Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Severus's headache didn't feel any better in the morning, despite the Dreamless Sleep Potion he had taken. His headache was just the beginning of the migraine it would turn into in the following days. Two days later, Lily left Hogwarts to return home to be with her family. As much as Severus wished he could go with her, the permission hadn't been granted by Slughorn or McGonagall, and Severus certainly wasn't going to go begging to Dumbledore.

He resigned himself to teaching another duelling session that Monday in Lily's absence, and by the end of the hour, wondered what could have possibly possessed him to torture himself with such masochism. Feeling bone-weary, Severus knew he would need to check in on the Slytherin common room before retiring for the night. Unfortunately, it had become a daily routine to make multiple trips to said common room, as only two of the six prefects were actually doing anything to keep the peace, and even that wasn't much.

Before going to the hell hole, though, Severus decided a hot shower would help take off the edge. Thankful for his own bathroom, Severus allowed himself twenty minutes to indulge in the comfort of the warm, relaxing spray and the privacy and quiet found only in his own chambers.

After finishing his shower, Severus changed into some comfortable clothes and went for the door. Gazing one last time at his room before heading out, he released a long sigh and shook his head.

Turning the knob, he thought, Best to just get this other with.

Severus proceeded down the corridor, taking a few turns, and coming to the stairs. He took them at a slower than usual pace, not desiring to make his nightly call in the common room. He thought Slughorn to be a horrible head of house. The man should have been doing this, not him. Slughorn, of course, was simply too wrapped up in his over-glorified Slug Club and in students from all houses whom he thought worthy of his attention.

I may not have been popular with the other houses when I was a teacher, but at least my house respected me. I was a better head of house than Slughorn ever was, Severus thought bitterly.

Slughorn, after all, had been head of Slytherin way back when Tom Riddle had been a student, and he had been just as taken with the boy's charm as many others.

Severus finally reached his destination. He warily gave the password and entered the Slytherin common room. The sight that was occurring in front of him couldn't have been worse. Well, it could have, but Severus didn't want to think down such a dark path.

Roger Mulciber had his wand out, and it was pointed directly at Rose Clearwater, who was clutching her wand, trembling. From behind Mulciber, a few others had their wands out as well, although not pointed at anyone, but ready to attack at any moment. Emily Porter stood shaking next to her friend, and several more students stood a little way behind the two girls, afraid to act.

Before Severus could intervene, Mulciber shouted, "Incendio!" Flames burst from his wand and were about to hit poor Rose before she could do anything, but Severus reacted quickly, shouting, "Protego!" and aiming his wand at Rose.

The shield protected Rose from the fiery blast, which exploded upon contact, causing small bits of flame to hit others, sending screams echoing through the room, but luckily the little flames went out immediately and caused no damage.

Suddenly seeing Severus standing there near the doorway, Mulciber turned his attention to him, rage upon his features. The fool tried to aim his wand at Severus, then changed his mind and turned back to Rose. The incantation, "Cruc-", was upon his lips, but Severus flicked his wand, disarming the bastard. Another fluid motion and Mulciber was Stunned.

"Who's next?" Severus challenged Mulciber's group.

With Severus present, others who had been standing in fear momentarily ago behind Rose and Emily were bolstered and raised their wands at Mulciber's small army. Recovered, Rose joined them in defending what was right.

The Slytherins who had decided to follow their ring leader found themselves at at loss without said leader. Severus noticed Masterson was among the students who were with Mulciber, which didn't surprise him in the least.

"That's what I thought," Severus sneered. "Well, we'll see what the headmaster has to say about this."

Stepping farther into the room, Severus paused, turning to Rose and asking softly, "Are you all right?"

"Yes," she replied. "Thank you, Severus."

Nodding curtly, Severus turned his attention back to Mulciber's group. "Go back to your dormitories. You can clearly see you're outnumbered, so should you be so foolish as to try something like your dunderhead mate here, you'll be joining him. As for him," Severus continued, glaring down at Mulciber's frozen body and kicking him in the shin for good measure, "he's coming with me."

Severus levitated the younger Mulciber toward the door. The troublemakers were busy sending glares toward Severus and many others, but they reluctantly obeyed, for now, and left the common room.

"What happened, anyway?" Severus asked Rose.

"Rose was talking about you and how much she admires what you stand for," Emily explained. "Mulciber overheard it and said something rude."

"I asked him to take it back," Rose shot in, finding her courage. "He didn't, and then he said he was going to teach me a lesson. That's when you walked in."

"Hmm, you had better come with me, Rose," Severus said. "The headmaster needs to know the full details. This has gotten far too out of hand. You do realize he almost used an Unforgivable on you?"

Rose nodded meekly. "Yes," she said in a small voice.

"Come on," Severus stated firmly.

Rose glanced back at Emily as she left the common room, following Severus, who levitated Mulciber's unconscious body out in front of him. They walked down the corridors in silence, every footstep echoing coldly off the stone floor and walls. In five minutes' time, they arrived at the headmaster's office. Severus impatiently barked the password, and the door opened to emit them. Once at the top of the staircase, Severus pounded on the door.

A second later, the open was opened, and Dumbledore gazed upon the sight in front of him.

"My word, Severus," Dumbledore said, taking notice of Mulciber. "What in Merlin's good name has happened?"

"I'll tell you what's happened, Headmaster," Severus replied roughly, releasing Mulciber from the levitation and letting him fall unceremoniously to the floor. "This piece of trash is following in his dear older brother's footsteps. Miss Clearwater can explain further."

Dumbledore frowned at Severus's treatment of Mulciber's body, but then gazed patiently upon Rose. "Very well, Miss Clearwater," the headmaster intoned. "What happened?"

Rose proceeded to explain what she had shared with Severus minutes ago, but didn't mention the attempted use of the Cruciatus Curse.

Dumbledore nodded. "And I trust any further attacks have been prevented?"

"Yes," Severus stated tersely. "Thankfully there are plenty of students in Slytherin who do not agree with Roger Mulciber, and they outnumber the ones who think it's perfectly all right to attack another student. Mulciber nearly employed the Cruciatus Curse on Miss Clearwater. I do think that warrants expulsion."

"That is quite an accusation," Dumbledore pointed out sternly. "And you can confirm this, Miss Clearwater?"

Severus frowned. Apparently Dumbledore didn't take him at his word any longer.

"Of course," Rose stated, surprised as well that Dumbledore didn't seem to believe Severus. "Severus has been wonderful for Slytherin," she asserted. "He protected me."

"All right," Dumbledore acquiesced, just when Severus was about to demand if he needed to retrieve his memory and show it to the disbelieving old wizard.

"You may return to your dormitory, Miss Clearwater, if you are all right," Dumbledore instructed her.

Rose nodded, casting Severus a concerned look, and left the office.

"You may as well take a seat, Severus," Dumbledore said heavily.

Severus continued to stand. "I'm fine how I am."

"Have it your way," Dumbledore sighed. "I suppose I will need to contact the governors about this incident. Never had I imagined a third year boy attacking another student in such a way." He shook his head, seeming very old all of a sudden.

"What did you need me for?" Severus questioned bluntly. "You have Mulciber."

"Yes, yes, I realize that, Severus," Dumbledore stated. "I must speak with you, however. I trust news of my having spoken with Miss Evans got back to you?"

"Yes," Severus ground out, his teeth clenched, wondering why Dumbledore was insisting on tormenting him with incessant questions.

"I am also quite aware that you have been continuing the duelling sessions that you started with Peter Pettigrew a few months ago," Dumbledore said.

Severus groaned. "And?" he queried impatiently.

"You do realize, Severus, that you have been given a lot of freedom to do as you see fit. You organized a student group which has not been approved by any member of the staff. Normally, such behavior would be looked upon as suspicious and out of line. You would be subject to several weeks' worth of detention and the severe removal of house points-"

"Then put me in detention; remove bloody house points," Severus cut in angrily.

Dumbledore held up his hand to still the young man. "No, Severus, I do not wish to do either of those things, for you see, while organizing such a student group would normally result in such consequences, I do not believe I can sit here and punish you for doing something that was done with the noblest of intentions."

"How did you know about the sessions continuing?" Severus questioned. "You refused to give me a straight answer last time. I think I deserve to know at least that much."

"Ah, that is simple," Dumbledore explained. "While you may not like it, I had asked a certain student to be my ears and eyes for me."

"Who?" Severus asked, furrowing his brow.

"James Potter."

"What?!" Severus barked. "You're telling me that Potter has been your little spy all this time?" Utterly incensed, Severus began pacing the room, wishing he could break some of Dumbledore's trinkets.

"Calm down, Severus," Dumbledore said mildly. "It was merely a precaution I felt needed to be taken. When you first began tutoring Peter Pettigrew, it seemed out of the norm for you. James Potter is... was Peter's friend. I was concerned about you, and while I had good reason to think your intentions were good, I had to be sure."

"I should have never started those stupid meetings in the first place," Severus spat bitterly. "Peter Pettigrew wound up dead because of my intervention. I wouldn't have started them again had I not be asked by others."

"Severus," Dumbledore implored gently, "listen to me. Now, first, I want you to look at me."

Severus refused and kept his eyes stoically planted on the floor. His breathing was shallow and rapid, and with every breath, he felt his walls crumbling. He was so worn out... so very tired. His shoulders slumped in defeat.

"Please don't try to probe my mind," Severus almost whispered. "At least grant me some dignity."

"I will not invade your mind, Severus," Dumbledore said. "I promise."

So wary of fighting Dumbledore any longer, Severus caved and lifted his eyes. Black met blue, and as Dumbledore said he would, he didn't try to employ Legilimency upon Severus.

"Good," Dumbledore murmured delicately. "Severus, I am sorry if I have done anything to hurt you. I should have paid more attention to you in your younger years and listened when you said Sirius Black meant you real harm two years ago. I admit my shortcomings to you. I am sorry, Severus. I am so glad you have had Lily Evans in your life, though. You have done a miraculous thing in turning your life around. It's just that... your change seemed so abrupt. That was what concerned me, and while I still don't know how you have managed feats such as Occlumency and flying, I do know that you are a good person. I believe you ought to keep the duelling club going. You are giving these students more to hope for than I ever could. My role in this war has been for the greater good, and that is a cold position to take. I see everything from a distance, but not you, Severus. You see people closely, and this war is a very personal matter to you. That much I can tell without having to even ask."

A part of Severus wanted to fight the words he was hearing from Dumbledore, but the larger part of him felt exposed and vulnerable. His thoughts from a few weeks ago of trying to intimidate Dumbledore or prove himself somehow better than the aged wizard dissipated. He thought of Lily's mother, who might be dying, and of Lily being with her family at this very moment. Life was too precious to be wasted on vengeance and bitterness. He had done too much of that in his past existence. That didn't mean he would be foolish and give his trust openly, but Severus believed Dumbledore's words to be sincere.

"All right," Severus said softly. "Apology accepted."

x x x x x

On February 1, Lily returned to Hogwarts. Ever since Severus's talk with Dumbledore, things had run more smoothly in the Slytherin common room. Roger Mulciber had been expelled for attempting to use the Cruciatus Curse on another student, which seemed to cow the others who were in his camp for the time being. Knowing it was only a matter of time before problems arose again, Severus revelled in the days of peace he currently had. Seeing Lily again would be welcoming, but he worried what news she would bring of her mother.

That evening, with nowhere else private to go, the two went to their broom closet.

"I'm glad you're back," Severus said, hugging her. He didn't let go right away, just in case she needed his support.

Lily sighed into his chest. "I'm happy to see you, too, Sev, but... it was hard to leave home. I feel so guilty coming back to school, knowing that Mum is going to be starting chemo soon, and I won't be there."

Giving her a squeeze, Severus murmured, "I know." He kissed the top of her head and smoothed her hair. "I trust the surgery went well?"

"Yes, the good news is that they think they got all the cancer, but they're doing the chemo to be sure. Next time I see Mum, it'll be Easter, and by then, who knows what state she'll be in..."

"Remember, Lily, your mum is strong, and even though you won't physically be there, you'll be there in spirit. She knows you love her," Severus tried to reassure her.

"Sev?" Lily whispered.

"Yes?"

"When I'm not strong, can you be strong for me?"

"You don't even have to ask, Lily," Severus said gently. "That goes without saying, but yes, for the record, I will do my best."

"Thank you." There was a pause, then she murmured, "What happened while I was gone?"

It was Severus's turn to sigh. He explained in detail the incident in the Slytherin common room and his discussion with Dumbledore.

"I'm glad he was expelled," Lily stated harshly. "What a horrible thing to do. And Dumbledore... I'm relieved he's truly gracious toward you. I always thought he had good intentions, but my faith in him was tested when I had to talk with him. I guess he's just doing the best he can in the given circumstances."

"Perhaps," Severus replied, not completely convinced. While he had come to an understanding with Dumbledore, he still couldn't bring himself to trust him fully. There was too much of a history that stated otherwise.

x x x x x

As February passed, Lily kept in regular contact with her mother through letters. She could tell from the tone of the letters that her mum was putting forth a good front, and while Violet Evans didn't complain about the pain and fatigue she was experiencing as a result of the chemo, Lily knew her mum had to be suffering.

Severus, thinking ahead for his future career, decided to start researching what he could on magic being used to heal diseases. The literature in the library was out of date and therefore didn't prove very helpful when it came to matters like cancer, so Severus subscribed to a couple of publications that were released biweekly on the latest findings in magical research. He was disappointed. His fears were confirmed: There was no mention of magic being used to cure or help cancer.

He would have to turn to other avenues, which involved reading Muggle literature on such things, but nothing like that was available at Hogwarts, and he knew he would have a hard time of it trying to get connections to Muggle publications on scientific research. He figured he might make some arrangements through Lily's parents. Frustrated, Severus sought out Madam Pomfrey, who, although delighted he would be following the career path to becoming a Healer, had nothing more to say on the subject of why magic wasn't being investigated further to cure cancer and other such diseases.

"It's a shame, really," she said sadly, shaking her head.

A shame, indeed, Severus thought.

Without success in that venue, Severus poured himself into training the students in duelling. They had come a long way since the beginning of the year.

March eventually came, and with it, milder weather and a lot of rain. Too many dreary days of being confined to the castle was making Severus stir-crazy, and while he had Lily and the success with the duelling club, he was growing tired of being stuck at Hogwarts. He yearned for the school year to be over.

In Slytherin, Severus caught some of the suspicious students, Masterson and even Regulus, whispering amongst themselves on occasion when he entered the common room to check on the students. They would cast him a glare or two and turn and leave before Severus could confront them. He would try to keep a close watch on them, but trying to keep peace was like trying to keep a brush fire under control. It only took a small spark to ignite an entire forest.

Another month passed, and suspicions only grew, and Mrs. Evans's condition seemed to worsen, based on what Lily knew. It was with growing foreboding that Severus faced April.

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved