Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Severus shifted uncomfortably. The sun was out in full force and was beating down upon every student seated in the stiff, wooden chairs arranged in several rows on the grassy lawn of Hogwarts. Dressed in their finest school robes and, unfortunately to the students, donning pointed black hats, the graduating class was gathered, seated alphabetically, and chattering amongst themselves.

Severus could see the back of Lily's head a few rows ahead, and he frowned, wishing their last names were closer together.

In a few short weeks, she will be Lily Snape, and if that were the case now, she would be sitting right next to me, Severus thought fondly, encouraged.

He caught his father's eye for a moment, and then Lily's parents, who were seated with Tobias, cast him smiles. Petunia appeared distinctively unsure of herself, but Severus gleaned a wonder in her eyes as they roamed in awe over the grounds and on to the impressive castle beyond.

Dumbledore stepped onto the platform and pointed his wand at himself, magnifying his voice, saying, "Good morning, everyone. It is my pleasure to present to you the class of 1978 of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Let the ceremony begin!"

There was a round of applause, and Severus tried not to grimace when Professor Flitwick began conducting some enchanted instruments to play the Hogwarts Alma Mater. Severus didn't suppose there was any official tune to the ridiculous song, since the instruments had just as much variation in the tune each chose to play as when the students sang the song to their choice of tune. When his eyes drifted to Petunia, Severus tried not to snigger, as she appeared unsettled and affronted at the cacophony coming from the blaring horns and squeaky strings.

Just when Severus thought he was going to have to cast a spell to spare him further damage to his precious eardrums, the noise stopped. There was a hesitant applause from the student body and the families. Only Dumbledore seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself.

Dumbledore stood behind the podium and resumed making some opening remarks, most of which Severus ignored. He had been through this once before as a student and several times as a professor. The other professors appeared happy for the graduates, but Severus knew he had simply sat there when he had been a professor, an eternal scowl plastered on his face, awaiting the end of the ceremony.

Finally, Dumbledore announced that the diplomas were to be issued. The Heads of House were invited to stand in a line to receive each student as he or she stood and walked to the front. Dumbledore began announcing the names alphabetically, including what house that person belonged to and any special honors he or she might have.

When Sirius's name was spoken, Sirius proudly stood and ambled to the front. Professor McGonagall was smiling widely at him and shook his hand vigorously, and from his seat, Severus had to refrain from snorting.

Not too long after that, Lily was called.

"Lily Evans, of Gryffindor, Head Girl, and excelling in Charms and Potions," Dumbledore's voice grandly proclaimed.

Severus watched proudly as Lily made her way to the front. Her family was cheering, and even Petunia was politely clapping. Several students were calling out her name, whistling, and clapping, but Severus just smiled at her. Never one to make a spectacle of himself, Severus wondered if any of the other students could truly be as happy for her as he was. Somehow, he doubted it.

Lily was graciously received by all the Heads of House and the headmaster. McGonagall showed an uncharacteristic amount of emotion by bestowing a hug upon Lily, and Slughorn exuberantly shook her hand. Severus wondered how she didn't fall off the stage. Once Lily turned to come back to her seat, her eyes found Severus, and she smiled boldly at him, waving.

The ceremony proceeded, Remus Lupin going up modestly, but when it came James Potter's time, he was even more pompous than Sirius. Severus shifted again in his seat, anxiously awaiting the end of the proceeding.

Finally, Dumbledore announced, "Severus Snape, of Slytherin, Head boy, and excelling in Potions and Defense."

Taking a deep breath, Severus stood and walked toward the stage. He could hear Lily's parents and his father clapping, and when he passed the row where Lily was seated, he couldn't help but turn his head. She beamed at him, clapping boisterously. Severus offered her a small smile and quickly approached the front, received well by Slughorn and politely by the other professors. Dumbledore gave him his diploma with one hand and shook his hand with the other, remarking, "Well done, Severus. You ought to be proud."

Severus gave the headmaster the briefest of nods, wishing to be done and away from the center of attention. Although the applause wasn't as loud as it had been for Lily, Severus was pleasantly surprised when quite a few of the students applauded. He returned to his seat promptly, and after him, there weren't too many students left.

After the seemingly unending roll call was through, Dumbledore took center stage again, saying, "You are now all officially graduated from Hogwarts. In the midst of times such as these, you have much ahead of you, but I have no doubts that you all will go far and make the wizarding world proud. This is the first time in years that I have witnessed such unity among the houses. It is only together that we will stand strong and prevail over the darkness that threatens to take everything we hold dear from us, but you young men and women are going to make a world of difference. You have chosen to embrace the virtues of all four houses: hard work, ambition, courage, and wisdom. On behalf of the staff, we wish you all success and luck in all your future endeavors! With that said, congratulations!"

Flitwick began conducting the array of instruments once again, only they played in unison, the music much more pleasant. With the pomp of the music, the students threw their hats up into the air. Families stood and applauded more loudly than ever before. In the crowd, Severus stood and sought Lily, eager to congratulate her.

Finding Lily, Severus wasted no time in throwing his arms around her.

"This is it! It's official, Sev! We're really finished!" Lily exclaimed excitedly.

"So it would seem," Severus said wryly, smirking.

Lily laughed at his sarcasm. "Come on, Sev," Lily beckoned. "Let's go to our families."

Nodding, Severus allowed Lily to take him by the hand and lead him through the crowd. When they reached Violet, Ross, Petunia, and Tobias, Lily immediately asked, "So, what did you think?"

"I'm happy to be a part of this celebration," Violet remarked. "From what you'd told me about Hogwarts, I could only imagine what it must look like, but this is truly amazing."

"I must say, the opening song was certainly quite the treat," Ross joked, to which Tobias laughed, but Violet playfully smacked her husband on the arm.

Lily briefly giggled, but sobered when her eyes came to rest on Petunia, who was gaping longingly at the castle, and she was reminded of the time long ago when Petunia had written to Dumbledore, asking to attend Hogwarts.

While Severus spoke with his father to the side, Lily approached her quiet sister and asked softly, "Tuney?"

Lily hadn't meant to use her sister's old nickname, but the name had rolled off her tongue naturally. Petunia's eyes left the castle and locked with Lily's. She didn't seem to mind the old name, but a wistful expression filled her face.

"Yes?" Petunia replied just as softly.

"Would you like to personally meet Dumbledore?"

"And why would I want to do that?" Petunia suddenly asked defensively, her walls going back up.

"I didn't mean anything offensive by it," Lily quickly explained. "It's just... you wrote to him when you were a girl. He was kind enough to reply, and I thought you would like the chance to get to meet him after all this time."

Petunia gazed distrustfully at the headmaster off in the distance, who Lily noticed was speaking with the Marauders and their families, save the Blacks.

"Why would he want to talk to me?" Petunia spat.

"Dumbledore would be honored to talk with you," Lily said sincerely. "Come on, Petunia. Please come with me?"

Petunia glanced back at her parents, who were now speaking animatedly with Tobias and Severus.

"Well... all right," she said hesitantly.

Had they been little girls, Lily would have grabbed her sister's hand and pulled her along, but she didn't think Petunia would appreciate being yanked around like a rag doll. Lily stepped toward the headmaster, occasionally glancing to her side to ensure Petunia was still there. The walk was awkward, and as they drew closer, James, Sirius, and Remus were still with Dumbledore. When Lily and Petunia reached the headmaster, Dumbledore's eyes seemed to find Petunia, and he smiled.

Petunia was dumbstruck.

"Ah, this must be your lovely older sister. Petunia, is it?" Dumbledore asked kindly.

Lily was amazed that Dumbledore had remembered after all this time. When she realized Petunia wasn't going to speak, Lily stated, "Yes, sir, that's right. Petunia, meet Professor Dumbledore."

Petunia, not wishing to be rude in front of such a formidable figure, extended her hand slowly. Dumbledore took it genially and shook it, saying, "A pleasure to finally meet you. You were a most engaging girl in your letter, and I had wondered what you were like in person."

"I, uh... pleasure to meet you, sir," Petunia said shyly.

Lily exchanged a look with James, who was smirking. He stepped forward and extended his hand to Petunia.

"Petunia, is it?" James said earnestly. "I'm James Potter, a friend of your sister's. And these two not as handsome blokes are Sirius and Remus, my best mates."

Sirius snorted. "Not as handsome as you, James? I beg to differ. Hello there, Petunia." Sirius, always being a flirt with the ladies, bowed at Petunia, no doubt trying to be dashing.

Remus was modest and waved, uttering a quiet, "Hello."

Petunia was at a loss for words. Lily hoped her sister wasn't affronted by being surrounded by so many wizards, but then, Petunia's lips hitched into a smile at Sirius's antics. If Lily wasn't mistaken, Petunia almost seemed... flattered.

While Petunia interacted with the Marauders, Dumbledore placed a hand on Lily's forearm, saying, "My congratulations, Lily."

"Thank you, sir," Lily replied politely.

"I was wondering if you might get Severus?" Dumbledore suddenly inquired. "There is something I would like to share with you both."

Lily gave him a quizzical look, to which Dumbledore merely chuckled. "I assure you; it's nothing bad."

"All right," Lily said. "I'll be right back."

Curious as to what the headmaster could have up his loose sleeve, Lily made to return to her family, Tobias, and Severus. She glanced behind her, seeing Petunia wrapped up with Sirius. Thinking the scene quite strange indeed, Lily shrugged, then continued to walk toward Severus.

"Sorry to interrupt," Lily apologized to the group, "but Dumbledore wished to speak with you, Severus."

Severus's eyebrows knitted together. "Do you know why?"

"I don't know," Lily admitted, "but he wished to speak with us both, not just you alone."

"All right," Severus said, having an idea what this might be about. "Excuse me," he murmured to his father and Lily's parents.

"We'll just be here waiting," Violet stated. "Don't worry about us."

"Hopefully it won't take too long," Lily assured. "Oh, and before you wonder about Petunia, she's off speaking with some of my, er, friends."

At this, Severus gazed incredulously at Lily. He wished to ask what friends Lily meant, but his eyes, while scanning the crowd for Dumbledore, found Petunia with the Marauders.

Well, there's a sight I never thought I'd see, Severus thought, shocked.

Without further delay, Severus and Lily returned to Dumbledore.

"Congratulations, Severus," Dumbledore said in way of greeting.

"Thank you, sir," Severus replied, a little guarded. He knew Dumbledore hadn't asked him over to simply congratulate him.

Dumbledore inconspicuously flicked his wand, likely casting a spell to deter others, and lowered his voice, then said, "I was wondering... I've already asked James, Sirius, and Remus to join, and they readily agreed. Seeing as you are now finished at Hogwarts, I would like to extend to you an invitation to a sort of secret society called the Order of the Phoenix. I lead this organization, and what it is is a group of people who have agreed to fight against Voldemort and his followers."

Lily's eyes were huge at this revelation, and Severus tried to appear equally surprised and not flinch at the use of Voldemort's name.

"Wow," Lily breathed. "I always knew you stood for the side of Light, sir, but I had no idea..."

Dumbledore smiled. "Most don't, Lily. I am not asking you to decide this moment, but there will be a meeting soon, but I cannot reveal its time or location until I have your consent."

"I'll join," Lily said eagerly. She looked expectantly at Severus, thinking he would be leaping at this opportunity.

Severus's suspicions were confirmed. While he would join, he held some reservation, thinking of his involvement in the Order last time.

Yes, but this won't be like that, Severus mentally told himself. You won't be a spy. People may actually trust you, even like you.

Before either Dumbledore or Lily could think Severus was having doubts, Severus stated firmly, "Yes, I will join, too."

"Excellent!" Dumbledore replied, his voice full of energy. "The next meeting will be in two weeks from tonight, at seven o'clock at the Hog's Head's basement."

Dumbledore lifted the charm around them, saying, "I must go congratulate a few others." Giving them a wink, he ambled off.

"Can you imagine, Sev?" Lily asked.

He was tempted to say he could, but refrained. "It will be quite the experience, I'm sure."

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved