Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

The Murderer's Shadow by silvian_sicily0 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Read, review, and ENJOY!




The Murderer’s Shadow

Chapter Seven

Sicily threw her quill upon the desk in frustration. She had to write the closing report for the Carla Adams case and it was proving difficult to focus. She had already been forced to restart eight times; the crumbled sheets of parchment littered her desk. She jumped when someone burst through her office door.

It was the Minister.

“Madame Sicily,” Scrimgeour said gravely. “We have a situation that needs to be investigated immediately.”

“Don’t we always,” she grumbled. “What is it now?”

“A student at Hogwarts has been attacked.”

Sicily quickly rose to her feet, hurriedly setting about gathering her equipment cases. “Who is the victim?”

“A seventh year by the name of Katie Bell.”

Sicily threw her fur-lined wool coat on, then fastened her silk lined wool cloak over her shoulders. “I’m on my way.”




The wind roared around Sicily as she trudged through the snow and ice piled against the towering entrance doors of the castle of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She pushed the doors open, the winter wind wrenching the large handles out of her gloved hands and sending them crashing against the walls.

The caretaker, Filch, came hurrying forward, then halted once he realized that Sicily was not a student. “And who are you?”

“Madame Silvian Sicily, Magical Forensics Squad. I’m here to investigate the attack on one of the students, Katie Bell.”


“Ah, yes,” Filch wheezed, “Professor McGonagall is expecting you. She’s waiting in her office. Follow me,” he added as he shuffled for the stairway.

“That won’t be necessary,” said a cold voice from behind Sicily’s back. “I’ll take her there.”

Sicily and Filch turned to see Professor Snape sweeping towards them. Sicily smiled at him as she walked at his side up the moving staircases.

“What happened?” Sicily asked, her mind solely focused on her job.

“It’s nice to see you again, as well,” Snape said sarcastically.

“I have no time for chit-chat, Severus,” Sicily snapped back. “A child has been attacked.”

“I am fully aware of that, Silvian,” the Potions Master answered. “She was a seventh year, not a child.”

Professor McGonagall was waiting for them at the door of her office. “Madame Sicily, thank you for coming so quickly.”

“How is the victim?”

The strict woman before her looked shaken and extremely worried. “We’re not sure. Poppy doesn’t think she can undo the damage.”

Sicily pushed past McGonagall into the office. She set her many cases down, then rummaged in her satchel for fresh parchment. Sitting down in a chair before McGonagall’s desk, Sicily poised a quill above the parchment in her lap. “Please let me know if the girl is transferred to St. Mungo’s; I will need a copy of the medical file.”

“Of course,” responded McGonagall.

“Now,” Sicily stated, ready to get down to business, “what happened?”

“A friend of Miss Bell’s–“ began McGonagall as she stepped behind her desk.

Snape sat in the chair beside Sicily.

“Name?” Sicily interrupted. “I need as many names as you can provide, Professor.”

“Leanne Bevels said that Miss Bell went to the bathroom at the Three Broomsticks and had returned holding a package. Katie told Miss Bevels that she was supposed to deliver it to someone here at the school. Miss Bevels said she was acting oddly. On the way back to the school, the girls began to argue over the package and the argument ended in a struggle. The wrapping tore open, and Miss Bell apparently touched the contents of the package.”

“Which were?” Sicily prompted as she took notes.

“A necklace,” Snape answered. He pulled it out of his pocket, the necklace still carefully wrapped in a scarf.

“I’ll need to take that,” Sicily said, pulling a thick parchment envelope from one of her cases. “Put it in here.”

Snape did as she instructed. “Be sure not to touch it.”

“I will,” Sicily said. “Professor McGonagall, I need the most accurate list you can produce of all the people Katie Bell would have had contact with for the rest of the weekend, and into the first two days of the week. And I need is as soon as possible.”

“Of course, Madame Sicily.”

Sicily began prepacking her cases. “Why did you have the necklace, Severus?”

“Professor Snape is rather gifted with counter-acting Dark magic,” McGonagall said.”I sent it to him in hopes he could discover what curse had been put upon it.”

“And were you able to come up with any results?”

“No,” Snape answered.

“Alright then; I’ll take a look at it myself,” Sicily said. She stood, snapping the clasps of her satchel shut. “I would like to examine the scene, but I’m afraid the weather will hinder any attempt. Send those lists I requested to the Ministry as soon as you can. Mark them urgent, please. Thank you for your cooperation.”

As she strode past Snape, she whispered, “Thanks for the rose.”




The stench of human filth constantly damp with icy sea spray caused Sicily to gag as she walked through the dark and dank corridors of Azkaban. Her heels created an eerie echo with every step. Occasionally, she trod in an unseen ice-crusted puddle. Her breath hung in the air before her.

Sicily stopped before cell number four hundred and eighty-two. With a tap of her wand, the heavily rusted door slid open with a deep rumble. She stepped inside the cell to come face to face with the horrors of her past.

“Mr. Malfoy.”


The man looked up from where he lay on a bare metal cot. “Ah, Madame Sicily. To what do I owe this honor?”

The man’s steely grey eyes froze her to her very soul. The haunting memories of that night began flooding back over Sicily. She shook them aside, preparing herself for her chosen course of action.

“I’m here to ask you some information of you, Mr. Malfoy.”

He laughed. “And I will refuse to answer any of your questions.”

Malfoy looked nothing like he had that night; he was older and his few months in prison had taken their toll on his grand elegance. His long platinum blond hair hung in oily curtains down his back. Yet, his eyes still harbored the same chilling cruelty as they had all those years ago.

“I’m not here for the Ministry, Mr. Malfoy,” Sicily said.

Malfoy’s slightly amused expression changed to one of surprise. “Then why are you here, Madame Sicily?”

Without hesitation, without a second thought of the possible consequences of her actions, Sicily answered, “I want to know how I can join the Dark Lord’s ranks as a Death Eater.”

Malfoy eyed her with suspicion. “And why would a loyal, devoted, and long-serving Ministry official like yourself wish to do that?”

Sicily shrugged. “Power. What else is there?”

Malfoy laughed. “Excellent answer, Madame Sicily! Excellent answer, indeed. And, may I inquire as to what sparked this desire?”

“You should ask who.”

“Who, then?”

“Severus Snape.”

Malfoy’s eyes began to gleam. “You know Snape?”

Sicily allowed herself a one-sided smile. “I suppose you could say that, Mr. Malfoy.”

“I see.”

Malfoy seemed to have read between the lines of Sicily’s words and her smile, just as she had hoped.

“So,” Sicily said, relieved that Malfoy had bought her story. “How can I join? Who do I talk to?”

Malfoy nestled back into the corner of his cell. “You’ll be contacted. Good day, Madame Sicily.”

The Murderer's Shadow by silvian_sicily0 [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved