Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS-Centric

The Long Night by xenasquill [Reviews - 7]

>>

Would you like to submit a review?


I would like to thank my beta reader Janis for her help!


The Forest

The last rays of the sun were still peeking through in the west, but in the shadow of a massive oak tree where Snape awaited the Headmaster, it was dark as night. Only his sallow face could be made out in the gloom, as the black of his long robes and his lank, shoulder-length hair seemed to blend into the shadow. Snape paced energetically, his rapid movement not quite sufficing to dispel the tension in his shoulders as he marshaled his arguments one final time. He was not surprised when he heard rustling noises, harbingers of someone, or something, approaching him in the darkness. The Forest was not an entirely safe place even for staff at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Snape stopped, hidden from view behind the gnarled trunk.

A few moments later Snape heard the familiar voice of the Headmaster.
“Good evening, Severus. You may come out from behind that tree now,” said Dumbledore, his blue eyes twinkling. Snape strode around the tree, impressed, as always, by the magical skill Dumbledore displayed in even the most commonplace endeavors.

“Shall we a take turn about the Forest? It is rather cold to be standing about tonight,” Dumbledore suggested.

“If you like, Albus,” Snape agreed.

As Dumbledore walked towards one of the several trails leading out of the clearing, he flicked his wand and a softly glowing ball of yellow light appeared ahead, lighting their way.

As he fell into step to the left of Dumbledore, Snape said stiffly, “Thank you for agreeing to meet me.”

“You are welcome, of course, Severus,” replied Dumbledore with a smile. “So, what is it that you wanted to discuss with me?”

“Draco,” Snape began. “I told you of our conversation during Horace’s Christmas party. It has had no effect on him; I doubt that he even bothered to check my story with his mother over the holiday.”

“No, Severus, I believe your warning, at least, had its effect,” Dumbledore contradicted him gently.

Snape walked silently, striving to relax while waiting for an explanation. The trail passed through a spot where thick undergrowth encroached upon the path, allowing only one man to pass at a time, so he slowed to let the Dumbledore go ahead.

As the trail widened again, Snape caught up with a couple of brisk steps. As there was still no explanation forthcoming, Snape inquired, attempting to hide his impatience, “How can you be sure?”

“He would have tried again already,” Dumbledore explained. “The holiday also provided an opportunity to set another similar plan in motion. He has not, and he will not.”
The trail crossed another, and Dumbledore turned right onto the new path. Snape followed him.

“Perhaps. But he is definitely up to something, these past several weeks,” Snape said.

“What makes you so sure, Severus?” inquired Dumbledore. “What is he doing?”

“I do not know, and that is what worries me. He disappears for hours at a time. Crabbe and Goyle are helping him, somehow. They have been spending a lot of time on the seventh floor, I presume to keep tabs on Potter for him, since the Gryffindor dormitory is there.”

“He is not leaving the castle, surely?”

“Not that I have seen,” Snape replied.

“Then he has no way to bring in anything dangerous, like the necklace, even if he still wanted to do so,” Dumbledore pointed out.

“I still say it is too risky,” said Snape, willing his voice to remain calm. “We were lucky with Miss Bell, but a next attempt could be deadly. In all this time I have learned nothing of his plans. We should hide the boy and Narcissa first, and then you can talk some sense into him.” Snape was no longer quite keeping the frustration out of his voice.

“We still have time. Another three months, before school is out,” said Dumbledore soothingly. “While Draco remains under my protection at school, we need not fear your Vow, Severus. It will not ‘prove necessary’ for you to do anything.”

“In three months’ time, whatever else may happen, I will no longer be here,” Snape reminded Dumbledore.

“If you leave sooner, rest assured that I will deal with Draco as you suggest. But I will not act unless I must. He needs to know he has the chance to kill me, to understand for himself that he cannot, Severus, as I have explained before,” said Dumbledore firmly.

The worries of the past months had left Snape somewhat distrustful of his own reasoning. Was he overreacting? He considered all Dumbledore had told him. “He did suggest to me that he had outside assistance, better than Crabbe and Goyle. That must mean other Death Eaters,” Snape said, thinking aloud.

“You are probably right, but the boy is done with these indirect approaches. His next move will be against me directly, and his Death Eater accomplices cannot help him then.” This was true, Snape conceded. Unless…

“What if he somehow gets them into the school?” asked Snape. He halted, struck by the thought.

Dumbledore stopped and turned back to face Snape.“Severus, you know how seriously I take the safety of the students. You are familiar with our security arrangements. You know as well as I that what you suggest is impossible.” The headmaster spoke calmly, but Snape recognized the determination in his expression.

He was too frustrated to be deterred by Dumbledore’s firmness. He felt overwhelmed. For months, he has been watching over Draco, worrying about him, about the bystanders he might harm, about Dumbledore, and about the consequences of his Vow. Teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts only made matters worse, for it meant waiting for disaster to strike, as it certainly would, but when, and in what form? He had often had the feeling he was overlooking something, this year…was this it?

“I cannot just stand by and watch as the boy does something irrevocable while I wait for him to make his move.”

“He will not, Severus. You will see to it.”

“We could be overlooking something. You take too much for granted. Maybe I don’t want to do it anymore!” he yelled. He knew it was a mistake the moment the words left his mouth. It never paid to get emotional in an argument with Dumbledore…

“You’ve agreed to do this my way, and that’s all there is to it,” said Dumbledore firmly, and Snape heard the finality in his voice.

Dumbledore resumed walking, and Snape followed. There was always his own backup plan, the one he had never discussed with the Headmaster. If it came to it, Snape had resolved, he would stop Draco himself, Vow or no Vow. He was done with letting others die for his own mistakes. An odd sort of peace followed this resolution.

“Just keep an eye on the boy as you have all year, Severus,” Dumbledore said, breaking the awkward silence that had followed his command. “You’re supposed to be making investigations in your House; the necklace incident has provided a fine pretext.”

“Very well, Albus,” Snape said calmly.

A low-hanging branch blocked the path, and Dumbledore heedlessly pushed it aside with his right hand. Snape frowned at Dumbledore’s sharply indrawn breath.

“You did all that could be done, Severus,” Dumbledore said softly.

“It still pains you, when you exert pressure upon it? The potion is not helping?” asked Snape.

“You told me yourself you doubted it would,” Dumbledore reminded him.

“Let me have a look,” said Snape. Dumbledore stopped and extended his right arm, as the globe of yellow light returned to hover over the pair, permitting Snape to see the blackened, withered hand clearly. Snape took it gently in his hands, his cold black eyes narrowing in concentration as he turned it carefully to examine it from several angles.

“It has not spread since summer,” Snape stated. “Not visibly, anyway.”

“It has not worsened, Severus,” Dumbledore reassured him, taking his arm back. “The potion is working just as you intended.” He continued down the path, Snape beside him.

An accomplishment, of sorts, Snape recognized. Snape had never before encountered a Dark curse of such virulence and power. It galled his professional pride that he could do no more, but honesty compelled him to admit, at least to himself, that he had been lucky to succeed as far as he had. This reminded him of yet another detail he had almost overlooked.

“I have written down the recipe for that potion, Albus,” Snape said. “I want you to know where it is, in case…” he trailed off, leaving that thought unfinished. “I’m not sure exactly how or when I’ll be leaving, or how free I will be to communicate immediately afterwards,” he added coolly.

“I understand,” said Dumbledore gently.

“The left middle drawer of the desk in my office has a false bottom,” Snape explained. “I have left a copy there. It is…tricky, but should be within Horace’s power to make.”

“Thank you, Severus,” said Dumbledore, his blue eyes misting slightly.

Snape looked down at the ground, as if unsure of his footing in the gathering dark. He did not trust himself to speak. Dumbledore said nothing further, and the two men walked on, the stillness of the forest now disturbed only by the occasional call of a night bird.
Before long, the trail led to a narrow stream dotted with stepping-stones.

Dumbledore spoke up. “We’re close to the castle, here. I’ll go on across the stream.”

“Very well, I’ll return by another route,” Snape agreed. As Dumbledore and his globe of yellow light crossed the stream, Snape turned away and seemed to fade into the blackness of the Forest.



The Long Night by xenasquill [Reviews - 7]

>>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved