Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Sing a Song of Hogwarts by Pennfana [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Chapter 7: Life Goes On

Hallowe’en was a typically cool late-October day, and Geillis was walking outside, by the lake after she had taught the last of her afternoon classes. The sky was overcast, but then, that was nothing unusual. She pulled her cloak tightly about her; it was colder outside than what she had prepared for.

Oh, well. Give her five minutes, and she would be acclimatized. It wasn’t really that cold.

It was on days like this when she most missed her husband. One would think that she would associate the fairer days with him, but no; these grey days were the dearest to both of them. He had proposed on a cool and breezy day, not unlike this; the Northern Ontario leaves had been at their most colourful point before the winds could blow them all down. They had been hiking that day, and as they stood in the middle of the forest, it was like standing in the middle of a fire, with all the crimsons and oranges and bright golds and deep browns of the leaves. Some had fallen to the ground already, and these formed a crunchy carpet beneath their feet. The breeze had soon turned to a cold, chilly wind, and he had wrapped his arms around her for warmth. There, as they stood, he had asked her to marry him. She could not have said anything but “yes”.

A tear trickled down her face. Nathan, Nathan, why did you have to die? Why did you have to leave me all alone? Don’t you know how much I love you?

It was even worse that she had not had a chance to tell him how much she loved him before his death. It had all happened so suddenly—the demonstration in front of the rest of the Blueleaf faculty, the sudden explosion, the fire that had nearly burned down the auditorium. Thank the Gods that it was not attached to the rest of the school—that library would have gone up like a pile of dry pine needles!

There had been precious little left of Nathan and Jack—only a couple of piles of ashes. They had known Nathan’s because his wedding ring had somehow survived the fire. She had carried it with her ever since.

It was a miracle, they said, that there were any signs of them at all.

Geillis had not thought so. It was no miracle. It would only have been a miracle if Nathan and Jack had managed to survive.

Nathan, her spirit cried, why did you go?

I had no choice,
came the answer.

Geillis gasped. Nathan! Can it really be you?

It seemed to Geillis that there was a laugh in the breeze. Of course it’s me, Sashara. Who else would it be?

You don’t want to know, my love,
she replied. But how can it be that you can speak to me like this? The veil is so thick between the worlds…

Don’t you remember, ‘Shara? This is Hallowe’en. The veil is thinner now. But I haven’t got much time, even so. I have to tell you something.

What is it, Love?

Your life is in danger. Codanna is plotting against you.

I knew that already. I was in hiding for two years, you know, and there was an attempt on my life last month. If I hadn’t listened to my intuition, I would have joined you beyond the veil already. I almost wish that I had.

Don’t you ever wish that!
Her husband’s shade seemed angry. Life is precious. Savour it while you can. I only wish that we had had more time together.

You’re not the only one, Nathan, she told him. I’m so sorry that we argued that morning. If I had known that it was to be our last…


The voice took on a mischievous tone. But it was not, he said. I’ll be back.

In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, eh?
She grinned.

Got me there, the voice replied, wryly. Listen, I just wanted to tell you—I don’t want you to mourn forever. You’ll see me again in your lifetime, though you may not recognize me at first. Wear colours again. It’s been almost two years, after all. Dance. Laugh. Smile. Sing. Life’s too short to waste it on being sad. Trust me. He paused. Well, maybe don’t dance, since you’re at least as bad at it as I was, but I’d be much obliged if you’d do the rest of the stuff I just mentioned.

Well, I already sing,
she told him, laughing. It’s sort of required for my job.

Teaching Songspells again, eh?
he laughed back. Some things never change.

She smiled. Well, I could hardly do anything else, except become a Muggle opera singer. But that might have been a bit too high-profile, even though I’m fond enough of opera.

He laughed again.

I will always love you, she told him. Whatever happens, I want you to know that.

I know that already, ‘Shara. I will always love you, too.
The voice began to fade.

Nathan! Don’t leave me again!

I must…I will return…

Nathan!


But he was gone.

Geillis Gaerwing, once Sashara Elford Bonosares, sat alone on a bench by the lake, crying.

Oh, Nathan…

***

Albus Dumbledore observed her from one of his many windows. He hated to see anybody suffer, but what could he do? He knew that she was a proud woman, and would not take kindly to overt interference in her life.

Don’t worry, Professor Dumbledore, said a voice inside his head. I will take care of her.

Who are you?
Dumbledore asked.

I was Nathan Bonosares, her husband. Has she told you anything about me?

Not very much,
he replied. She has told me next to nothing of her family—only that she was a widow who needed a place to hide for awhile.

The shade laughed. How typically like ‘Shara—or Geillis, as I suppose I should call her now. At any rate, you need not worry, Professor. I will take care of her. She will not always be crying. I won’t let her.

I am glad to hear it, Mr Bonosares.

Please, call me Nathan.


Dumbledore smiled. All right, then, Nathan. He paused. Is there any particular reason why you have chosen to speak with me?

Well, yes. I just wanted to tell you not to interfere too much. She could easily become annoyed if you try to push her out of her brooding, and I’ve noticed that you can be quite meddlesome at times.

You’ve got
that right, said Dumbledore, dryly.

I must be gone now, said Nathan. I haven’t got much time, and there is still one more person with whom I must speak.

Then go, and rest in peace,
said Dumbledore.

Thank you.

Dumbledore looked out at the weeping widow. It still pained him to see her thus, but it was a comfort to know that she would not be this way forever.

***

Hey! You! With the greasy hair!

What the Hell?

Yes, you. I need to talk to you.

Severus Snape grunted. Can’t this wait? he asked, annoyed. I’m marking papers.

The voice was insistent. No, this can’t wait. I haven’t got much time. It’s quite exhausting to be speaking across the veil, you know. I’m not like one of your ghosts, who can appear or disappear at will. I’m due to be reincarnated in a few years, so that means that I’ve gone to the other side. My name is Nathan Bonosares. You may have heard of me.

Snape started. Nathan Bonosares? Yes, I’ve heard of you. You were married to Geillis Gaerwing when she was still called Sashara Elford.

Told you, did she?
The voice seemed pleased. Listen, this isn’t going to be easy, but I want you to become friends with her. It is necessary. When Codanna comes back for Sa—er, I mean Geillis—I want you to be there. She will not live if you are not.

What makes you so certain?
Snape was suspicious.

I have seen it, said the voice. The future is always changing, but the changes depend on all of the people who are involved. There is one event that is nearly set in stone, and if you are not there for it, then Geillis will die. Do not let her. It isn’t her time yet.

If it is at all within my power, I will not let her die.

Promise me!

I promise,
said Snape.

Then I am content. Be well, Professor Snape.

Snape sat in his office, brooding. Friends? With Professor Gaerwing? She wasn’t going to like that idea. She could barely stand him. But he had promised, and Severus Snape, whatever his faults, at least kept his promises.

But that didn’t necessarily mean that he had to like it.

***

“Good morning, Geillis,” said a voice above her left shoulder at breakfast the next morning.

She looked up and saw Snape looking down at her. “Ah, good morning, Severus,” she said pleasantly, if a little astonished.

“Would you mind if I sat down?” he asked.

Geillis was surprised, but saw no reason to say no. “Certainly,” she said. “Is there any particular reason?”

“No reason,” he said. “I just wanted to see if you needed anything. I saw you crying outside yesterday.”

Now Geillis was really shocked. This was about as out-of-character as she had ever seen Snape in the two months of their acquaintance. “All right, mister, who are you and what have you done with Professor Snape?”

Snape scowled. “Professor Gaerwing, I have no idea what you meant by that, but I assure you that I am indeed Severus Snape. Just because I’m a bastard most of the time doesn’t mean that I always have to be. I was just trying to be friendly for once, but if you don’t want to accept that, you can just take that hat of yours and stick it—”

“Whoa!” Geillis interrupted him before he could say any more. “Calm down, Severus. You just confused me, after all. I mean, the last time I saw you, we argued so violently that I thought that it might come to blows. It set me a little off-balance to see you being so friendly now.”

“That being as it may, may I still sit down?” He had, astonishingly, managed to recover his manners.

“Yes, you may, Severus. Truce?”

“Truce.” He pulled out the chair and sat beside her.

They talked all through breakfast, and Geillis was amazed at how good a conversationalist Snape could be when he had decided not to be overly offensive. I wasn’t kidding when I asked him who he was and what he had done with himself. Maybe somebody slipped something into his dinner last night that’s making him so nice, and it will have worn off in a few hours. I’d better enjoy it while I can, since he’ll probably be back to normal soon.

Snape thought, I can’t believe I ever thought that this woman had a head full of air. I never realized before how well-read she is—which is ridiculous, since I’ve seen that bookshelf in her office. But now, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s read all of those books several times over—and many others, to boot. I must make a point of speaking to her more often.

For once, both were actually disappointed when it was time for the discussion to end.

***

A/N: I actually wasn’t going to post this chapter first time I posted this story, and what I’ve put up has been dramatically modified from the original. I’m still not entirely pleased with it, but trust me, it’s better than it was. I wanted to show how much Geillis still misses her husband, and I couldn’t bring myself to deny her one last conversation with him. The resulting scenes with Dumbledore and Snape just sort of happened.

Anyway, I may have gone overboard with the description of autumn in Northern Ontario, but it wasn’t by much. That’s where I come from, after all, and I’ve always loved the look of the hills covered in bright leaves, even though it means roughly six months of snow afterward. Oh, and for all you non-Canadians out there, we do say "eh" every bit as often as I've written it here—or at least, the people in my area do.

The chapter title is the name of the only LeeAnn rimes song that I like. The first two lines of the chorus particularly came to mind when I was writing this chapter.

“I’ll be back” is, of course, that famous line from at least one of the “Terminator” movies. I’ve never seen any of them, but I do know that line, thanks to the comedy “Encino Man”, which I loved when I was a kid.

By the way, I’m sorry that Snape’s a bit out of character in this chapter. Be warned: he’ll also be a bit OOC in chapter eight as well, though you’ll soon see him reverting to type.

Sing a Song of Hogwarts by Pennfana [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved