Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Except for some OCs, the characters here and the world they inhabit are the creation and property of JK Rowling. This chapter takes place during the time line of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The Christmas Holidays came and most students left the school. Parents were eager to have their children within their own homes for a few precious weeks. The Snapes stayed at the school, however, since the Professors Carrow would also remain. The Headmaster wished to keep an eye on them.

The flood of injured people at St. Mungo's had tapered off but was still steady. Emily had tried to reduce her shifts but had not succeeded in doing so to any great extent. She had to work on Christmas day and arrived back in the Headmaster's office to be told by a house-elf that she was expected at dinner in the Great Hall.

Emily was weary, but she was also eager to spend the afternoon and evening with her family. She went down the stairs as quickly as she could and stopped at the bottom for just a moment to catch her breath. She was feeling just a bit light-headed. Severus must have been watching the door for her, because he smiled at her the instant she was in the room. Emily smiled back just as her world went black.

She came to a groggy consciousness in the Hospital Wing, where Poppy was clucking over her and Severus was sitting by her, clinging to her hand. “I don't know why you didn't see fit to tell us, Severus. I'm still a professional and I'm not inhuman.”

Severus scowled at the informal address he was receiving. “The attention I have received around here lately hardly invited confidences, Madam Pomfrey. There are also certain dangers to consider.”

Poppy snorted. “You invited the dangers here. You can hardly complain about them, now. Don't worry, I won't divulge anything to anyone who does not need to know.”

Severus shifted the subject, becoming a concerned husband and father. “Is she all right? Is there a problem with the baby?”

“The child is in excellent health. Emily is simply worn out. I know they need help at St. Mungo's, but they need to ease up on her. Do they know of her condition?”

“Of course, they confirmed it.”

“I'll send them a note, then. They need to let her slow down before they kill her.”

Emily spoke up then. “The baby?”

Severus leaned down to kiss her forehead. “Poppy says our child is fine and that you are just exhausted. I'll contact your mother that you won't be in tomorrow.”

“Or the next day,” added Poppy.

“Or the next day,” agreed Severus.

Emily nodded. “I'd like to go back to our own quarters. I feel exposed, here.”

Severus helped her sit up. “Are you up to it?”

Emily nodded. “Yes, I just need to get back to where you and the children are.”

The Mediwitch watched the Headmaster lead his wife out of the Infirmary, his arm firmly around the pregnant woman's waist. The man's devotion to his wife made it hard to believe that he could truly be bad. There was no arguing with the fact that he had killed his predecessor, though. Poppy sighed.




The Snape family enjoyed their Christmas evening together and the morning afterwards. Emily needed to stay quiet and rest. In the afternoon Hope took Brendon outside to play in the snow while Severus kept his wife company. They played games and discussed various things until a clamor in the Headmaster's office drew him away from his wife.

He came back a moment later to get his heaviest cloak and kiss his wife goodbye. “Phineas thinks he knows where the boy is.”

Emily knew that Headmaster Black somehow had a connection to Harry Potter and his friend, Hermione Granger. The portrait was trying to obtain information concerning their location so that Severus could somehow get Gryffindor's sword to the boy for the tasks that Dumbledore had set him. The sword at Gringotts was a fake while the real sword had been hidden behind Dumbledore's portrait. “Be careful, someone might be trying to set a trap.”

“I'm always careful. Trust me.”

“I trust you.”

For once Severus Snape was smiling as he left his apartment.




Severus returned after the children had gone to bed. He was exhausted but pleased to have the task completed. He described setting the sword in a frozen pool and sending the doe Patronus to find Potter. Potter had come and when the doe disappeared, he saw the sword in the pool. Severus watched from between two trees as the boy took his clothing off and dove into the water. He was horrified when Potter didn't come back up and relieved when Ronald Weasley came and pulled him out.

He had Disillusioned himself so that the boys would not find him and had watched in amazement as they took a golden locket out and destroyed it. The voice that came from the locket was all too familiar to anyone who had spent time with the Dark Lord. The voice echoed and filled Severus with horror. When Weasley destroyed the locket with the sword it was a great relief. Even the animal noises in the forest had gone silent when the locket opened and went back to normal when it was destroyed. The boys wandered off and eventually disappeared in the woods, discussing commonplace things except for a word unfamiliar to Severus.

“Emily, have you ever heard of Horcrux?”

“Is it the name of a spell?”

“I don't know. They mentioned it as they went back to the tent. I suppose it could be a spell, item, or potion or perhaps nothing at all. I wonder if it's related to what Dumbledore wanted them to do to defeat him.”

“I've never heard of it.”

“I suppose I can do some checking. What are you reading?” He saw that Emily had The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore on her lap. “You can't be serious.”

“Well, I'm not sure if it's all true, but it's fascinating reading. I found this interesting, look.” She showed him a picture of the late Headmaster as a young man with another young man. The accompanying caption said, Albus Dumbledore, shortly after his mother's death, with his friend Gellert Grindelwald. “It must have been years and years before their duel. Albus suggested that Grindelwald was once a close friend at the very least. I wonder how they ever got so close.”

Severus sat down and pulled his wife's legs into his lap. “I wouldn't mind getting close to you, but I think you're supposed to be quiet until Poppy checks you, tomorrow.”

Emily smiled up at him. “It's not so bad.”

“No, it isn't. At least I get to have you beside me, tonight. Which reminds me that you're supposed to be resting. Let's get you to bed.”




“You called, My Lord?”

“Ah, Severus, you are quite prompt.”

“Your summons is very important.”

“Yes, it is. Severus, I have learned that you are holding out on me.”

“My Lord?”

“You will find that Alecto is quite adept in the art of listening at doors. She has informed me that congratulations are due to the House of Snape.”

Severus swore to himself that, from now on, he would always use the Muffling Charm whenever he so much as asked the time. “Yes, Emily is with child.”

“And you didn't tell me?”

“We haven't told anyone. Our safety at Hogwarts is precarious. So much of the staff resents my presence there...”

“Ah, and we must protect our future Death Eaters. That's quite prudent, Severus.” The lipless mouth smiled. “I find that although you and your wife were reluctant to join my fold, you have accomplished great things for me. You rid me of one concern, you are protecting Hogwarts from another, and you are providing me with great Wizarding stock for the next generation of my servants.”

“We do what we can.”

“When will my new servant come?”

“We believe the middle of May.”

“There's no way Potter will survive until then. We could easily be preparing for the birth of my heir by this time next year.”

“Yes, My Lord.” Severus willed himself not to think of it, now.

“The Snape family will be greatly rewarded at that time.”

“As you wish.”

The spider-like fingers waved, indicating a change of subject. “You know I search for a powerful weapon that I can use against Potter.”

“Yes, My Lord.”

“I have questioned Ollivander and more recently Gregorovitch. That was a bit of a dead end, but I believe my weapon passed through the hands of another young man.” He held the remains of a photograph. “I will be returning to Europe to trace him. While I am gone, I trust you can continue your good work at Hogwarts?”

“Absolutely.”

“Don't fail me, Severus.” With a wave of the pale, overlong fingers, the Headmaster was dismissed. Severus hurried back to Hogwarts, worried about the fact that his wife was unprotected from attack by two people within the castle.




Dear Lucky,

I think my parents are near the breaking point. They've been arguing for half the Holidays about Mum's safety here at Hogwarts. Daddy's back to calling her “Madam,” something I haven't heard since You-Know-Who came back. Daddy thinks that with her pregnancy, Mum could be in increased danger from certain people who are here at Hogwarts. Mum thinks that's ridiculous and that she could never be safer than if she was with Daddy.

It got worse just this week. He came back a few nights ago quite agitated. It seems that one of our two new professors had overheard that Mum is pregnant. She told You-Know-Who and he spoke with Daddy about it. Daddy and Mum have been discussing it ever since.

His strongest argument is in the way Luna was abducted from the Hogwarts Express on the way home. Daddy was livid about it. He takes the wellbeing of us students so seriously. “Madam,” he said, “If they're willing to kidnap a teenaged girl in order to make Xeno Lovegood do what they want, what might they do with you?” Her response was that the baby was considered too valuable and that enough people know the Dark Lord's other plans that no one would hurt her. There's something they haven't told me about Mum and the Dark Lord. I heard her discuss it with Sirius Black long ago, but it still doesn't make any sense.

For now, Mum has convinced Daddy that she is best off where she is. Daddy has said he will consider it, but if anything changes, she will have to go to Grandma's house. He begged her and he sounded like he was almost choking. Mum apologized and told him that the next time something happened, she would go as he requested. I know they've told me a lot about what's been going on this year, but there's still some they're holding back.

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow in Dark Arts class. I admire your spunk and your self-confidence. I always knew it was there, but you're using it, now. I wish they wouldn't use it as an excuse to hurt you. The best part about class tomorrow is that you won't be covered in bruises and half-healed wounds, for once.

Sincerely,
Hope

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved