Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Chapter 6: Post Dinner Chat

Dinner had been a lot of fun. Bree had been peppered with questions and had answered as best as she could. She had also learned quite a bit about each of the members surrounding the table. They had all seemed like very decent people. The most startling revelation she had learned about any of them was that Albus Dumbledore had a penchant for socks. She had laughed heartily at that admission. The old wizard had quite the sense of humor.

She had especially liked the Weasley twins, Minerva McGonagall, and Harry Potter. The whole group had all chatted amiably as the meal was finished. It had seemed like everyone had been more than willing to hang around the table just talking about normal everyday topics. Bree had drunk in the chatter and had joined in on occasion, getting to know her new found ‘friends’ a little better.

Bree excused herself after a while. Snape had not joined them, and she was wondering whether he was still in the house. She noticed a dim light coming from the study. Cracking the door open, she saw him sitting in a chair in front of the fire. She quietly entered the room and approached him. She pulled another chair up next to his and sat down.

“Not much for socializing, Severus?” she asked.

“No, I’m not a people person. I was enjoying my solitude, actually,” he snapped.

“Are you trying to give me a hint?” she retorted.

He glared at her. “That’s exactly what I’m doing.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I’m really not that good at taking hints.”

His brow furrowed as he regarded her nastily. What was this woman up to?

She looked directly at him. “Look, I would like to get to know you a little better. After all, we are going to be working rather closely at times.”

He heaved a sigh. Bree was surprised he didn’t just get up and storm out, he looked so put out. She took that as a good sign.

“So what’s your story?” she asked him directly.

“I am a Death Eater,” he stated blandly.

She chuckled. “You’re not one for beating around the bush are you?” she responded.

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow. “As it would seem, neither are you.”

“Touché,” she retorted. “Okay, I’ll go first. I was born in London and had a brother two years older than me.”

Severus studied her thoughtfully. “What happened with your family,” he finally asked.

Bree sighed. “They were vocal opponents of Voldemort. One night, when I was home for a visit, I came back from dinner with a friend to find the Dark Mark hanging over my house. When I went in, I found my parents and my brother murdered. That was about six months ago. Even though the Ministry cleaned up everything, I couldn’t bring myself to enter the house again. I sold it, quit my job, and moved to Harrington. My brother had spent several years there and had always spoken fondly of it. I decided to relocate to a place where there were memories associated with my family, but not ones that I would remember per se.”

The story that she had now told twice was actually mostly truthful. Her family had been killed by Death Eaters. The only discrepancy with the story is that it had happened when she was at the tender age of 17 and still in school.

It had also been true that she could never enter her old home again. Every time she had neared it she had been filled with anxiety to the point that she would hyperventilate. She had quickly made arrangements to sell the house and everything in it. With the proceeds she had built a new life for herself.

Her family’s deaths were what had prompted her to become an Auror. She had wanted to spend the rest of her life hunting down Death Eaters and bringing them to justice. Now she was involved in this deception, and really didn’t know if she would live to see another Death Eater, other than Snape, of course. She had been in debt to her liaison and he had called her on it to fulfill this mission. He had negated her lifelong goal and turned her world upside down.

Severus’ voice disrupted her musings. “I’m sorry, Miss Corwin. It seems that everyone has been touched in some way by the evil of the Dark Lord.”

She looked over at him. “My name is Bree. You can call me Bree.”

Severus cleared his throat. “We seem to be around the same age, Brianna. Why do I not find you familiar?”

“Oh, well, I went to school at Beauxbatons. My parents wanted me to get a foreign education. For a while I hated not being like everyone else, but I really learned a lot at my school. Since then I’ve spent most of my time in the States.”

“Doing what,” Severus asked.

“I was a British Wizarding consultant. I was based in New York City. It was a great place to live.”

“Too many people,” Severus countered.

“Oh,” she chuckled, “You get used to that after a while. It was always exciting and there was always a lot to do. I lived near the Muggle hub of culture, Lincoln Center. It’s a huge complex that houses almost every form of performing arts known to Muggles.”

“I have been there,” said Severus dryly.

“You’ve been to New York?” she gushed.

“It was several years ago. I was attending a conference on Advanced Potion Making. We actually met at the Wizarding hall at Lincoln Center.”

Bree remembered that conference well. She had been in charge of security and making the British delegates feel at home. It had taken months to get everything perfect. The conference had been over in three days. It had seemed like an awful lot of work for just a couple of days, but she had enjoyed every minute of it. She raced through her memories, trying to remember if she had seen him or not. She didn’t think that she had. She’d certainly remember a handsome face like his. Perhaps she could tell him she had been involved with that without him becoming aware of her prior status as an Auror.

She decided to chance it. “I remember that conference. They called me in to make sure the Steak and kidney pie was authentic.”

Severus looked at her, wide eyed.

She chuckled. “Actually it was more than that. I was in charge of making all of you comfortable in foreign surroundings.”

“You were in charge of all of that?”

She nodded.

“I had wondered how they had gotten everything so spot on.”

Bree grinned happily. This was the first inkling that she had gotten that everything she had done had been appropriate. Of course, the Americans had gushed over her work, but how could they have known one way or another if it had truly been pleasing to the Brits.

“I had hoped everything would be acceptable to everyone,” she divulged.

“It was all done incredibly well,” Severus acknowledged.

She smiled at him again.

“So, it’s your turn. Tell me something about yourself,” she urged Severus.

He frowned. “I already told you, I am a Death Eater.”

“Okay, Death Eater. Do you have a job, or do you just go around killing people for a living?”

She had touched a nerve and immediately regretted it. He was looking at her furiously.

“Severus, I’m sorry,” she said quickly. “I was just joking, but that probably isn’t a very good topic for a joke. Please don’t hold it against me.”

Severus relaxed somewhat but continued to eye her severely.

“I am the Potions Professor at Hogwarts. I am a Potions
master.”

“Really? I enjoy potions making, but I would never have the dedication to take my studies all the way to master. You must be incredibly intelligent.”

“Yes,” he said blandly.

“You don’t do much tooting of your own horn, do you?” she asked.

He rolled his eyes. “I would rather have people observe my qualities, than spout them off to them.”

“Are you fishing for a compliment, then?” she grinned.

“Shudder the thought!” he remarked tartly.

“Oh well, too late.” She narrowed her eyes at him and regarded the man she saw before her. “I see someone who is very intelligent. You aren’t one to do things haphazardly, you’re determined, and we already covered handsome.”

She hesitated, not sure how to put the next part into words.

“You’re faithful,” she finally said slowly. “You care about the outcome of things much more than you let anyone know.”

Severus only stared at her. How could a woman he had known for less than two hours be able to tell so much about him in a quick glance? He must be losing his touch. He frowned at her.

“Surely, Miss Corwin, Lupin has told you more about me than you have let on.”

“It’s Bree, and no, he hasn’t. I’m just good at reading people, I guess.” She shrugged.

Severus turned his attention to the fire in the fireplace.

“I’m sorry,” Bree said, “I didn’t mean to embarrass you or anything.”

“You have not,” Severus said curtly.

She smiled at him as the door opened to reveal Remus.

“Oh, I was looking for you!” he said. “It’s time we Apparated back, it’s getting rather late.”

Bree couldn’t help but see the sneer on Severus’ face as Lupin entered. She would have to ask him about that the next time they spoke. She couldn’t understand how anyone could not like Remus Lupin. She rose and gave Remus a big smile.

“It was lovely talking with you Severus. I suppose I’ll see you around,” she told him.

He only grunted, causing her to grin like the Cheshire Cat. His aloofness, while a negative to most of the world, was incredibly appealing to her. She headed over to Remus and he took her hand. Bidding a farewell to Severus they left hand in hand.

Severus grimaced at their departure. What did she see in that Werewolf? If she wasn’t careful he would eat her for dinner one of these days. Of course, he didn’t know why he even cared. The woman was an annoyance with all of her questions and sarcastic jokes. She did however, have some talent with a wand. She seemed to be a formidable witch. Someone he would not want to be fighting against in a battle. Not that that would happen, for she was on their side.

He didn’t even know why he had stayed through dinner. He usually didn’t. He had been tired, and supposed he had just needed some dinner to pick him up. He rose to leave. There was nothing for him to stay around for. His thoughts turned to Brianna again. His cheeks grew hot thinking of her thoughts abut his looks. No matter. He was not dating her and she seemed completely happy with the Werewolf. She could do much better, of course. Some women were just blind.


A/N: Next up: Severus explains his dislike for Lupin.

Thanks for reading and reviewing, as always. Keep it up, make your opinion known. I can't promise that I will let you know if you're right, but I enjoy hearing your thoughts on what's up. Thanks again to my beta, Lilith Kayden.


A Spy's Fate by debjunk [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved