Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Except for some OCs, the characters here and the world they inhabit are the creation and property of JK Rowling. This chapter takes place during the time line of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

On a day in late July, Emily arrived at the Headmaster's office in Hogwarts with the potions Severus told her she would need, as well as some treatments she wanted to investigate, herself. She gave the password to the gargoyle, knocked on the door, and entered as bid. She wasn't prepared for the look of disappointment she received when the Headmaster realized she had come instead of her husband.

“Where is Severus?”

“He was called by his other master and asked me to come. He wanted me to look over your condition, anyway.”

“Very well.” Dumbledore allowed her to roll up his sleeve to see the extent of the damage.

Emily's eyebrows lifted. “This goes farther up your arm than I had expected from Severus's description.”

“He had said that it would slowly creep throughout my body.”

“He's correct about that, but this seems faster than I would have expected. What have you been doing that would take more of your strength than usual?”

“I Apparated with the Potter boy, first to visit Horace Slughorn and then to take him to the Weasley's home.”

“Perhaps that is what did it.” The hand was cold and stiff. “Do you have much use of it at all?”

“It's still my wand hand.”

“Let's see if we can help it, then.” Emily gave the Headmaster the potions that Severus had prepared and massaged some emollients into the hand itself.

“Ow!” he complained, pulling his hand away, wincing and then flexing his fingers. “That's actually...better.”

Emily placed the jar of lotion on the Headmaster's desk. “It's not a cure, exactly, although it will assist the potions at keeping the curse at bay. However, it will help to relax the stiffness and maintain your abilities for as long as possible. You do need to conserve your strength, Albus, if you plan to live out this school year.” Emily put the other potion bottles into her bag and cleared up.

“I will take it, as they say, under advisement?” Dumbledore looked over his glasses and conjured a chair. “Take a cup of tea with me, Emily.”

She sighed and sat down, gingerly. She always said more in these conversations than she intended. “I guess I have a few minutes...”

“Splendid.” Lifting a teapot that appeared to have come from nowhere, he poured. “So tell me, Emily, how have you and Severus handled your separation this summer?”

“It has its difficulties,” she answered, before looking into the eyes that were watching her. Somehow he was pulling more out of her.

“How is Severus dealing with all of this?”

“It's hard on him. He has a great deal to work with, what with the demands you have placed upon him, and the Dark Lord's and Narcissa's demands, too. Receiving his contract for the coming school year only reinforced the fact that we are all in grave danger. The thought that he will have to say goodbye to you, and to Hogwarts, too, because of the jinx, was too much for him.”

“I always meant for him to have that subject eventually, and now we need him to take it on. No one will prepare the students better, and if things happen as I hope, it will not be goodbye to Hogwarts for Professor Snape. I think it will all work to his advantage.”

Emily recoiled at the thought. “It was horribly upsetting for him to finally receive what he has always wanted, this year of all years, and to know what you expect in exchange. Is there no other way, Albus?”

“It's the obvious thing to do, and think of the suffering he will spare me.”

Emily became angry. “Just because you will be gone doesn't mean the suffering will end, Albus. What about the suffering of those who love you? What about my husband? What will he suffer for having done this thing? What will his family suffer because of it?”

“Emily, Emily, what will you suffer when your husband's other master decides he's untrustworthy? Voldemort would kill him and then the rest of you. What about your children, Hope and Brendon, and the others that will surely come? I have cherished a hope that you would name one for me.”

Emily gave him a tortured look.

“My own troubles are of secondary interest, Emily. What matters is that Severus continue as the confidante of Voldemort, that is, as much as anyone can have his confidence. It's important for that trust to grow so that Severus can be of the greatest use to those who fight against Voldemort. I don't fool myself into thinking the Order will continue past my last breath, but there will be groups of people who will continue to work for our goals. The cost to your family is tremendous, but it will work best in the end. That Voldemort be destroyed for good is our goal and to that end, no sacrifice is too great.”

Emily's eyes teared up as she tried to grasp what he was saying. “I've always wondered—why didn't you kill Grindlewald?”

This time Dumbledore broke the stare. “Ah, Gellert... I told you before, Emily, I had to destroy what I loved. Once I had accomplished that, it didn't seem necessary or reasonable to take it any farther. You're right about the continuation of the suffering. I've suffered since the day my sister died. She had eyes very much like Hope's, you know. She had a troubled childhood, through no fault of her own. Muggle boys had hurt her and there was no way to reverse the damage. Now I know a bit of that.” He waved his wand hand.

“When her troubles ended, mine truly began. I was separated from my dearest one forever, and my brother hasn't quite trusted me since that time. Then I waited, perhaps far too long, to rid the world of an evil that was encroaching... What a different world it would be if Ariana was not the one killed that day.”

He roused himself. “I'm sure your family's needs require you to get home, Emily. Please realize that in all the plans I have made, I think this will have the best outcome for as many people as possible, including your family.”

Emily walked toward the gates of the school, lost in thought. Once again she couldn't decide whether the Headmaster was being utilitarian or kind, or a mixture of both. Once again she wondered if he knew the answer to that question himself. As she reached the gates and Filch let her out, she roused herself to look around carefully before she stepped off the grounds and Disapparated.




Severus Snape was having a different sort of conversation with his other master. It was always a bit of a concern when one was summoned to the Dark Lord's side alone. One never knew for sure whether he would return from such meetings.

“Severus, young Draco Malfoy has taken my Mark and is poised to take on the task I have given him. I hope you will continue to be his mentor at the school.”

“I shall strive to help him in any capacity he requests, master.”

“Good, and should he fail?”

“I understand that you still wish me to continue his task?”

“Excellent. Now I ponder the growth of my organization and it occurs to me that another might take her place within it. When does Margo Snape take my Mark?”

Severus was not prepared for the panic that came at the thought. “Master, she's still so young.”

“As I recall, she's older than young Malfoy, Severus.”

“Her head is filled with boys and romance, she would not be a very clear-headed servant at this time, master. She also hopes to follow her mother's footsteps into St. Mungo's. You know they prefer not to show sides.”

“So young Margo may be willing to take my Mark after I've subdued the Ministry and the hospital?”

“I think at that time she might be ready.”

“She does not take sides against me?”

“Of course not. It would compromise her with the Healers whom she wishes to join.”

“Perhaps it's for the best. Girls can be a bit foolish. Let her experience her boys and her romance, and let her come to me when she tires of it. Perhaps by then we will have brought the Healers to understand their position in our world. And Severus, be sure she gets over it. I've heard of her talents. I would hate to waste them on nothing more than a pure-blood marriage and children. Your grandchildren will be great, but I would prefer to allow your children to be great, first.”

“Yes, master.”

“How do you enjoy the services of Wormtail, Severus?”

“He has been helpful.” Severus couldn't quite keep a note of strain from his voice.

“He's been a damned nuisance, you wish to say. Never mind. I will have him moved, soon, and your wife can return to her home for the remainder of the summer.” Severus didn't show his relief at the news. Voldemort warmed to his topic. “Ah, soon the old fool will be out of the way and you will rise to your proper position. Potter will be eliminated after that. The world will fear us and Emily will take on the role I have intended for her. After so many years and so many plans, we will conquer Death itself. The name of Snape will become great, Severus, don't forget that.”

“I won't, master.”

The Dark Lord roused himself from his reverie. “I shall not be seeing you again before the school year begins. Keep your eyes out for ways to help young Malfoy and find out what you can about Dumbledore's activities. He's already moved Potter from his Aunt's house, I know, and will have him well protected by Aurors and Order members until he gets the boy to Hogwarts.”

“Yes, master.”

Lord Voldemort waved him away. Severus left before the next servant arrived. He was eager to find out how Emily had found the Headmaster. After several days of separation, he was simply eager to be with his wife.

The next servant to arrive was one of Voldemort's oldest helpers. “Nott, how kind of you to come. I would like to discuss your son, Theodore. What can you tell me of his friendship with Snape's daughter, Margo?”

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved