Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Always By Your Side by morgaine_dulac [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter XXXII: Malfoy’s Plan

Morgaine jerked awake, at once tightening her grip around her wand. Her heart was pounding hard in her chest, and her eyes darted around the semi-dark room as if to make out an attacker. She was ready to hex anyone in her proximity, even to put an Unforgivable Curse on them, if need be. But there was no unbidden guest in her bedroom, and the only sound that could be heard was Demeter’s soft and regular breathing. The girl was fast asleep.

Morgaine sighed and shifted in the chair in which she had dozed off, wincing at the pain that shot through her back. She had purposely chosen the most uncomfortable chair to sit on, as she had planned to stay awake and keep guard all night, but eventually, she had fallen asleep anyway. No surprise, really. She was beyond tired, had been so for the better part of the year, and putting multiple protective charms all around the room, taking extra precautions around the door and windows, had exhausted her energy depots. At the moment, she wasn’t even sure that she would be able to throw a hex even if she wanted to. It would probably dissolve into nothingness the moment it left her wand.

Dawn was breaking, judging from the faint light that was falling through the gap between the curtains, and as Morgaine remembered hearing the grandfather clock in the hallway strike three, she concluded that she had most probably slept for three or four hours. Angry with herself, she freed herself from the blanket she had wrapped around her shoulders and started pacing the room, stopping every now and then to stretch her aching back. How could she have allowed herself to fall asleep with Lucius Malfoy in the house? What if he …

What if he … what? Morgaine stopped abruptly, frowning. Apart from him catching her in flagrante and not missing out on any opportunity to remind Alek about his abysmal performance for the rest of the New Year’s party, Lucius had kept an unusually low profile all night. If he hadn’t made such an entrance, Morgaine would probably not even have noticed that he was there. He had offered her only one drink and asked her to dance only once, and as she had refused both, he had not approached her anymore, but rubbed elbows with the most important guests and danced with the prettiest women. Just as Lucius Malfoy always used to. Maybe, Morgaine thought hopefully, he wasn’t there because of her at all. Yes, him showing up was just a coincidence. Or was it?

She sighed heavily and walked towards the window, where she rested her forehead against the cool glass. It had been snowing all night, and the grounds were now covered with a thick layer of snow. The willows stood frozen, and so did the nearby lake. Everything was so peaceful. Now if only her mind could come to find some peace as well.

The first couple of days at Riverbed manor had been bliss. Demeter had blossomed, laughed and played with her best friend, and Morgaine had actually managed to enjoy herself as well. Firstly because she thought that she had never seen her daughter that happy, and secondly because she herself had felt quite cheerful. She had had the time and energy to read, had experimented with some Potions in the little lab in the basement and reacquainted herself with some aspects of Herbology in the hothouse. She had found a friend in Aleksandra and had even allowed herself to think about Alek as a friend and not only as a friendly colleague. But then he had come too close, and Morgaine had shrunk away.

Squeezing her eyes shut to keep unwanted tears from running down her cheeks, Morgaine turned her back on the window to look at her daughter instead. At least the little one had had a good time. She had laughed and danced, and she had fallen in love. Tonight, she had even received her first goodnight kiss and had fallen asleep with a smile on her face. What more could a mother wish for?

‘Is it morning yet?’

Demeter’s voice was so sleepy that Morgaine couldn’t help but smile. No matter how ladylike Demeter had seemed last night, she was still a little girl.

‘No, little one,’ she whispered. ‘It is still early. Go back to sleep.’

Demeter stretched out her arms. ‘Will you cuddle with me?’

Of course she would. For the time being, Morgaine could imagine nothing better. She slipped under the covers, and wrapped her arms around her daughter, holding her against her chest as if she were a baby once more. And as Demeter’s breathing had once more become slow and regular and Morgaine was certain that the little one was fast asleep again, she gave in to all the emotions that she had so carefully hidden away and cried silently, burying her face in her daughter’s raven black hair. There were so many things she regretted, so many things she would not forgive herself for, and although she knew that her tears would not make her burden any lighter, she did not even try to stop them.

As Demeter shifted in her arms, Morgaine tightened her grip as if to compensate for all the time they had missed. What demons had possessed her a decade ago, she wondered. How could she have turned away from her daughter? How could she ever have left her?

What would have happened if she had defied Dumbledore’s orders and told Severus about his child? Would he have come to Iceland? Would he have stayed? And would he – consequently – have survived the war?

Morgaine’s mind filled with thousands of questions, questions which she had asked herself uncountable times already and to which she still had no answers, and her heart grew all the heavier. So heavy that she, for a while at least, forgot about Lucius Malfoy. He didn’t matter right now. Him showing up must indeed have been a coincidence. He didn’t want anything from her this time, otherwise he would already have made his move. And by lunch time, the Portkey she was keeping safely stowed away in her bag, a puppet depicting a tiny Icelandic troll, would activate and take her and Demeter to Iceland. It would take them away from Lucius, from Alek and, for some days at least, even away from the memory of Severus. It would take them home.

~ ~ ~

Many miles away, in the dark dungeons of Hogwarts castle, someone else spent a sleepless night as well. Not that ghosts slept at all, but Severus was restless and drifting back and forth in his old study after having haunted the empty corridors for the better part of the night. His mind, too, was filled with questions, and like Morgaine, he did not have any answers.

On his desk lay Demeter’s letter. Severus had by now read it so many times that he knew it by heart, especially the part where Demeter had told him how excited she was about the New Year’s party. It should have been his task as a father to teach the girl how to dance, Severus thought. But of course, as a ghost, he was unable to. Just as he would be unable to dance with her on her wedding day. He wouldn’t be giving her away either.

Huffing slightly, Severus shook his head, quite annoyed with himself. How soppy to be thinking about his daughter’s wedding day. The girl was twelve, for the love of Merlin. She wasn’t about to get married any time soon. But of course, Severus’ concerns were not just about Demeter’s wedding. There were plenty of other things he could not do with her or for her because he was nothing but a ghost.

Had it been fair to allow the girl to get to know him, Severus wondered. Hadn’t it been better for her to think that her father had fallen in the war, that he was dead and gone? Wouldn’t that have been better for all of them, for the girl, himself and Morgaine?

He wondered if Morgaine had been dancing. He himself had danced with her only once, at the Yule Ball during the Triwizard Tournament. But they had danced as colleagues, not as lovers. It had been a waltz, and Severus had made sure that there had been a proper distance between their bodies throughout the whole dance. Afterwards, he had kissed her hand courteously and returned to the edge of the dance floor, letting her be asked to dance by a young man from Durmstrang. After that, there had been little reason to dance, and Severus had never held Morgaine in his arms in public.

Had she danced tonight, he wondered again. Had she danced with the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher? Had he held her close, closer than Severus had dared all those years ago? Had Morgaine let him? Had she enjoyed it?

Had he, Severus, even the right to wonder?

Wistfully, he let his gaze wander to the armchairs by the fireplace and remembered a sixteen-year-old girl falling asleep there after brewing potions all night. He remembered a grown woman taking him into her arms, telling him that she loved him despite his flaws, despite the Dark Mark that had been burnt into the flesh of his left forearm. And he remembered her waiting for him every time he returned from the Dark Lord, her eyes filled with worries and her heart filled with love.

He missed her. He missed her so much that he could feel physical agony, despite him not possessing a body anymore. She would come back soon, Seveurs knew that of course, but he didn’t know if it was a good idea. Maybe Morgaine, just as Demeter, would be better off thinking that he was dead and gone. Maybe, if he were gone, truly gone, Morgaine would allow herself to move on. Not today maybe, but one day, hopefully one day soon.

Severus sighed heavily. It was no use. He wasn’t gone, and both Morgaine and Demeter knew it, and all they could do was try to make the best out of it.

~ ~ ~

Breakfast on January first couldn’t have been more different from the other breakfasts the Riverbeds and their guests had shared over the last couple of days. While Demeter and Melvin had always been whispering to each other, giggling and coming up with exciting plans about what to do later that day, they sat now both in silence, each seemingly very interested in their toast and jam. Alek, who had always been very courteous, making sure that Morgaine’s cup was never empty of tea and her plate always warm, was sitting with his head bent, doing whatever possible to avoid looking at Morgaine, who in her turn was trying to at least eat some toast despite the nausea that her headache was causing. The lady of the manor, Aleksandra, was absent altogether.

‘Mother, when will we be leaving?’

Morgaine tried hard not to flinch at the sadness she could hear in her daughter’s voice. How she hated to have to tear Demeter away from Melvin. She knew all but too well that the carefree time the two had spent over the holidays would be nothing but a happy memory once they were back at Hogwarts. There the name calling and taunting would start once more, and they would once again have to hide away in empty classrooms and snow covered rose gardens. And now, after they had spent a couple of happy days together, all of this would seem even harder than before. But Morgaine had no choice. They had no choice. Demeter had to return to Iceland to ensure that the protective spells that had been put over her at her birth would not be broken. And for the sake of her sanity, Morgaine had to return as well.

‘At lunchtime, little one,’ Morgaine answered, trying to keep her voice neutral. ‘The Portkey will activate shortly after twelve.’

Demeter nodded. ‘May Melvin and I go skating after breakfast?’ she asked, and for the first time that morning, Melvin looked up from his plate, his eyes expectant and hopeful.

Morgaine was just about to give her consent when the kitchen door opened.

‘One big, happy family. What a sight to start the new year with.’

Lucius looked immaculate as always, wearing dark green robes and a dazzling smile. One wouldn’t have guessed that he had only slept for a couple of hours. And Aleksandra, who was hanging at his arm, was beaming as if she had just been given the moon. In their wake followed a tiny, ancient-looking house-elf, wearing a torn and filthy pillowcase bearing the Malfoy crest.

The little creature immediately started bustling around, opening cabinets and drawers, and placed Lucius’ favourite breakfast on the table in such a speed that one could only conclude that the elf had been in the Riverbeds’ kitchen many times before. Morgaine fought hard not to sneer. So that was why Lucius had come, to visit yet another of his mistresses. It figured, of course.

‘Why the long faces?’ Lucius asked joyfully after he had escorted Aleksandra to her seat and had taken his own beside her, opposite Morgaine. ‘Come on, Melvin, after having spent the evening with such a lovely girl, you should be smiling. I know I would.’

His smile grew even wider, and he playfully kissed Aleksandra’s hand, giving her a look which tattled of a night filled with diverse adult activities. Aleksandra giggled and lowered her head, blushing.

‘Come on, Melvin, tell Uncle Lucius. Didn’t you get a kiss goodnight?’

Uncle Lucius! Now Morgaine did sneer, silently wondering how many children in Britain had to call Lucius Malfoy uncle, just because he was bedding their mother. She also wondered if Narcissa knew.

Melvin shifted uncomfortably in his chair. ‘Demeter will be leaving in a couple of hours,’ he mumbled, his eyes once more on his plate.

Lucius clapped his hands. ‘Ah, in that case, I have good news for you, dear boy,’ he exclaimed.

Everyone’s heads snapped up. Alek, Aleksandra, Melvin and Demeter were all staring at Lucius with their mouths open, surprised looks on their faces. Morgaine, however, felt the muscles in her neck tighten and gripped her napkin so hard that the fine fabric started to tear. And the smug grin on Lucius’ face told her to expect the worst.

‘Your Portkey has been suspended,’ Lucius went on, his grey eyes glittering. ‘It looks like you get to enjoy your friend for a couple of days more, Melvin. The same goes for you, of course, Alek.’

Melvin and Demeter broke into cheers, but Morgaine silently returned her gaze to her plate, carefully rearranging the torn napkin on her lap. For the children, the words ‘Your Portkey has been suspended,’ meant more time to enjoy each other’s company. They were happy about it, because they didn’t know better. But Morgaine did. She knew that Portkeys did not just get suspended, especially not on January first when no one was working at the Ministry, and especially one that had been applied for in secrecy like the one that should have brought her and Demeter to Iceland. And she knew that only one person in the room had the connections to find out about this particular Portkey and the power to suspend it.

~ ~ ~

‘You will, of course, not try anything stupid, will you, Morgaine?’ Lucius asked her as he entered the room, closing the door behind him.

‘I have no idea what you are talking about, Lucius,’ Morgaine replied, calmly. As much as she hated to be standing with her back to him, she did not want to turn from the window. From this room, she had a perfect view over the back garden, where Demeter and Melvin were skating. If anything happened, she would see it. She had been on the lookout for the better part of the last hour now, although there had been no reason to. The sounds issuing from the room next door, Aleksandra’s bedroom, had made it very clear that Lucius had been busy.

‘I think you know very well what I am talking about, Morgaine duLac,’ Lucius said quietly. He was approaching her now, she could see his reflection in the mirror. Amazingly, after rolling around in Aleksandra’s bed for an hour, there wasn’t a hair out of place.

‘You understand, of course, that you will not be able to Disapparate,’ he explained as he came level with her. ‘Measures have been taken to ensure that. In fact, you will not even be able to leave the house. But I assume you have figured that out already.’

She had indeed. When Lucius and Aleksandra had disappeared again shortly after breakfast, Morgaine had immediately set out to find an emergency escape route. That was when she had figured out what the ancient carvings at the front door really meant. They were indeed meant to keep witches and wizards from passing them, and no one who had magic in their blood could pass them. No one, unless they were invited to by the master or lady of the manor. So that was why Alek had always played the gentleman and held open the door.

‘You will not be leaving the grounds, Morgaine,’ Lucius went on, his voice as casual as if he were talking about the weather. ‘Nor will your daughter.’

‘I have warned you before, Lucius.’ Morgaine’s eyes were still lingering on the children outside. ‘If you are even thinking of harming Demeter ...’

‘And I have told you before,’ Lucius interrupted her, ‘that harming your daughter is the last thing on my mind. She is too precious. She needs to be guarded. And which place could be better suited for this task than this manor, of which no one knows where it is and where people only can enter if they have been invited.’

‘And who invited you, Lucius?’

‘Why, in a way, your daughter did.’

Morgaine spun around, glaring at Lucius, but he just smiled at her.

‘She didn’t know, of course. In fact, I had not expected this to happen for a couple more years. But the sooner the better. Don’t you think so, Morgaine?’

‘What do you mean, Demeter invited you?’ Morgaine hissed, trying hard not to lose control.

‘With her ring,’ Lucius explained, his facial expression suggesting that everything was quite obvious.

‘What ring?’

Lucius tutted. ‘My, my, Morgaine, were you too busy snogging like a horny teenager to keep an eye on your daughter last night? I am disappointed.’

Morgaine felt all the colour leaving her face. Lucius had always known what to say in order to hurt her the most. Him insinuating that she had failed to protect her child was a hard blow, especially since it was the truth. She had let her guard down last night. She had let her own needs, her longing for physical contact get the better of her. Instead of keeping an eye on her daughter, she had accepted Alek’s wine and his invitation to dance, both against her better judgement. And who knew, maybe, if Lucius hadn’t shown up on the terrace, she would have let Alek woo her once more. Maybe she would have followed him to his chambers and spent the night with him.

‘Ah, guilt,’ Lucius whispered, tracing Morgaine’s jawline with one of his long fingers, obviously enjoying the pained expression on her face. ‘It’s such a useful weapon. But now, dearest Morgaine, let me answer your question. I was referring to this ring. Or should I say, those rings?’

He held out his hand, and there lay two almost identical rings, both forged in silver, encrusted with precious emeralds which were encircled by three coiling snakes.

‘This one,’ Lucius started, indicating the slightly bigger ring, ‘appeared at your daughter’s bedside during the first night she spent at Hogwarts. It was too big for her tiny fingers, of course, so she put it away in her jewellery box and forgot about it. All according to plan. She wasn’t supposed to wear it and flaunt it in front of everyone’s nose. You would have seen it and most probably confiscated it. Last night, when it was time to dress up like a princess, Demeter remembered it for the first time, and decided to wear it on her thumb.’

Morgaine was unable to utter a single syllable. She had indeed not noticed. The sleeves on Demeter’s dress had been long, designed to cover the hands. Aleksandra had suggested that dress. Was she in on this?

Lucius was still smiling. ‘This one,’ he continued, now indicating the smaller ring, ‘belongs to my son.’

‘Your son? What does Draco have to do with ...’ A short, almost hysteric laugh escaped Morgaine’s throat. How could it have taken her so long to understand? A platinum blond boy in the midst of a dark-haired family. A boy who didn’t know his father and who had been escorted to King’s Cross by his dear Uncle Lucius.

‘Melvin,’ she whispered, casting a furtive look out of the window. They were still ice-skating, chasing each other across the rink, her daughter and Lucius Malfoy’s son.

Lucius nodded. ‘I wasn’t pleased, at first, of course. I have always prided myself for being very careful when it comes to my, um, illegitimate excursions. But I had been out hunting with Igor Karkaroff all day, I was frozen to the marrow. And when we returned to Durmstang castle that night there was plenty of Russian vodka and a very pretty sixth-year student.’ He shrugged. ‘I even offered her money to get rid of the child, but she refused. As I threatened her, she mysteriously disappeared. I guess she came here. She didn’t contact me again until after Melvin was born.’

‘So this is why Aleksandra wasn’t at Durmstrang anymore when you sent me there.’

Lucius nodded. ‘I offered to pay her well to keep everything silent,’ he went on, ‘but Aleksandra refused. She didn’t want money. She wanted a father for her child. So I showed up at birthdays and Christmases so she would keep her pretty mouth shut. Eventually the little boy stole my heart.’

Morgaine didn’t know if she wanted to smile or vomit all over Lucius’ Italian shoes. As if he even had a heart. But then again, she had seen him and Narcissa run trough the grounds of Hogwarts in a raging battle, dodging spells and risking their own lives in order to find Draco.

‘Life is all about family, Morgaine. And I want my family to be at the top. Draco had the misfortune to grow up in troubled times, and the plans I had for him could never be fulfilled. But Melvin … he will be great one day.’

‘And what is in it for you, Lucius?’

‘The same thing as for you, dearest Morgaine. One day, the whole Wizarding world will look up to our children, and you and I will stand right behind them.’

Morgaine looked out of the window. Demeter and Melvin were now bewitching snowmen to join their snowball fight.

‘You are deranged, Lucius,’ she said quietly. ‘Why on earth would the Wizarding world look up to those children?’

Lucius smiled and carefully laid a hand on her shoulder, now gazing out of the window himself. ‘Because of who they are, my dear Morgaine. Those two children are the Heirs of Slytherin.’

Always By Your Side by morgaine_dulac [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved