Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Moonlit Memories by olivialynlee [Reviews - 4]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

As she made her way down into the dungeons, Serena firmly gripped the handle of her black leather potions bag. The coldness of the lower level of the castle seeped through her clothes, chilling her fingers and toes. She felt a shiver travel up her spine as she peered into the shadowy corners, wondering what was hiding there. Finally, she found the door she was seeking. Standing still for a moment, she mentally prepared herself to see the acerbic professor. Knocking quietly, she waited for a reply. Hearing none, she knocked a little louder. After waiting several moments, she opened the door and stepped inside the large room. Looking around, she quietly called, “Professor Snape?” Not seeing the moody man, she relaxed, the tenseness leaving her body. Standing in the middle of the room, her curiosity got the better of her.

Walking to the far side of the wall, Serena studied the glass jars filled with various objects, powdered substances, and creatures. She placed her bag on a table and made her way over to the extensive bookcase overflowing with potions manuals and textbooks. Suddenly, she gasped. Pulling a dusty book from the bottom shelf, she blew the dust off and smiled brightly. The man actually had a copy of Herbert Mullins’ Potions for the Modern Age. Despite the current sounding title, it had, in fact, been published about 600 years ago. Serena had searched for this book while she was a student at Andréa’s. A book dealer in Nice had informed her that only three copies still existed. It had definitely been out of her price range. She looked around and saw a nearby table. Hopping up, she drew her legs under her and opened the precious book.

Serena was unsure how long she sat reading. She was engrossed in the chapter discussing the use of wormwood in sleeping draughts. Suddenly, she heard a cold voice address her.

“Do you often enter other people’s classrooms and help yourself?”

Serena’s head whipped up and she dropped the book on the floor. Sliding off the table, she picked up the book and dusted it off, inspecting it for any damage that had been caused. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw none.

She smiled at Severus and held the book up. “You have a copy of Potions for the Modern Age. I have been looking for this book for ages. Where did you get it?”

He walked over, plucked the book from her hands and flipped through it. Looking back up at her, he smirked. “I am well aware, Professor Daniels, of the books contained in my classroom. As to where I got it, that is not important.” Placing the book back on the shelf, he turned around, noting the resentment on her face. “To what do I owe this visit?”

Serena balled her fists, pushing her nails into the palms of her hands, focusing on the pain rather than her anger. She smiled sweetly at Severus. “Oh, didn’t Albus talk to you?”

Severus nodded stiffly, recalling the uncomfortable discussion with Dumbledore just a few moments ago. He couldn’t believe the nerve of the man. It was almost as if he was purposely pushing them together.

“Yes, he did. It seems I have no say in who may enter my classroom.” He glared at her. “When you are assisting my class, I would prefer you not to talk, answer any questions, or even to smile at the students. It takes away from my teaching style.”

“And what style would that be? Scaring the students to death? Intimidating them into making foolish mistakes?” She kept the sickeningly sweet smile on her face to mask the intent of her words.

Snape just stared at her, unsure if she was teasing him or insulting him. He cleared his throat. “Dumbledore mentioned something about a potion that you needed?”

Serena grabbed her bag off the table and pulled out the scroll that listed the ingredients and directions. Handing it to Snape, she watched as he studied it. His forehead creased and his lips moved silently as if making mental notes. He looked at her suspiciously.

“What exactly is the purpose of this draught? It seems extremely powerful for monthly use. Are you sure that it is not addictive?”

“I assure you, Professor Snape, it is not addictive. And as for the purpose, that is not important.” She smirked at him in perfect imitation of his earlier remark.

For a second, Serena thought she saw a faint smile. However, she blinked and it was gone. Looking into her bag, he began pulling out her ingredients. Serena stood by helplessly, wondering if he would actually allow her to assist him, or if she would be banished to the back of the classroom.

Glancing up, he sneered. “Are you going to assist me, or are you just going to stand there?”

‘Ask and you shall receive,’ Serena thought. She gave Severus a brilliant smile and moved closer to the table. “What would you like me to do, Professor?”

‘Her eyes almost sparkle when she smiles,’ Snape thought. Then he shook his head. ‘Where did that insane notion come from?’ He glared at Serena, mentally blaming her for the traitorous thought.

“Let’s start simple, shall we? Why don’t you go and get a cauldron off the back table.” He smirked at her sudden look of annoyance. She pulled her wand from her pocket and waved it towards the back of the room. The cauldron appeared on the table in front of Snape.

“Congratulations. You can follow an easy direction. Perhaps you will be a suitable assistant after all.”

Wagging her finger at him, she smiled faintly. “Now, now, Professor. It is only going to be for two days. Don’t get too used to ordering me around.”

Severus wondered if there was a slight warning under the playful words. He smirked and turned his attention to the scroll in front of him. Serena watched with interest as he carefully measured, chopped, and stirred the ingredients. She could see why his skills as a Potions Master were respected. He was conscientious about every ingredient, making sure to add it at precisely the right moment, and following the directions exactly as written. In a little over an hour the potion was a pale yellow. Severus leaned back and wiped a hand over his forehead. Serena held out a towel for him to use. She had grabbed it off the ingredients table after noticing the perspiration on his face. He smiled gratefully at her, using the towel to wipe his face. Serena stared in shock. He had actually smiled at her. It wasn’t even followed by a snarky comment. Perhaps she had misjudged him.

“Why are you grinning like an idiot?”

Then again, perhaps not.

“No reason, Professor,” she replied.

She watched as Snape carefully poured the potion into seven glass vials. Capping each one, he used the towel to wipe off any residue on the outside. He then proceeded to precisely label each vial in his small, neat print. Serena watched a self-satisfied grin come over his face as he finished. Creating potions seemed to make the man truly happy. Serena smiled in spite of herself. She knew what it was like to love what you did. The feeling could not be contained or replaced.

“Thank you, Professor Snape. I am in your debt,” Serena said quietly.

Glancing at her sideways, he replied, “You’re welcome.” Turning back to face the cauldron, he pulled out his wand and began to clean up the mess. As he did, Serena very cautiously placed each glass vial into the separate compartments in her bag. Closing the bag, she looked around and realized everything was back in place.

“Is there anything else you require, Professor? Otherwise, I am quite famished and will see if I can find something to eat before your first class.” She smiled brightly.

Snape shook his head no.

“Thank you again, Professor.” Picking up the bag, she walked towards the door.

“Severus.”

Serena turned, a question in her eyes. “Excuse me?”

“If we are to be working together for the next few days, then I would prefer if you would call me Severus.” His eyes never met hers.

“Then I would like it if you would call me Serena,” she replied. She opened the door. “See you in an hour, Severus.”

He watched her leave the room, her voice hanging in the air. He liked the way she made his name roll off her lips. It felt almost like a caress. Mentally shaking himself, he stalked to his desk and sat down. He pulled the second year essays towards him and started grading. It wasn’t long before he was lost in the stupidity of the students.

Serena placed the potions bag on her bed. Pulling out a vial, she studied the handwriting on the label. Smiling to herself, she placed it back in its compartment and slid the bag under her bed. Making her way towards the Great Hall for breakfast, she decided once and for all that she had misjudged the prickly Severus Snape.

Moonlit Memories by olivialynlee [Reviews - 4]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved