Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Making Ends Meet by Obadiah Slope [Reviews - 7]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

A last offering before HBP comes out on Saturday and I discover, to my horror, that Severus *doesn't* have a girlfriend called Rosie... sigh.

Chapter 33: A Serious Discussion

When Rosie arrived for work the day after seeing Severus off, she found that she was ten minutes late. Sneaking past her supervisor’s desk – the infamous Jolly Joan – she found her desk under a pile of paperwork and sat down.

Opposite her was her colleague, Julia, who also doubled up as a handy friend. She was a rotund woman in her forties with two lively children, currently studying under Severus’ maverick style of teaching. On her desk, Rosie noticed that Julia had a vase of flowers and a large box of chocolates. It looked as though she had been spoilt this weekend.

Presently, Julia was using the intercom system to calm down a fraught Minister.

“Look, Mr…what did you say your name was?” There was angry shouting from the other end of the line. “Right, Mr Pritchard, well, I’ll get Joan to give you a call later today. She’s much more competent than I am…” Rosie smiled and Julia winked at her in greeting. “I’m afraid – oh, my goodness, the Minister for Magic has just popped by! Yes, he regularly checks on the department…really must go…” She put down the intercom receiver.

“The Minister for Magic?” repeated Rosie, smiling. “He gets around.”

Julia shook her head. “Why do we do this pointless job?” She sighed. “Pritchard, in the Department for the Control of Magic Farming Stock, has just realised that he accidentally authorised a heard of magical Ayrshire cattle to be let loose in a field that just happens to be next to a Muggle farmer’s one. Somehow the cattle got into the Muggle farmer’s field – and, guess what? – it gets better – the Muggle farmer sold them all at market. God knows where they’ve got to now!”

Rosie laughed and sorted her papers slowly.

“And that’s not it, is it? Instead of us lot helping Pritchard get the bloody cows back, we’re supposed to cover the story and make sure that the press don’t get hold of it by monitoring carefully the motions of the news desks – which basically means that I have a lot of people to get hold of, and make sure the Prophet is sold enough money to keep quiet. Honestly, any old Muggle could be choking on that meat, and we don’t give a damn.”

“Ah – lucky I get the good jobs, then, isn’t it? I have to go and talk to…” she read her notes carefully “…Ms Williams of Brighton and check on the shipment of magical “Wonder Whelks” that have just come into the country. Apparently they are a very good, but illegal, aphrodisiac – maybe I could sneak some home?”

Julia laughed heartily, only to earn a glare from Joan.

“These are nice,” Rosie commented, looking at the flowers that were nestled on Julia’s desk.

“Ooh!” cried Julia, gobbling down a chocolate. “I – so sorry – these aren’t mine! They came for you this morning!” She pushed them over onto Rosie’s desk. “I completely forgot! You got a card as well…” Julia smirked widely. “Are these from that dear boyfriend of yours? You know, my boys told me about him the other day.” Rosie shot her a look as she took the card from Julia. “Don’t worry, they don’t know that I work with their PM’s girlfriend – they just mentioned that he was on the warpath.”

“PM?” asked Rosie, opening the card. “I’ll tell him they call him that. He’ll be most pleased.”

“What does he say?”

Rosie frowned: she didn’t think that these were from him, somehow. He’d never sent flowers before.

Dear Rosie,

Congratulations! I confess that I knew in advance of my brother’s intentions, but I heard from him this morning to assert what I had hoped. Have a good day, and many happy returns. (I look forward to an invite to the wedding. I don’t like churches, loathe wedding cake, but adore champagne…)

Leticia


“It’s not from Severus,” said Rosie, beaming. “It’s from his sister.”

“His sister? What does she say?” Julia leant forward and craned her neck to read the message. “Here…have a choccie.”

“Cheers,” Rosie said, stuffing her mouth with one. “Mmm, these are good. Who gave them to you?”

“My husband. I don’t know what he’s done wrong,” she added suspiciously. “So? Why she writing? Thought you didn’t get on?”

Rosie set the card down and bit her lip, trying to contain her smile. “I haven’t told you something.”

Julia grinned. She adored gossip. “What?”

Rosie held up her left hand. “I’m getting married – Leticia was congratulating me!”

“Married!” she squeaked. “That’s marvellous!” She leant over the table and kissed her. “When? You looking forward to it?”

“Can we keep the noise down?” Joan had appeared and looked sturdily down at the pair of untidy desks.

“Aye, aye, Captain,” replied Julia, saluting.

“Certainly, Joan…” She walked away. “Just turn your hearing aid down a little…” The girls sniggered.

“You getting married, Rosie?” a male voice asked. Mark, a young man from another desk, was leaning over interestedly.

“I am!”

“Congratulations!” He kissed her on the cheek. “Give my best to…Cerberus, was it?”

Rosie scowled humorously. “Severus. I will.”

“Oi,” shouted Mark, standing up. “Everyone! Rosie’s getting married!”

Rosie put her head in her hands. “Severus wanted to keep this quiet,” she hissed across the table.

“Not much luck here, sweet pea,” sniggered Julia.

“Stand up!” Mark said, offering her his hand. Rosie complied reluctantly, seeing a room of people winking and smiling at her. They clapped heartily, and Rosie felt absolutely ridiculous.

“Thanks, everyone! Drinks on me, I suppose?” She shook her head and glanced at Julia. “This is going to be an expensive wedding.”

*

The staff room was decorated with balloons and streamers, and the staff were waiting impatiently for Severus to arrive. The door opened and Severus walked in, looking grumpy and tired.

“CONGRATULATIONS!” chorused the room.

Severus stopped dead in his tracks, looking utterly mortified.

“Congratulations for what? Have I reduced the thousandth child to tears?”

“For your marriage, silly!” corrected Sprout.

His jaw dropped. “My mar – how did you know?

The staff only grinned. Some secrets were worth keeping – especially when they made the usually pallid Potions Master turn red with rage from not knowing.

*

It turned out to be a hectic week for Rosie and Severus. The Potions Master managed to scrape the evening off work on Wednesday so that he and Rosie could tell a certain family member about the upcoming event.

Rosie’s parents had already been told, and they were, as to be expected, exuberantly happy and wished both the best of luck. At this present time, however, Maximus Snape was still in the dark, and it was with a heavy heart that Severus and Rosie made their way round to Manor View.

Severus was sweating as he made his way up to the house, and Rosie was silent, which seemed to highlight the fact that she, too, was concerned.

“I hate this. I hate the fact that he makes us feel like this.”

“I know,” Severus replied darkly. The entrance to the house lay of them, and Severus closed his eyes briefly before knocking on the door heavily.

The door opened and the couple came face to face with Leticia.

“What are you doing here?” asked Severus, his mouth agape.

Leticia smiled fractionally. “Maximus wondered why you were coming round –”

“You didn’t tell him?”

Leticia waved her hand impatiently. “No, no, of course not. But I did say that I would come round and support him.” She smiled at her own ingenuity. “I thought you might like a mediator present.” Severus could have kissed her.

“He’s in the front room, pacing,” said Leticia as they made their way into the entrance hall.

“Which room would be the front room?” Severus peered superciliously around the darkened hall.

Rosie laughed. “Big house, isn’t it?”

“It is,” replied Leticia. “Thanks to you he bought it, Severus,” she added. “As mother died at the hands of Death Eaters, the Ministry gave him compensation for his loss.”

Severus raised his eyebrows. “I see.”

“Edith would be pleased, you know,” his sister continued. “She always hoped we’d marry well.” Rosie grinned.

“Ah, you’re here.” A harsh voice reverberated from the drawing room and Maximus stood in the doorway, looking out at the gathering in the hall. “Come in.”

Taking a deep breath, the couple moved into the room, Leticia following after them.

Severus looked around as he entered the room, which he supposed he would have termed the living room. Large leather sofas sat imposingly in the midst of the floorspace, and a fire crackled vibrantly in a large stone hearth. Severus’ eyes narrowed as they continued their inspection of the room: he noted that there was a conspicuous lack of warmth, or compassion, in this room; a lack of books; a pleasant lack of alcohol.

“So?” Maximus asked, his back to them, his hand on the mantelpiece. “What do you need to say?”

Severus cleared his throat and squared his shoulders. This was an announcement – not a conversation. He would say what needed to be said and then leave. “It is more of a statement.” He blew some air out through his lips and swallowed.

“A statement?” asked Maximus, turning around sharply and surveying them darkly.

“Indeed.” He wished he hadn’t phrased the sentence so definitely. All in the room knew that, with Maximus, it was best to have room to manoeuvre.

Maximus’ eyes swept over Severus, Rosie and Leticia suspiciously. “Well, get on with it.”

Severus stiffened. “Rosie and I are engaged to be married.”

The fire crackled and Maximus walked towards them. “Married?” There was a long and drawn out pause as Maximus looked at Severus harshly, the lines of his face deepening and his eyes lit up with malice. “What can I say?”

‘Congratulations’ is customary,” Leticia replied bitingly.

Her father appeared not to hear her and glanced at Rosie briefly. “You’re getting married to this – Muggle?

Rosie’s sense told her that it was best not to say anything, so, naturally, Rosie found that her mouth opened and spoke, rather coldly, to Maximus. “Witch, actually…Muggles can’t do magic.”

Maximus disregarded this. “How could you?” he barked at his son.

“You have known for some time about Rosie and myself,” Severus snapped.

“When did you propose?”

Severus squirmed uncomfortably. “On Saturday.”

“It’s taken you five days to tell me?”

Leticia clucked her tongue. “I do wonder why that was?”

“Goodness, I don’t know,” said Maximus angrily, turning on Leticia. “Because my son is the worthless by-product of a selfish wife and a failed marriage?”

Leticia’s eyes rolled. “Oh, for goodness –”

“Come, Leticia! Don’t be fooled by this!” He pointed an accusing finger at Severus. “He cared so much for his family that he butchered his own mother in cold blood. He is a no good bastard,” he barked, grabbing Severus by the collar of his robes “who dishonours my name at every opportunity –”

“He did what you never could, Maximus, and that’s the truth of it.” Leticia eyed him coldly. “Could it be the current situation that we find ourselves in means that Severus was reluctant to tell you of his engagement? Open your eyes, father! Rosie is the only good thing that has happened to this family in years and she is on the brink of being refused permission to marry Severus…I wonder why Severus did not wish to tell you of his plans?”

“I wanted our family to be pure!” Maximus exploded suddenly, and Rosie shook her head in distaste. This was beginning to sound familiar.

“So did my family!” cried Rosie suddenly. “They wanted me to be normal, too, you know! How do you think my parents felt when they found out that their darling, ordinary daughter was a witch?”

“That’s not the same.”

“Yes, it is!” said Rosie defiantly. “My parents wanted me to be as they had been – they had no reason to believe that it would be otherwise; but when they knew what I was, they realised how desperately they wanted me to be normal. They didn’t feel in control, they had no idea what I was being taught at that school – my dad thought my mum was having an affair, for Christ’s sake!” Rosie looked around. “I am part of world to which my parents can have no role in; how do you think that makes them feel? How do you think I feel?”

Maximus looked away.

“They wanted me to go to secondary school, you know – and take my exams, and go to university, and get a job in the medical world, and get married. That’s not what happened, though, is it?” Rosie lowered her voice. “It’s not what they planned, but they accepted it, because they love me, and because they know that to deny me what – to deny me to be who I am… I might have been a corruption of their blood, but they sodding well still adore and accept me.”

Severus put his hand on Rosie’s back to placate her, but she continued. “How can you actively choose to cast our your son when my parents would do anything to understand my world? This is my world, Maximus. I’ve belonged here since birth.”

“It shouldn’t be…”

“Yes, it should. I was born with these talents, and I’ll use them.”

Maximus came forward to Severus. “This has gone on too long.” He bowed his head. “It seems to me that our relationship…”

Severus’ face tightened. “Save it.” His lip curled and his words looked as though they were causing the speaker nothing but acute pain. “I have no desire to bother any more. Go drink yourself to death, Maximus – go and join mother, for all I care.”

Maximus’ lips were twitching. “You should go.”

“I beg your pardon?” Leticia interrupted tartly. “After everything that Severus has done for you, you’re just going to order him to leave?”

Rosie couldn’t help but smile quickly at Leticia’s words.

“I didn’t mean that…I appreciate all he has done for me, recently…” He turned back to his son. “I just meant that – sometimes it’s wiser to admit the truth… You are more different than I could ever have imagined.” Maximus looked at Rosie with a sober expression on his face.

“Edith would have been proud, boy.” Maximus swallowed. “And so am I. To be so defiantly and rebelliously Hammel after all I have taught you…” He smiled and looked around. “I am defeated. Rosie belongs with you, and I do not. I give you my blessings, and I will come to the wedding.” Severus and Rosie looked at each other. “But after that, I think a vague distance would be a good course.”

“You wish me gone?” asked Severus.

“No, you wished for an understanding, and I think we finally have one.” He held out his hand. “I will always be around. Will mutual acceptance suffice?”

Severus frowned and closed his eyes. “It will do,” he muttered and put his hand into Maximus’.

“Good.” He embraced Severus and then stepped back. “Take care – and I look forward to an invite.”

*

They sat, and pondered. Severus was sitting on the sofa in their house, his eyes glassy, his finger tracing the contours of his lips. Rosie looked over at him, concerned.

She walked to the other sofa and sat down next to him, moving her arms around his shoulders and dragging him down onto her chest. He lay rigidly for a time and then relaxed and nuzzled her shoulder and kissed the bare flesh softly.

“That’s why I don’t want children,” he muttered delicately.

“Sorry?”

Severus sat up and looked at Rosie. “That’s – ” He paused, looking tired and wan. “It matters not.”

Rosie looked at her deadened partner and rested her head on his shoulder, finding comfort in the familiar smell of him. “I’m sorry. It’s all my fault.”

Severus wrapped his arms around her. “It is not. It’s ironic that you’ve actually improved the relationship.”

“He doesn’t deserve to have a son like you. After everything!

“I warned you, did I not, that Maximus was a difficult man? I did not believe it a realistic target that we would ever be united – that we would ever be close. After your attack, he proved that he had not changed. At least we parted amicably… I am sure that is your doing.”

“I’m glad that it’s…well, are you happy with it?”

“No,” he replied glumly. “I shall never be happy with my father. He was, and still is, a tremendous disappointment. Sometimes things that are supposed to be joyous, just simply are not. I’ll manage without him; I have before. Perhaps it is wiser just to admit what will never be, rather than chasing an unachievable goal. It’s not he who is defeated.” He smirked without a trace of humour, as though it was merely something to occupy his lips with.

“I know you didn’t want to see him again. It’s my fault.”

“It is not your fault. You have achieved more than I thought possible. He does not drink as much, he accepts our marriage, he is coming to our wedding…” Severus smiled slightly. “You can’t understand how much change you have brought on him.” He kissed her temple. “And at any rate, Leticia is behaving herself…and Minerva and Albus threw a surprise engagement party today for me – well, us, I suppose. They act like family, of some sort or another.”

“They’re not your parents though.”

“I don’t see the fuss made about biological parents. As far as I can see, they act as mentors, guiding you through childhood and life, and, if you are lucky, they act as a sort of – friend, or companion. My parents guided me through childhood one way or another, so they fulfilled that obligation. As for being a friend, my mother taught me more about literature than any other woman I have met, and I have other people who fulfil the role as a mentor and companion. Have I missed that much?”

Rosie looked at him carefully. How could he make his statement seem so logical when she knew in her heart that his words were incorrect? When he put it like that, it didn’t seem like that much was lacking. For the briefest moment, she agreed with him; but then she thought of her own parents, and the bond that she could never achieve with anyone else. No, he had missed out on a lot, but if he didn’t realise or acknowledge it, she wasn’t going to tell him.

“I’m trying to be optimistic, Rosie. Don’t thwart it now.” He brought a hand up to her hair, brushing a stray lock behind her ear.

“Sev, can we talk about children – properly?”

His hand dropped listlessly. “Can we try not to argue about this?” Rosie kissed him reassuringly.

“I’ll start. All right – well, simply put…I’ve always wanted a family.” She stopped. How did she begin this conversation? It seemed to be a lot harder now that she had to organise her thoughts. “I suppose, I’ve just always thought it was the natural thing to do. When I was a teenager, I didn’t want children at that point, but I’d always considered that, one day, that’s what I would get.”

“Does that mean you want them, though? Or are children just an expectation?”

“Before I met you, they were an expectation.” Rosie stroked his arm fondly. “But – I can’t explain it – the idea of having kids with you – it’s a desire. I want kids, now. I want you to be their father.” She kissed him cautiously. “It’s a funny shift to explain.”

Severus sighed. “It’s the same idea for me, just in the complete reverse, I suppose.” He smirked. “Whilst you have always thought that children would just – happen, I have always thought that they would not. I have – just as you have always wanted children – always hated the idea of having them. It’s the same principle, just reflected.”

Rosie smiled slightly. “I’d never thought of that.”

“My father told me I was an ugly parasite who would never marry, let alone harbour a family; my school mates did nothing to dispel the idea that I would die a virgin; and my mother claimed that giving birth to her little darlings was the reason she was so unhappy.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “You can see why, then, children have never seemed the logical choice.”

“Doesn’t it make any difference that we’re in love? That we will look after the kids that we have?”

Severus snorted. “Oh, wonderful, as soon as we are wed, we have a menagerie of children destroying the tranquillity that we never had in the first place. Sleepless nights, mess, confusion – mood swings.”

“Are you worried I’ll become…ill?” asked Rosie cautiously. “Like your mother?”

“It concerns me.” Severus leant forward and looked at his shoes.

“You aren’t Maximus, you have to believe that,” she said firmly. “Do you think he would be worried about all the issues that you’ve raised?”

“No.” He slumped back against the sofa.

“And at any rate,” said Rosie, “I don’t want kids now.

“But you just said –”

Rosie shook her head. “I said that I’ve met the man that I want to start a family with, but, heavens above, under no circumstances do I want kids in nine months!”

“I don’t follow.”

Eventually, Severus, I want little ones. Not now. I want a few years together before we start a family. I want you to myself – I want to spend time as a couple. God forbid, if something did happen and we found difficulties, I wouldn’t want to introduce children to that mess.”

“You want to be cautious?”

Rosie smiled. “And young and reckless. I’m only thirty-three, Severus! I’ve got a few years left in me yet!”

“When were you thinking? How long?”

“I don’t know – four years, five years…whenever we’re secure and ready.”

Severus smiled. “So, I have five years to get used to the idea of starting a family?”

“We have five years of swearing loudly, and having loud arguments and raucous parties. And five more years of going out when we feel like it...and...doing other things without any consideration for tiny people's ears..." She winked.

Severus was silent; Rosie was worried. “What do you think?” she probed.

He rubbed his eyes tiredly. “I am not sure, Rosie.” He put his head in his hands. “I don’t believe myself capable of being a good father. However, the idea of having more time to accept this idea appeals to me. I did honestly think that you wanted them now,” he confessed lightly. “The prospect of having children in five or so years – if we are stable and secure – does…reassure me.”

“So, is that a ‘possibly’?”

He closed his eyes and grimaced briefly. “I don’t want to raise your expectations, only to dash them at a later date. I am by no means decided.” He looked at her sternly.

“Raise my expectations? Is that a ‘perhaps’?”

“It’s a possibility – yes.”

Rosie’s face lit up and her grin stretched from ear to ear. “Seriously? You mean that?”

He closed his eyes, pinched the bridge of his nose and nodded rather grimly. It was fairly obvious that Severus wasn’t convinced, but Rosie hadn’t been expecting even this much from him.

Rosie moved closer and kissed him on the shoulder.

They had made a great deal of progress in that one conversation, but it occurred to Rosie that Severus, at present, needed some good, old-fashioned support and encouragement. Maximus created an uneasy situation, and Rosie hated that their relationship was seemingly finished without being resolved. Also, she noticed that it was not the idea of children that worried Severus, but apparently the idea of fatherhood. His confidence was low; Rosie would be there to soothe him.

“Rosie,” Severus said softly, “would you like a bath?”

Rosie looked at him curiously. “A nice, relaxing, hot bath…filled with bubbles?” she asked hopefully, a grin spreading across her features.

“Strawberry-scented bubble bath, if you so wish.” He tried to sound distasteful, but he was barely concealing a smile.

“All right then,” said Rosie, standing up and pulling him to his feet. “It’s a date!”

They moved up the stairs together.


A/N: I am back properly, as exams have finished. There may be a small break, in August, when I get my results and lock myself away in a tall tower in despair. Cheers to those who have put up with the wait… Additionally, my thoughts are with anyone affected by the bombs in London last Thursday.

Making Ends Meet by Obadiah Slope [Reviews - 7]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved