Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

The Great Snape-Deveroux Grudge Match - Part I: The Parvenu vs. The Potions Master by Pigwidgeon [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


"All right, gang," Alicia said on the ground just before practice. An early fall breeze blew through her short black hair. "We've all played together before, except Ron. What's our main goal, now?"

"To win," piped up George.

"Or at least beat the bogeys out of Slytherin," grinned Fred.

"I hope we can do better than winning one or two games," Alicia scolded mildly; but she was grinning as well. "Seriously, though, what is our main objective?"

"To block goals!" exclaimed Ron.

"To bash bludgers," said Fred.

"To catch the Snitch," said Harry.

"Or to catch Harry if he falls off of his broom again," said George. Harry gave him a let's-not-bring-up-that-subject-again frown.

"Wrong," said Alicia. "All of you are wrong, although you came very close with your joke, George."

George returned a comical "Who, me?" look while Harry, Ron and Katie laughed and Fred pantomimed catching Harry and flying him safely to the ground.

"Quidditch isn't about scoring or catching or clobbering or even winning," Alicia lectured. "I know you will probably consider this heresy, but I want you to try to forget everything Oliver Wood told you. It's not about how well each of you do your jobs. It's about how well you work together. It's about teamwork. Do you know why Ireland won the World Cup last year? Teamwork. Bulgaria had the better seeker, but Ireland had the better team. Why? Because they functioned as a team instead of a collection of individuals. So today we are going to work on that. We are going to concentrate on teamwork rather than individual skills."

"Hang on a minute," Harry interrupted. "What about me?"

"You are still going to focus on catching the Snitch and staying on your broom, Harry," Alicia replied dryly while the others grinned. "But from now on, I want you to try to pay more attention to what your teammates are doing in addition to watching for the Snitch. I know that it won't be easy for any of us, but from now on I want all of us to be more aware of each other, to learn to think and act as one unit. Learn to anticipate each others' moves before those moves are even made. If we can master thinking and acting together as a team, then the others won't stand a chance against us. But more importantly, we will know that we can always count on each other to cover our backs. We will know that we can always depend on each other no matter how rough the game gets. Are you with me so far?"

Six heads nodded in agreement.

"Now then, lets talk about some team strategies that we've seen the pros use..."

After more talk on strategy, the players took off into their air on their brooms. Soon they were zipping around, trying new moves and teaching Ron the finer points of Quidditch. Ron was having the time of his life, if the wideness of his grin was any indication, Harry thought. Their summer practices at the Burrow had definitely improved Ron's flying skills.

But their practice and good spirits were about to be interrupted.

Whoosh!!! A rider and broom passed dangerously close to Harry. If he hadn't had the quick reflexes of the youngest Quidditch Seeker in a century, he almost certainly would have lost his balance and fallen. Harry dove to avoid the intruder, and looked up to see who could have pulled such a stupid stunt during a practice. He already had a good idea though.

Suspicion confirmed. Malfoy. And Draco wasn't alone. Eight other Slytherins had made a ring around the field.

"Draco Malfoy! What do you think you are doing???" hollered Alicia. "Can't you see we are practicing? We have this field reserved until 11 today!"

"Oh, is that what you are calling it?" said Malfoy, in his typical drawling, taunting fashion. "Could've fooled me. It looked like you were trying to catch butterflies! And Weasley," he said as he looked at Ron. "Was that a turtle down there you were trying to race? I think the turtle won!"

The other Slytherins laughed nastily.

"Ron! Don't move," ordered Alicia, because Ron looked like he was about to rush the smirking Malfoy. "Ignore them," she hollered to the rest of the team. "Keep practicing!"

The Gryffindor team swung back into action - or at least they tried to. But every time they tried to practice a move, Draco or one of his pals blocked their path.

"Get lost, you creeps!" Fred yelled, shaking his fist in the air.

"Beat it, Malfoy!" said Katie Bell, another seventh-year Gryffindor Chaser, as a Slytherin missed her head with his broom by mere inches.

"Malfoy, just because your father thinks he owns the Ministry -- because he's paid off half, and threatened the other half -- doesn't mean you run this school," Ron shouted angrily.

"I have an idea," Harry whispered to George, who was hovering on his right. He whispered what he had in mind to George, who grinned wickedly and nodded. "But we have to move lower," Harry said in a low voice. "As much as I'd like to, we can't kill them."

George snuck over to Alicia to whisper the plan, and it was quietly passed on down the line. Slowly, subtlely, the Gryffindor team got into a circle, backs to each other, and slowly lowered themselves until they were about eight feet off the ground.

"Oh goody: Ring around the Gryffindors!" said Malfoy, his eyes gleaming with evil delight. "My favorite game."

Just as Harry had hoped, the Slytherins drew their wide circle closer. Just a little closer, you idiots - that's it, Harry thought. He crossed his fingers for luck.

"Now!" said Harry, and as one, the team shouted "DUPLICTIS IPSE." Suddenly, the Gryffindor team looked like it had twice as many members, each riding brooms. Harry took off first towards the Slytherins, and the others followed suit.

The Slytherins, obviously taken by surprise, tried to turn and run, but each was soon knocked off their broom either by magic or by blunt physical force. Soon, there was a pile of Slytherins on the ground, and they were looking up at the still airborne Gryffindors with unfettered hatred.

"Should have paid more attention in Professor Deveroux's class," crowed Harry. "You know, that teacher who couldn't possibly teach us anything because she's Muggle-born ...."

"Oh shut up," snarled Malfoy, as he and the others stalked off, beaten and humiliated.

"You know," Ron said musingly, "I thought Professor Deveroux said that spell would only be good against slower, dumber creatures, like trolls. That it wasn't effective against more intelligent magic users."

"Well," Fred said impishly. "It doesn't say much for them now, does it?"

After a few cheers and high fives, the Gryffindor team resumed their practice, and the rest of their time was uneventful.

All too soon, they touched ground again and headed back to the castle for a late brunch.

After their meal, the team broke up, some to study in the library, some to go to the common room, or to other areas of the school grounds. Harry and Ron caught up with Hermione, who had been practicing some of the more complicated Transfiguration and Defense spells in one of the empty classrooms.

"So, how was practice?" Hermione asked, as Fred and George joined the three on their way back to the Gryffindor Common Room. The four Quidditch players were about to tell her what had transpired, when they saw someone familiar approaching them, with his ever-present goons on either side.

"Want to get beaten twice in one day, Malfoy? I would have thought you had enough by now!" said Harry.

Malfoy's eyes narrowed. "You wouldn't stand a chance in a real fight, Potter. Not with that rabble you hang around with."

Ron laughed harshly. "Everyone knows you're nothing but hot air, Draco. When it comes to the real deal, you turn tail and run!"

Meanwhile, Fred and George were whispering behind the backs of Ron, Hermione and Harry as they traded insults with Malfoy.

"Are you challenging me? Do you want to fight? Careful what you ask for," Malfoy said threateningly, as Crabbe and Goyle moved closer and balled their hands into fists. "You might get it."

"Any time, Malfoy," hissed Ron. "I'd love nothing better than the chance to pulverize you!"

"Hey, Malfoy!" George shouted suddenly, breaking up the developing fistfight before blows were exchanged. "CATCH!"

He and George each threw a palm-sized red ball in the air, which sprouted whirlybird devices on top. They resembled large, red Snitches. The balls hovered a few seconds, then sped over to Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle, who hit the floor. So did Ron, Harry and Hermione, because the Weasley twins' practical jokes weren't always well-aimed.

One ball stopped just over Malfoy and his friends, hovered, then started spraying a reddish, noxious-smelling goo over them. It got everywhere - on their faces, on their clothes - and they yelled and tried to get up and run away, but wound up slipping in the goo. Ron, Harry, and Hermione, who had the presence of mind to get out of harm's way, were now doubled over with laughter.

"By the way, where's the other ball?" Ron whispered to his brothers.

"HEY!!! What's going on out here??? Blech!!!" Argus Filch came seemingly out of nowhere to witness the pandemonium. "Who made this infernal mess???"

"Uh oh, looks like we are in trouble again," Fred whispered and half-grinned. He and George had gotten into so many scrapes, especially with the caretaker, that they were quite used to the drill by now. But the grins were replaced by looks of horror when they saw a slight figure approaching them from the left hand corridor, the second "missing" ball in hand .…

"Professor Deveroux?" asked Ron, anxiously. "Are you ... all right?"

The professor, while coming down the corridor on her way to her office, had seen the ball coming towards her. She caught it deftly, curious, and it sprayed her. As a result, she was covered from head to toe in the smelly gunk.

"Professor Deveroux, I hope you weren't harmed by these rascals' cruel idea of a joke," said Filch, glaring at the two boys, who stood openmouthed. With the exception of Filch, and one or two ... well, OK, three ... subtle pranks pulled on Snape, and wait, there was also that snowball incident with Quirrell and that superstick incident with McGonagall-- the boys had never had a teacher fall victim to one of their jokes -- not in such a dramatic way, and especially not a nice, pretty teacher like Professor Deveroux.

"I'm sorry, professor, it was an accident ..." sputtered George.

"Oh, so this does belong to you? I expected as much. Your reputations precede you," Professor Deveroux replied dryly. "I do hope this ... whatever it is ... washes out."

"Yes ma'am!" said Fred, a little nervously.

"Eventually ..." whispered George to the three Slytherins, who had begun to grin from ear to ear at the suddenly turning tables. The grins disappeared into looks of horror at the thought that this smell might be with them permanently, and Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle slunk away, muttering curses as they went.

"Yeh two good-fer-nothin' brats are in a heap of trouble! Look what you did to the floor!" hollered Filch. "It'll take a week to get that stench out! And hitting a teacher besides!! Into my office, NOW!!!"

"And I would like to see you two in my office, in a half hour," Professor Deveroux added. "That will give me enough time to change. Will you be through with them in half an hour, or do you need more time, Mr. Filch?"

"Half hour's plenty, m'am" growled Filch as he stormed down the left corridor and up the stairs to his office, grumbling the entire way.

"Well, it was fun knowing you all," Fred said, managing a weak grin.

"Yes, give our kindest regards to everyone," added George, with false bravado.

Harry, Ron and Hermione watched the twins disappear after Filch, and then headed towards their common room, careful to avoid the putrid-smelling ooze.

"Ho boy!" said Ron when they got to the room. "They are in big trouble now! Mom will go ballistic when she hears about this! And just wait until Errol arrives with the Howler!"

"But Miss Deveroux... that was an accident," Harry said. "She's reasonable ... she'll understand. It could be worse ... it could have been Snape or McGonagall."

"If it would have been McGonagall accidentally getting that ball, they could be facing expulsion," Hermione said.

"Or worse," said Harry, "Snape's potion-punishment-of-the-week!"

They all shuddered at that thought. Snape was infamous for his cruel and creative punishments for disruptive students, and he was always threatening to test the competence of his pupils by poisoning them and seeing if they could figure out how to make the antidote in time before it killed them.

"Yeah, but it would have been more satisfying to see that stringy-haired creep get it, rather than the nicest teacher here!" Ron spat out. Then he looked worried. "I do wonder what will happen to my brothers, though. This is more serious then their usual Dungbomb in the girl's loo."

****


Fred and George Weasley entered Professor Deveroux's office, hands clasped nervously in front of them. She was seated at her desk, free of the goo and ... thankfully ... the stench that accompanied it.

"Ahhh, right on time," she said, her voice calm. "Sit down, boys."

They took their seats. "Miss ... ahh ... Professor Deveroux, we are very sorry ..." began George.

"It was an accident ... we never meant to hit ..." continued Fred.

The professor waved her hand impatiently to silence them. "I realize that the incident was unintentional, at least where I'm concerned. However, I suspect you can't say the same about what was done to the other three students."

"No ma'm" replied Fred, a bit sheepishly. "They were the ... errr, intended targets. But we were only trying to stop a fistfight before it got started."

Professor Deveroux held up the now spent red ball. "And where did you get these?" she asked, her right eyebrow arching.

"Oh, we made them, as part of our Weasley's Wizard Wheezes shop," replied George.

"Well, it's not a shop, not yet but ..." Fred started to say.

"Hold on," the professor said. "You are telling me you two made this?"

The twins nodded. "Oh yes, we make most all of our stuff," said Fred.

"Although we still like to patronize Zonkos and other places occasionally, for ideas and for things that are beyond our skill ... for now," George said.

"What else have you made?" asked the professor. She leaning forward, interested.

"Well," said Fred, ticking off his fingers one by one. "We made our special ton tongue toffees, canary cremes and other specialty candies, our own brand of Dungbomb, with an even better, or maybe I should say, worse stink. We've improved on the old, boring whoopee cushion: ours emits a smelly green cloud near the person lucky enough to sit on one."

"And the cloud lasts for hours, and follows the person around," chortled George. "We've made self-watering false flowers, that squirt everywhere ... tried to get my brother to buy you some, but he wouldn't go for it ...."

Deveroux couldn't surpress a slight grin. She knew their younger brother Ron had a schoolboy crush on her.

"And then there's our latest invention, the Magic Ear, which allows you to eavesdrop ..." George started to say. He received an elbow to his ribs from his twin brother. But it was too late.

"An eavesdropping device?" Deveroux asked, her face alive with curiosity. "Please, tell me about it." The two hesitated. "Don't worry. You won't get into trouble."

So the two told the professor about the Magic Ear, a small, triangle-shaped device you placed into your ear, and you could hear conversations even through the thickest walls. They were very careful not to mention any instances where they had actually used the Magic Ear.

"You two can be quite industrious when you want to be," murmured Professor Deveroux after they had finished. "Listen, I'll let you off the hook this time in return for your help on a project I have in mind."

The twins perked up. No punishment? And assisting a teacher with a project? This was not what they had expected!

"Here's what I need ...." Professor Deveroux said, and told them what she needed. The twins listened intently.

"Hmmm ... a device that can take pictures, like a movie, that can get around unnoticed," murmured Fred after the professor was finished, deep in thought. "One that can pick up sounds, like our Magic Ear, and record them... this sounds tough ..."

"But think of the possibilities!" said George. "We could spy on Slytherin, peek in the girl's rooms ... errr, or use it to help fight You-Know-Who ..." he said, suddenly embarrassed.

The professor gave a small smile. "You know, you two are smarter than you would let people believe. That is exactly what this project is for ... to help us fight You-Know-Who and his followers. But remember, the walls have Magic Ears too. This place doesn't keep secrets well, so try to keep this between us. Do you think you can do it?"

The twins nodded enthusiastically.

"Wonderful. I will occasionally ask you for a status report," said the professor. "And thank you. I have every confidence you will do a superb job. And oh, you can have this back." Deveroux tossed the Oozeball on her desk. "I really don't need it."

****


"You're back! You haven't been expelled," shouted Ron as his brothers entered the Gryffindor Common Room. They were grinning from ear to ear. "What happened?"

"Oh, the usual from Filch," replied George. "A week's worth of detentions, starting sometime next Saturday."

"We'll probably be busy cleaning out the hospital bedpans, or scrubbing the classroom desks again," sighed Fred. "Or polishing the trophies. We haven't been in there for some time."

"And Professor Deveroux? What did she say?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, she said she realized it was an accident," said Fred.

"And gave us back our ball," said George.

"Then she asked us about our enterprise."

"And what kinds of things we made."

"And no, we didn't get an extra detention from her."

"That's it?" Neville asked in disbelief. He had already heard the story from Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Pretty much," Fred said, and George just shrugged nonchalantly. Then they dashed away to their rooms.

Hermione looked at the other students seated at the long table with a look of disgust. "How do they do it?" she muttered.

****


The next few days passed by uneventfully, with studies, classes and Quidditch practice occupying most of Harry's and Ron's time. Fred and George Weasley seemed unusually quiet and studious -- Hermione even saw them go into the library the day after the Oozeball Incident, as it was often referred to among the Gryffindors.

"This is a surprise," Hermione remarked sweetly as she looked up from her arithmancy textbook. "Do you two need help finding your way around?"

This remark earned her a raspberry from George, and a "ha ha, very funny," from Fred.

The next memorable thing (besides the Weasley twins being spotted in the library) was in Harry, Ron, and Hermione's DADA class the following week.

It was the second Monday of October, and Professor Deveroux paired the students up for their next lesson. She had taught them how to break free of magically cast ropes, nets and webs, things they had learned to cast earlier in the school year.

Harry, more and more, grew to respect the professor's unorthodox methods of teaching. She was also improving ... she never forgot her wand or the incantations anymore, and was very thorough and precise in her instructions. Her classes were also exhausting. Harry always felt physically and mentally drained after a typical practice session. Some of the students griped, but Harry was all too glad to be learning something useful -- even if it did mean sore muscles and a tired brain at the end of the class period.

"Now remember class," Deveroux admonished. "For those casting the binding spell, keep it simple: only one or two ropes around until the other party says he or she wants something more difficult. We are only practicing for now."

Harry was paired up with Ron, and the black-haired teen volunteered to be tied up first. Hermione was paired up with Parvati Patil. Harry had just finished breaking Ron's ropes when he noticed Snape standing in the doorway like a silent black shadow -- again.

Professor Deveroux saw him too and grimaced. "Professor Snape. Fancy seeing you here," she said dryly. "But for once I am glad that you are here. May I have a word with you after this class is over, in about an hour?"

"Certainly, my dear young lady," Snape replied silkily, his manner condescending as always. "I have heard that you had ... a little trouble with an earlier class."

Harry and Ron exchanged surprised looks. What was this all about?

Professor Deveroux's eyes narrowed. "Yes, some of the students in my last class, from your house, got a little carried away during one of my lessons. It took a good deal of effort on my part to restore order, but I assure you, they were justly punished."

Snape chuckled, an evil sound. "Come come, dear moppet. They are just boys, having a little fun. Your little lessons are too easy for our more competent students, and they just wanted to liven things up. They didn't mean any harm."

Easy??? Harry thought, incredulous. Boy, am I glad he's not the Defense teacher!

"Interesting to hear you say that, professor," Deveroux replied sweetly as she strode toward the potions master. "Especially considering a few things I've heard about how you have dealt with 'misbehaving' students - especially those outside your house. We should discuss this after class."

Harry -- and many of his classmates -- tried to stifle their laughter. Mostly, they were unsuccessful. Snape just stood there looking surly, but surprisingly, he didn't leave. In fact, after a moment, he came into the classroom and sat down at one of the empty desks at the back of the room, watching Professor Deveroux through hard, glittering black eyes.

Professor Deveroux continued assisting the students with the rope-breaking spell as if nothing had happend.

"Now Harry," Ron said, as Harry tried to stop chuckling. It was Ron's turn to get tied up. "Remember. You are supposed to be an evil, wicked wizard who wants to tie up his victim. Stop laughing and act the part! Check out Snape if you need any inspiration."

"I don't think I need any inspiration from him," retorted Harry. "So, a couple of ropes, or something more challenging?"

"Better start out with just a couple, for a first try."

"Chicken."

Ron's eyebrows raised. "I didn't exactly hear you ask for a challenge."

"I know you. You would have been too tempted to wrap me up like a mummy."

"And you wouldn't have done the same to me?"

"All right, whatever... two ropes around."

The class practiced some more with the rope-breaking tricks before Professor Deveroux asked them to sit down.

"Take a breather as I explain the next lesson," Deveroux replied. "This actually borrows a page from Professor Flitwick's book, and uses spells and variations of the spells that you probably learned as first-year students."

She then conjured the image of a bog wraith across the room, an ugly, deformed lesser demon. The illusion stood still, like a statue.

"These creatures, golludjinn, are known for their speed and cunning," she said as the beast suddenly "charged" at her. "Wingardium leviosa ... loctis!" she chanted. A large, heavy book lifted from her desk and flew straight at the wraith. The book smacked into the illusion, and the wraith flickered out.

"Simple spells a first-year can do," she said. 'They are often disregarded, but we shouldn't forget even our most basic tools when confronted with an opponent. You can even use these spells to move an enemy out of the way, knock an opponent off its feet, or even move a friend out of danger."

Harry found this interesting. These spells were, indeed, old hat ... but he never would forget the occasion when the "Leviosa" spell saved him, Ron and Hermione from a wild mountain troll that had been let into the castle during their first year at the school.

"You can move any object, large or small, with enough concentration," she said, as she then proceeded to move her large, heavy desk several inches across the floor.

"Yes, we know you can do that, child," Snape said in an oily tone. "But can your students?"

Professor Deveroux met his gaze with a look that was positively glacial. "Mr. Longbottom, could you come to the front?"

Neville gave a yelp. He didn't look to happy to be called on, especially not with the Potions master sitting there watching him.

"Now, Mr. Longbottom, I want you to move those doors apart," she said, indicating the huge stone walls that made up the barrier between the regular classroom and Professor Deveroux's practice alcoves.

"What???" squeaked Neville, his face turning the color of ash as he looked glassy-eyed at the huge structure.

"This will be a disaster," Snape said, his lip curling into a nasty grin. "He can barely move an insect without having some sort of catastrophe occur."

Deveroux turned from Neville, faced Snape, and put her hands on her hips. "The smartest student always has something to learn," she said quietly, her voice even, but her eyes flashing dangerously. "And the slowest student something to teach."

"P ...Professor Dev...Deveroux... I can't..." Neville sputtered, still staring at the wall.

"Neville, look at me," Professor Deveroux said, turning back to the boy and abandoning the harsh tone she had just used on Snape. Her voice was now soothing, reassuring. Neville turned to face her. "Remember what we talked about the other week? In my office?"

"Ye... Yes m'am," he replied shakily.

"Good. Now close your eyes, and imagine what you are trying to do ... what you want to do. Can you see the wall in your mind's eye?"

Neville nodded, and the class listened, spellbound. Deveroux spoke in a voice barely above a whisper, but it still carried even to the back of the room.

"Good," Deveroux said. "Now, imagine the walls parting ..."

"I can see it," Longbottom said, after several seconds.

"That's good. Now, do it."

With new determination, Neville opened his eyes and faced the wall. Deveroux laid a hand on his shoulder, encouraging. "Partiri Boromu!" he almost shouted out, and he pointed his wand at the door. Slowly, amazingly, the walls started to part. They moved several inches before stopping. The students gasped, but Snape just stared and snorted.

"Good, Neville," murmured Deveroux. "Now, do it again, and open the walls completely."

Neville repeated the spell with even more confidence, and the walls parted entirely.

"You helped him!" Snape snarled at Deveroux.

That is rubbish, thought Harry angrily. How could she have ....?

But Deveroux only smiled back at the potions master.

"The first time, yes, I did help a bit," she replied. "The second time, no. Mr. Longbottom did it himself."

Neville flushed with pride as the class cheered and applauded. Harry applauded too, but he shot a quick look at Hermione. She seemed to think the same thing: did Deveroux mindcast her own spell when Neville first attempted to open the stone walls?

"Ok, time for the practical portion of the lesson," Deveroux said. "To your alcoves, class."

"Yes, only to face illusionary monsters that will never harm you," Snape shot at her as the students filed into the practice rooms. "Fake beasts that only look scary, and aren't real, and are of no true consequence. No educational value whatsoever."

Deveroux's right eyebrow shot up. "What, would you poison your own students, and let them find the antidote?" Snape didn't say a word, just smiled. "I hope you're bluffing!" Deveroux hissed. She turned her back on Snape and stormed into the practice rooms.

"That is the only way to teach them!" he hollered after her. "You coddle your students too much."

Deveroux whirled to face him from just within the practice room. "That is monstrous! Poisoning ...!"

"I'll have you know that I have never had a student die in my class!"

"Then you've been unbelievably lucky!"

"They learn quickly in my classes! Besides...I always have antidote ...." Snape paused, his face turning a funny color like curdled milk. He had just confessed far more than he wanted to, and right in earshot of many of his pupils. Snarling, he leapt from his seat and walked towards the exit, while Deveroux walked into the chamber to her usual vantage point on the ledge.

Harry and the others were busy practicing, so they didn't see Snape stop at the exit, and turn around. He slowly walked back into the classroom and into the practice chamber, curious in spite of himself. They didn't see him walking into an empty alcove (there were enough alcoves for nearly two classes of students). They didn't see Professor Deveroux's wicked grin as she, upon seeing the Potions master, waved her wand and tapped her fingers on a small part of the large flat board in front of her....

Snape entered the alcove and surveyed the reddish-brown walls skeptically. So what goes on in these little rooms? he thought. What sort of nonsense has that foolish Mudblood twit concocted ....?

Suddenly, the Potions master had the feeling of moving, although his feet were firmly planted in place, and the next thing he knew, he was standing in front of a small white cottage with blue shutters. A bright sun shone overhead, and wincing, he stepped into the shade of a small, flowering dogwood. The dogwood wasn't the only flowering plant ... there were impatiens, marigolds, poppies, tiger lilies and geraniums lining the walks, and poppies and roses all around the house. He could even smell the mingling fragrances of the various blooms.

OK, the illusion is good, but what's the point? Snape thought sourly, plugging his large nose against the potent scent of the various blooms. What a waste of time ....

Suddenly, four young urchins - from a dark-haired child of about 9 to a small tot of about 2 or 3 came flying out the door, their arms outstretched towards him. Snape recoiled in horror. Each child had stringy black hair, pale skin and dark eyes - much like Snape. The second oldest child, a boy who looked to be about 7, even had a large hooked nose.

"DAAAAAAAAADDDDDDYYYYYYYYY!!!!!" the four children sang out joyfully as they tried to embrace him ....

Meanwhile on the dais, Deveroux chuckled softly to herself, almost a cruel sound. She temporarily paused the simulations for the other students so they could bear witness to what would happen next. And she didn't have long to wait.

Just as the students were peeking out from their alcoves, wondering why their training session had stopped so early, they were frozen by an unearthly yell of pure terror.

"YEEEEEAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!!!"

The students gaped as they saw a white-faced Snape come stumbling out of the alcove, staring in wide-eyed horror.

"Is everything all right, professor?" Deveroux called out sweetly from her perch in the back of the chamber. "I mean, I only conjure illusionary monsters that have absolutely no educational value. Creatures that couldn't possibly ...."

Snape muttered something Harry couldn't quite hear, and stormed away. Fast. Deveroux, meanwhile, was doubled over with laughter from her vantage point, tears streaming down her face.

Ron turned to Harry and Hermione. "I wonder what she did to him?" he asked, his grin even wider than those of the other two.

"Ummmm... Professor Deveroux?" Neville's voice could be heard even from the farthest reaches of the room. "What ... what did Professor Snape see? What did you show him?"

"Oh," Deveroux said, cackling. "I just showed him his worst fear."

"Which is ...?" prompted Seamus.

But Deveroux only smiled enigmatically and refused to speak more on the subject.

The students returned to their alcoves, ready to resume practice. Only Harry caught site of Snape standing at the doorway, looking back into the classroom, his expression unreadable in the shadows. He stood there several seconds before catching site of Harry, then Snape slowly turned and stalked out.

****


"Can you BELIEVE that!!!" said Parvati later that evening in the Gryffindor common room. It was after dinner, and several of the Gryffindors were still up, studying their texts or practicing various spells. "A teacher trying to embarrass another, right in her own class!"

"Yeah, but she got the better of him now, didn't she?" said Ron, beaming that his favorite teacher had one up on the hated Potions master.

"What is he up to, though?" asked Dean Thomas. "He has a lot of nerve!"

"Probably no good. But we had all better watch out," replied Hermione. "Snape is always a bear -- more so than usual, that is -- after he's been humiliated. I am not looking forward to Friday's class."

End of Chapter 5

The Great Snape-Deveroux Grudge Match - Part I: The Parvenu vs. The Potions Master by Pigwidgeon [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved