Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Drabbles & Poetry

For His Mother by wolfmom [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


We need to talk," Eileen said firmly to her son the moment they had apparated back home to Spinner's End.

Severus didn't like the sound of that.

"The good news is that you are definitely a wizard and a very strong one too. But what you did today was utterly unacceptable. That boy's parents threatened to sue us."

Severus knew from reading his father's newspapers what a lawsuit was; he and his mother couldn't possibly afford one. His stomach lurched at the thought. What if his mother went to prison? What if the Ministry of Magic became involved, and she went to Azkaban?

With a heavy sigh, Eileen went on, "Severus, anger is one of the strongest weapons magical people possess. But like any other weapon, it is useless unless you control it. Knocking that boy into the wall is not what you intended to do, is it?"

Severus, realizing his mother already knew the answer, shook his head. "No, Mum."

"I wasn't expecting to do this so soon, but I am going to teach you how to control your emotions and your magic."

The boy felt a surge of hope. "Mother, will you teach me Legilimency?"

"No, son, but if you learn to control your emotions, when it does come time for you to learn, Legilimens and Occlumency will be easier to master."

Severus' shoulders slumped.

"And as for today, since this is your first show of magic, you will not be punished. But if this ever happens again," she said, her eyebrows rising, "the punishment will be severe. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Mum," Severus answered.

"But now, your homework," Eileen said.

The boy thought about telling his mother that he had none, but he knew she would see through the lie.

"Give me your books," she ordered, stretching out her hand.

Reluctantly, the boy handed over his bookbag. Eileen reached in and pulled out his math text. She flipped it open and froze. Her face contorted into a frightening study in rage.

"You WROTE in your BOOK!" she hissed, her eyes blazing. "Are you aware of how much books COST? And in ink! I can't even do a Cleansing Charm on the book now without possibly damaging the print! And what if this had been a magical text? Did you know you could ruin any ENCHANTMENTS on a book this way and make it WORTHLESS? Don't you EVER write in a book again!"

She emphasized that "ever" with a slap to the boy's cheek.

Severus looked up at her, his eyes welling with tears of pain, shock, and devastation. Eileen's sallow face drained of color as she stared at the red imprints her fingers had made.

The boy began to cry silently.

"G-go to your room," the woman managed to whisper hoarsely.

The boy took his books and ran upstairs.

Eileen fell back on the sofa, shaking all over. She couldn't believe it; she had just slapped her child-her baby. She deserved the razor strop her own parents used to beat her. Damn that mill and the boss who yelled at her that she couldn't do anything right fifty times a night. Damn those women who said nasty things and tried to get her fired. Damn damn DAMN all the accidents-and her exhaustion. How the hell could she teach her boy control when she herself had none?

She wanted to apologize, but she knew it was something parents just didn't do. She had had it drummed into her head from an early age that apologizing was a sign of weakness. But she could do something to make him feel special. It would be best to wait, but Eileen didn't have time for that.

She opened her mother's ancient cookbook and found the family recipe for chocolate gateau.




"Severus, dinner's ready. Have you finished your homework?" Eileen asked.

"Yes, Mum," the boy replied honestly.

His mother took out her wand and, with a wave, made the red marks on his face disappear. Then she led him downstairs. After their usual meager meal, she floated the cake to the table and gave Severus a thick slice. As he ate it, he mulled over the events of the day. 'Mother's making it up to me,' he thought, keeping his head down so the woman couldn't see his eyes. 'Maybe I should get her to slap me more often.'

'That is,' he thought with a shudder, thinking about what his mother had said about lawsuits, 'if after what happened today there's any more chocolate cake to be had...'

For His Mother by wolfmom [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved