Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


When Lily heard the news of what Severus had done to Sirius, she refused to believe it at first. Gossip was always a part of every day at school, but when she returned to the Gryffindor common room and found James, Lupin, and Pettigrew without Sirius, her fears were confirmed.

"Where's Black?" she asked, trying to sound casual, hoping against hope that he was simply out wreaking havoc somewhere.

"What? You didn't hear?" James questioned, aghast.

As Lily looked at him, his normally cheerful face was twisted into an angry expression. "I heard right, then," Lily murmured dejectedly.

"We can't even go visit Sirius!" James yelled. "And to think I was trying to be decent toward Snape the past few weeks," he scoffed. "Is this how he repays kindness, by almost murdering my best friend?"

"I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for it," Lily tried to reason, although she felt something in the pit of her stomach sinking.

Oh, Sev, what did you do? she thought hopelessly. She wanted to find him and hear from his own lips what had transpired, as she didn't think Severus would have done something so seemingly cruel for no reason.

"Well, I'd like to bloody well hear it," James insisted hotly. "Next time I see Snape, he'll pay."

"James, maybe Lily's right-" Lupin started to say, having been quiet until now.

"Listen to you two!" James exclaimed disgustedly. "I was almost taken in, too... feeling badly for the bastard because he'd just lost his mother."

Lily thought James might spit on the floor, but he didn't. She stubbornly refused to believe that Severus would have acted so harshly, even toward Sirius, without good reason. Unable to stand being near James a moment longer, Lily left the common room with a huff, intent on finding Severus and hearing his side of the story.

Back in the common room, James was continuing to vent about this apparent injustice.

"How can she just assume there's more to the story?" James demanded, looking at Lupin and Pettigrew for a legitimate answer.

"Well, he, uh..." Pettigrew stupidly stuttered.

Rolling his eyes, James snapped, "If you can't get it out of you, Peter, then you'd just as soon shut it. Well?" he asked, looking directly at Lupin.

"Look, mate," Lupin tried to reason. "You know Lily's very taken with Snape. I'm not defending what he did to Sirius, but you know how Sirius has been acting these past few weeks."

Frowning, James nodded. "Yeah, he's been distant. Ever since... ever since I tried to be decent toward Snivellus, Sirius hasn't liked it. Poor guy... he comes from a family full of Dark wizards, and I don't blame him for being upset. Snivelly used to hang around with his Slytherin cronies all the time, and I know he's had that big nose of his buried in books on the Dark Arts since he came to Hogwarts, but... I hate to admit it, he seemed to have improved lately. Maybe it's all just a ruse to get Lily to like him. If that's the case, I've got to talk some sense into her-"

"Don't you think Lily has enough sense to think for herself?" Lupin interrupted.

James scowled at his friend. "Say, you've been talking back a lot lately, Remus. Since when did you grow a backbone?"

Offended, Lupin replied, "Well, if that's how you feel about it, you can talk to Peter here. I'm sure he has a lot of great advice to offer up."

Lupin stalked away, leaving a nervous Pettigrew looking owlishly up at James.

"Did- did you need my help?" Pettigrew questioned stupidly.

"I've had enough help for one day, thanks," James said moodily, leaving the common room.

x x x x x

Severus was brooding in his room, wishing to be left alone. He was startled out of his reverie when a resounding series of demanding knocks issued forth from the door. Frowning, he wondered who could be bothering him. Thinking it to be Dumbledore, he went to the door and opened it a fraction.

Staring directly back at him were two fierce green eyes. Severus almost took a step back. He hadn't seen those eyes look so angry at him in a long time.

"Severus, we need to talk," Lily stated, no emotion evident in her controlled voice.

"Not now, Lily," Severus groaned tiredly. He wasn't in the mood to explain himself.

"Oh, I think now's the perfect time," Lily said pointedly, pushing the door open farther and then pushing herself rudely past Severus. She slammed the door behind her, and Severus did take a couple of steps back this time.

"What happened, Severus?" Lily demanded, her hands planted on her hips.

Severus noticed her use of his full name. Here it goes, he thought forlornly.

"Lily, listen, I-" he tried to say. He was reminded of his pathetic attempts at begging for her forgiveness in his past life after he had called her a Mudblood. "I-"

Severus couldn't speak. Feeling ashamed and fearful that he had lost her, Severus dropped to the bed, a weak sensation in his knees. He felt sick to the stomach.

"I heard what happened from everyone else in the school," Lily was saying, "but I want to hear it from you."

Severus shook his head miserably. "If you want to leave me, you can."

"What are you talking about, Severus?" Lily asked exasperatedly, thinking he meant she could leave the room.

"You know, if you want to leave me... for someone better," Severus barely uttered.

Lily's face fell, and she walked across the room, placing a hand on his face, gently forcing him to look at her. "Whatever it is, Sev, you can tell me," she said softly. "We've come too far. I'm not going to just abandon you at the first difficulty. Now, come on, tell me what Sirius did that caused you to hurt him so."

Severus noticed Lily's use of Black's first name, but didn't say anything otherwise. He thought his voice might betray him if he dared speak too quickly. How could she be so understanding? Her anger he had expected, but not her compassion.

"He was going on about my mum," he croaked. "Saying she was 'a digusting bitch' for even having me and that I must have killed her because she was so ashamed of me. He kept going on and on, and I didn't know what I was doing when I attacked... I lost control, Lily. I didn't mean for it to happen, but it did, so there's the story. I even healed him, but I suppose that part has been conveniently left out," he spat.

"I believe you," she said simply, "but, Sev, I heard you'd sliced him?"

"My own spell," he admitted.

There was a scared, apprehensive gleam in her eyes. Lily nodded slowly and backed away from Severus a little. "I know you didn't mean it, Sev, but that was still Dark Magic." Her voice was trembling, and Severus knew she was fearful of him, of what he could do.

"I thought you weren't going to leave," Severus said darkly.

"I'm not," Lily protested, "but I... Sev, I need some time."

Severus felt his heart give, and to make matters worse, she had the audacity to kiss him lightly on the forehead before she swept out of the room so swiftly, it was almost as if she thought he might attack her.

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved