Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 0]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Before things escalated, Severus could already see the impending disaster for what it was. Had the Order members been like the Death Eaters, they would have merely Disapparated, saving themselves and leaving the Muggles to their fates with the Dementors. Instead, they were caught between a rock and a hard place. They would have to try and save the very people who wished them harm.

Dumbledore shot a series of phoenix Patronuses at some of the closest Dementors. He was thinking along the same lines as Severus when he announced, "We wish you no harm, please. You surely realize that just like yourselves, there are good and bad wizards. It's the bad ones you need to worry about."

Dumbledore's attention was quickly diverted to a strangled scream behind him. Everything had happened at once and too fast for anyone to react and do anything to stop the Dementor intent on taking Fabian Prewett's soul. A second later, Fabian's body was left slack, his blank eyes staring off into the darkness.

"What the bloody hell's just happened to him?" cried one of the Muggles, who was a young man no older than Severus.

Horrified, some of the Muggles started to retreat, and the threat they could not see but could still feel followed them, leaving fewer Dementors behind.

"What are you doing to us? Why?" screamed a middle-aged woman.

"Please, we're not doing-" Sirius started to reply in haste, but he was cut off when a Dementor came at him. With one well-aimed Expecto Patronum, he sent the creature flying.

"There are too many of them!" Diggle exclaimed, panicked.

Severus scowled. Diggle wasn't the right man for this job, it seemed. Losing his cool under harsh and demanding circumstances didn't bode well for him.

Choosing to ignore the Muggles who actually had the nerve and resolve to advance on them, Dumbledore ordered his fellows to keep sending Patronuses, in the hopes that the Dementors would flee. Caught up in shooting one Patronus after the other at the larger threat, Severus alone seemed to be concerned one of the Muggles might be armed.

In the distance, rattles and screams could be heard, dozens of Muggles losing their souls, but nothing could be done for them at the moment. Severus watched as more Dementors fled and then felt someone's fist connecting with his back. Stunned, he turned, and on instinct to defend himself, he threw a hex at his attacker. The man cried out as his body stung, and for a split-second, Severus felt a pang of guilt at having attacked a Muggle.

He attacked you first, though; don't forget, he reminded himself.

Trying his best to ignore Fabian's body, Severus kept his eyes peeled on the Muggles. Sirius and Remus managed to drive off the last of the Dementors, and Gideon was now free to run to his fallen brother's side, tears of anguish falling down his cheeks.

"No!" Gideon bellowed into the night, his voice raw and pained. "Why didn't you take the Polyjuice when you were supposed to?" he asked the soulless brother in front of him.

"Looks like you couldn't control your own magic, you evil bastards," someone accused. "Serves you right, I'd say."

The man who had just shouted his accusation, who unfortunately reminded Severus of his own father, withdrew a gun from his jacket and aimed it at Gideon, who was mourning his brother. No one expected this. Not accustomed to dealing with non-magical weapons, the wizards were stunned and frozen, and with a bang, the gun went off.

"Die like you've done to us!" yelled the man, his voice oddly strangled and almost inhuman.

The bullet was off just enough to avoid hitting Gideon. Sirius, acting foolish in Severus's opinion, made to tackle the Muggle, but Severus called him off. He aimed his wand at the offending Muggle and Stunned him. He then Summoned the gun to him.

Several Muggles watched in horror as their comrade fell.

"You've killed him!" accused the young male.

More Muggles ran away, feeling afraid for their lives.

"He's not dead," Dumbledore said, stepping toward them. They flinched.

"What do you want? What've we done to you?" asked a woman with curly blonde hair.

"We wish you no harm, as I told you," Dumbledore explained, realizing the fight was over. Around him, however, the Order members kept their guard up. Dumbledore continued, "Your friend is merely Stunned, meaning he is unconscious. A simple spell will reverse it, but we had to act, lest he harm another."

"But he's got the gun now," stated another younger man shakily, pointing at Severus.

Severus rolled his eyes and said scathingly, "My father is a Muggle... a non-magical person just like you. He carries around a gun to protect himself from evil wizards, but unlike you lot, he knows the difference between the good and the bad of us. What would you have me do, leave the gun available for any of you to grab and turn on us?"

Severus noticed the unconscious man's face was wet, as if he had been crying. He didn't fault the man for what he'd done, but neither could he risk someone dying because of ignorance.

The group of five Muggles shivered in the cold night, more from fear than chilliness. The distant screams were dying down now, so the Dementors were likely retreating.

"How many more are dead now?" asked someone quietly.

"I cannot say," Dumbledore replied. "We were trying to defend you from those creatures that suck out souls. You cannot see them, but we can. They are called Dementors and are tools used by those wizards who wish to do you harm. The evil wizard leading these forces is called Lord Voldemort, and it is him and his followers you need to fear."

"How do we know who these people are?" demanded the young man impatiently.

"Knowledge has always been a good thing," Dumbledore explained. "Give me but a moment."

He found the locket on the ground and picked it up, stowing it in his pocket. He then located the ring and was relieved to find it cracked. At least one Horcrux had been destroyed. Surveying his comrades, he addressed them, "Take Fabian to St. Mungo's and return to the safety of your homes after you report to the Ministry."

"What good is St. Mungo's going to do for my brother?" spat Gideon. "He's as good as dead!"

"I am sorry," Dumbledore murmured. "You have your orders."

Severus glanced from the Muggles to Dumbledore. Tonight had been nothing short of a disaster. They had barely protected a small group of Muggles, let alone the much larger crowd that was now soullessly sprawled about the streets of Exeter everywhere.

Figuring Dumbledore was going to educate the Muggles about the war and magic in the hopes of gaining allies, Severus Disapparated with the others. A moment later, he was standing inside the entrance way of his house.

Lily rushed at him, embracing him. "Sev, what's happened?"

She must be able to tell something's wrong by the look on my face.

"Dementors," Severus sighed. "Everywhere. They were loose in Exeter, and we went there in hopes of destroying the Horcruxes. One was destroyed; one wasn't. Dumbledore almost died... well, was almost kissed. A new recruit, Fabian Prewett, was kissed instead. And... a mob of Muggles started to attack us. Most of them were scared off, but one brought a gun with him," he explained, removing the object from his pocket.

Lily gasped. "Did anyone get shot?"

"Luckily, no, but Dumbledore has stayed behind to try and sway the Muggles, I think. I need to report to the Ministry, though. Dumbledore asked us to do so... I'm guessing because they've obviously lost control of the Dementors and the whole mess with the Statute being broken."

"Go, then," Lily replied, "but return as soon as you can."

Giving her a quick kiss, Severus nodded. "I will."

"And, Sev, be careful. Every time you step out of the house, I worry for your life."

Severus stared back at those beautiful green eyes, shining with worry, and left with a crack.

What reassurance could he give that wouldn't be a lie?

x x x x x

While Dumbledore was leading a faction of Order members on their "Destroy the Horcruxes with Dementors" mission in Exeter, Regulus was attending a dinner at Bellatrix's house. Upon entering, she greeted her younger cousin with as much warmth as a cold-hearted witch like her was capable of displaying and invited him into the lounge for drinks.

"And you will be pleased, young Regulus, to know that my esteemed husband is now out of Azkaban," she said, pointing out Rodolphus, who was conversing with the Malfoys. "First it was swaying the Dementors to join our lord, and he followed a few days later with mercy toward his captured followers. Isn't that right, sweetheart?" she asked Rodolphus, her tongue nearly in his ear as she came up behind him and wrapped her arms around his broad chest.

"Indeed," sneered Rodolphus, flicking Bellatrix off like an irksome fly. "No doubt you've been pining away without me around? Or is it more realistic to say that you were spending some 'quality time' with the Dark Lord? Everyone in this room knows you fancy him, Bella."

Bellatrix pretended to look hurt, but then laughed, an unpleasant, shrieking noise. Regulus tried not to grimace as he forced a smile.

Idiots, the lot of you, he thought disdainfully.

"Reg, don't be a wet blanket," pouted Bellatrix, taking her cousin by the hand and leading him closer to the bar. "I believe you are already acquainted with Lucius formally from the meetings and school, but you haven't really engaged in meaningful conversation. The man is brilliant, as Cissy can tell you... and rich. That's going a long way toward the Dark Lord's campaign."

"Little Regulus," Lucius said with a smirk. "Yes, how you've grown. You've made your parents proud, I'm sure... unlike that traitorous brother of yours."

Regulus really wished his family, whether by blood or by marriage, wouldn't bring up Sirius. When Narcissa smiled at him next, he knew it was at least genuine. Of his cousins, she had been the nicest toward him.

"Is it true, then, what I hear? Are you pregnant?" he asked.

"Yes," Narcissa replied, her smile widening.

Regulus finally relaxed some. This, at least, was something he could be happy about. Narcissa would make an excellent mother. Glancing over at Bellatrix, he hoped she never would get it in her dark head to procreate. He shivered at the thought of tiny Lestranges scampering about.

A handful of other Death Eaters and their wives were present as well, and Regulus had to pretend to enjoy their company throughout the dinner. It was easy to put forth a good face. He had been raised doing it. To fool others wasn't so difficult when a Slytherin. The tricky part was hoping the other clever Slytherins didn't figure you out.

The amount of alcohol consumed was ridiculous. Only Narcissa refrained (for obvious reasons), and Regulus was careful not to become intoxicated, lest he forget why he had come here in the first place.

After dinner, people retired to various parts of the house, lazily recounting their favorite raids or killings. Regulus kept close to Bellatrix during this time, listening for anything that might be useful. He had yet to survey the house, as getting himself alone would prove difficult.

"It's too bad I didn't finish that Mudblood off when I had the chance," Bellatrix was saying.

"Ah, Snape's little bitch," Rodolphus cut in. "That battle was an embarrassment."

"And to think," sighed Lucius, "that Snape could have made quite the Death Eater had he remained faithful to the cause. That idiot turned all noble four years ago and hasn't looked back since."

"Aw, don't speak so harshly about Severus," Narcissa intervened. "He may not have his priorities straight, but I was quite fond of him in school. Do you forget, Lucius, that you took him under your wing at one time?"

"Yes, at one time," Lucius spat. "Had I known what a disgrace to Slytherin he would become, I wouldn't have bothered."

"It would have been better had someone just offed him when he was younger and not such a threat," Bellatrix interrupted heatedly. "As it stands, however, I am proud to be in good standing with our master. He has entrusted me with something very important-"

"That you ought not to be sharing," hissed Rodolphus. "Watch your tongue, Bella, before it loosens further."

"It's no matter," Lucius chuckled. "You are not the only one, Bella, whom he has entrusted with precious and valuable commodities."

Ha, if only you knew, Malfoy, Regulus thought. If the Dark Lord knew that diary was nothing but an old, yellowing book, he'd write your death sentence.

Bellatrix's cheeks suffused in jealousy, not liking the thought of sharing the responsibility with anyone else. Taking a sip of wine, she forced herself to calm down and turned her attention to Regulus.

"You're awfully quiet tonight, Reg," she teased. "Anything you care to share?"

Realizing now was the moment, Regulus was careful in his reply. "I don't know, Bella. You seem pretty intent on sharing something. Isn't that right? You're right, of course. What an honor to have been given watch of something of value to the Dark Lord."

Her simpering smile widened. "Oh, wouldn't you like to know, Reggie? I'm afraid I must remain quiet, though. You heard Roddy. It wouldn't do to anger our master."

"Of course not," Regulus said smoothly. "I would never suggest such a thing." Standing, he added, "I'm going to use the loo if you don't mind."

"Not at all," Bellatrix replied, winking.

Regulus politely excused himself from the others and exited the sitting room. He headed down the hallway and up the stairs, finding the bathroom. In truth, he did need to use the toilet, but knowing Bellatrix, she would have picked up on his hint and taken the bait.

He finished his business and stepped into the darkened hallway, not surprised to find Bellatrix waiting for him.

"You always were sneaky and naughty, Reg," she said playfully.

"That's me, Bella... your bad little cousin."

"I really ought to keep a secret, but for you, Reggie, maybe I can make an exception..."

"You don't have to," Regulus put in innocently.

"Oh, when you're so sweet about it, how can I resist you? I never denied you anything, cousin. Here, follow me."

Regulus watched her long, yellow finger beckoning him, and he followed. It was to his advantage that Bellatrix was very intoxicated. She led him down the hallway and to another set of stairs, which went to the attic.

Upon reaching the top, Bellatrix placed a finger over her lips. "Shh," she whispered. "It's a secret, remember?"

Regulus nodded, trying to keep an eagerness out of his face.

Bellatrix went to a trunk and opened it. She withdrew something golden and small.

"It's just a silly, little cup," she supplied. "I don't know what our lord could possibly want with it, but if it's important to him, it's important to me."

"It's so... plain, really," Regulus stated, feigning lack of interest.

"Well, there you have it," Bellatrix said with a shrug. "Pretty boring." She returned the cup to its rightful place and headed for the stairs.

Regulus followed without glancing back. He went all the way downstairs with her and shared in several more hours of sharing stories and drink, late into the night. Before long, everyone fell asleep in their places, leaving Regulus alone in a state of wakefulness.

He stood and left the room, hoping to disturb no one. He quietly made his way up the stairs to the second level and up the next set of stairs to the attic. Shaking his head at Bellatrix's overconfidence and stupidity, he went for the trunk where the cup was kept. He reached for it, grasping it like a precious treasure. He withdrew an old sock from his robe and transfigured it into an exact replica of the cup, placing a Stasis Charm on it to keep it in its current form, hoping Voldemort wouldn't discover the truth.

Glad for his connections and the trust his family put in him, Regulus left Bellatrix's house and Apparated to the boundary of Hogwarts.

In his task, he had failed to realize he was being watched by Narcissa.


The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 0]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved