Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


November quickly progressed into December, followed shortly by the first snowfall of the season. The twelve traditional evergreens lined the Great Hall, and tinsel and bows decorated the halls as the mood seemed to change festive overnight. The unfortunate reality was, however, that the students were confined to roaming the corridors, staying in their common rooms, spending time in the courtyard, or not far from the castle outside. The usual visit to Hogsmeade when students would have made their holiday purchases would not be happening this year, but with anticipation of going home to see their families after nearly four months, students from every house were finding it more difficult to concentrate during class, much to their teachers' dismay and frustration.

Severus and Lily continued to lead the duelling lessons every Monday evening in the abandoned classroom, and when every session would end, Severus felt a renewed sense of worth. Instead of just pretending to be a student once again, he knew he was taking an active part in the war, and despite what he still saw as a failing with Peter Pettigrew, he was determined not to give up. James and Sirius was prone to misbehavior, but when the others present didn't find their antics humorous, they were taken down a peg or two, sobered into learning whatever spell was being taught that day. More importantly, Severus was pleased with the overall progress he was seeing in the students.

However, the tension in Slytherin house continued to gain momentum. There were minor outbursts between various students, but nothing major. Severus wasn't fooled, though. Mulciber or any of his followers could at any moment choose to start trouble.

With the way daily life had settled into a fairly comfortable routine, Severus's worries about the war were suppressed, although still there. He chose not to allow such thoughts to consume him. There were so many other things worth living for, and as Christmas approached, he wanted to be able to give Lily something special. He needed to return to the shop in Hogsmeade, but without the visits, the only way Severus and Lily could get to the place would be by breaking the rules... unless school wasn't in session.

One day after classes in mid-December, Severus approached Lily about this very problem.

"I have an idea," he said, "and wanted your input, Lily."

"All right," Lily replied, curious to know what it was.

"Since we can't go to Hogsmeade, and I really want you to have the chance to pick out your ring," Severus explained, a smile creeping onto his face, "I thought we could stay an extra day at Hogwarts and go then. School wouldn't be in session, and from Hogsmeade, we can Apparate home. There's really no need to take the train anymore."

Lily considered this. "You don't think we'll get in trouble? I mean, I know school won't be in session, but if we stay an extra day, won't we have to sign our names as some of the students wishing to stay for the holiday? And if that's the case, won't we still get in trouble?"

Lily liked Severus's idea, but she wasn't normally one to break school rules, and unlike Severus who was actually much older than school age and therefore didn't feel it necessary to follow the rules all the time, Lily was still a student.

"You do want to get a chance to pick out the ring, don't you, Lily?" Severus asked, feeling a bit put out.

"Of course I do!" Lily returned hastily, reaching for Severus's hand with her own. "But why don't we just... well," Lily paused, then a knowing look dawned in her eyes. "The train leaves from Hogsmeade. Why don't we just go with the other students on the day they're scheduled to depart, and we won't get on the train?"

"That would work," Severus conceded, relieved and glad she had agreed.


x x x x x


As the days dwindled down to their final day at Hogwarts before returning home for Christmas, Severus felt the excitement returning. Lily would finally have the opportunity to choose a ring. As happy as he was about this, though, Severus felt he wanted - no, needed - to do something more for Lily. In a few months, they would no longer be at Hogwarts, and while Severus looked forward to the freedom ahead, Hogwarts had still been an important part of his life, for both good and ill.

An idea came to him, and with only three days remaining, Severus knew he needed to act fast. The sun would be setting before dinner, and Severus wanted to use the remaining amount of daylight left. He whiled away through classes that day, growing anxious and impatient. He didn't share a single class with Lily, so he wouldn't get a chance to really talk to her until that afternoon, but at lunch, he did tell her to be sure to meet him in the Entrance Hall right after classes and to wear her coat.

Four o'clock finally arrived, and Severus wasted no time in returning his books to his room and grabbing his coat, hat, and gloves. He was already clad in his boots and wearing an extra thick robe. It wouldn't do to freeze while trying to give Lily a surprise she would hopefully love and never forget.

As he made his way through the corridors, Severus slipped on his coat, buttoning it haphazardly. He pulled the hat snuggly over his head, pushing errant strands of hair away from his face. He was just putting on his gloves as he entered the Entrance Hall, pleased to find Lily already present. She was wearing her coat and had earmuffs on instead of a hat, leaving her lovely, long hair free to flow.

"So, what do you have up your sleeve, Sev?" Lily inquired as he took her hand and led her toward the door.

"Oh, you'll see," Severus replied nonchalantly, smirking.

"Hmm, I'm not sure I like the tone of your voice. Something tells me you're up to no good," Lily teased.

They stepped outside into the blistery cold, the wind whipping around them, sending snow squalls adrift.

"Surely you weren't planning on taking a stroll around the lake, were you?" Lily asked, not sounding too excited at the prospect.

"Of course not," Severus said. "I wouldn't put you through that. Besides, the snow must be close to a foot deep."

"Then, uh... Sev, what's going on?" Lily questioned, now beginning to sound unsure.

"You trust me," Severus stated, "so therefore, just go with it. I'd never do anything to make you uncomfortable. Now, hold tightly to my hand and run with me."

The area in front of the school where the path led toward the gates was clear, so they began sprinting down it, Lily having no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it. She suddenly felt her feet lifting off the ground and gasped, trying to pull herself back to the earth, but Severus held fast to her hand and then pulled her to him, wrapping his arms securely around her waist.

"Just relax," he intoned into her ear. "You're going to be fine."

For a second, Lily fought the urge to pull herself back to the ground, but from behind her, Severus was holding her, bringing her farther up into the frigid air. They continued to gain altitude, until they were maybe fifty feet above the snow-covered earth.

"We- we're flying!" Lily exclaimed, unable to believe what she was experiencing. "And without a broom!"

Severus laughed freely. "Yes, Lily, we are flying. See why I didn't tell you? To spoil the surprise would have eliminated the fun."

"This is... wow!" Lily cried. "I knew you could fly, but you're doing it holding me. How did you know you could?"

"I practiced holding things as I flew," Severus stated. "I don't need to use my arms. It's quite like flying on a broom, only without a broom."

"Amazing," Lily breathed.

They enjoyed the sights of the frozen lake, the white blanket of snow, and the castle a little way off in the distance for the next twenty minutes, and as the sun started to set, they were graced with the most spectacular sight of all. The cold became too much to bear at one point, though, so Severus gingerly lowered them to the ground.

Even though her teeth were chattering, Lily remarked, "Thanks, Sev. That was great." She fixed him with a smile and kissed him.

Whether his cheeks were red from the cold, from her affections, or from both, Severus didn't know, but he returned the smile and started the trek back toward the castle. "I'm glad you liked it, Lily."

"I more than liked it," Lily affirmed.

"All right, you loved it."

"That I did."

While their short flight around the grounds had been wonderful, both Severus and Lily were grateful to be back inside. The warmth penetrated every part of them the moment they stepped back into the school.

"Thanks, Sev," Lily said sweetly to him before they went their separate ways.


x x x x x


The last day of school finally arrived, and Severus and Lily were packed and ready to go. They departed the school with the majority of the other students, taking the carriages back to the Hogsmeade station. Upon stepping off, however, Severus and Lily disappeared in the masses, conveniently unnoticed in the rush of excitement from the crowd to return home for Christmas.

Once they were far enough away, they quickly shrank their bags and stowed them in their pockets. They wasted no time in heading for the jewelry store.

Lily giggled. "I can't believe we're actually doing this. Do you think anyone will notice?"

"Hopefully not, but it wouldn't surprise me if Potter, being nosy like he is, goes looking for you on the train and can't find you," Severus said with a snort, but he was in too good of a mood to give a care as to what James might try.

Despite students no longer being allowed to visit Hogsmeade, there were still many people lining the streets. With only a few shopping days left before Christmas, people were hoping to find that special something for their loved one.

As Severus and Lily made their way down the main street, Severus tried not to think about their last trip here. When they eventually passed the alley where Peter's body had been found, a shudder went through Severus, and Lily blinked back tears.

"It's hard not to think about it, huh?" she asked.

Nodding, Severus replied, "Yes. It's strange being back here, but this is meant to be a good day, not like that day. Well, that day was going well until..."

Severus trailed off, not wishing to vocalize the tragedy. They came upon Gina's Jewelers. With a squeeze of Lily's hand, Severus stated, "We're here. Let's go in, and you can finally pick out the perfect diamond." Severus mustered a smile, the mixture of feelings causing both ecstatic anticipation and lingering sadness.

They entered the small shop, and the lady behind the counter immediately recognized them. She warmly greeted them, inviting Lily to peruse the selection of rings and find what was perfect for her.

Lily stepped toward the counter and gazed down upon probably a hundred different rings.

"How can I decide?" she asked. "They're all so beautiful. Sev, maybe you can pick one for me?"

"No, Lily, you pick," Severus urged. "It has to be your decision."

Lily tried on a few different cuts, and she finally settled for a traditional gold band with a one karat round diamond in the center. It was simple, but elegant.

"I think this is the one," Lily affirmed, examining the ring in the light as she held her hand up. "What do you think, Sev?"

"It's lovely," Severus said gently. He leaned in a kissed her. "And now it's yours."

Lily wanted to ask how he could afford it, but didn't think it appropriate in a time like this. That would ruin the romantic moment, although not as terribly as the attack on the village had last time.

"We'll take it," Severus told the lady behind the counter. "I trust you still have the information you need as per our arrangement?"

The lady nodded her consent.

"It's taken care of," Severus asserted, now taking Lily's bejeweled hand in his own. "Are you ready to go home?"

Lily stared down at the ring and swallowed. "We'll have to tell my parents," she suddenly realized.

Severus smiled slightly, the butterflies of nerves awakening in his stomach. "Yeah, I guess we'll have to."

"Let's go," Lily said.

Hand-in-hand, they left the jewelry shop and Apparated to Spinner's End.



The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved