Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 0]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


"The Muggle Parliament building has been destroyed. You-Know-Who's doing."

Aberforth's Patronus dissolved, leaving complete and utter silence in its wake... for a couple of seconds.

Then pandemonium broke out. Guests exclaimed their shock and disbelief.

"Impossible!"

"You-Know-Who's capable of a lot of things, but to blow up the Muggle Parliament building?"

"No, that's ridiculous!"

Dumbledore kept his face oddly calm, and Severus surveyed the aged wizard from across the crowd. The message had obviously been intended for Dumbledore, but since he was currently in the midst of a hundred other people, the news would spread like untamed Fiendfyre.

Dumbledore was muttering something to Elphias Doge, his longtime friend, and Doge was nodding, his normally cheerful face drawn and morose. Dumbledore approached James and Mary, taking their hands and apparently expressing his regret to leave so soon, but after his final words to the newlyweds, he Disapparated with a pop.

Severus turned back to Lily.

"That's... horrible," Lily whispered, shaking her head. "What do you suppose we're to do?"

"If by 'we,' you mean the Order of the Phoenix, then I have no doubt that Dumbledore will be calling a meeting within twenty-four hours," Severus stated. Lowering his voice, he said, "Nothing like this happened before... you know."

Lily nodded with understanding, catching his meaning that he was referring to his first life.

Suddenly, a clanging noise alerted them, and Severus and Lily turned to face a spoon hitting a crystal goblet, both of which were floating some two feet above James and Mary in the air.

"If we might have everyone's attention," James announced, "Dumbledore has asked that we continue on for now. He has gone to investigate. This is a terrible tragedy, but he seemed to think it worth celebrating something today, a day that will be remembered otherwise with tragedy."

As James spoke, his voice was strangely hollow and despondent. Severus imagined that his old adversary found it difficult as anyone, save Voldemort and his followers, to be joyful on a day like today.

Most of the people were nodding with understanding. A few feet away, the Longbottoms appeared especially unnerved.

"But that's impossible," Alice protested softly to Frank. "How are we supposed to pretend to be happy when innocent Muggles have gone dead?"

"I probably ought to report to the office," Frank returned. "I haven't been officially called yet, but considering... the Ministry will need all the Aurors they can get."

After their exchange, the couple approached Severus and Lily.

"We're going to head out," Alice explained. Taking Lily's hands and giving them a reassuring squeeze, the slightly older woman continued, "But I wanted to express my congratulations to the both of you again. We will have many baby stories to share in a few months' time."

Giving Alice a watery smile, Lily replied, "Thank you."

"Well, good bye, then," Frank said. "We'll say good luck to the Potters and be off."

"Good bye," Severus said quietly, sighing as the Longbottoms left. He looked at Lily, asking, "How are you holding up?"

"Still feeling a bit queasy, but nothing serious," she replied.

Severus wanted to tell Lily that the Longbottoms made a good point - that it was next to impossible to celebrate when the war had just escalated, but he didn't want to dampen her spirits. Despite his feelings otherwise, Severus kept quiet and forced himself to stay a couple of more hours.

The party never really felt right, though.

x x x x x

Much later that day, when night had fallen, a young man ran panting through the forest. His black robe caught on a tree branch, ripping it, and he cursed, pulling the damn thing free. In his anxiety and frustration, his hood had blown down, as the wind seemed to be picking up, revealing dark hair that framed his face wildly. He appeared slightly mad.

"Ridiculous," he muttered. "Why did I ever think- ? What did I think- ?"

He was rendered speechless as a jagged bolt of what looked like lightning hit the ground, and he visibly jumped, retreating some into the shadows.

"Please, don't hurt me!" the young man called out in desperation.

"That was not my intention," came the reply. Dumbledore raised his hand, and the branches stilled. The wind seemed to abate.

"Now," Dumbledore said, "what might a Death Eater request from me? Do you come bringing your master's latest threats, such as his reasons for destroying an important Muggle building and killing countless innocents?"

"N-no," Regulus stuttered, wringing his hands. "I had nothing to do with what happened today, I swear it! I was... otherwise occupied."

"Indeed?" Dumbledore inquired smoothly. "What is it you wish to tell me, Regulus?"

Regulus reached for his pocket. If Dumbledore thought the young man might pull out his wand, he didn't make any move to defend himself. Instead of a wand, though, Regulus's trembling hand held up a heavy gold locket on a chain.

Dumbledore recognized the item from Bob Ogden's memory, the same memory that had revealed the ring to him. His bushy white eyebrows were raised.

"Take it," Regulus offered.

"Do you think me a fool?" Dumbledore asked, more harshly than he intended.

Regulus recoiled. "It... it won't hurt you, so long as you don't put it on, I think."

"How did you come by this?" Dumbledore persisted. "Since you are bringing it to me, I assume you have your reasons?"

"Yes," Regulus readily replied. "It's a Horcrux. I've figured out his secret. He's splitting his soul and putting parts of it into different items."

Dumbledore didn't let on that he already knew about the Horcruxes. He wasn't about to trust Regulus, should the boy go running back to his master.

"Interesting," Dumbledore pretended to muse. "And how did you come by this... Horcrux?"

"Two days ago, the Dark Lord requested a house-elf, so he asked me for Kreacher, my family's elf. I was more than ready to give him what he wanted. When Kreacher didn't return for a day, I grew suspicious and concerned. Kreacher was always loyal to my family, to me especially... and most definitely not to my idiot brother, but anyway... I finally called for him, and he returned to me, as he is bound to obey me. I asked him where he'd gone, and he told me how the Dark Lord had taken him to a cave, how he had a locket to hide, thus making poor Kreacher drink some sort of potion that made him see horrible visions, and the Dark Lord left Kreacher there to die! Had I not called him, he would have died. I demanded he take me to this cave. Kreacher didn't want to, but he obeyed without question. I exchanged the locket and drank the potion... and I saw... I... It was horrible!" Regulus's voice was shaking, but he forced himself to continue on.

"I was dreadfully thirsty after downing the whole basin of potion that protected the locket. I demanded water, and Kreacher reached in the lake surrounding us... only for an army of Inferi to come at us. I would have died had Kreacher not taken me out with him."

"I see," Dumbledore said, very interested in Regulus's tale, but keeping his tone and face impassive. "And why have you come to me?"

"I requested to see you, sir, because... because you gave me the benefit of the doubt before... during my last year at school."

"That seemed rather foolish of me, looking back," Dumbledore bit out. "You seemed genuinely remorseful, only you chose to go down the path of so many others from you house. What has changed now, Regulus?"

"He used Kreacher! He used an innocent, defenseless house-elf!" Regulus shouted. "For the first time..." His breathing was shallow, so it took a few breaths for Regulus to calm. "For the first time, I finally realized what a twisted bastard he is. What I saw when I drank that potion were my worst nightmares. I saw Kreacher, frightened and alone, almost dying as Inferi pulled him into the lake. The point is, if he was willing to do that to a house-elf, what else is he willing to do? I thought joining him would be about honor and power, but that's not true. He's got us following him like a load of worthless slaves... servants." Regulus crinkled his nose distastefully. "Some are more than happy to help, to simper at his feet... Lucius Malfoy... my cousin, Bellatrix. He's given them special treatment. I thought I was to be selected for the same special treatment, but all he needed from me was my house-elf... for his damned Horcrux."

Hearing the bitterness in Regulus's voice, Dumbledore wondered if some of the boy's hesitation had been genuine in the past. Had Severus swayed Regulus just enough a couple of years earlier to keep him from truly becoming completely Dark?

"You have given me a lot of information," Dumbledore stated, "and for that, I thank you, but the question begs, Regulus: Where do you wish to go from here?"

"I... I want out," Regulus whispered, "but that's impossible. Once branded, it's servitude or death."

"Ah, not necessarily," Dumbledore said. "There are other options, but I must be sure that you are truly being honest with me. I would therefore ask, Regulus, that you take the Unbreakable Vow should you wish to serve me instead."

"The Unbreakable Vow?" gasped Regulus. "That's-"

"That's my final offer," Dumbledore stated firmly. "We will need a Bonder, of course, but my brother is but a mile away in the village, and I believe you already had the pleasure of meeting Aberforth when you overheard the prophecy."

"You're a shrewd and ruthless old man," Regulus observed. "I can see why the Dark Lord fears you."

"This is a war, Regulus, and I have lived a long time. I know a thing or two about strategy, and I am no fool."

"All right," Regulus agreed, taking a shaky breath. "I'll do it."

x x x x x

Miles away, had Severus known Regulus was now in his previous life's position, he would have blanched. Instead, he was, for the time, safely in his house with his wife and their unborn child.

Lily was lying across his lap as he stared into the fire.

"Sev?" she asked, her voice sleepy.

"Yeah?"

"What if the Statute of Secrecy was broken today?"

"Then we're in a hell of a lot of trouble," Severus sighed warily.

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 0]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved