Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS-Centric

Christmas at Hogwarts by grugster [Reviews - 0]

<<

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter 2 – Preparations

“About time you came, Mr. Weasley,” Severus said impatiently as he pushed his barely eaten snack away. “Have you retrieved all the items?”

“Yes, Master Snape,” Charlie said sarcastically, bowing theatrically. Charlie refrained from adding more. He could not, however, restrain himself from glancing worriedly at the tray full of Severus’ afternoon snacks. Severus had not eaten any of the fruits and just had taken one bite of the donut.

“Stop being cheeky, Mr. Weasley,” Severus said sternly. After seeing Charlie's glance at his tray, he waved his wand, and the food and tea disappeared. “And don't even think about commenting my eating habits. I have enough people pestering me.”

“With hardly any effect on you, it seems,” Charlie scolded lightly.

“Mr. Weasley,” Severus growled warningly.

“Yes, yes, I know. It's none of my business.”

“Exactly. So where are they?” Severus impatiently asked the young, red-haired man.

“I have everything. The last item just arrived a few minutes before I left my quarters,” Charlie explained while reaching into the pockets of his cloak, pulling out several items, which he tossed onto Severus' bed.

“Fantastic,” Severus murmured, grabbing the small jewelry case covered in red velvet. He opened it and carefully withdrew the bracelet for Minerva out of the box.

“It’s beautiful, Professor Snape,” Charlie breathed, while leaning over to have a closer look.

“Yes, it is,” Severus said pensively. He handed Charlie the bracelet to have a closer look.

“I'm sure Minerva will love it.” As time had worn on, Charlie soon became more comfortable calling his new colleagues by their first name. Minerva, however, was the only colleague he still found difficult to address her by her first name. Seven years of having her as your strict Head of House were hard to forget. Still, he was amazed at how different all of the professors were now that they were his colleagues. Excluding the Potions Master and Madam Pomfrey, all of his former professors requested that he use their given names.

He had spent an extended amount of time with Snape, settling things for teaching and brewing. Severus had already agreed to let him teach the lower grades and help with brewing potions for the hospital wing. One day, Alastor had convinced them to play cards with him. Surely, so that we would become more acquainted with one another, Charlie had thought. Sometimes I wonder who is more manipulative, Albus or Alastor. They usually played a few rounds of wizard’s chess or discussed a new Potions magazine, at least until Madam Pomfrey found out and scolded Charlie for agitating Snape. He seemed to be a very private man, even though it was a lot of fun to talk with him.

Charlie passed the bracelet back to Severus, who carefully placed it back into the jewel case. “I hope so,” Severus said, deep in thought. He was anxious about Minerva's reaction, and he was nervous about how the evening would go.

Severus' glance fell on the old-fashioned book. “The Magic of Healing by Barnaby Miller,” Severus read out loud. “It's for Poppy. She loves his books.” He opened it and pointed his index finger at the scribbling on the first page. “Look, I contacted him and asked him to sell me a signed version. And I’ll also give her this bottle of strong whisky. She has a soft spot for it, and with a little luck, she will drink it immediately with Alastor and forget about my curfew today.”

Charlie laughed heartily. He loved Severus' humor. It was statements like this that made him wonder why he was not allowed to call Snape by his first name. Would he even be telling me these things if he still felt uneasy around me? And he still insists on calling me Mr. Weasley. I‘ve made the offer for him to call me Charlie various times, but he has never taken the offer. Alastor has said that I need to be patient because Severus isn't a man who easily opens up to others. He also has said that I should be quite proud that he can be so relaxed around me.

“I wouldn't count on it, Professor. To be honest, Madam Pomfrey had instructed the entire staff to keep a close eye on you at the feast.” Charlie felt slightly uneasy telling Severus this, but he did not want to hide it from him.

Seeing Charlie's uncomfortable expression, Severus chuckled. “Of course she has, Mr. Weasley. I would have been extremely surprised if that mother hen hadn’t said anything.”

“I wished you would stop calling me Mr. Weasley, Professor. I always have to force myself to not turn around to see if my father is in the room. Why can't you just call me Charlie?”

“Hmmpf,” was Severus' only reply. To distract the redhead from that particularly unpleasant topic, he showed him the ancient-looking pack of skat cards. “These are for Alastor. There are designs of small dark creatures all over them. I know that Alastor will love it. I also hope to see his face when he realizes that they bite when you are careless or cheat.” Severus grinned impishly, imagining the surprised look on Alastor's face. “ He’s also receiving this grotesque talisman, because he collects these kind of things. It is supposed to guard you from banshees. I am rather curious to see if it would work on a screaming Poppy as well. You should have seen her when Alastor sneaked a butterbeer in here for me. It was terrifying.”

“I remember; he told me about it. I'm sure he will give this talisman a try next time a situation like that should arise,” Charlie said, laughing.

“Just wait until you are on the receiving end of her scolding. You will not speak so lightly about it then.”

“Have you forgotten that I was a frequent patient here during my school days because of my risky maneuvers in Quidditch, Professor?”

“Ah yes, how could I forget? But let me warn you that she is much harsher with her adult patients than with the youngsters.”

“My ears are ringing, Severus, which can only mean that my cheeky patient is telling stories about me,” Poppy said as she came out of her office and over to Severus' bed. Severus quickly threw the bed covers over the presents, attempting to hide them from her so that Poppy would not see them. She lifted an eyebrow at the big bulge under the sheets and asked suspiciously, “Hiding something?”

“Just Christmas presents, Madam Pomfrey, really,” Charlie tried to calm the mediwitch and prevent her from spoiling the surprise by looking under the covers.

“Oh, yes, Mr. Weasley. We will discuss your part in my patient’s forbidden Christmas shopping later.” A snicker from the direction of the bed made her frown at Severus.

“What did I tell you, Mr. Weasley?” The stern expression on Poppy's face caused him to put on his puppy-dog look, which worked yet again. Merlin, why did I not come up with this earlier? All the women in this castle seem to fall for this face. All except Trelawney, but I do not even want to think about trying it.

Poppy had turned to Charlie again. “Before I forget, you have to see me for the regular staff examination before classes start. Would ten tomorrow morning be okay with you?”

“Yes, I will be here, Madam Pomfrey. Now, I’d better go.” Charlie had the slight feeling that Madam Pomfrey had already spotted the empty tray, and she seemed to suspect something. He did not want to be present when she asked Snape about it.

“Oh, no, wait, I will come with you. I just have to take my potion and gather my presents,” Severus said quickly. He glanced anxiously from Poppy to the bulk under the covers to find a way to gather the presents without letting Poppy see them.

“I said you could leave when you finished your snack, Severus,” Poppy said while crossing her arms, sternly glaring at him.

Severus looked at the empty tray and back to Poppy. How could she know that I have not eaten the food? No, she must be bluffing. “I don't know what you are talking about, Poppy. I have finished it already.” He gestured to the tray.

“Oh really, that's fantastic, Severus! How were the peaches?” Poppy asked sweetly.

“Fine, as well as the chocolate donut.” Severus was relieved that he could remember the donut as well.

Poppy glared at him. “I don't know how much of the donut you ate, but I do know that there were not any peaches on that plate, Severus. Where are your resolutions to be healthier now? All flushed away by your excitement for Christmas?” she said, scolding, but she was friendly as she moved the tray in front of Severus again. “As much as I enjoy seeing you in seasonal spirit, I would prefer that you don't neglect eating.” Poppy waved her wand and the plate was filled again, as well as the cup.

“That's more than it was the first time, Poppy,” Severus said sulkily.

“You want to complain?” Poppy asked challengingly.

Severus opened his mouth, but closed it without replying. He took one of the apple slices and began to eat.

“Maybe we can fill out some papers for your staff file while Severus is eating, Mr. Weasley,” Poppy told Charlie as she pushed him towards her office.

After fifteen minutes Severus had finished his snack. He drank his potion, packed his presents in a bag and shrunk it. Quickly, he dressed in his usual robes and smoothed the cloth with his hands. I forgot how good it feels to have my robes on. Those damn nightshirts are horrible. At that moment, Poppy and Charlie came out of the office, and after a quick diagnostic spell, Severus was released until midnight. Or as he thought about it, he got his parole.

Christmas at Hogwarts by grugster [Reviews - 0]

<<

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved