Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


"I still can't believe he was made Head Boy," Sirius said for the hundredth time that week.

James sighed. "We know, mate. It doesn't help, you repeating it over and over again."

Three seventh year Gryffindor boys were occupying the area closest to the fireplace in the common room, where a fire crackled merrily, warming their faces and casting a golden glow on Peter Pettigrew's rat-like features as he turned to gaze up at his friends. James and Sirius were lounging on the couch, leaving Peter to sit on the floor while Remus was on hall duty with Severus. They were supposed to be doing Transfigurations homework, but any hope of that actually happening had vanished an hour ago.

"Well, I don't see you smiling over it, Prongs," Sirius muttered sulkily.

"No, you're right," James admitted. "It's more the fact that he's still got Lily in his grasp. I really thought... well, I didn't expect it to last this long."

Sirius snorted. "So much for your mature and noble approach, eh?"

James scowled. "I tried to be a gentleman about it, and you know how hard that was for me."

Sirius released a short, bark-like laugh. "Yeah, doesn't exactly come naturally to you, does it?"

"Maybe Wormtail can get on Snape's good side," James joked, looking down at his smaller friend.

Peter cringed and avoided James's eyes.

"Good one, Prongs," Sirius laughed. "We saw the way you were lookin' at Snivelly during Potions. Moony told me you told him you admired Snape."

"Shut up, Padfoot," Peter said in a pitiful, defensive voice.

"Ah, but you don't deny it!" Sirius egged him on.

"Well, he did... uh, he did escape from You-Know-Who last year," Peter pointed out weakly.

"Yes, that he did," James said, nodding. He and Sirius sobered. "But admiring Snape? C'mon, Wormtail!"

Peter didn't say anything further, but to himself, he kept wondering how Severus had managed such a feat. He wasn't as stupid as his friends thought. He knew a war was on the horizon, and in another year, they wouldn't be at Hogwarts. They wouldn't be protected any longer, and the thought of having to fend for himself terrified Peter. Were his friends really going to back him up? He inwardly cowered, partly hating himself for doubting their loyalty to him, but his own lousy loyalty to them didn't even enter his one-track mind. He didn't know how to approach Severus and ask him about the Dark Lord, but right now, Severus was already thinking of how he would use Pettigrew to his advantage.

At that same moment, Remus entered the common room and joined his friends, much to his relief. They could tell by the look on his face that his duty of monitoring the halls hadn't gone well.

"Did you have fun walking through dark, empty corridors with Snape, Moony?" Sirius teased.

When Remus had entered, he had overheard Sirius's remark to Peter. "You were talking about Snape?" he ventured.

Nodding, James said, "Yes, and seeing as you just came from being with him, how is the surly bastard?"

Remus didn't laugh at James's attempt at humor. "It was fine," he muttered, not really wanting to talk about it.

"Oh, come on, Moony!" Sirius prodded. "Something must have happened! Did you say anything to piss Snivelly off?"

"You know my just being with him is reason enough to put him in a bad mood," Remus remarked.

"Moony, you really know how to bring light to a party," James said wryly. "Anyway, we were just talking about how Wormtail here has eyes only for Snivellus. Isn't that sweet?" he mocked.

Peter flushed a horrible shade of red. "Not funny, James," he murmured.

"Lay off Peter," Remus said, more defensively than he intended.

"Hey, what's got your knickers in a twist?" Sirius asked, frowning. "Spending too much time with Snape dampen your mood?"

"You could say that," Remus said sullenly. He looked at Peter and said, "Don't try to admire him, Wormtail. He doesn't care to befriend any of us, anyway."

"Befriend us?" Sirius asked incredulously, and James burst out laughing.

"Since when would you want to be his friend, Moony?" James inquired, thinking Remus to be telling a tall tale.

Remus didn't feel like dignifying his friend's question with a reply. Instead, he told them, "I think I'll head to bed. Good night, guys."

After Remus left, James and Sirius exchanged a glance, then gazed down at Peter on the floor.

"Maybe you'd better heed his advice... or was that a warning?" James said. "Regardless, Wormtail, you don't want to go making friends with him. I still don't trust the git."

In his mind, James still wasn't convinced that Severus wouldn't try to turn rotten. Sirius definitely thought the Slytherin boy to be nothing but bad news, but Peter... that was another matter all together.


x x x x x


Severus was grateful to be back in his private room that night. Lupin was as annoying as ever, thinking he somehow had the right to impose his unwanted, far too forward attempt at friendship... after all the times he had failed to show any inclination to stand up to his own friends when they picked on Severus.

The development with Pettigrew was interesting, to say the least. As Severus undressed and got ready for bed, he wondered how he ought to approach the issue. Should he wait for Pettigrew to come to him, or should he take the first step? As Severus crawled into bed and extinguished the candle on the nightstand, he knew he would have to act. Pettigrew was much too cowardly to take the first step.

When he awoke the following morning, Severus was glad it was a Saturday. He took his time getting ready before breakfast, knowing Lily liked to sleep in on the weekend. He hoped to catch her in the Great Hall, thinking they could spend most of the day together. Since it was early September, the weather was mild.

In the Great Hall, Severus didn't yet see Lily, but he wasn't worried. The hall wasn't too full yet. At the Slytherin table, Severus had to intervene amongst his own house three times. It seemed the division was growing by the day, and the faction that was against Severus was led by Roger Mulciber, not surprisingly. Severus mostly ignored the junior version of his older, nasty brother, but he kept a careful eye on him nonetheless.

While Severus ate breakfast, he kept glancing over at the entrance to the Great Hall, wondering when Lily would show up. None of the Marauders were there yet, either. Little did Severus know that while he was drinking his pumpkin juice and nibbling on some toast, James Potter was seeking out Lily...


x x x x x


Lily had had a good night's sleep and was on her way to the Great Hall when James approached her.

"Good morning, Lily," he said, his voice too pleasant for her liking.

"Hello... James," she replied carefully, eyeing him suspiciously. "What do you want?"

"Oh, Lily, is that any way to greet me? No 'How are you?'"

Lily sighed. "Fine. How are you, James?"

"So kind of you to ask," James said sweetly, as Lily rolled her eyes. "I'm well. I'll even be so kind as to ask how you are."

"Hungry," Lily replied pointedly. "As a matter of fact, I was on my way to-"

"The Great Hall? Me, too."

Lily was growing more wary by the minute, wondering what James was playing at. He had always been an egotistical prat in the past, and now he was pretending, obviously, to be a gentleman.

"Drop the act, James," Lily said impatiently as they walked. "What do you really want?"

"Well, you haven't spoken more than a quick 'hello' to me since returning," James pointed out truthfully. "I hadn't seen you since last school year. How was your summer?"

"Actually very good," Lily admitted. "You know that Severus lives but a ten minute walk from me. We spent a lot of time together, and I think we've grown even closer." Lily smirked, knowing her words would razz James.

James, for his part, forced himself to stay calm. "That's... great," he said, coughing awkwardly. "But, er... Lily, let me just ask you... What is it about Snape that you like so much?" When Lily glared at him, James added hastily, "No, honestly! I'm just curious."

Lily stopped walking and stepped into a side hallway, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. "Honestly?" she asked, raising an eyebrow in a very Severus-like manner. James noticed this and scowled.

"You've been spending far too much time around him," James remarked. "You're even picking up his habits."

"So, what of it?" Lily posed.

"That's not the point," James said. "Just answer my question... please."

"Very well," Lily sighed. "As I told you, Severus lives near me, but you've known that. You know we've been friends since we were nine. We have a history, James. We knew each other long before we were forced into separate houses, when all this ludicrous prejudice began. He may not show his true self to the world, but I know him better than anyone. I love him, and he loves me. Maybe if you would have stopped making his life hell years ago, you could have reconciled and seen what I saw. Are you ready to remove the blinders?"

"I've left him alone," James pointed out. "I haven't hexed him or picked on him in months."

"But neither have you tried to talk to him."

"What would I have to say to him that he would listen to?" James asked. "It doesn't matter, Lily. He's obviously won you."

"Won me?" Lily asked, aghast.

"You... you know I've fancied you," James said in an uncharacteristically small voice.

"Yes, I know," Lily replied gently. "But it's time you move on. You went about it the wrong way, anyway, you prat." She laughed good naturedly.

James forced a weak smile and shrugged. "All right. Let's go eat breakfast. I'm pretty hungry myself."

Lily smiled genuinely and walked alongside James. She found she could consider him a friend now, and for a fleeting moment, she wondered what would have happened if Severus hadn't made the big turnaround he had over a year ago. What if Severus had kept on being friends with Mulciber and Avery? Would James have finally wooed her? She snorted at the thought.

Me?! With James?!

"Is something funny?" the subject of her thoughts asked, casting her a sidelong, quizzical look.

"Never mind," Lily replied as they entered the Great Hall.

From the Slytherin table, Severus watched as Lily strolled into the Great Hall with Potter at her side. He frowned, suddenly losing his appetite. Why was she with him, and why was she smiling like that? An old jealously rose inside him, and for a moment, Severus felt his insecurity pushing itself to the surface.

Don't be ridiculous, he chided himself. You ought to know better by now than to think she would leave you for Potter. That was in a different lifetime. You were a different man then.

Feeling better, Severus finished eating breakfast. He still wanted to know what Lily was doing with Potter, though. Without hesitation, he stood and strode over to the Gryffindor table. He stopped directly behind Lily and Potter.

"Hi, Severus," Lily said, turning around.

"Hello, Lily," Severus replied. He nodded at Potter.

Potter just nodded back and returned to eating. "Outside by the lake in ten minutes?" Lily asked.

Severus nodded and left. He found their usual spot and waited. When Lily joined him, he stood and hugged her. They then settled against the tree.

"I saw you were talking to Potter," Severus said.

"Yes, I was," Lily replied. "And before you worry about anything that was said, he simply wanted to know what I saw in you. I told him I love you and that you are wonderful."

Severus felt a warmth on his cheeks and knew he was blushing. The warmth spread to his insides, and he held Lily closer.

"I think your answer is more than sufficient," he whispered with a genuine smile, content in his confidence in their relationship.


The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved