Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Lily's tears stopped as Severus held her, and she said into his shirt, "You didn't have to come up here."

"Nonsense," he murmured, giving her no room to argue. Smoothing down her slightly ruffled hair, he continued, "Before I came to you, though, I had a talk with Petunia."

Lily pulled away in shock and asked, "What?"

"I hadn't intended to," Severus said a little defensively. "It's just... Lily, I hate to see you practically in tears over this whole ordeal with your sister."

Lily nodded, understanding dawning. "Well, what did you say? Oh, Sev, I hope you didn't yell at her. Knowing Petunia, she'd only become more difficult to deal with."

"No, Lily, I did no such thing." He wondered if his temper had been so out of check in the past that she had jumped to that conclusion. "The conversation went remarkably well. I really think you two should talk, and I told her as much. She seemed to think she could never compare to you."

"Why didn't she just tell me that, then?" Lily questioned, both annoyed and saddened.

Severus was silent for a couple of minutes. There were many things about himself he didn't openly share with others, including Lily until recently. "People aren't always like you, Lily," he said gently. "You see the best in people. Petunia and I... we're not so optimistic. Bitter people, Lily, don't see the world like you do."

"I don't always see the world through rose-colored glasses, if that's what you're getting at, Sev," Lily countered.

"I didn't mean it as an insult," Severus replied, hoping she would calm down. He was trying especially hard not to let his hackles raise.

"I'm sorry," Lily sighed. "It's just been a long, emotionally-draining day."

Severus embraced her once again and kissed the top of her hand. "I know," he whispered, "but it will be over soon. We ought to head back downstairs before your parents wonder what happened to us, though."

Lily nodded, wiping any remaining traces of tears away. When they arrived downstairs, no one was at the dinner table. Hearing soft voices coming from the sitting room, Severus and Lily followed them. They found a weepy Petunia sitting on the couch, her parents on either side of her, comforting her.

"What happened?" Lily asked.

Mrs. Evans shook her head, returning her attention to Petunia.

Mr. Evans said brusquely, "That Vernon fellow decided to hightail it."

"He what?" Lily questioned incredulously. She immediately entered the room and kneeled in front of her sister, taking her hand. "Oh, Petunia, I'm so sorry."

Petunia, who was sobbing, didn't reply, but neither did she pull her hand away. Severus felt awkward left standing there alone, and watching the intimate family scene in front of him felt inappropriate.

"Thank you for dinner," he said. "I'll see myself out."

Lily's parents gave him half-hearted, appreciative smiles, and Lily turned her now watery gaze to him and gave him a nod, mouthing the words, "Thank you."

Not expecting Lily to leave her sister, Severus made his way down the hall and stepped outside. In the darkness, he headed toward home, every so often glancing back at Lily's house, hopeful there was healing taking place within those walls.

x x x x x

Some time later, long after Petunia's tears had dried up, she was sitting with Lily in her bedroom.

"If he left you at the first sign of what he saw as a problem," Lily was saying, "then he's not worth it."

Petunia shook her head. "Vernon seemed like a decent enough man, and I wasn't exactly being asked out by loads of blokes. He seemed as good as any, and I just latched onto him. When he asked me to marry him, I thought I'd finally gotten lucky."

"Finally?" Lily queried, her brow creased in perplexity.

"Yes, finally," Petunia nearly spat, then calmed some. "I'm not exactly like you in the looks department, Lily. I'm just lucky to get a guy, and now he's gone, all because, all because..."

"Because of me," Lily finished with a sigh. "And Severus, I suppose. Petunia, you know we can't help being magical any more than you can help not being so."

"Yes, I know that," Petunia said shortly, crossing her arms over her chest, "but that doesn't make any of this any easier."

"'This', as you call it, doesn't have to be so difficult, Petunia," Lily stated. "When we were kids, it caused us to go our separate ways, but that was years ago. In another year, I'll be out of school and entering the adult world, just like you have. Don't you think we ought to try to at least be civil toward each other?"

"I don't see how that will happen," Petunia argued. "You'll marry that Snape- er, Severus, and you two will disappear into that forbidden world of yours. I'll be left to take care of Mum and Dad as they get older, and I'll grow into an old maid myself. What a life to look forward to," she finished sardonically.

"Tuney," Lily said, resorting back to her sister's old nickname, unable to hold back the compassion, "you know that's not true. Just because that worthless Vernon up and left doesn't mean you'll be alone for the rest of your life. There are loads of single men out there."

Petunia only huffed, not convinced. Her shoulders drooped in defeat as she released a weary sigh. "It's late, Lily," was all she said.

Figuring there was no point in trying to convince Petunia right now that her life would go on, Lily stood and clapped Petunia briefly on the shoulder and offered her a weak smile.

"You'll believe me one day," she said. "I hope you'll let me still be in your life to tell you when to kick the guy to the curb or when he's worth keeping."

"You'll always be my sister, Lily," Petunia whispered when Lily was at the door.

Lily turned around, and Petunia returned Lily's earlier smile. It was feeble and perhaps a bit forced, but it was hopeful as well.

"Good night, Petunia," Lily said, closing the door.

She went down the hall to her room and headed for the bed, tired herself. A warm feeling suffused her insides as she drifted asleep that night. Perhaps all was not lost.

x x x x x

In the following days, Severus was pleased to hear daily reports from Lily about her improved relationship with her sister. It seemed that reconciliation was not so out of reach between someone as estranged as Petunia and Lily, which gave him hope that maybe one day he might have a restored relationship with his father, although there was a lot more baggage where Tobias Snape was concerned.

Severus hadn't seen his father in weeks now, which was beginning to grow concerning. At first, he had shrugged it off, believing that his father had simply spoken empty words like usual that night Severus had returned home, despite his desperation to seek his son's forgiveness. Now, however, Severus wondered if something had happened to the man.

One day at Lily's house, Severus decided to look through the Muggle telephone directory and find his father's new address. He found a Snape, Tobias listed at 319-G Becking Way, which was on the other side of town. Since he no longer had a telephone, he asked Lily if he might use hers to call the number listed next to the address.

"Of course," Lily easily agreed.

"Thanks," Severus murmured. He sought the phone and nervously dialed the number. After three rings, the operator's voice came over the phone, telling him the number was no longer in service.

Hanging up the phone, Severus felt a knot growing in the pit of his stomach. Something was wrong.

"Any luck?" Lily asked when he was back in the room with her.

Shaking his head, Severus replied, "No. The number has been disconnected."

"Maybe he's moved?" Lily posed. "Or he didn't pay his bill?"

"I need to find out," Severus stated. "I'm sorry, Lily... I've been thinking about him a lot lately, how odd that it is I haven't heard a word from him... I need to go to his place and see if he's still there."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Lily offered, following him to the door.

Severus stopped and turned to face her. He looked directly into her eyes, knowing she meant well, but said, "I'm sorry, Lily, but this is something I need to do on my own. I'll see you later tonight?"

She nodded, and he brushed a quick kiss on her lips before stepping outside. Severus wasted no time in seeking out the bus stop Lily and he had taken the previous summer when he had visited his mother. Within ten minutes, the bus came, and Severus got on, taking a seat at the back. The entire ride took upwards of a half an hour, what with all the stops between Severus's neighborhood and his destination. When he finally arrived at his stop, he quickly exited the bus and began he trek down the road, making a couple of turns until he came to a dumpy apartment building.

Glancing at the piece of paper with the address on it and back at the building, Severus confirmed he was at the right place and readied himself. He approached the rundown, old heap of bricks and glass and rang the buzzer to the correct number.

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved