Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS-Centric

I, Too, Shall Follow by notwolf [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?



“Who told you to get out of that bed?” barked the stern voice of Abraxas.

From the closet of the guest room to which he’d been moved three days ago, Severus leaped upright with a muffled shriek as his stiff, ravaged body stretched suddenly. Guiltily he whirled to face the doorway, where the man stood leaning on his cane. “Nobody, sir,” he squeaked.

Abraxas snapped his fingers and pointed at the bed in one smooth, practiced motion. Holding his abdomen, Severus delicately traversed the room, slipped into bed, and pulled the covers up. All he needed was to make Mr. Malfoy angry with him after all the man had already done for him. As if to recognize and expound on his fear, Abraxas trudged across to the bed with his cane stamping along each step of the way. He stopped and peered down at Severus, who was busy noticing how drained the older wizard looked, how sunken and dark his eyes seemed.

“You will not leave this bed without permission of myself, Healer Cullin, or one of the mediwitches I’ve hired to tend you. Is that understood?”

“Yes, sir. But I—”

“Is. That. Understood?”

Severus nodded and averted his eyes. “Yes, sir.” He’d only wanted to find his clothing so he could change out of what were evidently Lucius’ silk pajamas, for they hung on his skinny body, and he wasn’t used to such fine material. He didn’t want to ruin it.

To his discomfort, Abraxas pulled back the covers, lifted the pajama shirt, and rested one hand on Severus’ abdomen. He took out his wand and pointed it at various spots near the deep pink scar as he gently palpitated the area with his other hand.

“You sustained a great deal of organ and muscle damage,” he explained curtly. “It’s only been four days; just because the skin looks healed doesn’t mean you’re better. Moving about too soon might have reopened a wound.”

“I’m sorry. It didn’t hurt that much, so I thought it would be okay,” responded Severus, wishing he could disappear into the mattress.

“I don’t detect any new damage. But if I catch you again…” He didn’t finish, primarily because he wasn’t sure what he’d do if he caught the boy disobeying him. Severus wasn’t his son, he couldn’t very well smack him, and even if he could, he wouldn’t. Not when he was hurt, anyway.

The warning alone was enough for Severus. From Lucius he’d gleaned that Abraxas tended to carry through on his threats, and he’d rather not find out what the man intended to do to him. He pulled the covers up to his chin, almost as if they served as a protective barrier. “Mr. Malfoy, may I ask you a personal question?”

“Go ahead.”

“Why did you save my life?”

Taken aback by the frank query, Abraxas gave an odd, uncomfortable expression. “What kind of a question is that?”

“An honest one,” answered Severus, careful to avoid eye contact. Those Malfoys and their gray, penetrating gazes could be lethal. “I’m not related to you, I’m not a pureblood. I highly doubt you’d do the same for anyone on the street.” When the reply was slow in coming, Severus added, “The Conviare can be risky for the one performing it. I see the way it’s sapped your vitality.”

Obviously surprised, Abraxas said, “You know of the Conviare?

Severus bobbed his head. “I read a lot, I like to learn and practice obscure spells. My mother told me you used it.”

“I must confess myself impressed. Lucius told me you were an unusual boy.” A hint of respect shone in his eyes. “Do I truly look so atrocious from its effects?”

“No, not so dreadful. Drawn, tired.”

Abraxas allowed an actual smile to turn up the corners of his mouth. “It’s only temporary. In a few days I’ll no longer require the cane for support. You, on the other hand, will still be in bed. I’ll see that you’re brought reading material.” He made as if to leave.

“Mr. Malfoy, you didn’t answer my question.”

“You are a persistent lad, aren’t you?” Abraxas spun slowly back to face the youth. “I’m afraid my reasons might sound selfish to you.”

“Anyone who risks his own life to save another can’t be too selfish,” replied Severus evenly.

“Has your mother told you about us…about our betrothal?”

“Yes, sir. She said you broke the engagement to marry another—Lucius’ mother.”

Abraxas bobbed his head slowly in acknowledgement. “I’ve always felt I did your mother an injustice. Make no mistake, I harbored no love for her. Our betrothal was arranged by our parents when she was a child of twelve and I was a boy your age. It was my duty, yet I abandoned it, shaming Eileen in the process. I’ve always felt bad about that.”

Severus couldn’t say he was sorry for the turn of events, since had they progressed as planned, he would never have been born. Though, to be honest, at times he wished that were the case. “So what you’re saying is that in saving me, you gave my mother her son, thereby evening the score.”

The man gave a wry smile. “I like to think I’m more human than that. I wanted to spare Eileen the heartache of losing her child. I know what it feels like.”

Severus paused before answering. The look on the older man’s face bespoke the terrible suffering of a father who’d lost two of his own children. “I’m sorry to bring up painful memories, Mr. Malfoy. I can never repay your sacrifice, but given time I’ll reimburse you for all you’ve spent—”

“No repayment is necessary, Severus,” Abraxas broke in. “In fact, I’ll be highly insulted if you mention it again.” He turned to go once more, hobbled over to the door, and said, “I’m going to rest. I suggest you stay put unless you’d like to feel my wrath.”

Thinking to himself how docile and easy to control the boy was compared to Lucius, he labored down the hall to his bedroom. Had it been his son in the bed, he’d likely have to post a guard to enforce his directives. He moaned softly at the effort involved in clumping back to his room. This had been the first time venturing out since the transfer, and he still felt unbearably weak. The strengthening potions were helping quite a lot, he simply wasn’t used to being infirm. He found it extremely irritating.

Severus stared at the man until he was out of sight. The thought of disobeying didn’t cross his mind; he’d stay put as ordered. It struck him that although Abraxas portrayed himself as gruff and strict, he was also clearly generous and more than passingly kind. All his life he’d heard his father rant about the evil Abraxas Malfoy whenever the name came up. Severus, naturally, had come to believe the Malfoy man must be indisputably wicked.

Now that he really pondered it, it occurred to him that Tobias ought to be thanking Mr. Malfoy for casting off Eileen Prince, else Tobias could never have married her! Was it possible his father felt so insecure as to consider Abraxas a rival after all these years? As ludicrous as it sounded, he wouldn’t put it past his father.

He closed his eyes. He’d only been awake for a couple of hours, yet he felt so tired.

XXXOOOXXXOOOXXXOOOXXXOOO

Narcissa felt lonely. When he was home, Lucius spent a good deal of time with Severus or his father, not that she begrudged him that. Severus’ brutal attack had left him nearly dead, shocking everyone in the household; Abraxas’ offering of his own life force to save the boy touched her deeply. Still, she felt lonely since the two in question slept most of the day when she was in a position to keep them company.

She flopped onto a sofa in one of the parlors. “Dobby!” she called.

The house-elf popped in. “Yes, Miss Narcissa?”

“Go to my Uncle Orion Black’s house and find Regulus. Bring him here with you.”

“Right away, Miss Narcissa.” Dobby disappeared. Only a minute later, he reappeared holding, Regulus by his belt loops. Regulus did not look pleased.

“Let go of me!”

Dobby released him and cowered off into a corner.

Regulus, taking in his surroundings and his cousin, gave her a disgruntled scowl. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Visiting with you, Reg,” she answered pleasantly. She bit her lip to keep from laughing when she noted he wasn’t even wearing shoes. It was a good thing he hadn’t been using the loo!

“You’re not supposed to abduct your visitors, Cissy. I’d think the Malfoys would have taught you the basics by now. And maybe I had other things I planned to do today,” he replied nastily.

Narcissa tried her hardest to appear innocent. “Like what? Visit Sirius?”

A fleeting look of surprised guilt shot across his face, to be hastily replaced by annoyance. “Why do you keep harping on that?”

“Because you lied to me. I can tell, so there’s no point in keeping up the front. There’s no one here to spy on you, you can talk freely. Why don’t you sit down?” She patted the sofa beside her.

To show his frustration, he stomped past her and threw himself into one of the chairs. “Mum doesn’t know where I am. She’ll get mad at me.”

“We can remedy that by sending her an owl. Meanwhile, you didn’t deny lying to me about Sirius—”

“Cissy, quit!” he snapped, taking on an air of desperation. “Mum and Dad are making you do this, aren’t they? They want you to trap me into saying I side with Sirius so they can get rid of me, too! But I don’t, I swear I don’t! Please don’t do this.”

Narcissa, overcome with sisterly affection for the lad, leaned forward and took his hand. It was shaking. “Reg, even if I thought you were worse than Sirius, I wouldn’t say a word to them. I know you’re loyal, and you feel like you have to prove your loyalty to your parents, but you don’t have to for me. I’ve been badgering you because I don’t want to disown Sirius, either.”

“Really?” Regulus seemed immeasurably relieved.

“Really. I was hoping you could tell me where he is—your parents tend to avoid the topic, you know. Maybe I could talk some sense into him.”

Regulus snorted, then laughed. “Good luck. I’ve tried.”

“Have you had lunch?” she asked.

The boy nodded. “But I could use a snack. Then, if you want, we can go see Sirius. I doubt you’d want him to come here.”

The very notion made Narcissa’s spine tingle. Imagine the reaction if Lucius or Abraxas caught her entertaining a blood traitor in their house!

XXXOOOXXXOOOXXXOOOXXXOOO

The house seemed strangely quiet when Lucius arrived home from work. He’d expected, or at least hoped Narcissa would meet him at the door with one of her exquisite kisses…or maybe three or four, and a quick trip to their room. Stop it, Malfoy, he cautioned himself. Can’t afford to get carried away. A house-elf informed him she’d gone out with her cousin Regulus, dashing any prospect of a quickie before dinner.

“At least he’s not the traitor,” Lucius murmured to himself. He bounded up the stairs to see his friend and stuck his head in the guest room, to be greeted with a wave. “Hey,” was all Severus said. The mediwitch checking on him left the room.

“Feeling better?” Lucius walked over and pulled up a chair.

“Yeah,” Severus admitted with a rueful face. “I got out of bed and your dad yelled at me.”

Lucius’ body quaked with silent laughter. He didn’t find it difficult to envision his father shouting at the poor kid, or Severus’ cowed reaction. “I guess you shouldn’t get out of bed. Did your mother come by?”

“You know she comes every day. She said my dad wants to come, but…” It wasn’t necessary to finish. They all knew no Muggle was welcome in the Malfoy home. He found himself almost missing the man, especially after Mum had told him how protective he’d become of the twins and how grieved he’d been when he believed Severus was dead. He’d actually cried.

“You’re better off without him,” Lucius said callously. “At least he doesn’t have the opportunity to hurt you here.”

“He’s not planning to hurt me, Lucius,” Severus responded.

“You mean he’s sober?” retorted the other in mock surprise. He gave a disbelieving grunt. “Why do you put up with him?”

Severus’ brows dipped and his voice hardened. “He’s my father. I should think you would understand that.”

“My father never beat me without a reason!” Lucius shot back. “And yours is a—a Muggle.” The last word he spit with evident distaste.

Black eyes shining with suppressed anger, Severus bit back the urge to tell his friend where to shove it. Coldly he said, “That makes me half Muggle, doesn’t it? Just like Mick.”

Lucius’ blood ran cold and he paused in horror. The heinous name forbidden to be spoken in Malfoy Manor had been spoken! Ever since Lucius’ sister, Aphrodite, and her daughter had been murdered by her half-blood husband Mick, no one had dared use the repulsive name in front of him or Abraxas. Shocked both by the name usage and the comparison, Lucius cringed in disgust.

“You’re not like him, Severus! You’re different; you’re a gifted, powerful wizard. Your Muggle blood must be diluted or something.”

Sneering slightly, Severus replied, “If only.” Changing the subject back to Tobias, he said, “My dad told me he loves me, you know.”

Aghast, his friend exclaimed, “What? While he was beating you?”

“No,” Severus sighed. “He doesn’t hit me all the time, Lucius. He got hammered at Christmas time and started blubbering, then he passed out on my bed.”

“What was he doing in your bed?” asked Lucius, wide-eyed, afraid the situation was far worse than he’d ever envisioned.

Severus observed Lucius’ reaction and started to laugh, which made his stomach area ache. “Get your mind out of the gutter.”

“Do you think he meant it?”

“I know he did. When he’s that drunk, he can’t lie.”

“Hmm,” said Lucius, leaning back. That threw a little wrench in his Tobias-is-a-purely-evil-git theory. Only a little wrench, though. It was still possible he was mostly evil.

Suddenly serious, Severus uttered, “Lucius, I want to ask you a favor. After all you’ve done, I have no right, but—will you take me to meet the Dark Lord? I want to join and receive the Mark.”

If Severus had asked him to throw scalding water in his face, Lucius couldn’t have been more appalled. The kid had no idea what he was asking, it had to be some stupid schoolboy dare! “Why would you want to do something like that?”

“It gains people’s respect,” Severus answered candidly. “I want that.”

Heaving a heavy sigh, Lucius bent over and rested his elbows on his knees. This was wrong on so many levels he didn’t know where to begin! “Severus, I got sucked into this for selfish reasons. You need to understand this isn’t a game. Once you’re in, you don’t leave. It doesn’t matter what you want or hope or believe: you serve or you die.”

“If it’s good enough for you, it’s good enough for me,” Severus persisted stubbornly. “You follow the Dark Lord. I, too, shall follow and serve.”

“I don’t want to take you.”

“Why not?” Severus seemed genuinely affronted.

“Because you don’t belong there!” Lucius shouted, no longer able to maintain calm. “You’re free; stay that way!”

“I don’t belong anywhere!” Severus snapped back. He made a wild gesture around the room. “I don’t belong here, or in the Muggle world, or at Hogwarts. The only people who treat me decently are Death Eaters! What does that say about me?”

Tears hung in his eyes, ready to fall, making Lucius feel wretched for upsetting him when he was so ill. Apparently he’d thought a great deal about this decision, and if Lucius refused to take him, he would ask another, wouldn’t he? Wouldn’t it be better, if Severus was resolute in this endeavor, to be the one to present him to the Dark Lord? If nothing else, Lucius would receive the accolades for bringing in a new member. In a final attempt to sway him from the course, Lucius decided to tell the whole, unvarnished truth. If this didn’t sway him, nothing would.

“Severus, the Dark Lord is not kind. He will own you in a way no one should be owned. This isn’t a country club. If you anger him, he might kill you; at the least, he’ll torture you like he does the rest of us. I’ve told you about the Cruciatus.”

“I remember.” Severus swallowed hard. Lucius had described the unimaginable pain inflicted on him numerous times for failing to comply or to please the Dark Lord. Nevertheless, this was what he wanted, what he needed to gain prestige and, eventually, power. All he had to do was obey Lord Voldemort; he was used to obeying. “This is a huge step in my life, Lucius. I’d like you by my side.”

“I can’t change your mind?”

“No. If you won’t accompany me, I’ll have to ask one of the guys at school.”

“Alright, if you’re so set on this, I’ll take you. But not until you’re well.” Lucius stood up, grimacing, loathing himself. Narcissa was going to be pissed.

XXXOOOXXXOOOXXXOOOXXXOOO

“Regulus, why are we in the woods?” Narcissa slapped at a bug crawling on her arm, then frantically raked through her hair for fear more of them had attacked. She hated bugs with a hatred almost as consuming as what she felt for Muggles.

“Waiting,” he said. Regulus had sat down on an overturned log as patiently as you please. Every so often he casually swiped at flying insects.

“Couldn’t we wait somewhere else?”

“No one will see us here, Cissy. You don’t want anyone to see, do you?” Again the nagging fear that she’d been recruited to entrap him came screaming to the forefront.

Before she could answer, she heard a growl behind her and whirled, wand drawn and aimed at a mangy black dog. Regulus leaped from his seat to knock her arm upward at the same time a yellow jet of light flew from her wand. It snapped off several tree limbs, which crashed heavily to the forest floor.

“What are you doing?” she hollered, readying for another shot.

“It’s Sirius, Cissy!”

The dog, which had run to hide behind a tree, cautiously poked its head out. A moment later Sirius sauntered over to greet them, a smug smile playing on his lips. “Didn’t know I was an Animagus, did you?” he grinned.

“I always knew you were a dog,” she retorted.

He gave his brother a hard hug and turned to Narcissa. They’d not ever been close in the same sense he was with Regulus; he didn’t quite know how he should react. Obviously she didn’t, either, for she stood looking flustered and uneasy.

“What the hell,” he mumbled. He stepped in to embrace her as well.

Narcissa patted his back, then pushed herself away. Cousin or not, whether she loved him or not, he was an outcast. The thought toyed with her psyche. “Sirius, I asked your brother to bring me.”

“I kind of figured that,” he said as he examined Regulus’ footwear. “Since when do Mum and Dad spring for Italian leather?”

Regulus looked down. “Oh, these are Lucius’ shoes.”

“Really? I didn’t realize Malfoy was so generous in lending his things.”

With a sidelong glance at Narcissa, who was beginning to pout, Regulus replied, “Cissy kidnapped me from home, and I wasn’t wearing shoes.”

“I didn’t kidnap—oh, never mind. Sirius, I came to try to knock some sense into you. Everybody’s unhappy with the way things are. If you’d just go home and apologize to your parents, everything—”

“Whoa, whoa!” Sirius interjected. “Apologize to them? Cissy, my dad beat me half to death and threatened to kill me. Who should be apologizing?”

Narcissa let out a hard breath. Sirius always was a stubborn, hardheaded jackass. “You drew your wand on your mother! That’s not acceptable.”

“But my parents constantly harassing me and letting everyone else pick on me is fine, right?”

Narcissa chose to ignore that bit. “All you’d have to do to get back in their favor is stop being a blood traitor. That friend of yours—Potter—he’s a pureblood, you could still be his friend. Just stop championing Mudbloods and Muggle rights. It’s nauseating, to be honest.”

“This whole conversation is nauseating,” he muttered.

“The tapestry can easily be repaired, Sirius. Your brother wants you home, your family wants you back—”

“Cissy, enough! I’m not going back, I’m not apologizing, and I’m not going to pretend I’m better than everyone else because of my bloodline. If that’s all you came to say, you may as well go home.” He stood glaring at her with a defiance born of outrage.

Narcissa stared back at him. How could someone raised in a Black home turn out so badly? First her own sister, for which she blamed her parents for their leniency, and now Sirius. It made no sense; they’d all been raised with true ideals, yet what had caused them to become so warped? Andromeda…well, she’d been swayed by a handsome face attached to a Mudblood, but Sirius had no provocation at all. She fervently hoped whatever caused this epidemic wasn’t contagious!

“I feel sorry for you, Sirius. You had everything and chose to throw it away.”

“Don’t waste your pity on me, Cissy. I’m perfectly happy.”

Regulus regarded the two carefully. On the one hand, Sirius was his brother and he loved him. On the other hand, he loved the rest of his family, too. He didn’t want to lose them all, and the only thing he knew for certain that would cement him in their good graces was to prove how loyal he was to the family, to purebloods. There was only one sure way to do that, and as soon as he got back to school he’d be paying a visit to the seventh year Death Eaters. His parents would be pleased, and Sirius need never know.

Narcissa gave her cousin one last pitying look. “I love you, Sirius. I can’t change that, but it’s probably best if I don’t meet you again, at least not frequently.”

Allowing his heart to soften toward her, Sirius quipped, “I love you, too, Cissy. I think you’re right, our ideas don’t mix. You take care.”

“You, too.” She turned to Regulus, trying to hide the tears glistening in her eyes. “Are you ready? I’ll take you home now.”












I, Too, Shall Follow by notwolf [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved