Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Except for some OCs, the characters here and the world they inhabit are the creation and property of JK Rowling. This chapter takes place within the time line of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.




Dear Hope,

It seems odd not to be writing with a problem in potions. I don't know if I ever thanked you properly for helping me to scrape by with an A on my O.W.L. I'm sure it would have been a T without your help all these years.

I do have a problem with D.A.D.A. and Charms. I noticed in both classes that you seemed to have no problem with the silent spells. How do you do that so easily? Even Hermione Granger had to work hard on it all week.

I hope you don't mind that I've brought someone with me when I go to the library to listen in on your study sessions. She gets so intimidated by some of the professors, but she's a lot better at the spell work than she seems.

You stopped coming to the hospital and then you didn't write very much over the summer. I hope you're not mad at me.

Sincerely,
Lucky




Margo Snape read the note and sighed. The adventure of passing notes and helping the helpless was fading. She knew what she would like to write back, but Neville wasn't interested. Daddy was nice about things and all, but she knew he was disappointed in how she felt. Daddy was preoccupied these days, though. He had something major on his mind and was having a difficult time keeping Malfoy in line.

Malfoy was another odd situation. At times he seemed almost frantic while at others he had an even greater swagger than before. His attentions were getting more and more pointed and Margo was getting to the point where she would have to use a curse that would be fairly disabling. Daddy was keeping an eye on Draco, but Draco was getting pretty rude to Daddy. From word around the common room, Draco blamed Daddy for his own father getting caught in that Ministry raid. It seemed frankly stupid to Margo. If Lucius Malfoy, with all of his Ministry connections, couldn't keep himself out of jail, what was Daddy supposed to do?

Come to think of it, Neville was one of Margo's simpler relationships. If she just gave him the clues he needed to figure out his schoolwork, he would be happy. She found a piece of parchment that was about the correct size and started to write.

Dear Lucky,

Unspoken magic comes to me somewhat naturally, I guess. You may remember that we could all do it in different ways before we even had wands. Just remember what that was like. Do you remember how when we were little, we would want something so badly that our desire became the magic? Sometimes I think the wands and spells disconnect us from what we can do.

I don't mind your girlfriend listening in, but we need to be very careful, you know. House rivalries are worse than ever. We need to avoid adding to the conflict.

I haven't written much because things have been somewhat tough around our house. Daddy had some reason for needing to stay at his house all summer but the rest of us did what we usually do in the summer. It hasn't been easy on Mum. Daddy's preoccupied about something, too. Harry Potter's theatrics don't help, either. I know he's had a tough time of things, but he needn't act as if the rest of us don't matter. A lot of people are having problems, just like him.

Enough grousing, you probably want some of the following notes for your essay in Charms.

Sincerely,
Hope





“We finally have our little meeting, Potter. I'm glad you could make it. How fortunate for us that Headmaster Dumbledore does not require your presence tonight.”

The boy sat down and looked up at him belligerently.

“You seem particularly angry with me, Potter.” Professor Snape had an impression of emotion over the death of Sirius Black and his eyebrows raised slightly. If Dumbledore did not see fit to enlighten the boy, Professor Snape would not, either. “Well, Potter, we've all suffered losses this summer. You can hardly consider yourself exempt. As Miss Robins no doubt told you, I need you to sort through flobberworms. You need to use your bare hands, as it's impossible to tell which are good through gloves.”

He pointed out the table where the flobberworms were laid out and moved to sit down at his desk, where a stack of essays awaited. He looked at the face of the boy as he began his task. As usual, no Legilimency was needed to know what the boy was thinking. “Feel free to say what's on your mind, Potter. There are several other potions ingredients that could be prepared. Professor Slughorn is an excellent teacher, but far too permissive. He allows you students to get things into a horrible state.”

For once Potter worked quickly and efficiently. In less than an hour, Professor Snape was standing in the doorway of his own apartment, watching his wife carry his sleepy son to bed. He sat down and poured some elf-made wine that Emily had set out. In just a few minutes she reappeared, the top of her robes unfastened, and curls escaping from where her hair was pinned up.

“Is he really down for the night?”

“The day-care center took the kids to play outside. He's completely worn out.”

“So what are your plans for me this evening?”

“I thought we could start with a little passionate necking, and then see what happens.”

He held a glass out to her and she sat with him on the couch. He fingered the collar of her blouse. “You're all unbuttoned again.”

“Is that a problem?” she asked.

“Not at this time of day,” he responded. They drank some of the wine and then started kissing. The pressures of the day receded as they spoke of various events. Severus spoke of his detention with Harry Potter as Emily described arriving at the hospital to learn that due to a scheduling conflict she wasn't needed. She took advantage of the opportunity to do a little shopping.

They kissed some more and Severus worked his way down his wife's throat. “Mmmm, I can hardly do the same,” she said. “Someone is buttoned and tied completely.” She started to unfasten his collar, a process that was complicated by the feelings his lips were giving her.

“You know it's important to do things properly,” he replied.

“I suppose someday I'll be glad you always have yourself fastened so tightly. I don't expect it to save your life or anything, though. Aha, success!” She had found her way down to bare skin and applied her lips with great fervor.

“You never know...wait, Emily, you're getting ahead of me...” She giggled as he worked to unfasten her clothing and giggled some more as he put his hands on her shoulders and pushed some space in between them.

“This is new,” he said, nodding toward a wispy garment he had never seen before. The word “garment” was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration.

Emily blushed. “Do you like it?”

“Very much. What else did you get today?” He didn't wait for the answer but continued working her fastenings as she shrieked with laughter. Before long they had taken each other to a place only they knew. No impossible tasks were there, no threats from maniac wizards were there, no students were there, and no patients were there. It was simply the two of them.




There was no doubt that Margo Snape had blossomed over the summer. She had always been striking with her dark blue eyes, curly black hair, and pale face. Now she had reached a graceful height and was slim but her snug jumper showed that she was definitely curvy in the places a boy could admire. On this particular morning, she had come prepared to go straight to Hogsmeade without returning to her dorm after breakfast. She accepted the assistance of Theodore Nott, who placed her cloak over her shoulders with a flourish.

Looking from across the Great Hall, Neville Longbottom watched a sweet blush creep over Margo's face and thought she had become quite pretty, indeed. He saw the soft look in her eyes as she took Nott's arm and walked toward the door. Her mouth twisted in amusement at something Nott said to her and Neville's own mouth burned with the memory of the kiss she had given him. Nott glanced around the room with a look of triumph in his face. Neville put down his orange juice; it was turning his stomach sour.

He looked at the parchment in his other hand. Hannah had a rough time since her mother had died. She was trying to take care of her dad, now, and wasn't sure when she would be back to school. Hannah was so good and steady. She had the peaches and cream complexion he admired. She was always soft-spoken, and he knew she would never best him in a duel. In short, she was his type, the sort of girl he had known from childhood would be for him. There was nothing unexpected about her and nothing intimidating. Best of all, she fancied him.

Neville looked up when he heard an enchanting laugh and saw a dark green cloak swirl away. He sighed and headed back to the common room. He should probably write Hannah back, she sounded so lonely. After that, he should get going on that essay he had to write for Snape. Somewhere he had the notes Hope had given him for that essay. If he was lucky, there was also a clue about how to begin his essay for Flitwick, too.




After a night spent pursuing pleasure in each other's company, Severus and Emily looked forward to a day with their son. They hoped that he would take a long nap or two and allow them further pursuits. The morning went as well as they could wish. They ate an early breakfast and went outside with the toddler to play in the cool autumn weather. Brendon tired as it got too cold and windy to play and they went back indoors. After hot cocoa and biscuits, he took a nap, allowing his parents to retire to their own room for an hour or so.

Unfortunately after lunch, Severus was summoned to the Hospital wing by Argus Filch, who was carefully carrying a necklace believed to be cursed. It seemed that Katie Bell had touched the necklace and had a terrible reaction to it. Severus examined the necklace and asked Emily to join him. They went and used such cures as they knew. Katie's condition stabilized, but her prognosis was still uncertain. Madam Pomfrey asked Emily to take Katie to St. Mungo's for her further treatment and with rueful smiles at each other the Snapes separated for the afternoon.

Severus spent the time speaking with Minerva and hearing the gossip associated with the incident. He also studied the necklace and tried to establish the exact nature of the curse attached to it. He sent word to Emily, who sent word back. Using his information they were able to find a way to heal the student.

Brendon had been in bed a while when a noise from the fireplace informed Severus of Emily's return. She straightened up and brushed ashes from her robes as she walked toward him, smiling. “You're not all buttoned up, tonight,” she said.

Severus put down the issue of Practical Potionmaking he was looking through. “It seems our son enjoys getting as much water on his father as possible when taking his bath. I didn't see much use in putting on anything other than this dressing gown when I finally got us dry.”

“Nothing at all?” she asked softly, her lips twitching in a smile.

“You'll have to see what you find,” he responded with a smirk. He patted the couch next to himself. “Have you eaten? We can have the house-elves get you something...”

“I'm fine, thank you. Things were pretty touchy until you sent me that message. I thought we might lose her. We could keep it from causing further damage, but the curse wouldn't stop moving through her body. After we heard from you, we were able to apply the proper counter-spell. Then we took turns watching her and grabbing a meal. The potions continued reversing the damage and I think she may come out of it completely. It will be a while, perhaps months.” Emily was playing with the hands she loved and on impulse kissed them. “We can chalk one up to Severus Snape saving a life, today.”

“If only it were so easy as to balance it. Today I helped save a life, will it balance the fact that soon I must take one?” Emily looked up in dismay as he shook his head. “Potter saw Draco Malfoy looking at that very necklace in a Knockturn Alley shop a long time ago. He's convinced that Draco is somehow to blame for this.”

“Do you suppose that somehow Draco was trying to use it to fulfill his task?”

“He was serving a detention with Minerva, but somehow it might be possible. It's very sloppy, though. There will be a lot of trouble if someone else is hurt. The boy refuses to confide in me. I can't seem to convince him that I have his best interests in mind.”

“I know you'll find a way to make this work.”

“Hm. I'll talk to Albus when he comes back.” The conversation was over and he stared at his wife for a while. “It's pretty rare that my wife is more buttoned up than I am,” he observed. His eyes became intent.

Emily suddenly lost her breath. “Is that a problem?”

“Not if it's only for a few minutes.” His hands slid up under her robe and started massaging her legs.

“Severus?”

“Yes?”

“Do you think a change...of venue...might be warranted?” Emily turned her head to watch as her skirt fell to the floor.

“That's an excellent idea.” Before Emily could stand, Severus picked her up and carried her into the bedroom where he slid his hands along her legs again. They were well on their way toward ecstasy together. A while later Severus held Emily tightly, whispering words she would never tire of hearing as she folded herself deeply within his arms and clung to him.

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved