Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

The Joys of Herbology by ShagsTheDustmop [Reviews - 0]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


“Really, there isn’t. You know I’d tell you if there was. The whole thing is really strange. I catch him watching me all the time, it’s quite creepy actually.” Mariah shuddered, recalling the intense look on Sirius’ face as he stared at her when he thought she didn’t notice. “He says he just wants to get to know me better but there’s something about him I just can’t seem to trust.”

“I don’t know, Mariah, he’s quite the catch. All the Gryffindor girls would be pulling their hair out in jealousy if you, a mere Hufflepuff, were to snag him. And it’s not as if he weren’t GORGEOUS.” Clearly Darby was captivated by Black’s charms.

Mariah sniggered and shook her head, “So what if he’s good looking. He’s quite full of himself and has enough feminine attention without my needing to add my name to the list. I told him he’d have better luck with Erin, maybe he’ll take my advice.”

Darby gasped, “You snubbed him? To his face? I bet he didn’t like that at all!”

“I dare say he didn’t,” replied Mariah, “ but that isn’t really my problem, is it? Look, can we talk about something else? I’m heartily sick of talking about Sirius Black already.”

Darby knew when to take a hint. “So how is your Herbology project coming along? You haven’t said much about it. How has it been, working with Mr. Gloom and Doom, anyway?”

“He has a name, you know. And it’s been fine, he’s really quite smart so I know I was right to want to work with him.”

Darby pressed on, “But isn’t it awful spending so much time with such a bad tempered lout? And one with poor personal hygiene as well? I mean, does he ever wash his hair?”

Mariah snapped, “He’s not that bad, Darby. He’s just a bit grumpy. And you would be too if people insulted you all the time. The boy’s got feelings, you know.”

Darby rocked back in her chair as she hypothesized, “Let me see if I understand this. You snub Sirius Black, one of the dishiest boys in our year, to his face. But then you jump all over me for insulting that greasy Slytherin git Snape, who incidentally deserves it.” She stopped rocking and stared across at Mariah. “What has Snape done to deserve such loyalty from you?”

“It’s not loyalty, it’s common decency. You’ve seen for yourself that just about everyone picks on Severus. Not just Black and Potter, but a bunch of his own Housemates as well. I’ve spent lots of time with him the past few months, and while I can’t say he’s the friendliest chap of my acquaintance he has been quite decent and certainly not deserving of scorn.” Mariah’s cheeks became flushed with the ferocity of her defense of her Herbology partner. “He’s bloody brilliant in the potions lab, and that’s more important to me than the grease content of his hair.”

“You like him, don’t you.”

“If by ‘like’ you mean ‘love’, then no, I don’t ‘like’ him. But I do actually like him somewhat, using like in its everyday context. He’s an interesting person that I am enjoying working with.” Mariah was beginning to feel very defensive. Why was it such a big deal, anyway? She noticed Darby’s attention had strayed; her friend was now looking above her. “What are you looking at?”

“Speak of the devil…” murmured Darby. Mariah saw a shadow form on the table before her and turned in her chair. Severus was standing behind her.

“Severus! Hi…” Mariah fumbled for words through her confusion. Snape was always so reluctant for them to be seen together, and with Darby watching like a hawk she couldn’t flat out ask why he’d come to her publicly. “Any news from Professor Fellis?” She decided on the first neutral topic to come to mind.

“Actually, yes. That’s why I stopped by. The reagent arrived last night, so we can continue with our work after classes today.” Was Mariah imagining things or was Snape smiling at her? “Can you stay behind with me after potions this afternoon to continue where we left off?”

Mariah nodded, “Sure, that would be fine.”

“Excellent,” said Snape with a smile. “I’ll see you in Herbology then.” He gave a polite nod toward Darby before departing for his own table.

A sly grin had crept across Darby’s face as she informed Mariah sagely, “I think he likes you.”

Mariah’s brow furrowed as she retorted, “Hardly. He’s just anxious to get back to work on the project.” She saw Erin and Bronwyn heading toward them and hurriedly whispered, “We’ll have to talk about this later!” before wishing her newly arrived friends a warm “Good Morning!”





After Potions, their last class of the day, Mariah and Severus resumed their experimentation on the ailing Graminis Socialis. They worked straight through dinner, since some of the experiments required careful attention. Still though, they could isolate no particular problem. None of the tests for viral or bacterial contaminants showed a positive result.

Late in the evening, when they were packing up their things to call it a night, Mariah turned to Snape and asked timidly, “Severus, can I ask you something?"

He looked up from his vials and at the tentative expression on her face. He considered for a moment, then replied, “Yes, what is it?”

“Why did you come up to me at breakfast this morning, instead of sending me a note? I’m sure we were seen by lots of people, even though it was still early.” Mariah’s large eyes were trained on him, still looking slightly nervous, as if she feared his answer. Was he that much of an ogre, he thought?

“I’m sure we were…I have been thinking and I’ve reconsidered my previous position regarding the need for discretion. Enough time has passed that our being seen together is not noteworthy in anyway, so undue precaution is no longer necessary.” Snape saw the tension leave her as she listened.

“Oh…that’s good then.” Her eyes began to twinkle. “So do I have permission to accost you during meals as well, then?”

Snape was confused until he remembered the vicious note he’d written at the beginning of the term. He felt himself blushing a little as he responded, “Accost to your heart’s content, fair Hufflepuff.” He was impressed with his own charm when Mariah responded by laughing delightfully. “Shall I accompany you back upstairs?” he asked.

“Please do,” she replied, “but not all the way to the dormitories. Our portrait would probably collapse in shock if she saw a Slytherin so close to our door.”

“Fair enough,” answered Snape, and the two of them set off out of the dungeon.

This is splendid, thought Snape. Now if the Hufflepuff and I are seen together publicly, it merely reinforces the delusion in Black’s mind that we have a romantic relationship. Far be it from me to tell him otherwise. The thought of hoodwinking Black in such a way made it that much easier for Severus to smile at Mariah and laugh at her witticisms.


The Joys of Herbology by ShagsTheDustmop [Reviews - 0]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved