Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

The Great Snape-Deveroux Grudge Match - Part I: The Parvenu vs. The Potions Master by Pigwidgeon [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


"Well... well... well, look who we have here," drawled Malfoy, his grin growing wider. "The losers’ club. Have you heard the latest?"

"Don't know, don't care," muttered Harry as he and the other two tried to push past.

"Oh, I think you'll care very much about this," replied Malfoy, moving quickly to block Harry's path. Harry's eyes narrowed, and out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ron reaching for his wand. "My father has been talking to Cornelius Fudge about putting together a law which would make it illegal to cause a panic, by, for example, saying that You-Know-Who has returned, or that another wizard war is going to break out. They are calling it the "Peace Preservation Act.' And the Minister agreed. After all, nobody says 'no' to my father. As soon as this law is passed -- and it's only a matter of days now -- anyone found to be spreading panic or causing a disturbance could spend up to two years in Azkaban." Malfoy's eyes glittered malevolently, and Ron and Hermione paled. Harry glared and fingered his wand.

"I don't believe you," said Harry, his tone icy.

"You don't? Ha! Read it and weep, suckers!" and Draco pulled out a copy of the Daily Prophet.

Harry, Ron and Hermione paled. There it was, top story: "Ministry seeks to quell unease with 'Peace Preservation' proposal." And the article was written by none other than .…

"Rita Skeeter," whispered Hermione, horrified.

"I'm sure the first to be arrested will be ol' Dumbledore," Malfoy continued. "And your father," he said, looking squarely at Ron. "Dear Muggle-loving dad has been creating quite a stir from his lowly office, trying to convince people that he has returned."

"But he has come back," Harry said through clenched teeth. "And nothing you, Fudge, or your father say or pass will change that."

"Now, now, Potter, better bite that ten-ton tongue of yours," Malfoy said, waggling his finger back and forth. "If this law passes, you could be arrested simply for saying that. And once you get arrested, they may very well start asking you about what part you REALLY played in Diggory's death ...."

"IGNORE HIM!!!" shouted Hermione as she desperately tried to hold back an enraged Ron and Harry, for she had seen Snape out of the corner of her eye ... and wouldn't he just love to take off gazillions of points from Gryffindor for fighting in the corridors? Not to mention all kinds of horrible spells he might cast on the combatants in order to break it up.

Just then Ron saw the professor too, and pulled Harry back. "Let's go," muttered Ron. "Snape's coming." They left Malfoy and his cronies, who were snickering wickedly in the hallway.

"Besides," Ron continued, once they were out of earshot. "Dumbledore won't get blindsided by Lucius Malfoy's plotting. He's too clever. He's probably only letting Malfoy think he's getting away with something in order to show everyone what a snake he is."

The three saw the full story for themselves an hour later, during lunch in the Great Hall, when the owls brought in the mail. A tawny owl swooped down and deposited Hermione's issue of The Daily Prophet in front of her. She, Harry and Ron quickly forgot about lunch and Hermione started reading the article out loud:

"By Rita Skeeter, chief reporter ..." Hermione began.

"Chief reporter???" Ron spluttered. "Since when?"

Hermione shrugged and continued reading:

"Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic, has brought before the wizarding council a measure that would allow the arrest of any witch or wizard who "tries to disturb the peace," as the Minister put it.

"This Peace Preservation Act, if passed, will restore order again in our communities, and allow for the arrest of the hoodlums who insist on trying to upset the general public with ridiculous rumors." Fudge declined to comment on what kind of rumors had been spread, but there have been mutterings in the wizarding community that the dark wizard, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, has returned.

Lucius Malfoy, active community leader, philanthropist and former school governor, said he supports Fudge in this issue.

"I know there are a few on the wizarding council who will want to see this bill fail," Malfoy said. "There are even some misguided community leaders who no doubt will fight this tooth and nail. But they don't have the best interests of the public at heart. This is really a common-sense measure. We have to give our law officials every tool possible to quell this rabble who would create disturbances within our wonderful communities with ridiculous rumors of wizarding wars and plots and other nonsense."

Hermione put the paper down, and the Gryffindors sat in silence, stunned by the news.

"This is bad, isn't it?" Neville said, his voice shaking.

"Very bad," said Lee Jordan. "I always knew the Malfoys were no good, but this ...."

"Hermione," Ron whispered. "I thought you had ... taken care of her."

Hermione had caught Rita Skeeter in her animagus form -- an insect -- at the end of the last term, and trapped her in an unbreakable bottle.

Hermione groaned. "My mum found it, and opened the lid. She didn't know. So Skeeter escaped."

Their attention was diverted when Professor Dumbledore rose from his seat and tapped the side of his glass for attention.

"I have an announcement to make," he said to the quiet, expectant students. "I had stated last year that our new friends from the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang schools were welcome back to visit. I've arranged it with Madame Maxime and the new headmaster of Durmstrang, Adolpho Adlar, to visit us once again after final exams are complete."

An eruption of cheers followed this announcement. The three schools had gotten together for the Triwizard Tournament, and while there was some tension between the different students at first, many of the Hogwarts students had made lasting friendships - even courtships - with their counterparts in Bulgaria and France.

"A final date has not been established," Dumbledore said. "But it will be after final exams are completed, as a celebration of another year. And we can do with a bit of cheer."

All the students were chatting and gossiping about the ball as they headed to the library, the common rooms or outside. Although mixed in the revelry was talk of the 'peace preservation' proposal ... which had both staunch allies and fierce enemies.

Harry, Ron and Hermione, were still trying to fathom the ministry even considering such a law as they walked outside of the castle to enjoy the pleasant September weather.

"They can't do that!" sputtered Harry. "The ministry CAN'T pass a law like that! There would be enough opposition in the wizard's council to defeat it, right?"

"Of course. That bill Fudge and Malfoy have cooked up goes against everything we stand for," said Ron, but he was uneasy. With the Malfoy family involved, anything bad was possible.

They stewed in silence, strolling across the lush lawn, the Quidditch field hoops just visible on the right. The unusually warm day did nothing to lift their spirits.

"Let's go see if Hagrid is in," Harry suddenly said, breaking the silence. "Maybe he'll be able to tell us if this is true or not. We have to remember, the Malfoys are a slippery bunch, and Skeeter is the definition of 'yellow journalism.' This whole thing might be exaggerated."

"I doubt it," Ron said, but he brightened a bit at this slim hope. The three headed for Hagrid's cabin.

They found him outside playing his carved flute. He looked up and saw them coming and waved.

"Hello, there," Hagrid hollered. "Yeh haven' been by to chat in a while ... was wonderin’ if yeh'd forgotten about me," he added, his eyes twinkling.

"We could never forget you, Hagrid," Harry said warmly. Harry remembered when he was eleven, and Hagrid had come to "rescue" him from the Dursleys. Hagrid had taken him to Diagon Alley and helped him get his school supplies - and introduced him to the wizarding world. Hagrid also had retrieved Harry from the tatters of his home after his parents were killed, using Sirius Black's flying motorcycle.

"So, what brings yeh here today?" Hagrid asked.

Hermione held up the newspaper and pointed to the article about the Peace Preservation Act. "Is this true, Hagrid?" she asked.

Hagrid scowled and looked down. "Yeh, it's the truth. At least it's as close to the truth as that Skeeter woman can get." He looked up again and saw the worried expressions on their faces. "Chief reporter ... wonder who she had teh bribe? But don't yeh worry yourselves over it! The headmaster himself is workin’ on fightin’ this ... he knows all about it. So’s your dad, Ron." He nodded at the red-haired teen, who flushed with pride. "He tol' me that there isn't nearly as much support for this 'peace' bill as Skeeter says. An' he's workin' with the wizard's guvment, trying to gum up the works. As he tol' me the other day, 'the longer a bill gets held up in the cogs of beeratcratricity ...'"

"Bureaucracy," Hermione corrected.

"Yeah, that ...'the less likely it will pass.' Your father is a good man, and more powerful in some ways than Malfoy – though he's too modest to admit it."

"When did you talk to my dad?" Ron asked, curious. He knew Hagrid had been very busy, working on the grounds, teaching classes and now was serving as an ambassador of sorts to the giants, along with Madame Maxime. The last was supposed to be a great secret, but Harry, Ron and Hermione had figured it out.

"I ..." Hagrid said, and he faltered. "Never mind that. I ... saw him at the Leaky Cauldron the other day ...."

Hagrid was a bad liar, Harry thought. But neither he nor the others took Hagrid to task.

"Say!" Hagrid said, brightening. "I'm tryin' out a new recipe Olympe gave me ... stuffed toadstools with ... well, I don't have many of the ingredients she's calling fer, but I've improvised on a few things. Do yeh want teh stop by fer supper to try 'em out?"

"Oh, thanks Hagrid," Hermione said, thinking quickly. "But we were just going to grab a bite to eat and study for our O.W.L.s this evening. Maybe next time."

Hagrid smiled and nodded, not catching on to the evasion. "Next time, then!" he said, as he waved to the retreating students, who waved back.

"Oh man!" grumped Ron. "Why did you have to remind us about the O.W.L.s? Besides, we studied for three hours the night before, and two hours yesterday afternoon! On top of our regular homework!"

"Well, smarty," Hermione retorted. "Did YOU have a better idea for getting out of having dinner at Hagrid's?"

****


Professor Dumbledore looked over the long table of the Hogwarts professors, his face grim. They were meeting in a secret room in the hidden teacher's wing later that night, after the students (and even the prefects) had all gone back to their towers.

"I'm sure by now you have all heard the news about the Ministry's proposal?" he said, holding up a copy of the day's newspaper. The other teachers' heads nodded in affirmation.

"I never dreamed Fudge would go this far to discredit you," said Professor McGonagall, shaking with outrage. "And look who he has allied himself with!"

"This could easily split the school," said Professor Deveroux. "Cause all sorts of confusion in the community, as that monster and his stoodges step in and do their dirty work while everybody is fighting with everyone else. It is frighteningly clear what Voldemort is trying to do." Many of the teachers recoiled at the sound of the dark wizard's name. "From what I've heard about him, though ... I can't believe Fudge would actually ally himself ...."

"Nor do I," Dumbledore cut in. "He would never go over to Voldemort ..." again, the collective wincing. "But he also puts a lot of stake in keeping control, and if ignoring what is in front of his nose does that, he'll ignore the problem until his nose gets chewed off."

"How do you plan to fight this?" asked Snape, his fingers restlessly clasping and unclasping in front of him.

"With every tool at our disposal, but mostly, the truth," Dumbledore replied firmly. "Severus, have you been able to find out anything?"

Snape gave an irritated shrug. "No. As I guessed, our list of most likely suspects have collectively rejoined Voldemort from what I've seen. And there is not much to see. Voldemort has learned a few things since the last time we dealt with him, and unfortunately, less trust and even greater secrecy are paramount now. You might be interested to know, however, that Ludovic Bagman and Rita Skeeter have joined the circle. If you happen to run into either of them at some point in the future, I would advise you to take this warning into account and trust not a word that comes out of their mouths ... or quills as the case may be. It is clear that Voldemort has learned the value of propaganda and misinformation, and he is not wasting any time.

"As for the disappearances, it is as you have already observed. The Ministry is keeping a tight lid on this matter. The papers have not, of course, been telling the whole truth. So far the missing families are either sneaking off to join Voldemort, or they are running from him. I am still trying to gather information as to their intended destinations... and whether or not they are still among the living.

"Voldemort's current base of operations is also unknown to me at the present time. I do not have as much ... clout as in the old days, and I have not been invited into his headquarters. There have been ... activities at the Riddle mansion, but not with any regularity, and generally only in mass numbers and when he is present. I suppose you could set up an ambush and attack the Riddle mansion when there is another meeting, if you wish to attempt to settle this war by force before it starts. I can easily provide you with about 2 or 3 hours' advance notice of when the next meeting will occur, but I do not think that even with my help you would have the strength to beat him on his own soil. Not unless you are successful in getting the Ministry's full cooperation and support, and even then, I can almost guarantee that it will be a very costly and controversial battle. There is very powerful magic there, and Voldemort is more dangerous than he used to be. I do not know why this is so. I can only tell you that I have witnessed disturbing demonstrations of his new power.

"And I should also warn you that I have not heard a thing from anyone in the inner circle since the last meeting. I do not like this lack of news."

"Keep trying Severus," Dumbledore said, obviously discouraged by Snape's report. "We need something tangible, some proof as to what is going on... then Fudge would have to face reality. And perhaps then we can obtain the open support and full backing of the Ministry. But right now, the ministry is too divided for such an attack, and as you said, we simply don't have the strength or the resources to go it alone."

The Potions master had decided long ago that the idiotiotic Fudge was incapable of facing reality even if stared him right in the face, and that trying to convince the stupid twit wasn't worth Snape getting himself killed by trying to secretly record a meeting of the circle. But Dumbledore refused to give up on the hopeless fool of a Minister, and Snape knew that it was more effective to employ the stubborn and silent routine than to argue with Dumbledore openly about this.

"And how are things with Sirius?" Dumbledore asked. "Has he had any luck tracking down the missing or any of Voldemort's bases?"

"I could accomplish a great deal more on my own if I did not have to waste so much time trying to keep a leash on that reckless, hot-headed abomination ... " snarled Snape.

"Sirius is there to help you," Dumbledore said firmly, who had heard this complaint before. Many times before. "Two hot-heads are better than one."

All of the teachers, at this time, knew the circumstances of Sirius Black's false imprisonment, and Snape had told them about seeing Pettigrew alive and well at Voldemort's gatherings. Sirius had been accused of murdering Peter Pettigrew and twelve Muggles, when actually, Pettigrew himself was responsible for the deaths. Pettigrew was now known as the betrayer of the Potters to all who did not believe the Ministry's blatant attempts to cover up the truth. And the truth was that they had thrown an innocent wizard into Azkaban without even giving him a fair trial and a chance to defend himself. And the killer had never been brought to justice. But Black was still, officially at least, held responsible for the deaths and the betrayal. The Ministry would never openly admit to having made such a terrible mistake. Instead they preferred to compound it by maintaining the lie.

"He is no help at all, Albus," Snape continued to complain. "He's a hindrance. A major one. I keep trying to tell you that I work best alone, and you keep insulting me by saddling me with more baby-sitting chores!" Snape was now about 99 percent convinced that Black was innocent of the crimes he had officially been charged with. However, this did not change the fact that there was still a great deal of personal animosity between the two wizards and a list of old grudges even longer than the outer wall of Hogwarts.

"And if that mutt does not learn to hold his tongue soon, he will shortly find himself drugged, muzzled and caged in my lab, where he will contribute much to cutting edge of magical theory by being an unwilling test subject." Snape continued caustically while the other teachers either stifled laughs or tried to ignore yet another Snape-tantrum.

"Severus, you know as well as I do that Sirius Black is the best wizard we have available to assist you for now. Yes, he's rash, and does not always think things through. But if it comes down to it, you won't meet a wizard more courageous and dependable. So get over whatever it is between you two and try to make more of an effort to get along with him. Your lives may depend on your willingness to work together."

The Potions master sniffed condescendingly, but kept the rest of his arguments to himself. Black was going to blow Snape's last thread of credibility with Voldemort one of these days, and then Snape guessed that he would be more than justified in putting Sirius out of his misery if Voldemort didn't kill him first.

"Now, Minerva," Dumbledore turned his attention to the transfiguration teacher while Snape stewed silently. "How are we coming along with our ... contacts?"

"Improving," McGonagall said. "I've had seven more people enlist to help us 'spread the word,' as it were, and keep their eyes and ears peeled for developments. Lupin, Figg, Fletcher and the rest of the gang have been busy keeping watch over developments on the missing. Figg and Fletcher have been working with the tradesmiths and craftswizards loyal to us to start preparing for what will almost certainly lie ahead. I know Lupin also has been working to reestablish some of our old contacts from overseas, with a good deal of success. Arthur Weasley and his son Bill have been working steadily on people that will listen in the Ministry. Arthur told me the other day that Bill has some honest reporter friends with The Daily Prophet who hate Skeeter and what she's been doing, especially with her recent promotion. Chief reporter, indeed! They have banded together and hope to start their own underground paper. I can only speak for myself, but I wish them all luck. Also, this 'Panic' proposal," and she snorted in disgust, "is not as popular on the street as Fudge would make out ... that twit."

Several of the professors chuckled. Even Snape snickered at that remark.

"Filius?"

"I'm trying to set up a meeting with the centaurs, but it won't be easy," Flitwick squeaked. "Many of them want to remain neutral. I haven't had much luck with the other beings, and the unicorns are very elusive and shy, still skittish from the attacks on them five years ago."

"Hagrid, any news from the giants?" asked Dumbledore.

"Nothin' personal lately, professor," the large man replied. "Olympe is speaking wit' them now. So far, many don't seem too receptive, but at least they're talkin' to us. She's bin tryin' teh set up that meetin' between their chief, Gaba Maal, and you, like you asked fer. He didn' say yes yet, but he didn' say no neither. And there are more than a few who are less than pleased with what You-Know-Who did. I get the feelin' he didn' keep some of his promises to 'em."

Dumbledore nodded and smiled slightly. "Well, that's good. More than I expected at this time. I have asked Aurellia Deveroux, our resident legal expert, to prepare a battle plan in case the law, despite our efforts, passes. Have ...?"

"Professor Dumbledore, with all due respect," McGonagall interrupted sharply. "I'm well aware of Professor Deveroux's background as a barrister, and I'm sure she's a fine Muggle legal expert. But this is our law. I'm sure she can't possibly understand all of the subtle differences. Why she's only just begun to learn about our world! I really think we should see if we can find someone with the Ministry."

"I agree completely," Snape chipped in. "She is having problems adjusting to our way of life here, where it is relatively safe. If she goes out there and tries to take on our enemies in the ministry, Lucius Malfoy will chew her up and spit out the pieces. Do you want to put her through that?"

Dumbledore shot a surprised glance toward the Potions master, then looked thoughtful for a moment. He decided to let the remark pass without comment.

To McGonagall he said instead, "I am inclined to agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, we don't have the kind of time it will take to sort out who we can and cannot trust. Furthermore, I'm not sure we have the funds for it either since we spent so much of our budget this year on improving security. We must make do with what we have here. Since Professor Deveroux has been studying our laws for some time now ...."

"Three months," Snape sneered. "I am sure that is plenty of time for a Muggle-born- witch-just-out-of-a-nappy to learn everything she needs to know to...."

Deveroux, who had been slowly boiling during this entire exchange, suddenly leapt to her feet and gave the other instructors an outraged look.

"Excuse me!" she stated hotly. "But in case you haven't noticed, I've been sitting here too, and I think I ought to have a vote in my own future!"

"My apologies, Miss Deveroux" Dumbledore said mildly, "I don't think any of us..." he shot a quick, meaningful, zip-your-lip glance toward Snape, "deliberately meant to exclude you. We are used to arguing amongst ourselves like this during these meetings, and when you fall into old habits, you sometimes forget to take new factors -- and new people -- into account." And here he shot a quick pointed glance towards McGonagall.

Aurellia was only somewhat mollified. Since she was standing and had everyone's attention, she decided that now was the right moment to make her point.

"Do any of you know what is covered in Chapter III, title seven, section 2a of the Revised International Wizarding Code?" she asked confidently. An uneasy silence greeted her as the other teachers looked helplessly at each other, then at the headmaster, who shrugged. "As I thought," she observed with a smirk. "You are content to make my decisions for me, claiming that I can't possibly know what I'm dealing with. Yet when I ask you people about your own law you give me blank looks."

Her confidence gaining momentum, she continued. "Since none of you can tell me, then I will tell you. It is the section that deals with the fines and punishments for importing dangerous animals. This would include creatures such as, but not limited to, dragons, hippogriffs, mountain trolls, basilisks, and cerberii, and I can tell you the maximum fines and penalties for breaking this law for each class of the aforementioned dangerous creatures, would you like to hear? No? Well let me tell you this, then... dragons and basilisks count twice as much as the others because they have firebreathing and death-gazing abilities, respectively. And hippogriffs I've learned were added to the list relatively recently due to an incident at this very school. Needless to say, if anyone had decided to take this school to court over some of the stories I have heard lately, then let me state simply that even Gringott's couldn't have bankrolled the resulting lawsuits.

"But I digress. Chapter III, title seven, section 2a is something I am sure you all needn't worry about, since Hogwarts is a safe place and no such creatures would ever be found on the school grounds."

Nervous looks were exchanged all around the table. Deveroux rolled her eyes and frowned. Apparently no one at Hogwarts even bothered to learn the first thing about the very laws that governed their society. No wonder Voldemort was having a field day!

Deveroux let them sweat for a moment and then said, "You can all relax now because Hogwarts is in no danger of being sued, even if someone were so inclined. Fortunately for you, the statute of limitations on wizarding laws is extremely short. And for you legal know-nothings who think that a certain antagonistic wizarding family is going to chew me up in court," she looked daggers at Snape. "A statute of limitations is the time limit imposed for someone to file a legal complaint regarding a certain infraction. All of the incidents that have happened here are well past their respective statutes of limitations. But if something else happens...."

Everyone, except perhaps Dumbledore, was squirming in their seats, especially poor Hagrid. Deveroux softened a bit at the half-giant's discomfort and quickly changed topics.

"There are many other codes and regulations on lists of banned and restricted items, restricted spells and potions, laws for Apparating, the owl post ... in fact, name any section and chapter, and I'll tell you what it states. Verbatim, if you wish. Anyone?"

No one took Deveroux up on her offer. She continued, her voice strident and commanding. She was no longer Miss Deveroux, the newest professor at Hogwarts, but Aurellia Deveroux, the barrister. "Then there are the legal cases. Blotts vs. the Ministry in 1419, which ruled in favor of the board and requires all animagi to register. Then there is Hackelmenn vs. Grobeshire in 1785, which clarified the Illegal Enchanted Muggle Artifact act to include beneficial charms as well as hexes. Then there is the landmark case of Evenshire vs. the Ministry in 1903 ...."

By this time, McGonagall looked contrite, but Snape merely curled his lip.

"Very impressive," Snape murmured, his voice dripping with condescension. "Who would have thought so much information could have been filed away in such a short time in such a pretty little head?"

Deveroux whirled on him, her expression murderous. But before she could say anything, she caught Dumbledore's warning look and backed off.

"Severus," Dumbledore reprimanded wearily. "You have made your point abundantly clear, now let Miss Deveroux make hers. Or have you forgotten your countless lectures about how this school needs to be more forceful in teaching proper respect? Now, you were saying, Aurellia?"

"Evenshire vs. The Ministry ruled that no laws could be passed barring the rights to assemble peacefully and forbidding the right to speak in public could be passed, provided such speech isn't blatantly provoking or inflammatory," Deveroux continued, her face still hot. "This case is a strong precedent. It presents a strong argument against this proposal."

"But that is a rather out-dated case," Snape said icily, "nearly a hundred years old. I doubt it would carry much weight today."

"Professor Snape," Deveroux said, her voice even, but her eyes flashing angrily. "I don't tell you how to mix potions. Don't you tell me how to read and interpret law!"

"You tell 'im deary!" rooted Hagrid, thumping loudly on the table and grinning from ear to ear.

Flitwick sniggered, Sprout and Madam Hooch laughed, Dumbledore's eyes twinkled, and even McGonagall smiled reluctantly.

Snape slid down in his seat a bit, sulking. McGonagall, Flitwick and Sprout looked like they were trying very hard not to laugh at the Potion master's pouting, while Hagrid continued to smile encouragingly at Deveroux. Madam Hooch shot the Potions teacher a smug grin.

Deveroux nodded and sat down, bolstered by the support of the others. "After looking at several possible scenarios, I think the biggest danger is if martial law is declared, then there isn't much we can do to prevent the law's passage. But that would be tough -- it would require two-thirds majority vote from the legislative body of the ministry to turn that much power over to the Minister of Magic. If the bill passes, we could then file a petition to put an injunction on it -- keep it from taking effect immediately. I can have something ready to send down at a moment's notice, so an injunction can be put in place. I've already asked Arabella Figg this afternoon to pick up the proper paperwork to send to me. I should get it within days. It could take hours or weeks, however, to get an injunction approved by a judge. A lot of damage could be done in a short period of time. It would be best, of course, if this proposal failed."

Dumbledore nodded again. "Yes, that would be the ideal solution. But we have to plan for the less than ideal. Does anyone else have anything to report?"

No one responded. Even Snape remained silent.

"Good, we'll meet back here next week, unless something happens before then," Dumbledore said. "Everyone dismissed, and try to get a good night's sleep. We have much work ahead of us."

The teachers left their seats and exited the room. Once out in the hall, Deveroux tried to catch up with Professor McGonagall, who was talking with tiny Professor Flitwick. He was seated on a flying cushion he had conjured himself, so he could speak face to face with the taller witch.

"Professor McGonagall," Deveroux called out, and the older witch stopped and turned around, hesitant.

"Professor," Deveroux continued when she had caught up. "I wanted to ... apologize if I lost my temper in there," McGonagall looked surprised. "I ...."

"No," McGonagall said, her voice firm, yet gentle. "It is I ... who should apologize to you. I had no business questioning the headmaster's assessment of you on your knowledge of the law. And I had no idea you could have learned so much about magic law in so short a period of time. How did you do it?" The older witch's expression was a mix of admiration and puzzlement. "I had a cousin who went into law ... it took him six years of study!"

"My prior law background and speed-reading courses helped..." Deveroux said, a bit evasively. "And I'm a very quick study." She declined to mention that even before her training at the Allee, she had studied wizarding laws out of curiosity from the books her cousin Luk had lent her.

Professor McGonagall smiled. "Very quick indeed! Not many people can put Severus in his place without losing their temper. And certainly not as quickly and effectively as you did."

"My dear Miss Deveroux! You are too modest," Flitwick added between good natured chuckles. "Seeing you stand up to Severus has made my day."

"Hmm..." murmured McGonagall, "I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, Aurellia, because you can be, shall we say, forthright. But his attitude towards you is inexcusable and unusually rude -- even for him."

"Oh, I've handled worse than Professor Snape, although he does seem to have an even bigger grudge against me than he does Harry Potter. And I for one would really like to know why. Does he resent my having the position he's always coveted that much?" Deveroux pursed her lips for a moment, then looked at the older witch and extended her hand. McGonagall clasped it, warmly.

"Don't let him get under your skin, dear. He'll come around eventually and treat you the same as he does the rest of us once he gets to know you. Unfortunately, you probably won't notice all that much of a difference."

"Thank you, Professor McGonagall," Deveroux said with a smile.


"You are most welcome," was McGonagall's reply. "Oh, and by the way, are you still free next Wednesday? I know you said you needed a few pointers on various transfiguration spells."

Deveroux nodded. "Yes, I am. And I appreciate any assistance you can give me." She smiled ruefully. "Transfiguration spells aren't my strong point, but I am eager to learn."

"I would be delighted to help. Shall we discuss this more tomorrow at breakfast?"

Deveroux nodded again, eagerly. "That sounds like a good idea, Professor."

"Minerva, dear. There is no need for formality when the students are not around. Tomorrow then. Have a good evening." McGonagall turned and walked away.

"Well done," said Professor Flitwick to Deveroux. "A good show tonight. I've always said that we needed a good legal eagle around here, but the others said that since this was a school of magic, not law, what would be the point? Ha ha! I think you made that point rather well, you did! Even better than I could have! Well, have a good night!" he called, as he floated after McGonagall.

Deveroux couldn't help grinning. That was two mended bridges, in one evening. She had already made up with Professor Sprout last week, and the plump, good-natured witch had given her another seedling to look after, with explicit directions. So far, so good with her newest addition -- it was still green, and it wasn't sneezing!

She felt a chill at her back and suddenly whirled around, dreading the confrontation that she suspected was coming. Sure enough, Snape was standing there several feet away from her, like a carved obsidian statue, staring at her with an expression somewhere between hateful and homicidal. Oh, boy, she thought. I don't think I need to worry about the Malfoys.

"Yes, Professor Snape?" Deveroux asked tersely, her voice formal and icy. She held her head up high and met his gaze unflinchingly even though he was more than a foot taller than she was. Maybe this time he'll give up the intimidation game and go away if he thinks I'm not afraid of him, she decided.

Snape looked as if he were about to say something spiteful, but then he seemed to change his mind. He tossed his head, then turned around and stalked away. And very soon he had merged with the shadows of the long hallways, leaving a potent aura of hatred in the air behind him.

Well! Called that one in the air, she had. This confrontation had ended decisively in her favor, but Aurellia had a feeling that Snape was not going to walk away so easily in the future.

What an odd duck that one was! Deveroux stood there a moment, puzzling over his contradictory behavior. One moment he seemed anxious to personally drop-kick her off the school grounds and clear out of sight, and the next minute he seemed almost ...concerned for her welfare. Finally she shrugged it off as a problem for another day, or more likely a great many other days, and headed back to her quarters.

****

The Great Snape-Deveroux Grudge Match - Part I: The Parvenu vs. The Potions Master by Pigwidgeon [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved