Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Their favorite time of day was after dinner when they spread their books out on the kitchen table and studied together as they had at school and during their weekly dinners. There was a difference in that they often looked at each other, held each other's hands, and sometimes they took long breaks so that they could kiss or even forget their studies entirely.

During the weeks that Emily worked other shifts, Severus still found a way to walk her to work most days. The juggled the meals they ate together and still found ways to spend time together. Emily often came home more tired on those occasions, as Death Eater attacks tended to happen more often at night. Her favorite moment on such nights and early mornings was when she went to the employee entrance and saw her husband waiting for her.

The mothers kept out of the newlyweds' way as much as possible. They both insisted on examining Emily thoroughly and discussed their thoughts on the pregnancy and on the delivery of the baby. They gave many directions to the expectant mother, and frightened her half to death with their admonitions. Severus and Emily suspected that their mothers were communicating behind their backs, too, planning a future for their grandchild.

News of the Snape/Smith wedding got around the Wizarding world and brought a few interesting reactions among friends and acquaintances. Immediately after their honeymoon they read through many letters and notes sent by friends and acquaintances, including those who had been guests. Emily noticed that Severus took the one from Lily Potter and put it in the drawer of his night stand. Severus suspected that the one Emily read and turned to ash with a flick of her wand might have been from Sirius Black.

One night a few months after their marriage, Emily came home late and heard voices in the sitting room. Severus was speaking to someone and if she knew the tone of his voice at all, her husband wasn't completely happy. She quietly walked through the entry and stood in the doorway.

“Ah, and this must be the lady of the house.” She recognized a former Slytherin Prefect.

“Emily, this is Lucius Malfoy. He was one of my Prefects when we first went to Hogwarts.”

Emily nodded her head and held out her hand. “I'm pleased to meet you, Mr. Malfoy.”

“Please, my dear, we're practically family. Call me Lucius.” He pulled her into a hug that was a bit tight to be considered quite proper. He smelled of alcohol and cigars.

When Lucius finally released her, Severus pulled her to his side and whispered, “Your dinner is in the kitchen. Go eat.”

“Gentlemen, if you will excuse me,” Emily said, slipping into the kitchen.

Severus gestured to his guest to sit and offered him firewhiskey.

“Lucius, we've exchanged enough small talk and I would like to spend a quiet evening with my wife. What brings you here?”

“You've snatched a good one out from under the noses of everyone, Severus. Pure blood, quite shapely, and am I mistaken or have you started on the next generation?”

“I don't see that it's any of your business.”

“It's the Dark Lord's business, Severus. It hasn't escaped his attention that for several years a promising young wizard, powerful in the dark arts, was meeting and working with a certain group at Hogwarts and then suddenly stopped coming to those meetings over the summer. It didn't escape his notice that you were expected to join the Death Eaters almost two years ago and then for one reason or another put it off until now it seems entirely unlikely.”

“Perhaps I changed my mind.”

“Can you really afford to do that? With all you now have to lose?”

“Are you threatening me?”

“I am merely suggesting that you re-think your options.”

“I fail to see how I could be of such interest to your master. Surely there are other wizards and witches who can be just as powerful as I.”

“He wants you, and he will find a way to force your hand.”

“I do not think I can, Lucius. I made an arrangement of sorts with my wife, and I think it is binding.” Severus sounded tired. “Was there anything else?”

“Your past actions indicated a willingness and people interpreted those actions to be a commitment, Severus. Just remember. Think on it, but don't wait forever.”

“Thank you, Lucius, I appreciate the warning.”

The door opened and closed and Emily heard nothing else. Washing the dishes from their meal and putting them away, she went out to the sitting room and found him sitting on the couch, staring at the fire. Emily knelt down in front of him. “I should never have forced you to take that deal.”

“Get off the floor, Emily,” he said, pulling her onto the couch next to him. He was clearly thinking hard. “Fancy Black better after all, then?”

Her eyes grew wide until she realized he was teasing her.

“No, I fancy you much more than him.”

“You regret being married to me, and the baby.”

“Oh, no, this is just right.” She looked into his face. It seemed blank, but she could see worry around the edges of his eyes. “Severus, I thought I was keeping you from danger. I never dreamed I would force you into worse danger. I release you from the pact, Severus.”

“You cannot do that. I've done some reading on the sort of deal we made. It is binding for life, for both of our lives, Emily. Even if you die, I am still bound to it. I dare not even attempt it. It would be like breaking an Unbreakable Vow.”

“There was no Bonder.”

He pulled her into his lap and then put his hand over her tummy. “Unless this child within you is a squib, I think there actually was.”

Emily suddenly saw it. She looked at Severus in surprise and dismay. He nodded.

“We felt the magic that ran between us that night. We made some sort of Unbreakable Vow.”

She put her hands over her face. “Now they're threatening you if you don't join them. I've put you in grave danger. Why did I never think it through or research it? What a silly, schoolgirl stunt. Severus, I just didn't want you to go over to them. You are my best friend in the whole world and I wanted you safe.”

“Emily, you were playing for the highest of stakes even if you didn't realize it. This is a life or death situation and we need to recognize it for what it is. My fear is that if they really want me so badly, they will not hesitate to kill you and force me to turn to them. Emily, I would have died anyway, and lost my soul in the bargain. I am better off for it, if you are not.”

“Can't you explain it to them?”

“I told Lucius that there is an arrangement, but not the nature of it.”

“What shall we do?”

“We have to be careful. There are certain spells for protecting homes...” He grabbed her head in his hands and kissed her fiercely. “And, Emily, you didn't force me to do anything. I was a more than willing participant.”

Emily returned her husband's kisses and pressed against him. She made love to him then and there, hoping he would decide that their arrangement was not too costly. Once he understood what she was doing, he was again a willing participant.

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved