Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Innocence Found by sarabella76 [Reviews - 8]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?




Severus crept into his rooms and shut the door carefully behind him. It was dark inside, save for a single candle burning in the entryway. She must be asleep, he thought with a sigh of relief. He skulked into the kitchen to make himself a drink and stopped short.

At the kitchen table was Camilla, sitting in the dark, crying softly and clutching what appeared to be a letter.

“Camilla?” he said tentatively.

She whipped around to face him and stuffed the piece of parchment into the pocket of her dressing gown. Wiping her face with the back of her hand, she said, “I didn’t hear you come in.”

Severus took a seat at the table. “I didn’t want to wake you. Are you all right? Who is the letter from?”

“Um, my mum. She wrote to tell me how disappointed she is in me. Nothing new, really,” she said with an unconvincing smile.

Severus gazed at her appraisingly. She was a bad liar, but he was in no mood to press the issue. “Well, how unfortunate for her,” he replied.

Camilla smiled. “I was wondering when you would be home. Were you working late again?”

Severus looked away. He had been avoiding her since the day he’d had the strange vision of the blonde woman. He couldn’t get it out of his head. The guilt was like a heavy rock in the pit of his stomach and he could hardly stand to look Camilla in the eye. He had told her he was overwhelmed with work, when in reality he had been spending countless hours sitting in his office, occupied solely with the thoughts of his betrayal.

“Yes. It has been difficult to balance my teaching duties as well as my work for the Order. It is quite time consuming,” he answered.

“Oh,” she said quietly. She studied his face for a moment. “Are you sure there’s nothing else going on? You seem…different lately.”

“Everything’s fine,” he assured her. He stood up from the table and planted a kiss on her forehead. “Good night.”

“’Night,” she said listlessly, watching the familiar billow of his robes as he departed.

He walked back to the bedroom and glanced back at her over his shoulder. He watched as she removed the piece of parchment from her pocket with trembling fingers. She stared down at it for a brief moment and then quickly vanished it with her wand.




Severus stared at the flames dancing merrily in the fireplace and took another drink. He tipped his glass so that the ice clanked against the sides and exhaled deeply. This night was unusual for Severus. For, tonight he would not push the memories aside and fool himself into believing that none of it mattered. For once, he would indulge in a luxury he seldom allowed himself; tonight he would remember.

He had been sitting there for hours, slowly making his way through a bottle of Firewhisky and letting his thoughts wander toward her. For weeks he had been furious. She had made a fool of him and had seemed to take pleasure in informing him that he had been replaced. She wanted nothing more to do with him now that she had someone new. He should have known, should have seen. He could hardly believe that he had let his guard down and trusted someone like her.

He had never let a woman into his life this way before. The only contact he had had with a woman was usually quick, impersonal, and paid for. This was how he liked it and never dreamed of wanting anything more until she came along. Somehow, though, she had inserted herself into his life in such a way that he now felt as if he could hardly breathe without her.

How had he let this happen? He had learned early on in life that no one was to be trusted. Few would care enough to get to know someone like him and he had never allowed anyone to get close enough to try. He had been right. He had trusted her and she had betrayed him. She cared nothing for him now and had probably not given him another thought, whereas he could think of nothing else but her.

He rose from the chair, drained his glass, and then threw it into the fire where it shattered spectacularly. He laughed bitterly. Look what I’ve become: a pathetic drunk mourning a bloody woman. He looked down in disgust at the near-empty bottle of Firewhisky in his hand and chucked it into the fire as well. The flames surged as the liquor made contact. He smiled at his handiwork and took an ironic bow, swaying slightly as he rose.

Just then, he heard a faint rapping at the door. He glanced at the clock.
Who could be calling this late?

He stumbled to the door. “Who’s there?” he asked gruffly.

“P--Professor Snape…you have an owl, sir,” said a timid, squeaky voice.

Severus removed the wards with a wave of his wand. He threw open the door to find a terrified-looking house-elf standing before him holding a letter. Severus looked down his nose at the house-elf and snatched the letter from him without a word. He slammed the door behind him and quickly warded it.

Letter in hand, Severus returned to the sitting room and collapsed onto the sofa. He examined the familiar handwriting on the envelope and his eyes narrowed.
What now?




Severus muttered, “
Lumos,” and entered the Forbidden Forest cautiously with his lit wand raised. He made his way to the designated spot and waited.

Severus moved his wand tip over his watch. It was time. He looked around but saw no one. The forest was eerily quiet, except for the occasional scuttling of spiders as they passed by and the sound of the trees swaying ominously against the cloudy, moonlit sky.

Suddenly Severus heard leaves crunch behind him. He whipped around and saw a hooded figure making its way toward him. The figure lowered her hood and ran toward him, flinging herself into his arms.

“Severus, I’m so glad you came,” she sobbed, clinging to him.

Severus pulled away and held her at arm’s length. Her pale blonde hair glimmered in the moonlight and her blue eyes were shining with tears. “What are you doing here?” he demanded.

“I had to see you, Severus. I need you,” she said, moving closer to him and sliding her hands inside his cloak. She pressed her cheek against his chest and continued to sob quietly.

“What is it this time?” he asked impatiently. The effects of the alcohol were wearing off now, leaving him irritated and tired. This was the last thing he needed now.

“He’s gone again. I don’t know when he’ll be back,” she whimpered, looking up at him. “He doesn’t love me. He doesn’t care. He married me for my blood, that’s all. I gave him a son and that’s all I am good for.”

Severus pushed her away roughly. “Tell me why I should give a damn about you and your bloody husband,” he spat.

Her expression hardened suddenly. “I’m not asking you to care, Severus. I know that is not something you are capable of. I’m asking you to give me what I need, what you need. Just like we’ve always done. You’ve never minded before.” She kissed him roughly and raked her nails across the back of his neck.

He grabbed her wrists and pushed her away again. “Perhaps I mind now,” he said through clenched teeth.

She smiled malevolently. “We both know you don’t.” She shrugged off her robe, under which she was wearing nothing but a slip.

Severus looked at her appraisingly for a moment. He then grabbed the back of her head and kissed her fiercely, backing her up against a tree. As she tore open his frock coat with her long nails, he muttered breathlessly, “Damn you, Narcissa.”





A/N: Dun dun dun! The secret identity of the tramp--I mean, woman--is revealed. I'm sure some of you had figured it out already and kudos to you if you did. And now you know that Camilla is indeed keeping a secret from Severus and it has to do with a letter. Hmmm...

Thanks to LariLee for beta reading for me! And thanks again to everyone who has reviewed. Don't be shy, people. Let me know what you think! I welcome all reviews. They really do help me improve. : )

Next up: Camilla has Severus' number. She knows he's avoiding her. Will he tell her why? And a look back at the night Voldemort was reborn.

Innocence Found by sarabella76 [Reviews - 8]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved