Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter 8: Death Eater Meeting

The week went by quickly once again. Bree and Remus saw a lot of each other, but something seemed to have changed. Remus seemed to be preoccupied when they were together, and when they were apart, he didn’t send little notes like he had been doing in the past. Bree hoped it was because of what she had seen between Tonks and him. Life would be so much easier if he slowly fell in love with the young witch.

“So, how are things going with the werewolves?” Bree asked Remus.

Remus was sitting at the table, staring off into space and totally ignored her. They had just finished a light dinner at his apartment and were getting ready to Apparate to an Order meeting.

“Remus?”

“Hmm?” he said quickly as he looked up at her.

“I asked about the werewolves, Remus. Are any more accepting you?”

“Oh! Right! Um, well, things are about the same. I have a group of about ten who are willing to fight against Voldemort. They are working on drawing more to our group, but the work is slow. Most of the other werewolves are very angry with the way they have been treated. With Voldemort’s promises of equality, they are willing to follow him without question.”

“Don’t they realize Voldemort would say anything to get them to fight with him?”

“I think they’re so angry, they don’t even care. Even the idea of change is enough to make them sell their souls to the highest bidder.”

Bree nodded silently. “So, what more can you do?”

“Well, I can keep meeting with the group I have. Our numbers have grown slowly, but they have grown. One by one we get new people willing to help out.”

“You must be frustrated to no end, Remus,” Bree said as she rubbed his hand.

Remus took her hand in his and squeezed it. “It’s alright. We all knew this would be a difficult assignment. I can only hope that when the time comes, those whom I have been in contact with will help. We need everyone we can get in this fight.”

Bree released Remus’ hand, stood up, and sat down again in his lap. She put her arms around him and pulled him close. She kissed him lightly on the lips. Even this kiss seemed to be more muted from him than the ones he had been giving her before. Strangely, her heart leapt at that revelation.

“Are you ready for the meeting tonight?” she asked Remus.

“Yes. I suppose we should get going, huh?” he asked her as he stroked her cheek.

“Probably. We ought not keep Dumbledore waiting. He may throw lemon drops at us or socks or something.”

Remus smiled at her. They both got up and left the small apartment, heading for the meeting.

oooOOOooo


At the Order meeting all was status quo, except for the fact that Severus wasn’t there. Bree secretly breathed a sigh of relief. She had been nervous about seeing him again. She learned that he was at a Death Eater meeting with Voldemort. That worried her immensely, so after dinner she decided to retire to the study as she had the few weeks past, even though she knew that Severus would not be there.

oooOOOooo


Severus listened to the ravings of the madman before him. Voldemort outlined his plan, grinning all the while. It would be devastating if it went off without a hitch. Of course, Severus would be sure to put a hitch into it. He snapped up his walls as the Dark Lord’s evil red eyes fell on him.

“What is the Order up to, Severus?”

Severus adopted a bored expression. “They train and talk about you. They are clueless as to your movements, My Lord. They wish they were half as cunning as you are.”

“And Potter? What part does he play in the Order?”

Severus rolled his eyes. “The buffoon pretends to know what everyone is talking about. I’m surprised he can even lift his wand, he is such a dullard.”

“Why have you not brought him to me?”

“My Lord, he is always at Hogwarts. His seventh year studies keep him cloistered in his common room more so than ever. Dumbledore watches him like a hawk. He even escorts Potter and his two friends with him to the Order meetings, so that no harm will come to any of them. I have tried, My Lord! The boy is untouchable while under Dumbledore’s wing.”

Voldemort grimaced at Severus. “Surely, there has been an opportunity to abduct him!”

“My Lord, I swear, whenever he is outside of his common room, he is accompanied by Dumbledore. The old geezer even accompanies him in between classes.”

Voldemort screamed in fury. “What is the use of my having a spy at Hogwarts if that spy is worthless?!”

Voldemort raised his wand and shot a Cruciatus curse at Severus. Severus sunk to his knees and bit his cheek to still the scream from leaving his lips.

“Get up!” Voldemort demanded.

Severus rose from his kneeling position, grimacing at the pain coursing through his body.

“Come to the center of the circle!” Voldemort ordered.

Severus reluctantly did as he was told.

Voldemort sneered at him. “Now you will see what your inability of action has wrought.”

He nodded at his Death Eaters and raised his wand, sending another Cruciatus curse, in tandem with his men, straight at Severus. Voldemort’s grin was etched in Severus’ mind as he fell to the ground, unable to hold back the screams.

oooOOOooo


Of course the study was empty when Bree peeked in, and she spent a while sitting on the hearth rug simply staring into the fire and thinking about the two men in her life. She knew that Remus would probably be alone again with Tonks. She smiled to herself. She liked the witch. She was lively and vibrant. She felt the two of them were well suited. Bree could tell that Tonks had feelings for Remus. She had noticed her glancing over at the two of them covertly during the meeting. The girl was trying to be secretive, but Bree’s training alerted her to most things going on in the room, including clandestine glances from an admirer of her boyfriend.

She marveled at how things had changed so quickly. It had only been a couple of weeks before that Remus was announcing his love for her. Perhaps he had been hoping they had something that wasn’t there. Bree had known from the start that it wasn’t there, but sometimes it took people a little while to realize that. She was glad that Tonks was helping him figure that out. She really wanted Remus to be happy.

Then there was Severus. Just thinking of him made her insides tense up. He was someone to whom she felt she could lose herself completely. He was handsome, intelligent, and witty. Those were the three things she admired most of all in a man. He was severely complicating her life! Her mission was hard enough, but now it was being complicated by her attraction to the tall, dark, mystery-man named Severus Snape.

As she thought his name, the door opened, and in came the man himself. He closed the door and then leaned against it heavily, uttering a moan. Bree stared, open-mouthed, at him as he slowly sunk to the floor. She quickly got up and was next to him in a flash.

“Severus, are you alright?” she asked in concern.

Severus looked up at her with vacant eyes. “Cruciatus curse,” he managed to whisper.

“Let me help you.” Bree helped him up and supported him as she led him to the couch. She eased him down and helped him to lie down onto it.

Severus grasped her arm and started stuttering. “Potion… in the cabinet.” His eyes shot over to a small white cabinet that was hung on the wall.

Bree raced over to it and opened the doors. There were several bottles of the same potion lined up on one of the shelves. She grabbed one of the vials of Strengthening Solution and rushed back to Severus. She unstopped the bottle and held his head up so he could drink it. When it had been finished completely, she eased his head back down. Grasping his hand she looked at him in apprehension as she waited for the potion to take effect.

Severus laid there with his eyes closed for some time before his breathing started to become regular, and he seemed to relax. Slowly he opened his eyes and looked over at Bree. She was still holding his hand, and he squeezed it a little bit.

“Thank you,” he muttered. His voice was still a bit weak.

She smiled brightly at him. “I’m glad I was here to help,” she answered.

“You should go,” he told her.

She harrumphed at him. “I’m not going anywhere until I’m sure that you’re okay, alright? I don’t want any argument from you either, you stubborn man.”

He cracked a smile at that.

“Seeing that you’re still alive, I assume that your meeting with Voldie went well?”

“Voldie?”

“What’s the point of having an arch nemesis if you can’t mess with his name?”

Severus chuckled, but then winced in pain.

“Oh, I’m sorry! I shouldn’t joke while you’re recuperating,” Bree cried.

Severus put his hand on her arm.

“It’s alright, Brianna.”

Bree searched Severus’ face. “What can I do for you?”

“I just need to rest,” he replied.

“Do you want me to hunt up a Sleeping Draught?” she asked.

“They’re in the other cabinet,” he said, pointing with his free hand.

She glanced over at the cabinet. “Always prepared?” she
queried.

“Constant vigilance,” he deadpanned.

She laughed, recognizing Moody’s well known saying. She rose and went over to the other cabinet. Pulling one of the potion bottles from it, she returned to Severus and helped him take it.

Frowning a bit, she said, “I know it’s probably a bit late to ask you this, but would you like me to help you up to one of the bedrooms?”

Severus shook his head. He was already beginning to feel drowsy. Bree extracted her wand and transfigured the couch into a bed. Severus’ eyes turned to her in question.

“Well, it would be hard to get comfortable on that couch,” she explained.

“Thank you,” he muttered again before falling asleep.

Bree went over to him and stroked his hair as he slept.

“You’re welcome,” she said and kissed his forehead.

She got up and pulled a chair over near the bed and situated herself into it. She would keep watch on him all night if she had to.

A little later the door opened, and Remus entered. He was surprised to see Severus back from his meeting so soon, and then was concerned by his being in a bed in the study. He went quickly over to the pair and asked Bree what had happened. She quietly relayed the events of the evening, and Remus looked at Severus with concern.

“He should be alright once he sleeps it off,” Bree told him.
Remus nodded. “We should be going, Bree, it’s awfully late.”

“Remus, I’m going to stay here with him tonight. I’ll go back in the morning.”

“Kreacher can care for him, Bree, let’s just go.”

Bree snapped her head around and glared at him. “I’ll not leave him by himself in this state. I will stay, and if he wakes in the night, I will tend to him.”

Remus regarded her thoughtfully for a while. He decided not to argue with her.

“Alright, Bree. I won’t be able to see you tomorrow; I have an important meeting with some of the werewolves in the evening. Let’s plan on getting together for dinner on Tuesday at my place.”

Bree smiled up at him. “It’s a date,” she told him.

Remus bent down and kissed her cheek. “Try to get some rest, will you?” he advised.

“I will, dear. Travel back safely.”

“You too.” With that he turned and strode out of the room.

Brianna settled herself into the chair and Accio’d a blanket. She curled up and went to sleep.

oooOOOooo


She didn’t know how long she had been sleeping when she heard it. Her eyes snapped open, and she looked around, trying to remember where she was. Whose house was this? She noted many white bookcases surrounding the walls of the room. It looked like the study in Grimmauld Place, but what was she doing here? Finally the events of the night before came flooding back to her in a rush. She glanced over and saw what had awakened her. Severus was thrashing in the bed, moaning. He was obviously having a nightmare. She wondered whether she should try to wake him.

She got up from her chair and sat on the bed. She placed a hand on Severus’ arm, but he continued to thrash and moan. She bent down closer to him and whispered into his ear that everything was alright and that it was just a dream. He seemed to calm a bit, but continued moving around and moaning slightly. Finally, Bree laid down next to him and held him close to her. She murmured into his ear for a while until his body relaxed, and he stopped thrashing about. He moved in even closer to her and rested his head on her shoulder, sleeping soundly again. Bree dared not move for fear of waking him.

She nuzzled her chin into the top of his head. Although limp and lifeless from afar, his hair felt soft and silky underneath her. She breathed in its scent. It smelled of Aspen, and it made her think of the snowy peaks of Colorado, where she would enjoy holidays skiing and cavorting in the snow. She inhaled deeply and felt herself drift off to sleep, dreaming of snow covered mountains and icy wind in her face.

oooOOOooo


Severus opened his eyes and looked around. It seemed to be early morning as sunlight was streaming through the windows in the room. He tried to move, but was constrained by something. Looking to his left, he saw that that something was Brianna Corwin. She had her arms wrapped around him, and her body was pushed up against his. He had to admit, it was a pleasant sensation waking up in her arms, but what was she doing in bed with him? She moved ever so slightly, and he took the opportunity to try to awaken her.

“Brianna,” he whispered into her ear.

She mumbled something and snuggled in closer to him, eliciting a smile from his lips.

“Brianna, wake up.”

“Sleeping,” she muttered.

“I know, but you must wake up. I’m losing feeling in my arm.”

Bree’s eyes snapped open, and she looked over at Severus in astonishment. She pulled herself from him and sat up.

“Oh, crap!” she exclaimed.

“Oh, crap?” Severus inquired.

“I fell asleep.”

“I can see that. Why were you wrapped around me like a blanket?”

Bree looked down at him in embarrassment. She got up and sat in the chair.

“I’m sorry. You were having a nightmare last night, and I got into the bed to comfort you. I must have fallen asleep.”

Severus wracked his brain, trying to remember having a nightmare, but he had no recollection of it. He noted her intense embarrassment and decided to have some fun.

“I have no recollection of any nightmare,” he said, looking at her suspiciously. “Did you try to take advantage of me last night?”

Bree looked at him with wide eyes. “Of course not! How could you think such a thing?”

Severus sat up, barely able to keep from laughing. “You practically kissed me, that’s why!”

Bree stared at him in horror. Was she really that far gone about him? Had she subconsciously attacked him in the night?

Severus started to laugh. It began as a chuckle under his breath, but before long it had turned into a loud guffaw. He gasped for breath and laughed some more. Bree could only look at him with narrowed eyes.

“Oh, you should see your face!” Severus exclaimed. “I wish I had a camera.”

Realizing she had been the butt of one of his jokes, she began to growl. Severus stopped laughing for a minute and looked at her quizzically. She growled louder and suddenly came up out of her chair and attacked him. Using her full body weight, she threw him back down on the bed and straddled him.

“I almost kissed you, did I?” she asked.

“Well, um…”

“I’ll show you almost kissing, Severus Snape!” She bent down and planted a kiss on his forehead, then his cheek, and then his other cheek. She paused over his mouth, descending low enough for him to feel the presence of her lips, but not the pressure of them. Bree hesitated over him for a few seconds before withdrawing. She straightened back up and looked down on him slyly.

Severus only stared back up at her, unable to breathe. He had almost closed the few millimeters between the two of them as she hovered over his lips. His body was screaming at him to do something about her seductive actions. He was tempted to pull her to him and kiss her wildly. No, he couldn’t do that. He wouldn’t move in on another man’s woman. Unfortunately, she had awakened something in him with her playfully teasing kisses. His entire body was on fire. The realization of his feelings for her shot through his mind. He was in serious trouble.

“I stayed here to make sure you were alright last night, and all you can do is make fun of me?” she cried and began shaking his shoulders.

Severus could only look up at her with fear in his eyes.

“How dare you, you ungrateful git!”

She was still shaking him, and it was rattling his brain.

“Brianna! Please stop, you’re giving me a headache!”

She stopped, but regarded him with narrowed eyes. Straightening up, she gracefully extricated herself from him and the bed. She smoothed out her robes and straightened her hair.

“Well, I can see that you are recovered, Mr. Snape, so I shall take my leave of you.”

Bree turned and started for the door. Almost too late, Severus realized she was really leaving.

“Thank you, Brianna,” he said solemnly.

She stopped and turned to look back at him. She relaxed when she saw he had become serious and was no longer threatening to tease her.

“You’re welcome, Severus. I’ll see you next week.”

And with that she left. Severus felt a small pang in his chest at her departure. It had felt so nice waking up with her beside him. Too bad he couldn’t feel that every morning.

She’s not yours, Severus. Back off or you’ll get your heart broken, he told himself. Sighing, he rose from the bed and returned it to its former state as a couch. Leaving the room, he realized it was already too late to save his heart. It already belonged to Brianna Corwin.


A/N: Next up: The Order finds out about Voldemort's plan.

Thanks again for reading and reviewing. Press the button, you know you want to. Go ahead, indulge yourself! Oh, yes, a big bow to my beta: Lilith Kayden!


A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved