Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS-Centric

The Tower Affair by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Except for an OC, the characters here and the world in which they live are the creation and property of JK Rowling.

Katherine was invited to dinner at Hogwarts a couple of weeks before classes started. She arrived at the school gates as directed and was shown in by Filch and Mrs. Norris. She was directed to the Quidditch Pitch, and looked in distress at her high-heeled shoes.

There was nothing to do but transfigure the shoes into more serviceable boots. Katherine then strolled in relative comfort along the drive to where the path down to the stands began. As she approached she saw two wizards flying up, around, and back and forth. They almost collided, and then returned to the ground. At this point, Katherine was close enough to hear voices.

“Double or nothing, Lucius!”

“You owe me five thousand on that one, Severus...”

“It's a beautiful evening, Lucius, what else is there to do?”

Malfoy caught sight of Katherine. “Perhaps entertain your dinner guest?”

“It won't take but a minute or two. Draco, release the Snitch.”

Snape was up in the air as the Snitch was released, with Malfoy cursing and streaking up after him. They chased and circled each other until suddenly the Snitch was right in front of Katherine. It swirled around her until it flew straight into the middle of the pitch. The men, following close behind the small ball, flew near her and back into the pitch after it. Finally, the Snitch swerved again. Snape saw the change; Malfoy did not. The two wizards returned to the ground and put the Snitch away. They walked with Draco toward Katherine, arguing good-naturedly all the while.

“Ten thousand Galleons. I'll have them sent to you tomorrow,” Malfoy didn't look as upset as another man might.

“Actually, we can call it even if you would permit me to make a small raid on your wine cellar.”

“Oh, come now, Severus. I know you've been lusting after that particular vintage, but still...”

“One case is worth precisely ten thousand Galleons. You can send the first bottle along, tonight.”

Malfoy nodded and lowered his voice, thinking Katherine wouldn't hear. “Only if you promise to tell me how you fare with the witch...”

Snape laughed, and Malfoy took it as agreement. The men reached Katherine and greeted her. Snape offered his arm and led her to the castle as the Malfoys made their way to the gates. Katherine was led to the Great Hall and seated at a single table placed in the middle of the room.

“Aren't the other staff members eating, tonight?” Katherine asked.

“Those who are currently in residence prefer their rooms to my presence.”

They started their soup and discussed Quidditch until the main course was served. A Malfoy house-elf appeared, holding a bottle of elf-made wine. Snape smiled and summoned him closer. The elf opened the bottle and presented it before Disapparating.

“This is the ten thousand galleon wine?” asked Katherine.

“Along with the rest of the case,” her host answered.

“And I'm expected to...” Katherine twisted her lips as she let the rest of the sentence hang there.

“Not if you don't wish to do so.”

“It's a delicious wine.”

“Feel free to let that influence your decision.”

Katherine laughed. “What makes this wine so valuable?”

Severus described the Mediterranean vineyard where the grapes were grown and bottled. This particular mixture of that year's vintage was considered particularly good. From there they discussed potions and how Severus had made his way up the ranks of respected Potions Masters.

“Now you,” said Severus over coffee. “How did you become so well paid for what you do ?”

“I'm very good at my job,” Katherine answered. “Isn't that how you became so well paid?”

“Touché. It just seems odd that the wife of a Muggle barkeeper would train with Aurors in the United States.”

“You are quite well informed. Do you have a file on me?”

“I doubt it's as thick as the one you have on me. Was that wizard you spent so much time with last year in Tuscany really related to the Rothschild family?”

Katherine smiled. “That's the rumor.”

“Do you always get your wizard?”

“Or witch, as has occasionally been the case.”

“Do you think you will get me?” Severus looked at her with smoldering eyes.

“Oh, yes,” Katherine murmured, returning his gaze.

“The Ministry has exonerated me, you know.” Snape folded his arms.

“Have they? Did you explain what you did and why and that made it all better?”

He looked at her evenly. His eyes were open but might as well have been shut for all that Katherine could see in them. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, Katherine had serious doubts about the soul of Severus Snape.

She watched him while she traced the top of her wine glass. “Will you explain it to me?”

The slightest flicker of his eye indicated that he heard her as he continued to stare.

The remains of dinner disappeared.

His arms unfolded and as he waved his hand, a game board appeared. “I had thought to share a game of Wizard's chess.”

Still looking into his face, Katherine nodded. “I accept.”

“I prefer black.” Life returned to the obsidian eyes of Severus and dared Katherine to make a comment.

She accepted the dare. “Of course; I'm sure your life is complicated enough. If you're usually black, you should be black. I wouldn't want you to forget which side you're on.”

His lips twitched without comment as she used the standard opening. “I see neither of us feels particularly original this evening?” he said.

She pursed her own lips to keep from smiling and didn't answer. The players exchanged pawns and then a knight for a bishop. Their faces became concentrated as the game began in earnest. Katherine leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs. The slit in the side of her robe fell open, exposing a leg up to the lacy top of her stocking. Severus held his mouth shut by resting his chin on one hand, as the other caressed a rook.

More pieces found their way to the edges of the board as the game progressed. Severus started tapping his mouth with a finger as he pondered his queen. Katherine couldn't take her eyes from his lips and absently ran her tongue over her own. As Severus captured her queen, she couldn't take her eyes from his hand and nearly missed the opportunity to capture his queen.

Soon there were no more than a handful of pieces left on the board. Katherine looked down to see her pieces shaking their fists in annoyance. “Why, it's a stalemate!” She looked at the jeweled watch on her wrist. “I really must go.”

Her host rose and moved to hold her chair. “You may use the Floo.”

“And have you hear where I go? I don't think so.”

“Then allow me to accompany you to the gate.”

Katherine smiled. “If you insist.”

He offered her his arm and they went out of the castle and into the night. “You have an attractive lifestyle,” she observed.

“I have my small pleasures.”

“What happens when you have to give it all up?”

He smirked. “That will be as soon as the rest of the staff and students arrive.”

“Stalemate, indeed.” They reached the gate.

Katherine was about to slip through when a hand circled her wrist and pulled her around. She looked up. There was no stalemate in his kiss. He conquered her mouth with his own until she went weak at the knees. She refused to give in to the temptation to slide her hands up his shoulders and around his neck. Instead, she kissed back with the same fervor he used on her. After a long moment he lifted his face from hers and let go of her arm.

“Until the next time, then.” Katherine found herself on the other side of the gate, watching as he turned on his heel and walked swiftly back up the drive.




“He sounds so—urbane.” Tonks set out the tea tray her mother sent in. Katherine had been granted entry to Ted and Andromeda Tonks's house on Kingsley's say-so. It was one of the places Katherine and Kingsley had worked out to exchange information. Tonks would not be able to do much active work for a time, but she could help relay information and figure things out.

“Oh, he is,” Katherine agreed. “He's the perfect example of cultured gentleman.”

“That's not how I remember him from potions class. Then he was a real hard— ”

“I get the picture. A man in the circle of his friends and peers, however, is not going to behave in the same way as he does with students.”

“So he's Mister Society Wizard?”

“Not exactly. I think he's playing along with them because it suits him to fit in with them. Yet there are moments when I know I'm hitting a nerve. I'm just not sure what exactly I'm hitting. I still don't know whose side he's on and I know I'm missing something major in his background.”

“It sounds like he's hitting a nerve, too.”

Katherine leaned over the tea tray to hide her face. “My nerves have been gone for a very long time. Do you want me to freshen your cup?”

“I'd better not, with the baby and all.”

“How is that going?”

Tonks leaned back and sighed. She had not been pregnant for long, but it was taking its toll. “Who knew a person the size of a grape could be so exhausting? I just wish Remus—”

“I'm sure he'll be fine after he's had time to think about it. There's an awful lot going on right now, but he'll accept that this might be the best time, after all. At least he's not like—” Katherine waved off the thought she had.

“Like who?”

“No one...another husband I once knew about.”

“So did you find out anything new?”

Katherine shook her head. “He favors certain chess strategies? Honestly, I'm not sure. He kept me in the Great Hall.”

“That's something.”

“Yes. I suppose he didn't want me to rifle through his things, but I've already done that, so what could that matter? Why would he keep me out of the Headmaster's office?”

A new voice entered the conversation from the doorway. “The portraits.”

Tonks jumped up with a new energy. “Remus!”

Katherine sipped her tea and looked out a window as the two took a moment to greet each other. The exhaustion Tonks was feeling must have been partially due to not knowing where her husband was because suddenly her hair turned pink and her face took on a healthier tone. Lupin looked embarrassed but happy to be with his wife. They held each other for a few minutes and then Lupin and Tonks sat down.

“He doesn't want you talking to the portraits.”

“What are you talking about?”

Remus looked at Katherine. “I take it you were never sent to the Headmaster's office? As I mentioned, we Marauders spent more than our share of time there. The office has the portraits of all the former Headmasters and they must assist the current Headmaster in his duties. They retain whatever personality they had at the time of their deaths. There must be some reason why Snape doesn't want you talking to them. Dumbledore is in there, too, now.”

“If they're supposed to assist him, why would he worry?”

“Perhaps there's some disagreement among them concerning you. He could be working with us or against us and either way, perhaps he worried the portraits would tip you off.”

A/N: Thanks to Trickie Woo for beta reading!

The Tower Affair by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved