Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Athena by singleDouT [Reviews - 3]

>>

Would you like to submit a review?




The sun shone through the windows of the Hogwarts Express as it chugged along over the green hills. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had a cabin to themselves, and were talking about what the year would be like. They wondered who would be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Also, there had been a rumor spreading around the train that the old Muggle Studies professor finally resigned. No one knew if this was true.

"Do you want my Chocolate Frog card?" Harry asked Ron as he opened the blue package.

"Only if it’s Agrippa; I still haven’t got her." Harry opened the package, and to his amazement, he saw Agrippa! He reluctantly handed it over to an equally surprised and ever-thankful Ron.

"Well," said Hermione as she stumbled into the cabin, "I've just checked with the conductor. He said we should be arriving soon."

"Good; maybe we’ll be able to see the Sorting Ceremony this year. We didn’t see it for two years in a row,” Ron said sulkily.

The train pulled into Hogsmeade Station, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed the other sixth years to the thestral-drawn carriages. The students then traveled down the long path to Hogwarts. Once inside, they sat at the Gryffindor table and watched the first years file nervously past them. Not far down the table, Harry could see Colin Creevey and his little brother Dennis squirming in their seats with delight. Every time a person was sorted into Gryffindor, they would crane their necks and wave. This didn’t calm down the first years much.

Harry looked up at the teacher’s desk to see if he could spot the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He saw two new faces: One was sitting next to Professor McGonagall, and the other was talking intensely to Professor Snape. Harry remembered the rumor he heard on the train about a new Muggle Studies professor. He wondered which would be which. They were both women with upswept hair, but of different ages. The elderly one next to Professor McGonagall had grey hair rolled neatly in a bun. She was wearing deep purple robes with gold trimmings. The younger lady also had her hair pulled into a bun, but more carelessly. Little curly wisps of hair were falling down her neck and cheeks. She was wearing scarlet robes with silver trimmings.

"Students, now that our feast is over,” called out Professor Dumbledore over the mass of young witches and wizards, "you will be making your way back to your common rooms. But first, I would like to introduce our two new teachers: Professor Evelyn Hanners and Professor Athena McGonagall." Both stood and smiled then sat back down. There was a bit of a whispering among the students when they heard the name ‘McGonagall.’

Hermione leaned over and said, "She must be related to Professor McGonagall." Both Harry and Ron nodded in agreement.

* * * * *

Back in the common room, students were eagerly discussing their new teachers. Fred and George Weasley had went about spreading rumors that Professor Hanners was previously a teacher at Hogwarts and was fired but returned to take her anger with former Headmaster Dippet out on Dumbledore. Most of the younger students believed this, including Colin and Dennis Creevey.

At around midnight, everyone went to their beds. The next morning, Ron, Harry, and Hermione descended the moving staircases and entered the Great Hall to have breakfast. Schedules were being handed out, and when Ron and Harry saw theirs, they both gave expressions of confusion.

"Harry," Ron asked, "are you signed up for Muggle Studies?"

"Yeah, but I didn’t ask for it."

"Oh, it’s supposed to be there," Hermione said. "It’s now a required class, but only for one year. Professor McGonagall told me last night. She wanted to know if I would be willing to take it again. You know, since I’ve already taken it. Of course I said yes, because I can always use more classes!"

Both Ron and Harry rolled their eyes at the same time. Muggle Studies was their first class of the day, and it was with the Slytherins.

As they walked into the classroom, Harry, Ron, and Hermione took seats in the front of the room. There were Muggle posters pasted all over. Many students were interested in them, and they tapped them with their wands to make them move.

The bell rang, and everyone took their seats. The door opened in the back, and the new teacher stepped in. It was Professor McGonagall. She was wearing light blue robes, and her black, curly hair was up in a bun. She smiled and introduced herself, then spotted the moving posters.

"Oh, no!" she exclaimed as she ran over and tapped them with her wand. The people stopped moving. "Please do not mess with my posters; they are supposed to be like this. This is how Muggle posters are.” Harry looked back to see Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle snicker.

"Today I’ll just explain a few of the Muggle things, but tomorrow we will start with games." As the lesson progressed, everyone listened intently. Professor McGonagall seemed to know a lot about Muggles.

* * * * *

Athena by singleDouT [Reviews - 3]

>>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved