Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Highly Improbable by Vocalion [Reviews - 18]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Ellcey. Welcome aboard!




HIGHLY IMPROBABLE


Chapter 29: Taking a Chance on Love



*~~~*~~~*


“What are you peering at, Albus?” Minerva McGonagall demanded, as she poured herself a mid-morning cup of tea.

Dumbledore left his position at the window to join her at the staffroom table. “An experiment in human nature. I am keen to learn if love really can conquer all.”

“You’ve been meddling, again, haven’t you?”

“I wouldn’t define it as meddling, precisely. I merely set the stage and allow my players to perform as they wish.”

“And, which of your unsuspecting thespians were you spying on a moment ago?

“Clancy and Severus. They’re preparing to leave on holiday together.”

“They are as mismatched a pair as I have ever seen – a Muggle and a former Death Eater. The poor child has no idea of what lies ahead for her, and I’m certain Severus has every intention of keeping it that way.”

“Now, Minerva. That young man may surprise us one day.”

“I think it’s highly improper the way you allow the two of them to carry on.”

“I don’t believe I take your meaning.”

“My eyes are old, Albus, but quite sharp. I see how Clancy fondles her pineapple pin during staff meetings, and how the corner of Severus’ mouth turns up whenever she does so. It’s obviously a signal of some sort between them,” McGonagall observed accusingly.

“Really? And to think all this time I assumed that while you were in the staff meetings you were concentrating on what I was saying.”

“You can make light of the situation if you wish, but the least Severus could do is marry her,” she continued. “Their… arrangement is unseemly in a school environment.”

“In Severus’ defense, surely you must understand that he is in no position to marry, at present. Their time together will be short. I don’t begrudge them their happiness.”

“What are your plans for Clancy once the war begins?”

“She will be sent away, of course. There is no place for her in the Order. Her presence would create complications.”

“Have you discussed this with him?”

“No, Minerva. When the time comes, I am hoping he will recognize it on his own and come to me to propose it himself."

McGonagall shifted uncomfortably in her chair. “You may think me a prude, and perhaps I am, but I was down in the kitchens a few days ago and I overheard one of the house-elves mention that it was time to refill the dispensers of chocolate sauce and whipped cream in Clancy’s shower.”

“Imagine that!” Dumbledore said in mock horror. “The younger generation has no appreciation for true debauchery. In my day, pomegranate juice was all the rage.”

With a disapproving glare, McGonagall transformed into a cat. Hissing defiantly, she sprang from her chair, and padded magisterially out the door.

Dumbledore watched her leave and shook his head slowly. “Poor Minerva. Such profound animal instinct, and yet she hasn’t the slightest notion of how to exploit it.”


*~~~*~~~*


Clancy waited patiently on the lawn while Snape grew more agitated by the minute. He had successfully enlarged Dumbledore’s flying carpet with an Engorgement Charm, but it would not obey his command to become airborne. He intended to test it thoroughly before they embarked on their journey.

FOAK! FOAK! FOAK!” Snape roared in frustration.

“Really, Severus. That sort of language is beneath the dignity of a professor.”

“’Foak’ is Arabic for ‘up’,” Snape explained impatiently. "The wretched thing won’t respond to Latin.”

“Here’s a thought,” Clancy said, trying to be helpful. “Perhaps it won’t react because we’re not sitting on it. If it were weighted down, it might sense that you are commanding it to take flight.”

“I am perfectly capable of handling this without any interference from you!

“Fine by me.”

Twenty minutes passed. Snape was nearly purple with rage. He flung his wand on the ground, spat on the carpet, and began kicking it.

After a time, Clancy sauntered over and knelt down to examine the fabric. In a matter of seconds, she diagnosed the problem. “You’ve placed the carpet on the wrong side. If you’d taken a moment to study the weave, you would have realized that the coarse side should be facing down.”

“I see very little difference.”

“Recognizing coarseness is an acquired skill. I’ve had a great deal of practice.”

Without comment, Snape retrieved his wand and flicked it, turning the carpet on its proper side. “Foak!” he muttered skeptically, and the carpet began to rise. Snape smiled conceitedly at Clancy, as if to suggest he had solved the problem without her assistance.

She applauded soundlessly. “Bravo.”

Snape wiped his brow in relief that the incantation had finally produced the desired result. “Tahat!

“It is rather warm,” Clancy agreed. “Why don’t you remove your cloak if you’re too hot?”

“‘Tahat’ is Arabic for ‘down’.” He regarded her coldly.

“Well, how was I to know? You're standing there wiping perspiration from your brow. so naturally I assumed you were too hot. Besides, nothing happened.”

“What do you mean, ‘nothing happened’?” Snape demanded.

“Look up.”

He glanced skyward. The carpet had not obeyed his command to descend. Hostility mounting, Snape screeched, “TAHAT!” The recalcitrant rug plummeted to earth with a resounding thud, directly on top of Snape’s head, knocking him to the ground.

As the hapless wizard struggled to free himself, Professor Dumbledore crossed the lawn to join them.

“You’re still here?” the headmaster inquired. “I thought you’d be well on your way by now. Are you having trouble, Severus?”

Pinned under the carpet’s heavy weight, Snape managed to poke his head free. He twisted and squirmed in an uncanny imitation of a glossy black beetle flipped helplessly on its back. “I have everything under control, Headmaster.”

“Excellent, Severus.” Dumbledore turned his attention to Clancy. “Have you packed everything you need?”

“Yes, Pomona loaned me her trunk. I lost mine last year. The house-elves prepared enough food for us for at least a week, and Severus shrank everything to fit in his pockets.”

Dumbledore drew Clancy aside to speak with her privately. “No matter what happens, just remember: I trust Severus, and you should too. Try to keep an open mind.”

“Aunt Hilly raised me to be tolerant. Whatever it is he’s done, I’ll accept it and still love him.”

"I hope you will, Clancy.” He smiled compassionately. “To err is human; to forgive – goes against the nature of most women, but do your best!”

Dumbledore hurried away before she could respond and approached Snape, who had finally extricated himself.

“Remember, Severus: Honesty is the best policy.”

I am delighted you feel that way, because in all honesty, I think you’re a meddlesome old fool who should learn to mind his own business. Now, take your damn twinkle and leave us the hell alone!

“Yes, Headmaster.”

Being a master Occlumens does have its advantages, you miserable nuisance!

“Well, I’ll be off and leave you two to your adventures. Bon voyage!” Dumbledore walked a few paces and then turned back to Snape. “Oh, that reminds me. Severus?”

“Headmaster?” he responded, inclining his head respectfully.

“Upon your return, do devote a portion of your holiday to brushing up your Occlumency skills. You’re slipping.”


*~~~*~~~*


After another half hour had passed, Snape was convinced that he could control the flying carpet. “Step on,” he told Clancy.

“You’re sure you know how to navigate that thing?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Hop on and be quick about it. We’ve already wasted enough time.”

“‘We’?”

“All right, me then,” Snape admitted. “Let’s go.”

Clancy climbed aboard and sat down. Snape folded his arms and stepped on behind her. He commanded the carpet to rise, and they were on their way.

“How does the carpet know where you want it to go?” Clancy wondered.

“It’s Dumbledore’s secret. He explained it to me this morning. I tap my wand in the center to make it fly forward, or on the corresponding corner to make it turn left or right.”

“Most impressive. And, so far, this flight is even smoother than the flying horse and sleigh.” Clancy glanced over her shoulder and looked up at Snape. “Why don’t you sit down? You’re not planning on standing up for the entire journey, are you?”

Snape didn’t feel particularly relaxed, but he decided to take her suggestion. He sat down, placing his arms around Clancy’s waist, and she leaned back against him.

“Severus?”

“Hmm?”

“Why did the house-elves prepare so much food? Won’t we be dining in a restaurant or at our hotel later this evening?”

“No. We are going camping.”

Camping? I hate camping!” Clancy protested. “You’re not exactly the outdoor type, and neither am I. You might have consulted me.”

“Wizard camping is much different from Muggle camping. You will be quite comfortable. The food will cook magically over the campfire. You won’t have to lift a finger.”

“Well, that doesn’t sound too bad,” Clancy decided, “but, what about wild animals?”

“I have my wand with me this time. I will protect you. I rather doubt we will run into any more charging bulls. In the Scottish Highlands, we are likely to see only game birds, rabbits, red squirrels, or perhaps a pine marten.”

“A pine marten?”

“It’s related to a weasel,” Snape explained.

As they proceeded north, Snape debated with himself when the best time would be to make his confession. Perhaps now, while we are in the air. If she takes it badly, at least she won’t be able to run away from me. She’ll have to rely on me to land us safely, too. This might be my most propitious opportunity.

The weather was warm and clear, with a slight breeze. Snape flicked his wand and a green velvet bolster pillow appeared behind them.

“This should make us more comfortable,” he told her, as they settled against it.

He flicked his wand, again. Clancy shivered. “Severus, what did you do? I felt a cold chill run through my body.”

“I applied a Disillusionment Charm so we won’t be spotted by Muggles. It has that effect. When I remove it, you will feel a warming sensation. It should not be too unpleasant.”

She snuggled into his arms and they began kissing. Snape realized that he might be forfeiting this pleasure soon by divulging to her his darkest crimes, and the mere thought of it was agonizing for him. I may as well do this sooner than later. Why does happiness always elude me?

“Happiness must be earned,” Clancy said, and then sighed contentedly.

Snape regarded her, alarmed by her peculiar remark. “What did you say?”

“Happiness must be earned,” she repeated. “Why are you looking at me so strangely?”

“Can you read my thoughts?”

“You mean, like Albus? Of course not. I’m not illegitimate, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Legilimens,” Snape corrected. “What did you mean, then?”

“Aunt Hilly and I used to attend silent film revivals. One of our favorites was the full-length restored version of The Thief of Bagdad. This flying carpet reminded me of it. The story is about a disreputable vagabond who wins the love of a beautiful princess, only to lose her when he confesses his true nature. He wins back her love by performing a good deed. At the end of the film, they take off together on a flying carpet, and the twinkling stars in the heavens spell out ‘happiness must be earned’, which is the moral of the film. Isn’t that romantic?”

Snape became pensive, for a time. The sly old fox! He must have known Clancy would be familiar with that film. He must have used Legilimency on her, or perhaps Aunt Hilly mentioned it to him in a letter. I’ll wager he devised all this deliberately just to make my revelation easier on the both of us. Twinkling stars, indeed! Whenever something twinkles, Albus Dumbledore is, without doubt, behind it.

There would never be a more opportune time than now, Snape realized. He gazed into her soft, innocent eyes. Please, Clancy. Please don’t abandon me. Please don’t despise me. Feeling as though there were an anvil lodged in his stomach, he clenched jaw and began.

“Stay in my arms, but look straight ahead. I am going to tell you about my past, but I cannot bear to look in your eyes while I do so. Will you do this for me?”

“Yes, Severus.” Clancy turned her head away from Snape and studied the expanse of sky in front of them.

“When I left Hogwarts, I had no plans for my future. I knew a great deal about the Dark Arts and I knew I wanted to conduct Potions research, but beyond that, I was directionless. One evening I decided to attend an orientation with some of my Slytherin acquaintances. The Dark…the, er, leader of the group was looking for young men who were interested in preserving our Wizarding heritage and increasing their knowledge of unexplored forms of magic. He offered us wealth, position, and power. He seemed quite impressed with my qualifications and promised me employment as his personal potions-maker, as well.”

“I jumped at the chance, not fully realizing what my duties would entail. I was asked to swear my allegiance by receiving the mark you’ve seen on my forearm that very night. Before I understood fully what was happening, I was pushed to the ground, my robes were stripped off, and the Dark Mark was burned into my flesh.”

“Although my main responsibility was to brew potions, I was expected to prove my loyalty on occasion by performing unspeakable deeds.”

Snape felt Clancy tense in his arms. He paused for a moment and then continued. “To save my own miserable skin, I…I murdered three innocent people – a farmer and his wife and son. Because I hesitated before killing them, another Death Eater who was present reported me. Our leader decided to teach me a lesson for my disobedience. For the next hour, he hit me with one Cruciatus Curse after another. It was the worst pain I’d ever endured, and yet, I welcomed it for what I’d done to that family.”

Snape could not see Clancy’s face, but he could feel her trembling and knew that she was crying. “Are you all right?” he asked. “Shall I continue, or have you heard enough?”

“Go on,” she replied quietly.

“When I awoke the next morning, my body was still jerking involuntarily from the aftereffects of the Cruciatus. My hands were shaking so violently I couldn’t even grip my wand. All I could think of was how I could escape from the Death Eaters, but I was afraid I would be hunted down and tortured again.”

“As I lay there waiting for the convulsions in my body to subside, an idea came to me; there was only a slight chance that my plan would succeed, but I decided to risk it. Over the course of the next few weeks, I deliberately botched every potion my master ordered me to brew. When he summoned me to give account for my failure, I deceived him into believing that the residual effects of the Cruciatus Curse were responsible for my clumsiness.”

“If I could convince him that the tremors in my hands were preventing me from providing him with the Dark potions he demanded, I theorized that he would stop torturing me and leave me to my work, or he would kill me. I didn’t much care either way.”

“He decided to leave me to my research and never ordered me to participate in any more killings. He had plenty of other followers who were overjoyed to carry out his wishes in order to move up through the ranks. Whenever he felt the need to exert his control over me, however, he would have me accompany his assassins and watch as they tortured and killed.”

“After attending one particularly gruesome raid near Hogsmeade, I stopped into the Hog’s Head to collect my thoughts, and I overheard part of a prophecy that I thought would be useful to my master and help me to gain his trust. Eager to remain in his good graces, I revealed it to him, never realizing where the consequences would lead. When I learned how he had interpreted the prophecy and what action he intended to take, I contacted Dumbledore in the hope he would be able to prevent it. Unfortunately, my mistake led to the murders of two innocent people who had been classmates of mine. I felt overwhelming remorse for what I had done, and I went to Dumbledore afterward to try to make amends and avoid being sentenced to Azkaban. Because of his generosity and protection, I still live and breathe.” Snape paused, then added, “For the time being,” to play upon Clancy’s sympathy.

He waiting for her reaction, and then grew anxious when she didn't speak. “Clancy, tell me what you’re thinking.”

“How did you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Murder the farmer and his family. With a knife, with poison? How?”

“I used the Killing Curse. It was the same curse I used to exterminate the moth in your room the night I captured Black.”

“Why did your leader want them killed? What had they done?”

“They hadn’t done anything. He ordered them to be killed because he wanted their land and because they were…Muggles.” Snape reached for her hand, but she pulled away from him.

“Albus told me to judge you on the way I know you to be today, but how can I? At worst, I imagined that you might have robbed or vandalized a shop. I never expected anything like this. How can the headmaster justify employing you to teach children after what you’ve done? I don’t understand why he trusts you.”

“There’s much more that I haven’t told you. If you’ll give me a chance to explain -”

“I’m listening.”

“Dumbledore is the head of a secret order. I cannot go into anything specific, but the Dark wizard who was my master has fallen from power. He will one day return and pose the greatest threat to the Wizarding world that it has ever known. He will not rest until he has rid our society of all who are not pure-bloods. I offered my services to the headmaster as a spy the night he took me in and I have served him faithfully ever since. That is why he trusts me.”

At last, Clancy looked up at him. “Do you swear that everything you’ve told me is the complete truth? I can ask Albus for confirmation, you know.”

“I swear to you, Clancy, all that I’ve said is true.”

“This explains why Albus has been so reluctant to tell me anything. And, why you never take me anywhere. It all makes sense now. You’ve both been trying to protect me.”

“Can you forgive me for what I’ve done?”

Clancy reached for his hand. “I’ve always believed in you, Severus, and if Albus can give you a second chance, so can I. Do whatever it is you must do to defeat the Death Eaters, but there is something else I think you should do, as well.”

“Anything, Clancy. Name it.”

“To atone for taking lives, you must try to save lives. Not for me, but for your own self-worth. Such a gesture will not pardon you for what you’ve done, but it will be a step toward allowing you to forgive yourself.”

“Then, you intend to shun me as the princess shunned the thief in the Muggle film? You will not love me again until I perform a good deed?”

Clancy smiled sadly and drew her hand across Snape’s cheek. “I never said that. I’m no more a real princess than you are a prince. I’m only a pineapple princess.” She kissed him lightly and they clung to one another.

“I was afraid I’d lost you,” Snape whispered.

“You may yet,” Clancy warned him, “if I don’t hear those three little words soon that all women long to hear.”

Snape thought for a moment. He certainly wasn’t ready to verbalize his feelings, yet she had forgiven him so magnanimously, that he decided to meet her halfway. Brushing her hair behind her ear, he leaned in close. “Nicely you vocal.”

Clancy regarded him warily. “Those were not the three words I had in mind. Empty flattery will get you nowhere, and your syntax is rather peculiar,” she observed critically.

“You nice vocally.”

“That’s not much of an improvement. What are you playing at?”

“Anagrams, my lovely Lulu. It turns into four little words, however, not three.”

It didn’t take long for Clancy to catch on. “That was clever, Snapini. There may be hope for you yet. How did you work it out so quickly?”

“It came to me in a dream.”

They began kissing, and soon Snape’s kisses grew warmer and more prolonged. I did it! He congratulated himself upon his flawless handling of the situation. She knows the truth and she still loves me! I’ll prove to her that she hasn’t made a mistake in believing in me. I want her to be proud of me. Winning her respect is the most important thing in the world to me – next to receiving the Order of Merlin. And, the best part of all, Snape realized with a satisfied smile, I didn’t even have to give her the ring! I can have my Cauldron Cake and eat it too!


*~~~*~~~*


In the late afternoon, Snape landed the flying carpet in a remote grassy glade, and they hiked into a wooded area. He selected a location under a canopy of tall pines to pitch their tent. As Clancy waded in a nearby stream, Snape made all the necessary magical modifications. She rejoined him just as he finished.

“Severus, do you suppose someday we could return to the Kilty Pleasures? We were so happy there.”

“We may return sooner than you think,” Snape replied, with a mysterious smile. He parted the canvas flap and motioned for her to enter the tent.

Once inside, Clancy’s jaw dropped. From the outside dimensions, she had expected a couple of sleeping bags on the hard ground with barely enough room to stand upright. Instead, she found herself standing in an almost exact replica of their room at the Kilty Pleasures.

“Severus! It’s lucky Room Number 7! How is this possible?”

“Wizarding tents contain magical properties. I visualized how I wanted the space to look and performed the incantations. It was quite simple.”

Clancy moved about the room, examining everything carefully. The bed, the table, even the knotholes in the beamed ceiling were the same. She checked out the bathroom. The toilet, the tub and shower, the sink – everything was in place and in working order.

“Something is different,” she said, glancing from the table to the windows and then to the bed. “The tablecloth, the curtains, and the bedcovers were all of the same tartan. You’ve made them all different. It’s colorful, but it clashes terribly.”

“I am a man of many tartans,” Snape returned defensively.

“I think it’s wonderful; you’ve made me very happy.”

Snape removed his cloak and robe and laid them on a chair. He reached into one of the pockets and retrieved the food chest. “I’ll enlarge this, build a campfire, and prepare our dinner.”

“All right. I’ll freshen up a bit and join you in a moment.”

Clancy retreated to the bathroom while Snape went outside. After the long flight on the musty carpet and a trek through the woods, she decided she could do with a change of clothes. She realized Snape hadn’t enlarged her trunk yet, so she walked over to the chair and began rummaging through his robe pockets. She felt something small and velvety. Pulling it out, she noted that it was identical to the box that had contained her pineapple pin.

“Oh, fine,” she said aloud. “Knowing Severus, this is probably a pair of matching pineapple earrings.” Opening the lid, she peeked inside. Wedged in a slit of padding, was a silver ring. It was rather plain, nothing extravagant, but still, it was a ring!

Clancy’s heart skipped a beat and an ensemble of acrobatic butterflies began performing in her stomach. Now that Severus has confessed, he can ask me to marry him with a clear conscience. That’s why he’s hesitated so long – he was afraid of losing me. I bet he’s planning to propose tonight, right after dinner!

Returning the box to his pocket, she exited the tent. She thought it best to ask Snape for her trunk. She didn’t want him to think she had been snooping. She certainly did not intend to spoil his surprise. Clancy imagined him kneeling stiffly and with exaggerated formality, mumbling a terse declaration of his affection. She planned to respond in kind. She might even pretend to be thinking it over for a time to make him suffer. No, she decided. Severus has finally learned to trust me enough to tell me the truth. I will act maturely and accept him on the spot. He’s gone through enough, the poor darling.

Snape had dinner well underway. Two Cornish game hens were roasting above the fire as if skewered on an invisible spit, and a casserole of red potatoes was warming nearby.

“It smells delicious! My compliments to the chef!” she said cheerily. “When you have the chance, would you mind enlarging my trunk so I can change clothes?”

Nodding silently, Snape entered the tent and applied an Engorgement Charm, then returned to the campfire. They enjoyed a peaceful meal surrounded by the harmony of nature.

After dinner, they changed into more comfortable attire. Snape suggested they take a stroll. Hand in hand, they wandered along the banks of the stream until at last they paused to sit on a low rock. The setting sun produced pink shimmers across the water and the warm scent of pine hung heavy in the air. Snape bent down on one knee and reached into his pocket.

This is it! Clancy realized. Severus is going to propose! She was a bundle of nerves as she waited for him to speak.

“This is one of the most important moments of my entire life,” Snape began. “I never thought this would happen to me.”

“Really, Severus?”

He began clawing at the ground and pulled up a clump of earth. “Goodyera Repens!” he exclaimed. “A rare type of orchidaceate indigenous to the Highlands. I can use this in a Perspicacity Potion I’ve been trying to perfect!” Unfolding his handkerchief, he placed the precious flower upon it, refolded it carefully, and pocketed it.

“What a fabulous discovery! As soon as you perfect it, be sure to drink some of it yourself!” Clancy scooted off the rock and stormed back to the tent.


*~~~*~~~*


There was a distinct chill inside lucky Tent Number 7 as they prepared to retire. Snape knew he had done something to upset Clancy, but he could not determine precisely what it was. In his mind, he replayed the evening’s events. His magical transformation of the tent had pleased her. Dinner was edible; in fact, she had complimented him on his culinary skills. All had gone smoothly until they had stopped to sit by the stream. He was at a complete loss as to what could be bothering her. Perhaps she’d had time to reflect upon his Death Eater disclosure and decided she was not able to forgive him, after all.

Clancy continued to fume. She undressed in the bathroom, and flopped into bed, gathering the covers tightly about her.

Snape slipped into the sheets knowing better than to attempt initiating intimacy. “Good night,” he said softly.

“Good NIGHT!”

“Are you angry with me?” he inquired uncertainly.

“Why didn’t you give it to me? You wasted a perfectly good opportunity. The two of us alone together in a woodland paradise, under a magnificent twilight sky - and what is paramount in your mind? Collecting PLANTS!”

“Why didn’t I give you what?”

“The ring! THE RING! How much longer do you expect me to allow you to take me for granted before I give up on you altogether?”

Merlin’s mendacious mandibles! So, that’s what this is about; she found the ring in my pocket! It’s not too late; I can placate her and gain her sympathy at the same time.

Snape cleared his throat and began. “I had every intention of giving you the ring tonight, but at the very last second, I decided it would be unfair.”

“What do you mean, it would be unfair?” she demanded.

Snape put on a pitiful face. “My undercover work for the Order puts me in a great deal of danger. I never know when I shall be called upon to serve. Once the war escalates, in all probability, I will not survive.”

“Severus!” Clancy moved closer to him.

“It’s true, I’m afraid.” He attempted to make his voice catch with emotion, but it came out as a pubescent squeak.

“Then why did you buy the ring in the first place?”

He gritted his teeth and squirmed. Why is she forever putting me on the spot? If she catches me in another lie, I’m done for. “I was expecting you to take my confession very badly. I purchased the ring with the intention of mollifying you in the hopes that you would not leave me.”

“I see. In other words, you want me to stay with you, but you have no intention of ever marrying me – is that it?”

“If I should survive the war, I might consider – ”

YOU might consider! You act as though you’d be doing me a favor!”

“I am merely endeavoring to paint a realistic picture for you. My future, at best, is uncertain.”

“What’s this idiot’s name, anyway?”

“Who?”

“The Dark wizard – the leader of the Death Eaters.”

“Even powerful wizards are afraid to speak his name. I refer to him as the Dark Lord, if you must know.”

“But surely he has a name! Why can’t you just tell me?”

“Many refer to him as He Who Must Not Be Named.”

“That’s ridiculous!” Clancy muttered. “It sounds like a riddle. Tomfoolery.”

“You’re not far wrong, at that,” Snape observed.

“Tell me his name. I demand to know!” she persisted.

“Very well. But you must promise never to repeat it in public – especially if you are away from the castle.”

“I promise. Now, what is it?”

“His name is…Voldemort,” Snape said, lowering his eyes.

“Voldemort?” Clancy thought about the name for a time and decided she didn’t like the sound of it. “So,” she snapped testily, “this Voldemort person recruits wizards that are stupid enough to do his bidding, and then tells them where to go and what to do?”

“Basically, yes,” Snape admitted sheepishly.

“Hmm. That must explain why his name is an anagram for 'dolt mover'!”

“How the devil do you do that?”

“Don’t change the subject.”

Snape reached for his wand and aimed it toward the chair. “Accio ring box!” he directed. The box flew out from his robe pocket and sailed across the room into his hand. He opened the lid and presented the ring to Clancy. “Take it.”

“Do you really want me to have it?”

“Yes. As a symbol and a promise of, what I hope, might one day be possible.”

“Then, the ring is mine to do with as I wish?”

Snape nodded.

“GOOD!” Clancy grabbed it, sprang out of bed, opened the tent flap, and pitched the ring far into the dark woods. She stomped back over to the bed and positioned herself as close to the edge of it as possible.

“In the morning, when you have come to your senses, I shall help you find it,” Snape informed her calmly. “In the meantime, you had better hope that a niffler doesn’t make off with it. You do know what a niffler is, don’t you?” he inquired haughtily.

“No,” she admitted sharply. “I’ve never niffled.”

“I shall overlook your ignorance and decide how to deal with your ingratitude in the morning. “NOX!” Snape growled, and the tent became as black as their moods.

The cantankerous couple fell into an uneasy sleep with a vast space between them.


*~~~*~~~*


Later that night, there was a scratching noise on the tent flap. It parted open and a long furry creature crept in. It sniffed its way around the room before curling up in a ball at the foot of their bed.





Name That Jarvey Contest

The last paragraph is a teaser for the next chapter. I will be introducing a Jarvey who will possess greater verbal skills than J.K.R. probably intended. If you would like to suggest a name for it, please leave your recommendation in a review or contact me by private e-mail. The winner will be selected at the sole discretion of the author. The prize will be an original poem based on your choice of one of the following:

1. You may ship yourself with any canon character.

2. You may ship any two canon characters together.

You may select the rating, but I warn you, I blush easily. The Jarvey is a male. Clancy will be naming it. Keep in mind the type of name she might select. Would it be something musical? Something to do with anagrams? The winner will be announced when the next chapter posts.

Miscellaneous Explanations

“It’s Dumbledore’s secret. He explained it to me this morning. I tap my wand in the center to make it fly forward, or on the corresponding corner to make it turn left or right.”

The above is to repay Sophierom for working “highly improbable” into one of her chapters to see if I would notice. I did. She is the author of Dumbledore’s Secret, and for those of you who cannot get enough of Snape with food, Sophierom has a WIP (Work in Peanut Butter) over at that insufferable know-it-all site. The Peanut Butter Chronicles

“I am a man of many tartans,” Snape returned defensively.

I inserted this line to amuse Grainne. One of her co-workers said that to her, and it struck us both as sounding so perfectly Snape-ish that we’ve been laughing about it ever since. Grainne is the author of Squidbait Returns, and also More Real Than This.

Bagdad/Baghdad: When The Thief of Bagdad was released in 1924, the name of the city was spelled without the “h” in the title of the film.



Highly Improbable by Vocalion [Reviews - 18]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved