Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Although the Statute of Secrecy had been broken, the Muggle population was split on whether it believed in the existence of wizards and magic. Over the centuries, Muggles had glimpsed magic on occasion, but it was mostly dismissed as tricks, lies, and fairytales. Even now, with headlines running in the papers, including less reliable sources, most turned their noses up at such ridiculous claims of there being a whole society of magical people capable of unimaginable feats. The attack on Parliament being attributed to wizards was laughable by many, and they would much rather blame terrorist groups and continue to live in their denial instead of facing the facts, which seemed convoluted.

Despite the majority of Muggles disbelieving in magic, the wizarding community was still taking precautions to not be recognized. Voldemort didn't hold back in his attacks, either. Although he had yet to strike on such a large scale again as Parliament, he was reveling in the free reign he thought he possessed.

September was a particularly rough month. The Order increased its efforts to fight the Death Eaters, and several battles resulted in bloody aftermaths. The death tolls were growing on both sides, and new recruits were coming into the Order and the Death Eaters by the week. The war was now on a larger scale than Severus had ever remembered it being the first time.

By the time October came, Severus wondered how much longer the war would endure. He had hoped earlier for it to end before another two years passed... and Lily died again. Any previous knowledge he had at his disposal was no longer valuable. Events were so drastically changed this time around, he couldn't know who would die or when or where the next attack would take place.

He turned his attention to trying to figure out the two remaining unknown Horcruxes. The diary, he knew, resided with Lucius Malfoy, and a raid on Malfoy Manor was in the process of being planned as he sat at his bench in the basement of Spinner's End and worked on more healing potions for the Order. It wouldn't do much good to have all the Horcruxes in their possession without being able to destroy them, however.

If only there was a potion that could destroy Horcruxes. They're made with really Dark Magic; it would take equally powerful magic to destroy them.

Severus sighed, hating his predicament. He felt like they hadn't budged in months.

A creak issued forth from the stairs, and Severus was removed from his thoughts as his dark eyes drifted to the steps. He saw Lily descending them, her belly just starting to show. He watched as she gripped the railing to right herself, pausing before continuing down the stairs.

"How are things going down here?" she asked when she reached Severus.

"Fine," Severus murmured. "Nothing special. Just the usual routine healing salves. Are you okay?"

Placing a hand on her stomach, Lily smiled. "I'm fine, Sev. The morning sickness isn't as bad these days." Her eyes met his. "You've been worrying again."

Shaking his head, he set down the knife he had been using to chop ingredients and checked on the cauldron. "It's nothing new, but then again, nothing is new anymore, is it? I'll be glad when we make that raid on Malfoy's house. At least that will be accomplishing something."

"When do you think it'll happen?"

"Hopefully this weekend. There was talk of the Malfoys being away. Lucius has recently married Narcissa Black, you know."

"I heard she was pregnant as well," Lily pointed out. "They certainly didn't waste any time."

Severus's mouth quirked. "That was how it was last time, too." He had still been friends with Lucius back then. He remembered rather fondly holding baby Draco.

"You're smiling," Lily observed, curious.

"I was just remembering something," Severus replied. "The Malfoys had a son... Draco. I was his godfather. The boy was always fond of me, and despite my cutting ties with the Dark Lord, the Malfoys were still akin to friends to me."

"But they were... are evil, Severus. How could you be friends with people like that?"

Severus's smile faded. "'People like that', Lily? You cannot divide people into simple categories of 'good' and 'evil.' Do you forget my past? Do you think that darkness still doesn't reside somewhere inside of me? Even when I was working for Dumbledore all those years and protecting your son, Harry Potter, I took a certain pleasure in humiliating the kid. Hindsight has since given me a different and better perspective, but I did not have any feelings of true concern for your son. When I killed Dumbledore, you could say my hand was forced, but I had to feel enough hatred for the man to do it. The truth is, Lily, I still harbor a certain amount of loathing toward him, and not just for asking such a task of me. The Malfoys may not have been 'good people' like you, but they knew how to love. They loved each other and their son. In the end of the second war, I do not think they wanted to be a part of the Dark Lord's team anymore. It was fear and self-preservation that was driving them, but they had a change of heart nonetheless. Most of our actions are done for at least partly selfish reasons. My own have largely been so in the past and are partially so even now."

"You aren't selfish, Severus," Lily argued. "What you did, everything you sacrificed... you did it for me, you said."

"Yes, always for you, Lily, but back then, my love didn't extend beyond you as it does now."

"I don't think that's true. To have wound up giving your life in the end had to have taken enormous courage. That kind of sacrifice is selfless. Your reasons may have started out being driven by selfish motivation, but I think you do yourself a disservice in believing that you didn't grow past that."

Severus looked away, uncomfortable under Lily's scrutiny. She had the uncanny ability to see the best in people.

"Enough about me and my past," Severus said, closing the subject. "All this talk won't bring us any closer to winning this war."

Stunned and hurt by her husband's sudden hardening, Lily nodded, keeping her lip from trembling. "You've been working too hard," she whispered. "Come upstairs, Severus."

"I have work that needs to be done, Lily. I am... sorry." He stared at the rough and worn wood of the bench, wishing he had the courage to throw aside his burden and take her into his arms.

Severus felt a soft hand pressed onto his back briefly before he heard the rustle of Lily turning and moving away.

x x x x x

While Severus and Lily were at home having a discussion in their basement, Dumbledore was sitting at his desk at Hogwarts. He had been nursing a growing headache all day and had refused a potion for it, saying it would make him feel drowsy, and he needed to be awake for the important meeting he had that evening.

Right on time, the flames in the fireplace turned green and admitted Regulus Black. The young man stepped out of the fireplace, brushing soot from his fine clothes, his face taking on a haughty expression.

"Good evening, Regulus," Dumbledore cordially greeted him, indicating that the young man ought to sit.

Regulus took the proffered seat. Without greeting, he stated, "Everything is in place."

"Excellent," replied Dumbledore, smiling. "You have done extremely well, Regulus. You are certain that you know the layout of your cousin's house well enough and that we have the cooperation of the house-elves?"

"Yes, sir," Regulus said, moving to the edge of his seat. "If I might be so bold, could I join you?"

Dumbledore stroked his beard thoughtfully, considering Regulus's request. The boy did know about Horcruxes, after all, and he had been vital in helping to arrange this raid on Malfoy Manor.

"You would need to be disguised, of course. We cannot take a large group into the manor. It would need to be someone who isn't going."

"What about my brother?" suggested Regulus.

"Sirius may want to go on the mission."

"But I already have some of his hair saved up. It wasn't hard, what with growing up in the same house together, to procure a sample or two. He hasn't occupied his old room in a couple of years, so I could easily enter and take what I needed."

"I will let you know in a couple of days' time," Dumbledore replied.

Regulus's expression was a bit too eager for Dumbledore's liking, but remembering Sirius's plea to protect his only brother, Dumbledore mostly wanted the younger Black sibling to hang back, if only for his safety.

x x x x x

Much to Lily's dismay, she had to remain behind when the raid occurred three days later. Severus was asked personally by Dumbledore if he would like to be a part of the mission, and he leapt to the call. Dumbledore explained that Sirius Black and Edgar Bones would also be joining them.

When asked to report to the headmaster's office that evening, Severus was curious to know the plan. He wasn't sure how Dumbledore intended to infiltrate Malfoy Manor without being caught. The Malfoys would have their home protected with wards to prevent wizards from merely Apparating in.

When Severus stepped into Dumbledore's office, the other two men were already present. Sirius had an odd expression on his face, seemingly eager to participate in this raid. Severus suspected the other man wanted to do anything he could to help take down his relatives.

"There is a diary we will need to procure," Dumbledore began explaining once Severus joined them. When Edgar gave the headmaster a curious look, Dumbledore didn't elaborate. Severus thought it strange that Sirius didn't appear equally confused.

"What's so important about a ruddy diary?" asked Edgar impatiently.

"We don't have time to be discussing that right now," Dumbledore replied. "The point is, we need to be in and out as quickly as possible. The house-elves have agreed to cooperate with us-"

"I thought they were bound to serve their masters?" interrupted Severus.

"Ah, but you see, we already have one elf who is ready to assist us. Sirius's old elf, Kreacher, is ready to be called, and one of the Malfoys' elves, Dobby, is especially unhappy with his conditions and mistreatment at the hands of his masters. In fact... why don't you call them... Sirius?"

Severus frowned, wondering why Kreacher would listen to Sirius. He remembered the bitter, old house-elf who lived in Grimmauld Place, and he didn't seem to like Sirius very much. Sirius returned the lack of affection. As for Dobby, Severus wasn't surprised to hear that particular elf was willing to disobey his masters.

"All right," Sirius replied. "Kreacher! Dobby!"

In a loud pop, two house-elves appeared in front of them. Kreacher glared at Sirius, but Dobby appeared anxious, yet ready to serve.

"Kreacher has staked out the Malfoy house," Kreacher said in his bullfrog voice. "Kreacher did his master's bidding and found the room where they keep their precious things."

"Dobby is ready, sirs!" Dobby exclaimed enthusiastically. "Dobby has been in the room before, but Dobby doesn't know exactly where the diary is being found there."

"Very good," Dumbledore told the elves, smiling. "Two of us will be Apparating into the Malfoy house by an elf each. Their magic is undetected by the wards."

Severus raised his eyebrows. Well, that is certainly an advantage. Voldemort and his followers alike have underestimated the elves' power. Gazing at Sirius, Severus wondered, But I still can't understand why Kreacher is so ready to listen to Black, unless... he's not really Sirius Black.

Sirius noticed Severus's eyes resting on him, and he glowered at him. Before either young man could utter a word, however, Dumbledore said, "On with the plan, then. Edgar, you may go with Severus. I will accompany Sirius. First, we will Disillusion ourselves." Dumbledore waved his wand over the others, taking care of the spell for them.

Edgar gave the headmaster a nod. Figuring Kreacher would opt to go with his master, he approached Dobby. "Are you ready?"

"Of course, sir," Dobby replied. "Just grab a hold of Dobby's shoulder. You, too, young sir," Dobby said, looking up at Severus.

Severus nodded, careful not to grab Dobby too tightly. He had heard from Bellatrix how she had stabbed the poor creature with a knife, killing him. The little elf was braver than most wizards Severus knew, and more loyal, too.

A moment later, Severus was taken from his thoughts as he arrived in the basement of Malfoy Manor. The basement resembled a smaller version of the dungeons at Hogwarts. Edgar was looking around, his wand held aloft in suspicion as they made their way down the hall. In all his visits to the house, Severus had rarely entered the basement. He recognized the cellar, the place where Voldemort had kept various prisoners during the second war. They made a turn and saw Dumbledore with Sirius and Kreacher.

Taking the lead, Dobby whispered, "This way. We house elves is knowing how to enter the room, but we couldn't Apparate directly in."

Walking next to Sirius, Severus hissed into his ear, "You're not him, are you?"

Sirius glared at Severus. "What are you talking about, Snape?"

"Shh," Dumbledore admonished.

The two young men were silenced, not wishing to draw attention. Coming upon the door, Dobby brought his hand up and waved it, as it he had a wand. He didn't utter a single word, and then the door opened. He motioned for the others to follow.

As soon as they were inside the room, Dumbledore cast several charms to keep others from overhearing them.

This is too easy, Severus thought nervously. His eyes kept darting around, looking for a sign of trouble.

Upon entering the room, the wizards lit their wands. Severus was shocked to see shelves lined with Dark objects, many of them probably cursed.

"Don't touch anything directly," Dumbledore instructed. "Remember, we are looking for a diary. Should you come across it, you ought to be able to touch it, however."

"How do you know it's not cursed like so many of these objects probably are?" questioned Edgar, eyeing the assortment of objects distastefully.

"That is not important," Dumbledore replied vaguely. "Let us begin. We need to move as quickly as possible."

Severus began surveying the shelves. The other wizards and Dobby were working diligently, although Kreacher seemed reluctant to help. After fifteen minutes, the room seemed to grow cooler, and Severus pulled his cloak closer.

"Is there a draft in here?" Edgar wondered aloud.

"I don't-" Severus started to say, but then his eyes fell upon an old book on the uppermost shelf.

"Accio diary," Severus muttered, but nothing happened.

"Did you find it?" asked Dumbledore.

Severus indicated the area above them. Dumbledore waved his wand, no doubt trying a more complicated spell that the younger wizards didn't know. Severus's eyes shifted to Sirius, whose eyes suddenly grew wide in fear. The other man wasn't looking at the others or even at the diary as it fell and landed with a dull thud on the ground.

"Be-behind you," Sirius croaked.

Severus wasn't the only one who felt something tingle and prickle on the back of his neck. A rattling sound issued forth from somewhere over by the door, and Severus felt a shudder run through him. He saw his mum's lifeless body hanging from the rafters, himself begging for help to protect Lily, himself collapsed in a chair and crying for the loss of her... all in his mind, of course. Those were horrible memories, and it was so cold... That could only mean come thing...

Severus turned around and saw it, the thing of nightmares. One scabbed, ugly hand was reaching for Sirius, who seemed plastered to the spot, his face betraying more fear than the rest of them. Dumbledore raised his wand, ready to cast a Patronus Charm, but then Severus was struck with a sudden revelation. Seeing the diary, the thing with a piece of Tom Riddle's soul, and seeing a thing that fed on souls...

"Wait!" Severus shouted.

He lunged for the diary, and picking it up, he tossed it directly at the Dementor. Under its hood, the thing's mouth sensed the diary, like a treat being thrown to a dog, and latched onto it. Sirius fled, hiding behind Dumbledore, watching in shock as the Dementor sucked the diary dry. A silvery essence left the book and entered the Dementor's mouth, and the diary fell to the floor.

Dumbledore exchanged a look of understanding with Severus and Edgar, leaving the two younger men to conjure Patronuses to drive the horrid creature from their midst. Simultaneously, Dumbledore returned the diary to its previous spot.

"Let's go," he instructed.

The Dementor was driven out by a silver doe and a silver groundhog, leaving the doorway clear for the four wizards and two elves to exit. Once in the hallway, the wizards grabbed hold of the elves, and the elves took them to safety. Once in Dumbledore's office, Severus watched, amazed and not surprised, as the Polyjuice wore off, revealing Sirius to really be Regulus. Kreacher released a loud exclamation of joy upon seeing his master and hugged his legs.

"Bloody hell!" Edgar exclaimed, rounding his wand immediately on the presumed Death Eater. "Dumbledore, what's he doing here? Did you know it was him?"

"Calm down, Edgar," Dumbledore said evenly. "Yes, I knew it was Regulus. Of course, he was supposed to be drinking the potion at regular intervals to ensure his identity remained a secret."

"Sorry," Regulus muttered sullenly, glaring at the others, "but that Dementor scared the living shit out of me!"

"Regardless," Dumbledore cut in, "I am glad to see that our mission was successful. Good thinking, Severus."

Edgar, thoroughly confused, glanced from one man to the other. "What was that thing... that diary?"

"That, my dear man, is not your concern." Realizing the implications of too much information being revealed to Edgar, Dumbledore asked Severus and Regulus to leave and wait for him in the adjacent room.

Regulus nodded, dismissing Kreacher and Dobby. Severus frowned, knowing what Dumbledore was about to do. He followed Regulus into the adjoining room and closed the room.

"He's going to Obliviate Bones," Severus stated. "He cannot risk too many people knowing about the Horcruxes."

"You mean... you know about them, too?" Regulus asked.

"Obviously," Severus stated. "And I know about you, Black. You're the spy."

Still unnerved by the Dementor incident, Regulus muttered, "Yeah, that's me, the spy. You don't need to worry, though, Snape. If I dare speak one word of this to the Dark Lord, it's my life. Dumbledore made me vow it."

Silence fell between them, then Regulus said, "Smart of you to think to give the Horcrux to a Dementor."

Despite his wariness around the other man, Severus smirked. He had been successful in destroying a Horcrux.

The door opened a couple of minutes later, and Dumbledore beckoned them to come into the headmaster's office.

"He's gone," he said. "Good job, the both of you. I'm proud, truly proud." He beamed and offered them sherbet lemons, much to the two young Slytherins' eternal dismay.

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved