Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Innocence Found by sarabella76 [Reviews - 4]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?



“Get up!” Voldemort hissed, pacing back and forth in front of Severus like a lion taunting its prey.

Severus rose slowly, every muscle and bone aching from the various curses with which Voldemort had punished him.

“My lord—“ he began softly, his eyes averted.

Voldemort approached Severus slowly and jabbed his wand into Severus’ throat. “Tell me why I should refrain from killing you now. The only reason that appeals to me is that Nagini was denied flesh tonight and might be hungry enough to settle for you.”

“My lord,” Severus choked, “I have remained loyal to you. I thought you were gone forever. Forgive me. I should have known you would return. I have done what you asked, Master. Dumbledore has taken me into his confidence. I have much to tell you.”

Voldemort’s crimson eyes studied Severus for a moment. He jerked his wand away roughly. “Where were you when you felt the Dark Mark burn? What excuse do you have for your delay?”

“My lord, I knew if I had returned to you immediately that Dumbledore would have been suspicious. I had to wait until he sent me. I had to make him think I was going on his orders alone. He trusts me, Master. This will work to our advantage-- to your advantage.”

Voldemort’s snake-like features contorted as he considered Severus’ claims. His eyes bore into Severus’, searching for any untruths. “Tell me what you know. Then I will decide whether or not you deserve to live.”




Severus Disapparated with a tiny pop. He walked slowly, his entire body stiff and aching. Despite the pain, he knew he was lucky to be alive. He gazed gratefully up at the many ramparts of the castle that, up until few minutes ago, he doubted he would never see again.

As he hobbled toward the Hogwarts gates, he suddenly stopped short. He must be dreaming, he decided. He had thought of no one else for the many hours he had spent before the Dark Lord. Her face had haunted him as he was being tortured. He had longed for nothing more than to hold her again before he died, yet he had been certain he would never lay eyes on her beautiful face again. And now there she was, sleeping against the gates. He was alive and she was there waiting for him.

She was foolish beyond measure for coming here. The Dark Lord had returned and she was out alone, in the dark—asleep, no less! He wondered what had brought her here. She had made it clear she wanted nothing more to do with him. Had she changed her mind?

He pushed this thought from his mind. There could be no worse time for her to come back into his life. He was balancing between life and death, walking a treacherous line that would surely lead to his demise sooner or later. He couldn’t involve her in this. Her safety would be in jeopardy, but he also knew he didn’t need the distraction now. He had to focus on his duties. He had to make the Dark Lord pay.

Severus approached her slowly. Her dark locks covered her eyes. Her face looked troubled in sleep, yet Severus wondered if she had ever looked more beautiful. He stared at her hands, her skin, her lips, and he ached for her, even now. He had missed her terribly.

Finally, he crouched down and shook her slightly. She stirred slowly and opened her eyes, looking around in confusion. Her gaze rested on Severus and she gasped. “Severus? Thank God!” she exclaimed, throwing her arms around his neck.

His face contorted in pain as he indulged himself in her embrace for a moment. He let go quickly, however, and pulled her to her to her feet. “What on earth are you doing here? Do you know how foolish it is for you to be out here alone?” he barked.

Camilla looked stricken. “I heard You-Know-Who had returned. I knew you would have to go to him. I knew you were in danger! I had to see you!”

Severus scowled. “I am fine. You shouldn’t have come.”

Camilla’s eyes filled with tears. “I had to. I had to know you were okay. Is it true? Is he really back?”

“Yes, it is true,” Severus answered, looking away.

Camilla’s hand flew up and covered her mouth. “Oh God, Severus. How…?”

“I do not wish to discuss it. Least of all here. Come with me.” Severus tapped the locks, releasing the chains that bound the castle gates shut. He pulled her through the gates and secured them behind them.

He swept across the castle grounds in long strides, leaving Camilla trailing behind him. He led her to the back of the castle and waved his wand over a blank stretch of the castle wall. Suddenly, a large iron door appeared. Severus tapped the handle with his wand and pulled it open. “Go,” he commanded, nudging Camilla through the door with his wand.

Severus led her down a series of stone steps leading into the dungeons. They made it to the door of his rooms in a matter of minutes. Severus flicked his wand again, removing the wards from the door. He gestured for her to enter and then followed behind her, securing the wards as he closed the door from the inside.

Camilla wandered into the sitting room and took a seat on the sofa. Severus sat down beside her and stored his wand back into his robes.

“I’m so glad you’re all right,” Camilla said, taking his hand and interlocking her fingers with his.

“What are you doing here?” he demanded, pulling his hand away and crossing his arms.

“I told you…” she said uncertainly.

“Yes, I know what you said,” Severus replied coldly. “Does
he know that you are here with me?”

Camilla appeared confused. “What are you talking about?” She paused, realization seeming to set in. “No, Severus, I lied. I was never with anyone else.”

Severus laughed bitterly. “I don’t believe you.”

“Severus, please…” she said, taking his hand again. “I was an idiot. I wanted to push you away. You hurt me and I wanted to hurt you back. I’m so sorry.”

Severus looked away. “It does not matter now. There is nothing between us anymore. You need not be concerned for me. I feel nothing for you.”

Camilla got up and knelt in front of him, holding his face in her hands and forcing him to look at her. “I know that’s not true,” she said softly, tears glistening in her deep brown eyes. “I love you, Severus, and you love me. You need me, now more than ever.”

Severus gazed into her eyes and felt his resolve start to crumble. He wanted nothing more than to kiss her now, to feel her delicate arms wrapped around him. She made him feel safe, despite what was going on around him. She was right; he needed her more than she knew.

“Camilla,” he whispered, pulling her into his arms. She cried on his shoulder and he exhaled for what seemed like the first time that evening. He stroked her long, soft hair and tenderly kissed her face. He knew he was probably making a huge mistake, but he couldn’t let her go, not now. She was his only reason to live, the only reason to keep fighting.

“I’ve missed you so much,” she said, kissing him tenderly.

He held her tight against him, not wanting to let her go for even a moment. Their kisses deepened, becoming more demanding. “Severus, I need you,” she breathed in his ear.

Carefully, he scooped her up in his arms and carried her to his bed. He spent the night enjoying her, clinging to her and allowing himself to forget, if only for a little while.

Finally, as the sun was beginning to rise, she fell asleep in his arms. He held her for a long time, listening to her breathe and gently stroking her hair. Nuzzling against her neck, he whispered uncertainly, “I love you.”

He never saw her eyes flutter open or the wide grin that spread across her face.





Camilla sat staring moodily into the roaring fire in the fireplace. She sipped a glass of Chardonnay, but tasted nothing. She drank it only to give herself something to do.

She had grown restless while waiting for Severus to return. She had wandered the castle corridors and had found out from several students that Katie Bell was the student who had been cursed. She did not know Katie well, but from what she had seen, Katie was a great Quidditch player and seemed to be a nice enough girl. She certainly didn’t deserve what had happened to her. Who would want to hurt that poor girl?

Even more troubling, however, was the letter now clutched in Camilla’s hand. She hadn’t had the courage to open it yet. She knew what it contained, for she had already received several just like it. It remained unopened, for she hadn’t the strength to deal with it now. Later, she decided, gulping down a mouthful of wine as bitter tears began to sting her eyes.

Suddenly, the door to their rooms opened. Camilla quickly shoved the letter under a sofa cushion and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

Severus entered slowly, looking paler than usual. Camilla jumped to her feet. “Is everything all right? How is Katie?”

“I was able to stop the curse from spreading, but she is far from being all right. She’s been moved to St. Mungo’s.” Severus sank into an armchair and exhaled slowly.

Camilla sat on the edge of the sofa. “How did this happen?”

Severus shook his head. “I’m not sure. She touched a cursed necklace. We don’t know where it came from or who gave it to her. Although, Potter seems to have a theory,” he sneered. Camilla gazed at him expectantly. “Potter seems to think that Draco Malfoy is responsible,” Severus continued, “which is impossible considering that he was in detention all day and not in Hogsmeade.”

Camilla frowned. “Why does he think it was Draco?”

“Potter simply wants to blame Draco because he dislikes him. I would pay no attention to his accusations.”

Camilla sighed. “Well, I hope she will be all right. It’s so strange. Why would anyone want to hurt her?”

Severus shook his head. “That is what we would all like to know.” He rose and kissed her cheek lightly. “I’m going down to dinner. Would you like to join me?”

Camilla smiled. “Yes, I’ll be down in a minute.”

He nodded and then strode to the door, shutting it firmly behind him. She heard him mutter the incantation to restore the wards and the sound of his footsteps as he departed. When she was sure he was gone, Camilla pulled out the letter from the under the sofa cushion. She stared at the handwriting on the envelope through narrowed eyes. Finally, she crumpled up the letter in her hand and threw it into the fire. She watched it burn while she finished her glass of wine. When the last ember died away, she finally rose, vanished the ashes with her wand, and left to meet her husband.



A/N: I know what you're thinking: 'Stop teasing me with the letters!!' My deepest apologies. You will find out soon enough, I promise. : )

Next up: More letter teasing (I know, I'm sorry!), lots of character development, and a sprinkling of plot. The next chapter is actually one of my favorites, so stay tuned...

Many thanks again to my wonderful beta reader, LariLee. She is a wonderful person, always willing to help.

Thanks to my faithful readers and reviewers. I look forward to hearing from you all, so don't forget to review. Thanks for reading! : )

Innocence Found by sarabella76 [Reviews - 4]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved