Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter 16: Set in Motion

Lucius stared at the book that was in his hands. He had been trying to read for a while now, but the words had just blurred on the page. His thoughts were far away. They were back in Azkaban. After his imprisonment for the Ministry break-in, he had thought that the Dark Lord would break him out of his cell within the week. He had been sadly mistaken. His master had let him rot for almost a year before he had ‘arranged’ for his release.

But that was not punishment enough. He had returned to his own home to find it overrun by Death Eaters and Voldemort lording over all. Lucius had approached his master with humility. He knew that to be cocky at this point could mean his life. Nonetheless, the Dark Lord had punished him severely. He had spent three days in bed as an after effect of the Cruciatus curses that had been thrown at him.

And still the punishments continued. His beautiful wife had been taken by Voldemort and tortured as well. Her punishments had been left to her sadistic sister, Bellatrix. The woman had abandoned the Cruciatus curse and inflicted Narcissa’s punishment with a whip. She still had several scars across her back from the incident.

Draco had not escaped the Dark Lord’s wrath either. He had forced Draco to take the Dark Mark early and continually had sent him on missions that were dangerous, hoping that he would lose his life. Draco had somehow survived, but Lucius could see the fear in his son’s eyes. Draco had not envisioned the life of a Death Eater to be so gruesome and harsh. He was not cut out for such punishments.

And so, Lucius had defected. He had finally realized that Voldemort was insane. No matter what Lucius did, he would never be considered as an equal again. He had blown his chance, and the Dark Lord had cast him aside. Lucius had been shocked at how little the Dark Lord had valued him in the end.

A sudden realization had dawned on Lucius then. None of them held any worth in Voldemort’s eyes. To Voldemort, they were all just means to an end: his own pursuit of power. Voldemort cared little if any of them lived or died. He was just concerned with his rise to power.

Finally, Lucius had understood. He had seen what the world would become under Voldemort. Not even those by his side would be treated well. The entire world would be subjected to his vile temper and cruel punishments. Lucius realized that Voldemort had to be stopped.

He had gone to Dumbledore, the only man capable of defeating such a madman. Lucius had sat in Dumbledore’s office and had ticked off the things that had turned him away from the Dark Lord. Dumbledore had listened intently. Lucius hadn’t known what he was hoping for, but before he could even ask for asylum, Albus had asked if he would be willing to be a spy for him.

Lucius had almost panicked, but Albus had explained how he could succeed without the Dark Lord being aware of his duplicity. He spent a few days brushing up on his Occlumency, and suddenly, he was working against the creature he had thought could do no wrong. Never in his life would he have believed that he would become a spy to his own cause, but sometimes one couldn’t predict the future.

There was a knock at the door, and Lucius was brought back to the present. He called for Bree to enter. She opened the door and threw her backpack down near it. She went up to Lucius and looked at him. He had been reading at the dining room table. He looked over his glasses at her and became concerned.

“You’ve been crying,” he stated blandly.

“Yes,” she replied softly.

Lucius put the paper down and took his glasses off. “It will be alright, Bree. They will forgive you.”

Bree wrung her hands together. “No, they won’t. I’m doing something horrible.”

“You are doing it for the greater good,” Lucius consoled.

“At what cost, Lucius? Both of us are putting our lives on the line, for what?”

“Well, as for myself, I am doing this for my family. I finally realized that the Dark Lord would treat my family and me like slaves whether we were on his side or not.”

Bree shook her head. “I don’t know if it’s worth it, Lucius, I just don’t.”

“Do you really want the Dark Lord to prevail? He will treat everyone in our world much worse than he treats his poor Death Eaters. There will be no hope… no freedom… no life.” He stared at Bree as she sulked. “Bree, you need to get out of this funk or the whole plan will be compromised.”

Bree threw herself into the chair next to him and cradled her head in her hands.

“You’re right of course. What’s done is done, right?”

“This is about Severus, isn’t it,” he asked.

Bree nodded.

“You must forget about him completely. If the Dark Lord sees him in your mind, you could endanger his life as well as our own.”

She looked at Lucius in determination. “I will forget about him. I just want to wallow in self pity for a minute, okay?”

Lucius laughed. “Suit yourself, oh, miserable wretch of a woman. Let me know when you are able to get back to work.”

Despite herself, Bree chuckled. She felt a lightening of her sorrows with it.

“I suppose I am ready now. Why did you make me laugh so soon? You know I was having so much fun being miserable!”

“Misery will be for after phase two, I believe,” Lucius said, an intense look on his face.

“You’re right, of course,” Bree acquiesced. “It’s over. I’ll deal with it later.”

Lucius smiled at her. “Let’s get on with the plan. Have you decided to go with the Imperiused persona or the turn-coat/traitor persona?”

Bree smiled at him. “I think the Imperiused persona, as you put it, would be the better one. I would have a hard time pulling off the traitor part.”

“As an Auror, you have had training against the real Imperius curse, correct?”

“Yes, but we are also trained as to how to look Imperiused in case we need to gather information.”

“Hmm, that’s something I didn’t know about Ministry training.” He mulled over what she had said for a moment. “I tend to agree with you. The Dark Lord will be better convinced if he believes that I Imperio’d you instead of you pretending to be a traitor. You will also have to speak less if you are Imperiused, and we may even avoid a mind sweep.”

She arched an eyebrow at him.

“Here’s the story I came up with,” Lucius continued. “I came across you in Diagon Alley about two months ago. I took the opportunity to Imperius you, having remembered you from the battle. I used you to help me make the stone. You have had it with you at every Order meeting for the last month. When the Dark Lord examines it, he will find the magical force of the Order members permeating it. The rest of the plan is as it was described for you. I will convince Voldemort to hold it for safekeeping, and once he has it, he will be compelled to keep it anyway. I will encourage him to continue with his plans to attack Hogwarts. He will know that I will leak the information to the Order, and they will be there to fight. He will feel that with the stone, he will be invincible. Between now and the battle, he should be weak enough for Potter to kill him with even a Stupefy spell.”

“And Dumbledore will guide Harry in that way,” Bree said. “He already told Harry at the Order meeting to prepare to kill Voldemort.”

Lucius nodded. “Are you ready to proceed then?” he asked her.

She nodded to him. “Are we going now?”

“Yes, the Dark Lord is presently unoccupied. It would be best now, I think.”

Bree stood and looked at Lucius with determination. “Let’s go then.”

Lucius rose and led the way out of the flat.

oooOOOooo


A few minutes later they were standing in front of Voldemort. Bree had a somewhat vacant look on her face, and Lucius was explaining how he had Imperiused her. Voldemort sat back and listened to the whole tale. As Lucius explained about the enchanted stone a hungry look came into Voldemort’s eyes.

“So, you see, my Lord, the stone was enchanted to zap the defensive powers of the Order. It has done its job. They are unknowingly as weak as lambs.”

Voldemort sat forward in his chair and spoke.

“Do you have it with you?” he hissed.

Bree slowly put her hand in her pocket and held out the stone. She was surprised to feel it tug at her.

Voldemort’s eyes looked hungrily at the stone.

“Give it to me!” he demanded.

Bree hesitated and felt Lucius’ hand on her back.

“Give our Lord the stone, my pet,” he said in an hypnotic tone.

It took a bit of will power, but she finally held out her hand so Voldemort could grasp the stone. He grabbed it from her and held it in his hand.

“I can feel its power!” he cried.

He placed it on his desk and withdrew his wand. Waving it over the stone he smiled greedily.

“Yes, their magic is in it. I can even see Severus’ magic!” He cackled venomously at that revelation. “I guess we’ll have to keep him out of trouble for a while, eh, Lucius?” He became puzzled. “I would think that their magic would be more powerful than it is, though.”

“My Lord, if I can explain,” began Lucius. “The stone absorbs most of the power deeply. You are just scratching the surface of the magic withheld in the stone.”

Voldemort looked into Lucius’ eyes, searching for the truth. Seemingly convinced, he went on.

“Marvelous!” he exclaimed.

“Now, my Lord, when you attack Hogwarts, you can destroy the Order as well. I can let your plan be leaked, so they will be there to fight. They will be none the wiser that their powers are compromised. You will destroy them all!”

Voldemort threw his head back and laughed. “An excellent plan, Lucius! You have finally regained your worth in my eyes. Let the battle plans leak out. We will destroy all of our opposition at once!”

“Consider it done, my Lord! What would you have me do with the girl?”

Voldemort considered her with narrowed eyes. “Why, Lucius, I would consider her spoils of war. You may have her, and do what you will with her. I do insist that she remain in the Manor until we have defeated the Order.”

“Yes, my Lord. May I suggest, my Lord, that you keep the stone close to you? If it fell into the wrong hands, it could be disastrous. You should tell no one about it.”

Voldemort eyed the stone carefully. “There is nothing to fear here, Lucius. I am surrounded by faithful servants. However, caution is the best way to go. I will keep it on my person continuously until the battle.”

Lucius bowed low. “My Lord, your wisdom is great.”

“Yes, of course,” Voldemort said with a wave of his hand. “You may go. Report to me when you know that the Order is aware of our plans.”

“I shall, my Lord.”

Lucius motioned to Bree to follow him, and she blankly turned and trailed him out of the room. He closed the door behind him and led her to the library, where they could speak without being overheard.

“Well, that seemed to go well,” Bree said when the door was closed.

Lucius turned to her. “Yes, it did. Now we just have to wait.”

“So, what do I do?” she asked.

“You can have the third bedroom upstairs. Keep your eyes and ears open. I guess you’ll just have to lay low for a while, until the battle.”

“I just thought of something. What if Severus finds me?” she asked in horror.

Lucius pondered the problem for a moment.

“We’ll continue with the Imperiused ruse. Maybe he won’t be so mad at you.”

For the first time in hours, Bree smiled.


A/N: Next up: Lucius and Bree wait.

Thanks to Lilith Kayden for looking this over before submission. Kudos to Trickie Woo, who once again had most of this plot guessed way before it was posted. So, now the entire plan is revealed. Was it what you expected? How do you think Severus will react when he finds out what Bree has been doing?


A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved