Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/Canon > Het

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Upon entering the Great Hall, Severus felt like he had never left Hogwarts. The familiar four house tables lined the length of the hall, with the head table at the front, where the teachers were already seated. Dumbledore was in his high-backed, throne-like chair in the middle, looking regal and wise as ever. Severus didn't think the man looked any different from the days when he himself had been a professor at Hogwarts. There were notable differences in the staff, however. Professor Trelawney was not yet a teacher. The Defense Against the Dark Arts professor was seated on the end, a timid-looking man in his mid-forties with tufty hair and reading glasses. Severus remembered the man's name was Hermes Herman. If he recalled correctly, the man had had an "unfortunate accident" in the Forbidden Forest at the end of that year. In truth, Severus knew it had been linked to Voldemort.

His thoughts having drifted upon looking at the Great Hall and its inhabitants, Severus missed what Lily was saying.

"Sev?" she asked, a little annoyed. "Aren't you even listening to me?"

Reminded of their earlier argument on the Hogwarts Express, Severus diverted his attention back to Lily. "I'm sorry, Lily," he said sincerely. "I was just... er, distracted."

"That much was obvious," she replied, still not sounding too happy.

Now, gazing down into those bright green eyes, Severus felt hot and guilty. He didn't want to keep making her mad, but it seemed to come too naturally. Was it merely in his nature to piss people off?

"Honestly, Lily," Severus insisted, taking her hand. "I really am sorry. I didn't mean to ignore you. What were you saying?"

Sighing and relenting, Lily said, "I was saying that I think Potter will have just as much of a big head this year as all past. Look at him." She motioned toward the Gryffindor table.

There stood James Potter, looking so much like Harry, only his expression was arrogant and prideful. Severus couldn't hear what the other boy was saying, but he was obviously boasting to his fellow students. With a slight pang of guilt for his past crimes, Severus realized he had been unfairly harsh toward Harry on numerous occasions. Even though Harry looked far too much like his father for Severus's liking, the more time he spent around Lily, the more he had come to understand that Dumbledore had been right: He was much more like his mother inside.

Rolling his eyes for dramatic effect, Severus retorted, "Well, what else is new? At least some things are nauseatingly predictable." His thin lips quirked a little on one side.

Laughing, Lily nodded. "Right you are, Sev."

Noticing Professor McGonagall leading the first years into the hall, Severus took that as their cue to take their seats. Lily and he parted ways, waving to each other. Taking a seat at the Slytherin table, Severus tried to purposefully keep himself as far removed from Avery and Mulciber as possible, but when the two other boys noticed him sitting alone, they ambled over to him, sitting on either side, much to Severus's dismay.

"Have a good summer, Severus?" queried Avery sarcastically.

"I'd say he did," sneered Mulciber, glaring over at the Gryffindor table to where Lily was seated. "Been spending all your waking time with that Mudblood, Severus? What's she got that's so worthwhile? A good shag, perhaps?"

"Don't you dare talk about Lily like that!" hissed Severus, immediately going for his wand.

"Hey, take it easy," Avery said, a little alarmed at Severus's reaction. "What's got your nuts in a twist?"

Putting his wand away, but keeping his fingers brushing the end, Severus scowled. "Just leave me alone, Avery."

"Oh, gone to being so formal now by using our last names, have we?" Mulciber asked nastily. "Fine, Snape. But I'd watch your back if I were you. You don't want to go messing with the wrong crowd. It might have... dreadful consequences," he finished in a mock-concerned voice.

Avery and Mulciber left, snickering between them. Severus watched them leave, feeling sullen. He idly watched the Sorting and barely acknowledged the Sorting Hat's new song. No mention of the threat of Voldemort or unification of the houses was mentioned. Severus didn't bother to listen to Dumbledore's warnings about avoiding the Forbidden Forest and what items were banned from Hogwarts. His eyes rested on the back of Lily's head, wondering what the year ahead held.

Dinner was a pointless affair. He picked his way through the food, not bothering to taste it. As he made his way down to the Slytherin dormitories, Severus wondered yet again if returning to relive his life had been a mistake. True, he had remedied the problems at home... for now, but the Marauders and his fellow Slytherins would pose a definite problem. Also, the more time that passed, the more Severus realized the age difference between himself and Lily. That was one issue he hadn't taken into consideration when he agreed to live his life over again. His memories of Lily were from when he had been much younger, without the war to taint him. He felt like a dirty, old man robbing the cradle.

Making sure his belongings were all there, Severus decided to leave the dormitories and go for a short walk before curfew. Strolling the halls had always proven therapeutic in his other life. Severus walked the dungeons, going toward the Potions classroom and stopping to briefly glance inside. Beyond the worktables was the door to what had become his office and private storeroom. How odd it was to see something so familiar and yet so different. Horace Slughorn still occupied these rooms. Leaving the doorway, Severus proceeded a little farther, until coming to the spot where he knew the secret entrance to his private chambers had been. Again, they were not his. He wished they were, because at least then he could sleep alone and in privacy. He loathed the thought of having to share a room with others.

Eventually, he made his way up the stairs and to the first level. Severus walked past a now empty Great Hall. He let his mind wander as his feet wandered. Some time later, he nearly bumped into someone.

"Mr. Snape, you very nearly gave this old man a heart attack," came Dumbledore's aged voice.

Gasping slightly, Severus took a step back and looked directly into the face of the man he had killed. Those piercing blue eyes were the same as ever, and Severus knew Dumbledore was probing him, suspicious. Of course, the headmaster had had reason to be suspicious of young Severus in his other life. Severus was among the students who had turned Dark, and now, with Dumbledore only a foot away, Severus couldn't help the natural reflexes of his mind as he placed the mental barriers between himself and the other man. Dumbledore, shocked, stopped trying to use Legilimency on Severus and frowned at him.

"Since when have you known how to employ Occlumency, Mr. Snape?" Dumbledore inquired sharply.

Oh, shit, thought Severus. "Er..." he said awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

Dumbledore had a thoughtful look on his lined face, but he didn't question further. No doubt the old man thought Severus had learned it as a way of protecting his thoughts because of the Dark Magic he knew.

"What are you doing wandering the corridors so late, may I ask? It's nearly curfew."

"Right, sorry, sir," Severus replied stiffly. He made to leave, unnerved by the whole encounter, when Dumbledore's voice trailed after him, asking, "Is something troubling you, Severus?"

Realizing the familiarity with which Dumbledore had addressed him, Severus stopped. He wanted to tell Dumbledore the truth. To be able to confide in just one person, as he had with Dumbledore after Lily was gone... but no, remembering how Dumbledore had used him to achieve his own means, Severus clammed up. He couldn't trust the man.

"No, sir," Severus replied evenly, walking away.

"Good night, then, Mr. Snape," Dumbledore called after him.

Choosing not the answer, Severus left, returning to the dungeons, clearly hearing the use of his last name again. Dumbledore wasn't close to him. Dumbledore wasn't his friend.

The Moment It Began by sindie11 [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved