Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Challenge Fics > Potter Place Challenges

The Real Me by debjunk [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


The weekend loomed ahead of her. She knew she would be lonely this weekend. Severus usually popped in at some point every weekend, but she doubted he would show his face. She found she was more worried about his anger than the obvious danger that threatened her.

She hated having Severus mad at her. She had grown quite accustomed to his company. She had come to treasure their time together. Unfortunately, with his ire, she had only received dark looks from him when she had passed him in the hallway or had seen him at dinner. He had taken to sitting on the other end of the table, far from her. He would glare at her occasionally, but that was the only eye contact they had made these past few days. Sybill had been beside herself, not knowing what to do to make him forgive her.

Tears formed in her eyes as she thought about him. He had been so cold. She missed him. It had only been a couple of days, but she missed his sarcasm and his company. She had fallen for him, as her vision had attested. However, she didn’t know how that vision would ever come to fruition with his being furious with her. She would have to wait and see.

Today, however, she would not sit and pine for a man who obviously didn’t want to be around her. She needed to go to the grocer and get some supplies. She found that her stores had been depleted, despite the fact that she ate mostly at Hogwarts. Gathering her wand and some money, she set out to do her shopping.
oooOOOooo



Sybill had gone directly to the market, which was only a few blocks from her home. She was not going to chance being caught by Malfoy just because she had been wandering around Hogsmeade, window shopping. She emerged from the market with a bag in her hand and quickly headed back toward her home. As she walked, she saw a vision of a girl crying in an alleyway. The image left her with a strange feeling. It was a feeling of dread. The child must be lost and scared, she thought to herself, chalking up the feeling to the child’s fright.

Coming upon the alley, she saw the girl with her head in her hands, sobbing loudly. Sybill debated whether to calm the child. She had always had a soft spot for young children, so she hurried to the girl’s side.

As she approached the child, she noted that she seemed to be around seven years old. The girl must be lost. She had her head in her hands as she cried pitifully. Sybill was uncertain why no one else had discovered the child. She came up to her and placed her hand on the girl’s shoulder. The girl looked up to her with tears running down her cheeks.

“Are you lost, sweetie?” Sybill asked gently.

The girl started to fidget. She nodded her head while she fished in her pocket for something.

“I’ll help you find your mum, dear. What’s your name?”

The girl only looked at Sybill as she took her hand out of her pocket. The girl raised her fist until her small hand was level with Sybill’s face. She opened her palm to reveal a powdery substance in it. Before Sybill had a chance to react a male voice emanated from the child, and the powder was blown in her face.

“Sweet dreams,” the voice told Sybill as she was knocked unconscious by the powder.
oooOOOooo



Sybill slowly regained consciousness to find herself roped to a chair, her wrists bound behind her. She kept her eyes closed and listened for some clue as to where she was and who her captors were. Of course, she figured Malfoy and Lestrange had finally gotten to her as her vision had shown her bound to a chair, but she had to be sure. She heard low voices murmuring in the distance.

“The plan went off without a hitch. She thought I was a kid, and before she knew it, she was out cold!”

Sybill didn’t recognize that voice, but the next one sent shivers down her spine. It was Lucius Malfoy’s.

“Well done, Rodolphus. We were lucky Severus wasn’t around today. He usually hangs around like a puppy dog.”

There was silence for a minute.

“When will she awaken?” Lucius asked.

“She should be up any minute now. It’s a fast-acting sleep agent.”

Sybill heard footsteps approaching her. Suddenly a hand struck her face. Sybill’s eyes involuntarily flew open and filled with tears from the pain.

“It seems she’s awake already,” Lucius said smugly.

Sybill straightened her head and glared at Malfoy.

“You, Sybill Trelawney, have much to answer for,” Lucius shot at her.

“I have done nothing to earn your ire, sir. It was the greed of your Dark Lord that brought about his demise!”

“You will pay for your prophecy, Trelawney. Voldemort shall have his revenge.”

Sybill worked her hands back and forth slowly, trying to get a grasp of the ring that Severus had given her without bringing attention to herself.

“You will die a slow death,” Lucius told her.

Lestrange came up next to him, now in his restored body. “Before that, however, you will be tortured with the Cruciatus curse until you can stand it no more. It’s only what someone like you deserves.”

Sybill only stared as she found the ring and twisted it. She hoped that Severus would come quickly. He would come, wouldn’t he? Or would he think this a fitting end for her foolishness.

“Say something, witch?” Lestrange demanded. “Don’t you want to grovel for your life?”

“I would not give either of you the satisfaction of groveling,” Sybill replied caustically.

Lucius raised his wand and cried, “Crucio!”

Sybill felt a searing pain encompass her body. How did anyone survive even a few seconds of this? She screamed aloud.

“That will teach you to be insolent,” Lucius told her.
oooOOOooo



Severus was sitting in his chair in front of his fireplace, mulling over not being with Sybill. He usually had Apparated to her home by now, and they would enjoy lunch together. However, today he was angry. He would not be gracing her doorstep any time soon. She could go ahead and get herself killed as far as he was concerned. The woman was insufferable. However meritorious her bravery might be, she was risking her life for nothing. He could not accept that. He had taken too much time trying to protect her for her to just throw it all in his face and basically invite Lucius Malfoy to abduct her. He would have nothing more to do with the infuriating woman.

Suddenly he felt a jolt on his finger. He looked down at his ring. It was growing colder by the second. It was her sign—Sybill was in trouble. Fear filled him, and he forgot his anger. He bolted from his chair. The man had never moved so fast in his life. He raced out of the castle and to the Apparition point, hoping he would not be too late. Reaching the point where he could Disapparate, he extended his wand and spun around, ready for a fight.
oooOOOooo



The two men had been throwing curses at her for a few minutes now, and Sybill’s face was stained with tears. She had screamed so loudly that her throat hurt. She knew they were hardly finished. They would continue with this torture until she died from the intense pain or went insane. Then when she was a babbling idiot, they would kill her. She should have listened to Severus.

A loud pop resounded in her ear. Severus appeared out of nowhere and shot a killing curse directly at Rodolphus Lestrange. Taken by surprise, the man crumpled to the floor in a lifeless heap. Lucius screamed in fury and pointed his wand at Severus.

“Drop… your… wand!” Severus demanded.

“You are in no position to make demands, Severus. I will kill her before you even have a chance to strike me!”

“Your wand is pointed at me, not her!”

Lucius debated what to do. If he turned his wand onto Trelawney, Severus would attack. He was better off dueling with his old friend, then taking care of Trelawney. He shot a hex at Severus, who deftly blocked it.

The battle began in earnest. Both men were very adept at dueling and neither was able to get the upper hand.

“Severus, just let me finish her. What is she to you anyway? I remember you complaining about what a pain she was.”

“She was a pain because of people like you who sought her life!”

The curses continued to fly. Severus ducked one that was aimed at his head and shot one straight at Lucius’ heart. Unfortunately, Lucius shielded himself just in time. The battle continued.

“She deserves death. I know you weren’t really on our side, but surely you can understand justice and revenge?”

“She has done nothing to merit such treatment! Give up, Lucius, and I will spare your life”

Lucius smiled evilly. “Sorry, my friend, I cannot let this go.”

They kept fighting. Severus singed Lucius’ hair at one point, but that was as close as either of them got to hurting one another. Finally Lucius frowned.

“I see we are at a stalemate,” he said as he flicked another curse at Severus.

“Give up, Lucius!” Severus cried.

“I will get my revenge! She may not die today, but soon she will be at my mercy, and there’s nothing you’ll be able to do about it.” Lucius cried.

He shot a curse at Severus and quickly shielded himself. Spinning around, Lucius Apparated away, choosing to fight this battle another day. Severus lowered his wand and stared at the empty space that had been Lucius Malfoy. Severus had hoped to end this today, but they would need to battle again, it would seem. He turned to Sybill and flicked his wand at her, releasing her bonds. She fell to the floor.

Severus went over to her and helped her sit up. Sybill weakly leaned against Severus, feeling him tense up at her nearness.

Severus waited a few minutes while Sybill gained her strength back before even speaking to her.

“Can you stand?” he demanded roughly.

Sybill nodded, and he helped her up. Putting his arm around her, he Apparated both of them back to her cottage.




A/N: Next up: Will love win out over anger?

Whew! That was a close one! You all knew she’d be all right, right? After all, it was in the cards, or the visions, or the crystal ball. Unfortunately, Lucius has escaped, so she’s not safe yet.

A big bow to Lilith Kayden for her beta work, and a big hug to those of you who are following this.



The Real Me by debjunk [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved