Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Challenge Fics > Potter Place Challenges

The Real Me by debjunk [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter 3: A Conversation

A couple days after her miraculous transformation, Sybill sat in her room, a magazine on her lap, reading about the latest discoveries in card reading. Things were going quite well. The faculty was all being very nice to her. She actually was showing up for meals, too. She found that now that everyone wasn’t avoiding speaking with her, she had some lively discussions with her colleagues.

The only problem was that she found herself falling into old habits. There had been one thing she liked about her past life; it had been the ability to say whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. She found that that had bled into her new life, making it hard for her to hold her tongue.

It was dinner time in the Great Hall. Everyone was chatting quietly. Madam Hooch was telling Sybill about the Ministry’s plan to fund extra money to the sports department for new brooms for each house. Sybill was listening intently. Suddenly, her eyes widened.

“Rolanda, you really should change those contacts. Those golden eyes are quite disturbing. I much prefer your clear blue ones.”

Rolanda looked startled for a moment, before she glared at Sybill. Rising from the table, she threw her napkin on her plate and stalked off. Sybill watched her go sadly, vowing to apologize after dinner.

~~~~~~~~~

A few days later, she was conversing with Professor Vector.

“I swear,” Vector complained. “You have to spoon feed those children everything. They’ll come back next year and still have no desire to be prepared for the future.”

Sybill nodded.

“They have no desire to find anything out for themselves. They want the answers handed to them on a plate!”

Sybill looked at Vector for a moment. “Well, Septima, it seems that you do some of that yourself, don’t you?”

“Whatever do you mean?” Vector cried indignantly.

“Your teacher’s text has all the answers in it. I know you like to pretend that it all comes off the top of your head, but, seriously, no one could memorize all of that information without an answer key!”

The entire table looked to Sinistra as she turned purple with mortification. Sybill blushed as she realized she’d done it again.

~~~~~~~~~

“Filius, how is that lovely woman you’ve been seeing?” Sybill asked.

Professor Flitwick blushed and looked down at his plate.

Pomona Sprout doubled around in excitement. “You’re seeing someone?”

Minerva glanced his way. “Who is she?”

“How long has this been going on?” Rolanda asked.

“I’ve only been seeing her for about a month!” Flitwick sputtered as he tried to hide his embarrassment at the announcement of his relationship. “She’s a goblin named Calliope. She works at Gringotts.”

The women at the table ooh’d and ahh’d. Some even brought up the subject of matrimony.

Filius glared at Sybill before addressing the table again.

“Please! No! We haven’t even kissed yet, let alone have we talked about making our relationship permanent!”

His pleas were ignored, and the rest of the evening, much to Filius Flitwick’s chagrin, was spent planning his nuptials.

~~~~~~~


All of these little slips had been really embarrassing to Sybill, and she had tried to reign in her tongue before it got the better of her. Some of it, however, she had done on purpose, making fun of herself.

At dinner last night, she had pointed across the room and cried, “I see the Grim!” Minerva had looked at her sharply, and she figured she’d save the use of that one for a more private setting.

She did enjoy blurting out, “Are you in the beyond? I think you are,” at inopportune moments. Whoever she was speaking with would look at her suspiciously, and she would burst out laughing. The latest victim had been Hagrid. She could tell that he had been trying to be polite after her pronouncement, but his sputtering had given away his thoughts.

“P… P… Professor?” he had said incredulously.

“Yes, Hagrid?” Sybill had said with her deep, mystical, batty Trelawney voice.

“I… I thought… you were giving up…”

Sybill had not been able to hold it in any longer and had burst out laughing, leaving Hagrid looking perplexed.

She had laid her hand on his forearm. “I’m sorry, Hagrid. I’m just having a bit of fun with you!”

Hagrid had heaved a huge sigh. “Well, thank Merlin! I was ready to run fer my hut and owl someone fer an exorcism.”

Sybill had laughed heartily at that. She had truly enjoyed seeing her colleagues' look of horror as she had said batty things. She supposed that her quirky sense of humor would take some getting used to.

She shook her head, coming out of her thoughts, and returned to her magazine article. Suddenly a feeling came over her. Severus was awake. She closed her magazine and headed to the infirmary.

oooOOOooo


Sybill entered the hospital wing and went over to Severus’ bed. He had been situated on the farthest bed from the entryway to help him have as much privacy as possible in the open infirmary. Poppy was nowhere to be seen. Sybill looked down at Severus and wasn’t surprised to see him staring back at her.

“You’re awake,” she said. “Do you need anything?”

Severus tried to speak, but only a croak came out.

“Don’t!” Sybill advised. “Your vocal chords were damaged in the attack. You won’t be able to speak for a few more days. Just think what you need.”

Water

Sybill waved her wand and a glass appeared in her hand. She filled it with water from a pitcher that sat on the table next to Severus’ bed. Sybill helped Severus get up into a sitting position and he took the glass shakily. He carefully sipped the cool drink.

Thank you, he thought.

“You’re welcome,” she said with a smile.

Who are you?

“Why Severus, don’t you recognize the bane of your existence? It’s Sybill.”

Trelawney?

“Do you know of any other Sybill?”

Severus scowled. What happened to you?

“Well, thanks to you, I had to hide my true self so Voldemort didn’t think I had more information on the prophecy. Albus felt that he would abduct me to find out what I knew, even though I knew nothing. Albus was sure that, in his rage, Voldemort would kill me. He suggested I hide my appearance and become the crazy woman you loved so much.”

So you’re not a kook?

Sybill laughed. “Well, I probably am a kook, but I do have a bit of talent that I’ve been hiding away. I also don’t look quite as awful as I used to.” She settled herself into the chair by Severus’ bed.

You can read minds well, I’ll give you that.

“A compliment from you? Has the world come crashing to an end?”

As far as I know it has. The last I remember, I was dead on the floor of the Shrieking Shack.

“Ah, well, to make a long story short, Harry killed Voldemort. Everyone’s happy.”

Severus looked stunned.

Harry didn’t die?

“Do you mean that ‘Harry’s a Horcrux’ thing?”

Horcrux?

“Dumbledore had you guarding Potter and didn’t even bother to explain why?”

How do you know Dumbledore had me guarding Potter?

“I had a vision.”

Right…

“Honestly, Severus. You don’t think I was truly the untalented dullard I made myself out to be?”

I’m sorry, but I find it hard to believe that you can ‘see’ much of anything.

“Yet I know about Voldemort’s Horcruxes and you don’t. Hmm, it seems that although you think I am unable to ‘see’, I still am one up on you.”

Severus narrowed his eyes at her. What did you do, read Dumbledore’s mind or something?

It was Sybill’s turn to narrow her eyes at Severus. “I only use that gift if I am given permission. I understand how much people value their privacy.”

So you haven’t used your mind reading skills in almost twenty years, yet they’re still sharp as a tack? I find that hard to believe.

Sybill pulled herself forward in the chair, getting closer to Severus. “Believe what you will. I have only used my skills twice before this very instance. I am not a gossip monger like some of the teachers in this school.”

When did you use them?

Sybill sighed and sat back again, putting a hand up to her face. “I’m sorry to say that they were both directed at you. Once was a long time ago, when you first joined the Order and became a teacher here. I apologize, Severus, but I was incredibly angry with you for hearing that prophecy and causing me to have to go into hiding. I truly hated my persona and the lesser person I had become. I found it very hard to believe that someone like you would turn so readily from your master’s side. I was startled to find out that you truly had turned away from him.

Severus looked down in his lap. I’m sorry I ruined your life.

Sybill chuckled and waved his comment away. “You hardly ruined my life, Severus. If it hadn’t been you, he would have found out from another. I got over that a long time ago.”

Severus studied her face. She seemed to be sincere. And the other occasion?

“That was when you returned as the Headmaster. I was interested to see your reaction to all of us. It was blatant curiosity on my part, and I shouldn’t have done it. But I had to know. I’m sorry we were all so hard on you. I would have been nicer, but I really couldn’t change character.”

Severus snorted.

“No, really. I had no reason to hate you. I understood what you were going through, having to pretend you were a cold-blooded murderer.”

I am a cold-blooded murderer.

“Severus, your secret is out. Harry told Voldemort in front of everyone. Besides that, I knew the truth all along.”

How?

“I had a vision.”

And you believed it?

“I have never found any of my visions to be wrong.”

Umm hmm…

“Look, just because I appeared to be a crazed loon doesn’t mean that I really was one! My parents had high hopes that I would rival my great-great grandmother’s abilities.”

Were they delusional?

“Ha ha, very funny. No, they weren’t delusional!”

So, if you knew all this from the beginning, why didn’t you tell anyone about my innocence?

Sybill laughed. “Really, Severus. What should I have said? You are in grave danger!” Sybill waved her hands in front of her. She continued in her normal voice. “Oh, and by the way, Severus and Albus planned his death between the two of them. Severus is on our side, he’s not a murderer.” She rolled her eyes. “That would have gone over well.”

Severus smirked. I see your point. He thought to himself for a minute. So you get visions, but don’t tell anyone about them?

Sybill blushed. “Well, yes, I get a lot of visions, and no, I never tell anybody. Who would believe me? Occasionally, it’s a vision about someone being in grave danger.” Sybill’s voice went down an octave with her last two words, and she crooked her fingers, forming imaginary quotation marks. “Usually I could help that person and of course, I did if I could.”

Their conversation was interrupted by Poppy’s arrival. She came bustling over to the bed.

“Oh, Severus, you’re awake finally. Now don’t try to talk, your vocal chords will be mending for a few more days. But it’s a miracle you’re alive. Do you know what happened to you after the snake bit you?”

Severus shook his head.

“Okay, let me just do a quick exam.”

Severus rolled his eyes as Poppy waved her wand over him.

Oh, Merlin, how long am going to be stuck in this blasted prison. Poppy will fawn all over me and treat me like a child. Maybe I should just curse her now, before she starts gushing all over me.

“Severus was wondering how long he’d be here,” Sybill told Poppy while cocking an eyebrow at Severus.

Poppy continued waving her wand while answering. “Once your strength is back, Severus, you can leave. It could possibly be as early as tomorrow. I suspect Fawkes saved your life, as Phoenix tears had been administered to your wound.”

Stuck in this hole for a day with Miss Scurry-About fussing over me. Kill me now.

Sybill snorted, but didn’t translate his musings.

“You’re doing fine, Severus. As I said, you should have your strength back soon,” Poppy told him and disappeared into her office again.

“You’re quite the patient, Severus,” Sybill said with a grin.

I despise hospitals.

“I can’t blame you.” Suddenly a scared look came over Sybill’s face. She stood abruptly and raced out the door.

Severus watched her quick departure and wondered about the odd witch. Granted, she was much easier to deal with without all of her jingly-jangly beads and crazy ranting, but her departure had certainly been odd.

oooOOOooo



Sybill raced up the stairs and down the hall. She had to be quick if she was going to be able to do anything. She screeched to a halt a few feet from Aberforth Dumbledore.

“Stop, Aberforth. Stop where you are!” she cried.

Aberforth stopped and turned, giving Sybill a curious glance.

“Get away from that wall, Aberforth, it’s about to collapse!”

Aberforth didn’t need to be warned twice. He ran to Sybill’s side only a second or two before the wall tumbled to the ground.

“Holy cow!” Aberforth exclaimed. “I was just about to go inspect that to see what kind of repairs it needed.” He glanced over at Sybill. “Whoever you are, madam, I am indebted to you!”

Sybill extended her hand. “I’m Sybill Trelawney, the Divination teacher.”

Aberforth gave her a once over. “Weren’t you blonde with big glasses?”

“Your brother convinced me to use a glamour and hide out here so I wouldn’t be killed by Voldemort.”

“He was always cracked in the head, that one.”

Sybill laughed heartily. “I hate to say I agree with you. Sometimes his schemes were idiotic.”

“Just sometimes? The man wouldn’t have known a good idea if it slapped him in the face and yelled, ‘Look at me!’ He was a foolish, secretive, old crackpot.”

Sybill smiled at Aberforth in agreement. “Anyway, Aberforth, I’m glad I could help. I ran out on a friend, who probably thinks I’ve gone bonkers or something. Of course, I think he thought that before I disappeared from his side, but now it’s been confirmed. I should get back to him.”

“Thank you again, Professor. I owe you one.”

“Don’t mention it,” Sybill said and turned to leave.


oooOOOooo



Sybill returned quietly to the hospital wing. Severus watched her as she came back to his bed, her cheeks red. She settled back into the chair she had vacated previously as if she had been on fire.

“Sorry I rushed out like that. Someone needed my help.”

Another vision, I suppose.

“No, no! Actually, it was time for my daily jog, and I just happened upon Aberforth Dumbledore about to get crushed to death. No visions! Why on earth would you think that?”

Severus glared at her.

You saved him, I take it?

She nodded. “He was just about to be crushed by a falling wall. The castle is in bad shape, Severus, but it will recover.”

Who died in the battle?

Sybill ticked off the names of those brave souls who had given their lives to defeat the maniacal overlord, Voldemort.

I should have been among them.

“No, Severus, you shouldn’t have.”

Another vision?

“No, I just know you were meant to survive. I’m glad you did.”

They sat in silence for a while, Sybill examining her hands and Severus simply looking at the witch whom he thought he knew, but obviously had been incredibly wrong about.

“I should get going,” Sybill said abruptly standing. “If you need something, call out to me in your head. I’ll hear you.”

Can’t you just give me a bell or something?

Sybill smiled at him. “Your wand is at your bedside. You can probably get whatever you need with it.”

He nodded and watched her leave, sank back down into the bed, and promptly fell asleep.



A/N: Next up: A scary vision.

Many thanks to my wonderful beta, Lilith Kayden. Thanks for reading and reviewing. I love hearing from all of you.

The Real Me by debjunk [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved