Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


While Lily was with Severus, the Marauders were back in the Gryffindor common room after dinner. The mood was somber between the three friends, but Sirius's mood had improved.

"You really should've come today, Padfoot," James was saying for the third time that day.

"I know; I know," Sirius said, annoyed. "How many times are you gonna pound it into my head, Prongs?"

"Sorry," James replied, half-smiling. The smile faded, and he said, "But I'm glad to see you're better than you were this morning and the past couple of days. We were worried about you, mate."

"You could've talked to us more, Sirius," Remus stated seriously.

Sirius nodded. "I was acting like a git, I know, but you guys don't understand what it's like in my family. I guess that's really painted my view of Slytherins in a bad way... not that I think they're suddenly trustworthy. I still don't like Snape, but what I heard today from him wasn't what I expected."

"Snape's not so bad," Remus pointed out, "as I tried to tell you, but you didn't want to hear it. Anyway, enough about Snape. What do we do now? I mean, without Wormtail?"

James and Sirius didn't know how to answer that question.

"What d'you mean, Moony?" James asked.

"I don't even really know," Remus murmured. "It's just so... weird without him around. I guess it hasn't been long enough to really sink in, you know?"

James and Sirius both nodded sadly.

"I think it's important that the three of us promise to be friends for life," Sirius suddenly stated.

James and Remus were stunned by how grave that statement was. Sirius usually spent so much time joking around, or lately, being bitter, that hearing a serious and compassionate statement from him was shocking. After losing one of their own, though, they could understand his assertion.

"Of course, mate," James agreed in earnest. "You know I wouldn't have it any other way." He smiled and clapped his friend on the back.

Remus gave a firm nod and squeezed Sirius's arm briefly.

"I'm sorry I almost lost you two," Sirius said softly. "Maybe not to death, but still... the way I was acting, I would've driven you away."

"Not that easily," Remus joked.

"Yeah, we would've made that pretty difficult," James teased.

Sirius laughed for the first time in days.


x x x x x


After spending some time with Lily that evening, Severus figured it best he finally talk with the headmaster. Putting the inevitable conversation off another day wouldn't help the headaches Severus kept getting over thinking about Roger Mulciber and his friends, and worse, it certainly wouldn't help the problems growing more serious by the day in Slytherin.

Severus uttered the password to the gargoyle guarding the entrance to the headmaster's office, glad he was Head Boy and knew said password. He stepped onto the revolving staircase and allowed it to lead him to the top, where the door to Dumbledore's office waited for him to knock on it. Severus took a deep breath and readied himself for what he knew wasn't going to be an easy or pleasant conversation. He rapped on the door.

The echoes reverberated off the walls in the small space in which Severus was confined. From inside his office, Dumbledore heard the knock loud and clear. Curious as to who might be requesting an audience with him at the ever-growing late hour, Dumbledore beckoned the door open with a mere wave of the hand. When he saw Severus standing there, a smile broke onto the aged face.

"Why, good evening, Severus," Dumbledore greeted him amiably. "Do come in, my boy. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

As Severus stepped into the room, he scowled at Dumbledore's nauseatingly overboard salutation. Of course, Severus was used to Dumbledore's theatrics, mostly from his other life as a professor, but he had a feeling this wouldn't be the last time he would have to bear witness to Dumbledore's merriment and twinkling in this lifetime.

"I wouldn't exactly call it a pleasure," Severus muttered, sitting in his usual spot. "What I wish to discuss with you isn't anywhere near pleasurable."

"Ah," Dumbledore said, finally restraining himself some. The old wizard took the seat behind the desk. "Can I get you something to drink? Tea, perhaps? Do you care for a sherbet lemon, Severus?"

Severus glared at the jar of sweets on the headmaster's desk as Dumbledore pointed toward them. "No, thank you," Severus said with apparent distaste, more because Dumbledore seemed overzealous to see him. Suspicion arousing inside him, Severus asked, "Did you expect my visit, sir?"

"How might I know you would come tonight, Severus?" Dumbledore posed, trying to sound innocent, but Severus wasn't buying it for a minute. Sobering, Dumbledore continued, "However, due to recent events, let's just say I am not surprised you decided to come talk with me. You haven't exactly been vocal with me as of late, but I knew the time would ripen when you would wish to talk with me. First I must ask, however, why didn't you attend the funeral today?"

"Why would I?" Severus countered.

"Considering all that has happened, I thought it might have brought you some closure, some sort of solace, Severus," Dumbledore explained. "It was a nice remembrance of Peter's life. You helped him in his final days. Having spent time with him, I assumed you had gotten to know him better. You did bring him back to Hogwarts... I simply thought you would have attended after doing so much for the poor boy."

"I don't like funerals," Severus mumbled. "Besides... he wasn't my friend."

"He could have been given more time, I believe."

Severus shrugged, not caring to discuss Peter. Peter was gone. He wished to talk about the circumstances and people responsible for Peter's death. When Severus didn't say anything more, Dumbledore sighed and asked, "Well, go on, Severus. What is it you wanted to talk with me about?"

"When I told you three days ago that Mulciber, the one who had been expelled last year, was responsible for Peter Pettigrew's death and for attacking Remus Lupin, I neglected to inform you that I believe Roger Mulciber is also responsible for part of what happened," Severus explained.

"And what makes you believe this, Severus?" Dumbledore asked curiously.

Severus wondered how Dumbledore could talk about such a grave matter as if they were merely discussing the weather. Irritated, Severus leaned forward in his chair and spread his arms apart. "This is not something to be taken lightly, sir," he stated.

"I am quite aware of that," Dumbledore replied, only sounding slightly more serious.

Losing his temper, Severus hit the arm of the chair and stood. "Damn it, Dumbledore! Why don't you just give me some straight answers to my questions? When I asked how you knew I had been training Peter, you gave me some elusive nonsense about simply knowing because you are the headmaster. I demand you listen to my concerns!"

Dumbledore gave Severus a moment to finish his tirade. "I trust you have gotten that off your chest now?" Dumbledore inquired, now gazing at Severus sternly.

Severus groaned and slunk back into his chair. "Roger Mulciber may only be a third year," Severus continued, trying to remain calm, "but he is still a threat. I caught him threatening Peter once in the owlery, but I know he did it on more than one occasion. I believe Roger Mulciber has been in contact with Michael Mulciber, hence making Peter a target."

Dumbledore was stroking his beard thoughtfully. "And what would you have me do, Severus? I can give him detentions, but I can't warrant expelling him. He hasn't done anything as serious as what Michael Mulciber did to you last year in Hogsmeade."

"But he's an accomplice!" Severus shouted, his anger flaring again. "He's basically taken on the role his big brother had when he was here. He's the ring leader of a whole group of You-Know-Who's supporters. You can't let people like him stay at Hogwarts!"

"'People like him?'" Dumbledore inquired softly. "Severus, correct me if I am mistaken, but weren't you once following the same path not so long ago? Should I have thrown you out of the school just because of what you believed... or worse, what I thought you believed? If I had done so, chances are you would have been much worse off. You have proven that not everyone will stay on the same path. You chose to do what was right, and you continue to do so. Why do you think I made you Head Boy this year?" Dumbledore paused, then continued, "Because you are just the example Slytherin house so desperately needs."

Severus felt his blood boiling. He felt used by Dumbledore all over again. He felt like the headmaster's little pawn on the chess board, placed just so to do the master's bidding.

"A good example?" Severus sneered. "A role model?" He snorted, then sobered. "I am not going to be your plaything, your- your puppet, Dumbledore."

Dumbledore's eyes were no longer twinkling. Instead, they had taken on a piercing, hard edge. Severus could feel the old man trying to probe his mind, but he immediately erected his mental barriers and turned his head.

"Severus," Dumbledore stated firmly, "I am most curious to know how you have become so adept at Occlumency... and not just that... but at dueling, at knowing how to fly... something even I have never mastered. You are seventeen years old. I am already aware of your rare talent to invent curses and cures. Your skill at Potions and Defense rivals even that of grown wizards. You are a powerful wizard, Severus. Why wouldn't I want to have you on my side? There is a war on the horizon, and you have made a very powerful stance. Your statement is clear. You oppose everything Voldemort stands for, and for that, you are much more than some puppet or pawn, even though you would accuse me of placing you in that position."

Severus knew Dumbledore would continue in a moment. Resuming, Dumbledore said, "You have made your own choices all along, Severus. Believe what you want of me, but as I told you, you are a breath of fresh air to your house. They admire you."

"You are purposefully evading my original question, sir," Severus said stoically, not biting into the praise Dumbledore was trying to feed him. "What are you going to do about Roger Mulciber and his friends?"

"You have been doing a fine job of keeping them in line," Dumbledore replied wearily. "You may continue to inform me and the other professors, as necessary, if you feel further action must be taken, but until he does something like attack another student with the Cruciatus curse, I cannot do much but place him in detention, which I will have done, and remove house points."

"That's rubbish!" Severus exclaimed, incensed. "I haven't been able to 'keep them in line,' as you say! If I had done, do you think Peter Pettigrew would be dead now? You're the bloody headmaster! If I were headmaster, I wouldn't stand for this kind of thing! I would expel any student who supports You-Know-Who!"

Severus thought of his year as headmaster, of how dark and horrible those times had been, of how he had wished beyond anything to be able to do what he truly wanted... to show that he had hated Voldemort and hadn't wanted to kill Dumbledore. He had loathed every moment he had spent imprisoned in this very office that year. Death, in a way, had been a sweet release.

"But you are not the headmaster, young man!" Dumbledore suddenly thundered, standing behind the desk.

Taken aback by this display of power, and frightened, realizing anew why Dumbledore was feared, Severus recoiled in his chair, feeling like a little kid.

"I don't know what has gotten in your mind, which you don't want the rest of the world to see, that makes you think you have the right to tell me how to run my school, but you will be corrected, Severus," Dumbledore stated, sitting down. His voice was cold, detached.

Severus regained his composure and gazed back at the commanding wizard across from him. He had rarely seen Dumbledore's fury, especially directed at him, but never before had he challenged the headmaster like this. Realization struck Severus as to why Dumbledore had reacted the way he had. Dumbledore felt threatened by Severus. Severus, being a skillful, powerful, and intelligent in his own right at a young age scared the old man across from him.

Suddenly, Severus knew he had an advantage over Dumbledore, and he inwardly smiled in triumph. He hated feeling the constant loser in life... first with his father, then the Marauders, then Voldemort, then Dumbledore... always having to serve someone else's wishes, those who wanted to use him for their own means. The difference with Lily was that Severus loved her, and because of that, he was willing to surrender everything for her. He would serve out of love, but not out of fear.

Severus quietly watched Dumbledore for any small hint he was fearful of him. He did not love his man in front of him, and Severus knew he had first served him because of his true loyalty to Lily. In this life, Severus decided he was going to be his own master.

"Very well," Severus said curtly, not wishing to argue further. He didn't need to have the last word. He was satisfied inside.

Severus stood and left the headmaster's office. Although still aggravated at Dumbledore's insolence for not listening to him, Severus's newfound feeling of having an advantage that Dumbledore didn't possess made up for it. He returned to his room, intent on getting a good night's sleep. After the past three days, he would need it to face whatever was coming.

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved