Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter 25: Plans

They had settled on a nice quiet restaurant for dinner and had chatted amicably throughout the meal. Now they were walking slowly toward her apartment, which was still several blocks away. They were walking across from Central Park hand in hand.

“Would you like to take a walk through the park?” Severus asked.

Bree stopped dead and looked at him as if he were insane.

“You want to walk through Central Park at night?” she asked incredulously.

Severus shrugged. “I thought it would be nice.”

“Oh, sure, if you want to get mugged. I don’t care what that Muggle mayor says, it’s not safe to walk through the park at night.”

Severus looked a bit disappointed, but she knew the city much better than he did. He nodded his agreement. Bree looked around a bit and spied what she was searching for.

“A carriage ride through the park, though, would be wonderful.”

She motioned over at the horse drawn carriages that were down the street a bit. Severus smiled as they headed over to them. Soon they were snuggled together in the back of the Hansom Cab, a blanket covering them from the chill. Bree snuggled up to Severus while he put his arm around her as the carriage took off. They listened to the horse’s clip clop as he trotted into the park. Soon, they were taken out of the city and into what seemed like a different world. As they got deeper into the park, even the loud noise from the cars seemed to disappear.

They watched as the trees went by. They passed a few lakes and some beautiful buildings within the park. Severus was surprised to see a carousel, and they had even passed a zoo.

“I can’t believe how huge this park is!” Severus remarked.

They could see the skyscrapers far off, but the park seemed to go on forever.

Bree beamed. “It’s great, isn’t it? You can still see the city, but it’s like you’re in another world.”

“You really like living here, don’t you, Brianna?”

“Oh, absolutely. At first it was a bit difficult to get used to the constant hustle and bustle, but I’ve grown used to it.”

Severus was quiet as he rubbed her shoulder and pulled her closer. He rested his chin on her head and stared ahead pensively. How could they have a decent relationship when an entire ocean separated them? They would only be able to see each other sporadically when time would support Portkey travel. He was hoping she would want to return to England, but she loved living in the states. He didn’t want her to give up everything just to be with him. Perhaps there was another way they could spend more time together.

He kissed the top of her head. “My Portkey is set to leave tomorrow at noon,” he told her.

She frowned as she looked at him. “You’re leaving so soon?”

“Yes, I have to be back to teach. I also have some things that must be done before the start of school again on Monday.”

Bree snuggled closer into him. “Well, let’s not waste the precious time we have together before you need to go.”

He leaned in and kissed her, making her shudder at his touch. Pressing her lips harder against his, she curled her hand around and began caressing his hair. She could never get enough of running her fingers through his ebony hair. They finally broke apart and continued to watch the park go by from the carriage.

All too soon the ride was over. They walked silently back to her apartment hand in hand. Severus accompanied her to her door, where they shared a passionate kiss.

“Come by in the morning,” Bree said huskily. “I want to see you before you Portkey away.”

He caressed her face. “I will see you in the morning then,” he said passionately, kissing her again before turning, reentering the elevator, and departing.

oooOOOooo


Bree had been up for an hour when there was a tap at her balcony door. She went over to it and let the owl in. She was always amazed that they could fly so high and deliver her mail. She took the message from the owl’s outstretched foot. She patted his head and searched for a treat. Returning to the owl, she gave him his treat. He deserved it after ascending this high just to deliver a simple note. Freeing the owl, she turned and unrolled the scroll. It was from Brian.

Bree,

Seth Grady is ecstatic to be retiring. You may have the British Ministry position. I have started the process to find your replacement. Once they are trained, you are free to move and begin your new job. This office, unfortunately, will not be the same without you.

Brian


Bree jumped up and down in glee at her fortune. The night before, she had been a bit melancholy at the thought of Severus’ leaving. It would be difficult to maintain such a long distance relationship. Now she didn’t need to worry about that. She would be back in Britain, surely within a month.

There was a light knock at the door. Bree put the parchment into her pocket and rushed to answer it. Severus stood there smiling devilishly at her. Bree eyed him with a puzzled look.

“I hear that there is a beautiful witch who lives here, and I’ve come to steal her heart.”

Bree laughed and pulled him inside. She kissed him quickly as they headed for the kitchen. They each took a seat at the table that was there, where she had laid out a light breakfast. She grabbed a bagel and began to smother it in cream cheese. Severus followed suit, and soon they were munching on their breakfast, chatting amicably. When breakfast was finished they moved into the living room and sat beside each other on the couch.

“So, you need to leave at noon?” she asked him.

Severus frowned. “Yes,” he replied.

She sighed. “You’re going to go back, all of those witches are going to throw themselves at you, and you will forget about me entirely.”

Severus looked at her curiously. “What other witches?”

“Don’t think I don’t read the papers. I know you’re flocked by women wherever you go. The very reliable Daily Prophet told me so.”

He smirked at her. “For once, the Prophet isn’t too far off. I have been swarmed a couple of times.”

She looked at him in amazement. “You like it, don’t you?”

“I like anything that makes you jealous. It makes me know you still care.”

She hit his chest lightly. “How dare you say such a thing? You know I care.”

“Ow, you struck me! I will charge you with assault if you do not cease and desist this instant!”

She hit him again, flashing him a taunting smile.

He arched an eyebrow at her. “It seems that your jealousy has taken a vindictive turn.”

She hit him again.

“Do I need to call the authorities, Miss Corwin?”

“I am the authorities,” she said as moved to hit him again.

This time he reached out and grabbed her hand before it could strike his chest. He pulled her to him and bent her hand behind her back. Smiling at her he taunted her more.

“So, what are you going to do now, my little captive?”

She huffed at him and then grinned evilly, “Let me go! I’ll have you know you are assaulting an officer of the law.”

“Are you going to handcuff me and throw me in jail?” he teased.

“Don’t give me any ideas!” she retorted with a laugh as she struggled to free herself from his grasp.

“The only way I’ll let you go is if you do something for me.”

Bree narrowed her eyes at him. “What, exactly, do you want me to do?”

“A simple kiss is all I ask for your freedom. A kiss and the promise to never look at any man while I am away and you’ll be free.”

Her jaw dropped. “What? I can’t do that!”

“You’ll have to, or you’ll be in my clutches forever.”

“Or until noon, whichever comes first.”

Severus raised an eyebrow at her. “Until noon, yes, of course. So, do you agree to my terms?”

“The kiss part,” she haggled.

“It’s both or no deal.”

“Severus, how am I supposed to never look at any men? This city is swarming with them. Do you want me to put on blinders or something?”

He thought about it for a minute and smiled at her. “That would be acceptable.”

Bree huffed and continued to struggle to break his grasp.

“I won’t let go until you promise me to abide by those terms. I don’t want you falling in love with some other tall, dark, and handsome man while I’m gone.”

“You’re better than any of them, I can assure you that,” she admitted. She looked at him and saw the concern in his eyes. “I’ll stay away from all of the men if you stay away from all of the women, is that a deal?”

He smiled with that devilish smile again. “It’s a deal,” he agreed and released her arm. “Now, for my kiss.”

She pecked him lightly on the cheek.

He scowled at her. “That’s not what I meant, woman.”

“You just said a kiss, I gave you a kiss. You need to learn to be more specific with me, my dear,” she chided.

“I meant like this,” he grumbled.

He pulled her to him and seared her with a sensual kiss that left her weak in the knees. All too quickly he was pulling away, smirking at her, knowing that she was swooning.

“I see you need examples for you to understand what I mean,” he chided. “Now do it right.”

She gaped at his audacity but pulled him to her anyway and returned his kiss with a searing one of her own. He could feel her passion all the way to his toes. She finally pulled away.

“Was that more of what you had in mind?” she asked innocently, her hazel eyes wide.

“Yes, I’m glad to see that you are a quick study,” he replied before he kissed her once more.

oooOOOooo


Severus stroked Bree’s hair as they sat together on the couch. He only had about a half hour before his Portkey would take him away from her. Kissing the top of her head, he proposed his idea to keep them from being apart too much.

“Brianna?”

“Mmm?” she said with her eyes closed.

“I am going to resign my post at Hogwarts and move here.”

Bree’s eyes snapped open before she pulled away from him.

“Are you daft? Why would you do such a thing?”

“Brianna, our relationship can’t last long being separated so much. If I’m here, then we can be together. I’m sure there’s plenty of work for a Potions master here in the states. I can set up a lab and have my days to myself.”

“But I thought you liked teaching,” she said slowly.

“I do and don’t. I like the thought of teaching. The actual teaching itself leaves much to be desired sometimes. To be honest with you, I am quite fed up with working with Albus. If I never see him again, I will be a happy man.” He smiled at her.

“No, Severus. You can’t leave your career, pick up everything, and move here just for me. You have no idea whether you could make a living here or not. New York City life is incredibly expensive!”

“It will work out, Brianna, trust me.”

She searched his face. She could not believe that he would give up his entire life for her. Then again, of course she could, he loved her without reservations, and she had seen it. Still, it made her feel incredibly special. She smiled at him and grasped his hand.

“Severus, you don’t have to do that. I’ve already made arrangements to transfer to the British Ministry as an American Liaison.”

He gave her a puzzled look. “But you’re not an American.”

She chuckled. “That’s what Brian said! I explained to him that I’ve lived here far longer than I have lived in England. Besides, I know the ins and outs of the American Ministry better than probably anyone, including the current liaison, who is eager to retire, by the way.”

“But you love living here. You said so last night.”

She scoffed at him. “Yes, I love living here, silly. But I would much rather live where you are. I was planning on staying in Britain before the war ended.” She left the rest unsaid.

“But your career,” Severus argued.

“Will be almost exactly the same! Severus, this couldn’t be a better answer for us. Brian said that as soon as my replacement here is trained, I can start in Britain. I’ll only be here for maybe a month, perhaps even less, depending on when they find someone to replace me.”

“You would leave everything you have here for me?” he asked incredulously.

“You just offered to do the same for me, my love. Of course I would. My life is nothing without you in it.”

He smiled at her. As usual she was one step ahead of him and had worked everything out.

“Have I told you what an amazing woman you are?” he asked emotionally.

She smiled back at him. “Not today,” she quipped.

“You’re the most amazing woman I’ve ever known.”

Her smile was buried behind his kiss. Would he ever get enough of this beautiful witch? He hoped not. He pulled away finally. Their conversation was not yet over.

“I believe I’m going to leave Hogwarts in any case,” he revealed.

Bree caressed his cheek. “Why?”

“As I said, I have had enough of Dumbledore. I believe that I would be too tempted to hex him if I stayed too long.”

“What will you do then?”

Severus leaned back on the couch. “I’ve always wanted to freelance. I’ve done a little of it, but my teaching duties have kept me from expanding as much as I want. With the war over, my name is now famous. I should have no problem selling potions and elixirs to the various suppliers in Britain and around the world.”

“Will that be fulfilling for you?”

Severus chuckled. “Probably much more fulfilling than teaching ever was. It is time for me to move on. I have been a slave to teaching and to Dumbledore for far too long now. A clean break will be welcome. I’ll turn in my resignation and finish out the semester.”

Bree smiled at him. “I think that’s the best plan for you, Severus. Albus has used you for far too long. I don’t think your relationship will ever be the same.”

“Nor do I want it to be,” he stated grimly. He grasped her hand in his. “I can come again next weekend. I can come every weekend actually.”

She nodded. “That would be best. I need to stay in town in case there’s some big crime and I’m needed for the investigation.” Bree frowned. “I’m going to miss you.”

“And I shall miss you, Brianna.”

He pulled her to him and enveloped her in a huge hug. He kissed her as if he would never see her again, even though they would be reunited once again in a week. They lingered together for a moment, and then Bree pulled back and fished in her pocket. She pulled out a vial filled with silvery swirling threads.

“Take this,” she commanded.

“Why are you giving me your memories?” Severus asked as he held up the vial and stared at the memories.

“They’re for when you are lonely,” she told him.

“But I don’t want to take away your memories from you.”

“It’s okay, you can give them back. Besides, I have others too.” She smiled at him and squeezed his arm. “It’s almost time for you to go.” She told him.

He stepped back from her and placed the vial in his pocket. Removing his hand, he had replaced the vial with a broken pocket watch. She smiled at him as he readied himself for travel.

Looking at her, he murmured, “I shall see you in a week, then.”

She grinned broadly. “I’ll be looking forward to it.”

The Portkey activated, and he disappeared from sight. Bree sighed. It was going to be a long week.


A/N: Next up: Preparations for moving.

Thank you, Lilith Kayden, for your beta work. I hope you enjoyed this little fluff fest. We always live for these, don’t we?








A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved