Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Innocence Found by sarabella76 [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?



Over the next week, Camilla kept a close eye on her husband, lest he slip away when she wasn’t looking. He’d kept his promise to not speak of what was to come; nevertheless, Camilla found herself thinking of nothing else. Every day she wondered if this would be the day for him to go; every kiss left her asking herself if it would be the last; and every morning she thanked Merlin that he was still there.

Severus had become withdrawn as the days passed. She could sense his restlessness and agitation at being forced to wait. For what, she could only imagine. He had made several trips into town, often times returning empty-handed. She did not ask why; she knew he would not tell her and she wasn’t sure she wanted to know anymore. She did what she could to comfort him, even if it meant doing nothing more than sitting silently beside him, holding his hand while he wrestled with his thoughts.

One night, while getting up to get a drink of water, Camilla had found him sitting at the kitchen table, his left sleeve pushed up. He had been staring at his Dark Mark while a single tear rolled down his angular face. It was a private moment that Camilla knew better than to interrupt. She had silently slipped back up the stairs, her own tears soaking her pillow as she lay awake waiting for him. He never came to bed that night. She found him asleep with his head on the kitchen table the following morning. She cheerfully made him coffee and lightly teased him for making her sleep alone. She never spoke of what she had seen.

This morning she had woken up alone again. A note lying on his pillow informed her that he had gone into town yet again and would be back later that afternoon. He had made her some sandwiches for lunch and suggested she have cereal for breakfast. Hopefully, she could handle that, the note teased.

A wry smile pulling at her mouth, Camilla rose to take a shower.

The day passed uneventfully. Camilla fought boredom by cleaning the house from top to bottom, gaining a new appreciation for house-elves in the process. When she was finished, she collapsed on the sofa and stared blankly out the window.

She wished he would return. As the hour grew late, she tried not to worry. He said he’d be back soon; what’s taking him so long? She bit her lip as her imagination began to create dramatic scenarios in which Severus was in grave danger.

“Stop it!” she chastised herself. “He’s fine. Just late, that’s all.”

She curled up on the sofa and waited. Eventually, her eyes became heavy and she drifted off to sleep.

She awoke to the sound of running water coming from upstairs. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, wondering if he had come back. Her gaze fell on the kitchen table covered with several brown shopping bags.

“Severus?” she called. He did not answer.

She bounded up the stairs and entered the bedroom, calling his name. She stopped short at the sight of a beautiful black gown draped over the bed. She picked it up and held it out in front of her, admiring the delicate straps and the low cut bodice. Who knew Severus had such great taste?

She pushed open the bathroom door a crack and peered in. Severus was kneeling beside the bathtub, meticulously measuring out bubble bath. Oblivious to her presence, he added the liquid to the bath and then with a wave of his wand, a dozen small candles sprang to life and began to glow. He surveyed the scene with a furrowed brow and then dipped his fingers into a small glass bowl. He sprinkled rose petals on the surface of the water and then rose to his feet, nodding his approval.

He turned to leave and then stopped short at the sight of her standing in the doorway.

“I didn’t hear you come in,” he said sheepishly.

She beamed up at him and then threw herself into his arms, wrapping her legs around his waist and pressing her lips against his in a fervent kiss.

“Hello to you, too,” he said, chuckling softly.

“You are incredible,” she said, as he lowered her back to the ground. She smiled up at him and then quickly slapped his arse, hard.

“What was that for?” he hissed, rubbing his behind.

“That was for making me worry,” she reprimanded, slipping her arms around his waist.

“I will make it up to you,” he promised, brushing his lips against hers.

“Looks like you’re off to a fair start,” she commented, admiring the scene he had created. “When did you become such a romantic?"

Severus snorted. “I assure you, I have an ulterior motive. I need you out of my way for a bit. You are to relax and have a long bath while I prepare dinner.”

She raised her eyebrows. “And the dress…?”

He smiled. “That is for our date.”

“Date? Where are we going?” she asked excitedly.

“I’m afraid no further than our kitchen. But I assure you, it will be a night to remember.”

“Sounds wonderful,” she said with a smile.

“I will leave you to your bath then,” he said, taking her hand and kissing her fingers.

“Sure you don’t want to join me?” she suggested, unbuttoning her robes with a wanton smile on her face.

“Of course I do,” he answered, “but I have matters to attend to in the kitchen.” He approached her slowly and lowered his lips to her ear. “Later,” he whispered huskily, sending shivers of anticipation down her spine.

“Oh, you are cruel, Severus Snape,” she said with a pout as he closed the door behind him.

After staring at the door for a moment, she removed the rest of her clothing and slipped into the steamy water. Laying her head back, she sighed happily and wondered what exactly he had in store for her this evening.






An hour later, Camilla was standing in front of a full-length mirror, adjusting the combs in her hair. She had chosen to wear it swept off her neck for a change; she couldn’t let the effect of the dress be ruined by her hair covering the back of it. She stepped back and smoothed the sides of her dress. As long as I don’t breathe, it should be fine, she thought with a wry smile.

She was pulling on black velvet heels that were far too high when she heard a soft knock on the door. Grinning broadly, she raced to the door and threw it open. She placed one hand strategically on one hip while sliding the other up the door frame. “How do I look?”

Severus frowned as he surveyed her. He shook his head and pulled the clips out, causing her hair to cascade down her back in soft waves. “A vast improvement,” he said, nodding his approval and rubbing his hands over her arms. “You look exquisite.”

“You don’t look so bad, either,” she said appreciatively. He was dressed in black, silk dress robes; his hair was tied back away from his face. “Except…” she reached behind his head and yanked on the tie holding his hair. His fine black hair fell forward and she ran her fingers through them. “Much better,” she said with a teasing smile.

He bent down to brush his lips against hers. “Shall we go to dinner?”

“Please,” she answered. “I’m starving!”

He escorted her downstairs, where a delicious dinner of steak and potatoes awaited them. They ate by the glow of two candles, drinking red wine and laughing like they did when they were first married.

Camilla pushed her plate away and groaned. “If I eat any more, I’m going to split the seams on this gorgeous dress.”

Severus chuckled. “That might be interesting to see,” he commented, taking a slow drink of wine.

“I imagine you would be highly entertained,” she muttered. She rose from her seat and planted a kiss on his cheek. “It was delicious. Thank you.”

He pulled her onto his lap and kissed her slowly, tangling his hands in her hair. “I’m glad you enjoyed it,” he said, taking her hand. “I’ve been thinking--” He pulled a small, velvet box from the pocket of his robes. “—that something has been missing for too long now…”

Camilla’s eyes widened. “Really? And what might that be?”

He opened the box slowly and handed it to her. Inside was a sparkling princess-cut diamond, surrounded by a white gold band adorned with tiny baguettes. She clasped a hand over her mouth and stared at it for a moment. “I—I don’t know what to say,” she murmured. “It’s beautiful.”

He removed the ring from the box and slipped it on her left ring finger. “Now you look like a married woman again,” he said with a smile.

She threw her arms around him and buried her face in his neck. “You are too good to me,” she said, wiping away a tear.

“I’m no fool. I know how fortunate I am to have you,” he whispered.

She pulled away to look at him. “But what about you? Shouldn’t we…er… match?”

He smiled and pulled a simple band from his pocket. “Somehow I knew you would say that.”

She laughed through her tears and placed the ring on his finger. She placed her hand over his and admired the rings. “Beautiful.”

“Yes, you are.”

“Severus,” she scolded, “you better stop all this. You’re going to spoil me.”

“I’m not concerned. Spoiled or not, you’re the only one I want.” He pulled her into his arms and kissed the top of her head.

Camilla rested her head against him and held her left hand out in front of her, turning it so the diamond sparkled in the candlelight. She looked up at Severus and caught the troubled look in his eyes before he was able to conceal it.

She tilted her head and studied his face. “What is this all about?”

His face was immediately inscrutable. “What do you mean?”

“Come on, Severus. This isn’t like you. The rings, the dinner, the bath. This isn’t a typical night for us. What’s going on?”

He turned his gaze toward the floor. “Nothing is going on.”

She tipped his face toward her and searched his eyes. “Tonight’s the night, isn’t it?”

He nodded and looked away.

Camilla swallowed the lump in her throat. She could beg him to stay. She could tell him how much she needed him, that it was crazy to put his life in danger in this way. But she knew he had to go. This had started long before she had ever met him, when he was a young man of only twenty years. She knew he had to end it, one way or another. It was the only way he’d finally have peace.

“Okay,” she said, nodding. She took his face in her hands and kissed him gently. “It will be okay, my love. It’ll be okay.”

He pulled her into a fierce embrace. “I didn’t want you to know. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, darling. I’m glad you told me. I want to help you. For just one night, I want to take your pain away.”

He pulled back and looked deeply into her eyes. “You’ve been healing me from the first day I met you.”

Camilla choked back a sob and wrapped her arms around him. “I don’t want to lose you, Severus. You make my life so much brighter. No one makes me smile the way you do; no one else understands me or knows me so well--”

“Shh,” he interrupted. “We’re not saying goodbye tonight. I won’t have that.”

She pulled back and nodded, wiping her face.

“I’m coming back to you, Camilla,” he murmured. “I’m not going to leave you alone.”

“Severus,” she whispered, “I need you. I want to be close to you. Make love to me.”

He kissed her and she clung to him like a dying woman. He carried her upstairs and set her carefully on her feet. Staring into her eyes, he slowly unzipped her dress. She pulled his robes over his head and ran her hands over his shoulders.

Every touch they shared was reverent, every kiss gentle and tender, and when they finally joined together, she couldn’t tear her eyes away from his. The power of her emotions finally overcame her and she found herself weeping even as he kissed her. It took her a moment to realize that he, too, was crying.

They fell asleep in each other’s arms, but too soon it was time for him to go. She buttoned up his robes for him and slipped his wand into his pocket. He pulled her into his arms for a last embrace before kissing her slowly and slipping away.




A/N: So sad! : ( My muse is evil, I tell you! Thanks again for reading and reviewing. You are some wonderful people! : )

Innocence Found by sarabella76 [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved