Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter 15: Mr. Mirror

Later that night after she and Severus had sat by the fire for what seemed like hours, Bree extracted the mirror from her desk. Severus had only just left, and she had raced to her bedroom to contact her partner.

“Albus!” she cried into the mirror.

The old man’s face appeared after a minute. He was smiling benevolently at her.

“Did you feel anything tonight?” she asked him tentatively. “Could you feel any power draining from you? I think if anyone could, it would be you.”

“Bree, I felt nothing. If I hadn’t known that the stone was in your possession, I would have not suspected anything.”

“I couldn’t feel anything either, and the stone was in my pocket the whole time. It did pulse on its own. Do you think that will be a tip off?”

“No. He is so self-absorbed that he will not make anything of it. This will work Bree!”

“I hope you’re right, Albus.”

Bree looked at Dumbledore tentatively. “I must admit, it was hard to do that to my friends. You know, drain their magic like that.”

“Yes, I imagine it was, Bree. You always let things like that get to you. Don’t forget our ultimate goal. We cannot succeed unless you do what you’re doing. Everything must be foolproof.”

“I understand, sir. It’s just that I don’t like to be two faced like that.”

“Brianna, we have been over this a thousand times. You understand your role. There is nothing you can do to avoid being duplicitous.” Albus seemed to be slightly miffed at her constantly bemoaning her spy work.

“I’m sorry, Albus. I will try to be more hard-hearted from now on,” Bree retorted.

Albus softened. “No, I’m sorry, Bree. Your soft-heartedness is what makes you the effective Auror and wonderful person that you are. I wouldn’t have you change a thing.”

“Well, alright then,” Bree said with a small smile on her face.

Albus got back to business.

“You must implement phase two before the end of the week.”

Bree frowned. “So soon?” she asked.

“Yes. The sooner the better. In fact, if you can begin tomorrow, that would be the best.”

Bree mulled it over. This was it; the end of her life as she knew it. She supposed she should just plunge into it and be done with it. Yes, she would begin tomorrow.

She looked determinedly at Dumbledore. “Tell Lucius that I will meet him at the flat tomorrow at eleven a.m. We will begin tomorrow.”

Dumbledore grinned at her. “That’s my girl,” he offered. “I’ll pass the word along. Try and get some sleep tonight, Bree.”

Bree huffed at him and bid him goodnight. She returned the mirror to its place, although she didn’t know why she did. It wouldn’t be there very long. Although it was late, she understood that there was no time like the present to begin. She knew she would get no sleep tonight, or at least very little.

Going to her closet, she brought out a duffle bag and began shrinking all of her things into it. After about an hour everything except her nightgown, a quill and parchment, and a change of clothes remained outside of the duffel. She went over to her desk and picked up the quill. She poised with it at the top of the paper and scrawled the name Severus on top of it. She frowned down at the parchment. She didn’t know what to write.

Severus,

I’m sorry to have to write this to you.


She frowned and vanished what she had written.

Severus,

I hope that you can understand what I am about to do.


She vanished that one too.

She looked up, not really seeing anything, trying to find the words that would convey what she felt. It was many hours later that she finally signed her name and folded the parchment, leaving it on the desk for Severus to find when he came to call.

oooOOOooo


Bree had gotten a little sleep despite going to bed very late and tossing and turning for most of the night. Her mind wouldn’t shut off. She went over the plan in her head perhaps a dozen times. She worried about what everyone would think when they found her gone. She obsessed about Severus. She tried to remember every little thing that had happened between the two of them, running them through her mind, so as to never forget. It was during those good memories that she had finally fallen into a fitful sleep.

Now it was morning, and time to go. Bree gathered up her backpack and slipped the mirror into her pocket with the stone. She patted them both as she looked around the bedroom for the very last time. Wandering over to the desk, she made sure that the letter for Severus was still propped up on it. She traced a finger over the crease, as if to say goodbye to him one last time. Looking at it sadly, she said a silent farewell and made her way to the door.

Turning back, she took one last look at the bedroom where she had spent the last few months. It had been the happiest she had been in a long time. She wished it could last longer. She sighed and closed the door, leaving her past behind her.

oooOOOooo


Severus entered Grimmauld Place that night and rushed to the study. Brianna wasn’t there. He crossed over to the kitchen, but she wasn’t there either. Perhaps she was in her room? She usually waited for him downstairs, but maybe something had kept her up there. He took the stairs two at a time and knocked on the door. When he heard no answer, he slowly opened it and peered in. His eyes grew wide, and he swung the door open completely. The room was empty. Everything that had been Brianna’s was gone.

“Kreacher!” he called.

The house-elf seemed to appear out of nowhere.

“You summoned me, Master Snape?” he drawled.

“What has happened to Brianna?” Severus asked with a worried expression.

“Oh, she’s gone.” Kreacher said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Gone? Gone where?”

“I don’t know sir. Perhaps she has told you in the letter she left on the table.” The small elf pointed to the table where the note sat propped up.

Severus regarded it nervously. “Thank you, Kreacher, that will be all,” he said absently as he crossed the room and pondered the folded parchment with his name on it. He frowned as he reached out and picked it up. He unfolded it and read it, his expression getting grimmer with every passing second.

Severus,

I am sorry, but I must leave. I cannot tell you where I am going, and I know not how long I will be gone, but I hope to return to you someday.

Please do not think that this is about you. It is not. I love you, my dearest, and always will. I hope that someday we will be able to be in each other’s arms again. I will contact you when I can.

Yours forever,

Brianna


He reread the note three times before he crumpled it up and threw it on the ground. He looked around the room, searching for some clue as to where she had gone, but she had been impeccable in her cleaning. There were no clues. He went over to the bed and sat down heavily.

Her note had explained nothing. Why would she just pick up and leave without discussing this with him? He thought they’d had something special. How could she just disappear with nothing more than a letter to him? He felt hot tears welling up in his eyes and fought to control himself. He would not cry for her. She had deserted him, and he would not cry.

Crying was for people who cared. He did not care. Whenever he cared, he was punished somehow. Caring brought pain. He would not, did not care for Brianna Corwin. She had used him.

Something in the back of his mind nagged at him. She said in the letter that this wasn’t about you. She loves you. She will return. She said she would.

Severus made his hands into fists and pounded his legs. What had happened? What had he done wrong? He thought she had loved him.

She does

Then why had she left him?

She has a good reason, trust her.

How could he trust her when she hadn’t even confided in him why she had left? She obviously didn’t trust him!

The tears that had been threatening to come burst out. Severus threw himself back on the bed and covered his face with his hands. He rolled over on the bed and could smell her perfume on the sheets. He grasped them in his hands and rubbed them across his tear stained face, wiping the tears away and breathing in the heady smell of her. Roses assaulted his nostrils, and he pictured her in his mind. He groaned in agony at his loss. Where was she? When would she return? Then the real question came: How could he live without her? He had given himself to her completely, and she had run off with his heart. How could he go on? He was nothing without her.

He continued to cry and cradle the sheets next to him, a million questions racing through his head. After a long while, he fell asleep, his head buried in her pillow, wishing she were near him.


A/N: Next up: The plan is fully revealed.

Major thanks to Lilith Kayden, who looked this over while sick.

So what do you all think? Hat’s off to Trickie Woo for having pegged Mr. Mirror from the start, among other things. Thank heavens for the others of you reviewing this or I would have felt incredibly transparent! Heh, heh. You can probably figure out by now what exactly Bree and Lucius are doing, so let’s hear it. Thank you all for your support and for reading. Oh, I almost forgot! Mwahahaha





A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved