Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Bibliomancer by bibliomancer [Reviews - 1]

>>

Would you like to submit a review?

Fall Term, 1983


Adoxa sat at a desk in the darkest corner of the library near the Restricted Section. Open before her was a copy of Intermediate Potions Making, between the pages of which she had sandwiched something much more intriguing.


The slight young woman peered intently at the book in the near dark of her carrel. With a pale fingertip, she traced the cryptic runes, drawing out the mysteries concealed within. Hunched over her books, Adoxa was oblivious to the swirling vortex of black that approached from the Restricted Section.


With a clatter, the roped-off entrance swung open, revealing Professor Snape, his black robes flapping in hot pursuit. Shaken from her quiet contemplation by the sudden noise, Adoxa stifled a shriek as the innermost of her tomes slipped to the ground with a dull thud. Her quickening heartbeat counted the seconds of eternity as she sat frozen in her chair.


“Miss Muir!” Snape hissed in an irritated whisper.


Adoxa slowly raised her black eyes as he strode purposefully toward her and crossed his arms.


“Miss Muir!” he repeated, his long fingers drumming the rhythm of his irritation against his upper arms.


Suppressing a shudder, Adoxa looked up at the professor who was both her Head of House and Potions Master.


“I ...” she stammered.


“You what, exactly?” Snape questioned, arcing his brow in thinly-veiled disapproval.


“I dropped my book, Sir,” she managed.


“Why, I had not noticed. Surely, such a cacophony is typical of this late hour, in a library, no less?” he sneered.


“I … I am sorry, Sir,” Adoxa stammered.


Eying the girl suspiciously, Snape stepped closer, scanning the articles in her carrel closely. Finding nothing amiss, he snatched up the book from her hands.


“Intermediate Potions Making,” he spat, dropping the book back onto the table. “Do continue then, Miss Muir, although I surmise that no quantity of midnight oil will further your knowledge of this particular subject.”


Adoxa nodded solemnly, dropping her gaze from the black abyss of her professor's eyes to the worn tome.


Turning on his heels, Snape added, “Pick up your book, Miss Muir.”


Adoxa reached for the Potions text as Professor Snape strode away.


“The other one.” His voice carried as she shook her head in disbelief.


Dropping to her knees, Adoxa tucked the skirt of her school uniform under her legs and reached beneath the carrel under which the book had fallen. She carefully preserved the page at which it had opened and shifted out from under the carrel into the dim light of its desk lamp.


“The Lover,” Adoxa gasped, tracing the finely-penned illustration with her fingers. The book open in her hands, she rose unsteadily and squinted down at the notes wrought in neat script next to the impression of a tarot card.


“Broken, apart. Together, forever whole.”


Adoxa closed the book and hugged it to her chest, gazing down the aisle through which the Potions Master had recently departed.


“Oh Professor … Professor Snape,” she closed her eyes and sighed.


Bibliomancer by bibliomancer [Reviews - 1]

>>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved