs.


“More,” she begged, reaching for the hem of her black slip.


“No,” he stated firmly, beginning to remove his own clothing, until he wore only his long, white smock and a pair of underpants.


Crawling into bed next to Adoxa, he leaned over and pressed his lips to hers.


She moaned, opening her mouth to him in response. It took all of his remaining self-control, not yet destroyed by the Firewhisky, to pull away from a kiss that quickly grew lecherous and desperate.


He fell back onto the bed, reaching to plump the pillow under his head and pulled her on top of him. She rested her head on his chest with a drunken sigh.


“Nox,” he intoned, closing his eyes and embracing Adoxa. Sleep came quickly, enhanced by the Firewhisky and Snape endured a night filled with visions of the two of them, in every possible position, both Wizard and Muggle.


And in the sitting room, the grandfather clock struck twelve.


Bibliomancer by bibliomancer [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved