Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Making Ends Meet by Obadiah Slope [Reviews - 5]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


And so it was Sunday the 31st August. Rosie was awake and listening to the sounds of Severus Snape moving around the house. He was not in a hurry, yet he was making no particular effort to keep the noise of his movements down. Rosie was almost sure that he was doing deliberately, though she knew that this was not the case; he was just angry.

Rosie was dismayed to find that he was not in when she had returned from London. He got home in the early hours of the morning; Rosie knew this because he was drunk. He staggered up the stairs, stumbling and falling on every step he took. Rosie was sure that by the time he was in bed he would be black and blue.

Though he seemed mobile enough this morning, he was not stupid. He was bound to have a hangover cure somewhere in the house and was probably now suffering from a slight headache.

Rosie was waiting for the right moment; she hadn’t spoken to Severus at all since yesterday morning – practically twenty-four hours. She heard Severus clatter down the steps and into the kitchen. She heard the refrigerator door bang shut, then she heard a milk bottle shatter and heard Severus scream a few curses.

But she couldn’t get up yet – Rosie couldn’t. She had to wait until Severus was about to leave and then follow him to the station where she would confess her love. Luckily Severus was an early bird, he was bound to be at the train station at least half and hour early, which would save her running down the platform with his head poking out of the window – she didn’t have the energy.

Looking at the clock she found that it was eight o’clock – that meant that there was only an hour until the train left. Severus would be Apparating in about twenty minutes, Rosie had wondered why, if Severus could Apparate to the station he couldn’t just Apparate to Hogwarts, but apparently he liked train journeys and enjoyed reading and relaxing while he awaited his so called doom. I suppose it made sense; he had a year of teaching ahead of him after all.

Rosie got up quietly and made her way to the bathroom. She had washed last night so all she had to was brush her teeth and get dressed. After she had got ready she crept back into her room and out on some freshly laundered clothes. Then she waited until she heard Severus move towards the front door. He heartbeat quickened and then she heard the door slam and she knew that Severus had gone.

She really had hurt him.

She rushed downstairs and grabbed a coat and a biscuit, then she hurtled out into the road and Apparated to just outside King’s Cross. She could see Severus ahead of her, dressed in black with a suitcase and several bags of what she knew contained shrunken cauldrons and essays.

She went in about five minutes after him and made her way to the ticket barrier. She leant casually against it and checked her watch; it was half past eight – only half an hour to go.

Severus was there ahead of her. He had put down his luggage and was checking his own watch. The train was already there, belching black smoke onto the platform. Rosie watched as Severus marched onto the train with his suitcases and luggage. He looked back at the platform as he climbed on the train, almost as though he was looking for someone, but then he scowled and stormed into a free compartment.

The platform was now deserted and Rosie wondered if any other people would be taking the train. She had seen a few people jostling to get on a few minutes earlier but now there was no one. This looked like the perfect time to see Severus. Rosie took a deep breath, as though preparing for a swim underwater, and walked forward onto the exposed platform.

She could see Severus’ head through the window, though he didn’t see her. His head was bent forward and some of his black hair was flopping into his face, she thought that he looked particularly gorgeous like that. He was bent over something, with a look of concentration and Rosie was sure that he was reading a book – he was always reading something or other. He had a fondness for Muggle literature; Rosie was shocked to find that he liked the book ‘Jane Eyre’ by Charlotte Bronte.

Rosie was now at the entrance of Severus’ carriage. There was nobody else on board, Great, well, here goes nothing.

Rosie climbed on board and moved towards his compartment. He was indeed reading a book and he still hadn’t noticed her. Rosie’s heart was thumping, she hadn’t even thought what to say to him, she had been so nervous that she had completely forgotten that some talking would be involved in her confessing her undying affections.

Still, I can’t go back now – I have to know.

She reached forward and slid the compartment door open. It creaked ever so slightly and Severus looked up. He looked shocked and put the book down but did not speak. Rosie shut the door to the compartment and sat down opposite him, she didn’t know how to begin – just seeing him made her feel nervous, her legs were like jelly. She couldn’t tell him – but she was so close.

“You left without saying goodbye,” Rosie said.

“You had no intention of bidding me farewell when you took Mr Lupin out to London. Where did you go by the way? The Zoo?”

Rosie was slightly shaken by his coldness, she had expected him to shout and tell her to go away. In some ways the lack of feeling was almost worse, but she ploughed on.

“We went to the Tower of London. It was good, but I’d’ve rather gone with you.”

“What a pity it slipped your mind,” he said acidly.

“It was an honest mistake, you could’ve reminded me.”

“So it’s my fault now is it?” he asked, a note of anger in his voice now.

“I didn’t say that. Sev, this is so trivial, why can’t we-”

“Trivial – yes, indeed it is! The subject matter is indeed trivial. But the reasons behind it are not. You clearly bare no thought for me,” he said as though fighting to gain control of his emotions, his nostrils were flared and there was a nasty glint in his eye.

“I’m sorry?”

“Oh, why don’t you just leave? Why can’t you just admit that it was your fault?”

“I just have! For God’s sake – we’re – all I want is for you to forgive me! Is that so hard?”

“What you did hurt me,” he said and then stopped. It seemed as though he hadn’t meant to say it.

“Why did it h-”

“Can you leave?” he said forcefully, standing up and moving towards the compartment door. “Now?”

It wasn’t really a question so Rosie stood up and walked past him. He made to open the compartment door but Rosie put her hand on his and stopped him.

“No, wait a moment. I want to say something to you.”

He considered her, removed his hand from her grasp and then said waspishly, “Make it quick won’t you.”

Rosie sighed. “I don’t know how you’ll react-”

“Probably badly. Everything else you’ve done has pissed me off.”

“Shut it! Just listen! Look, I’m really sorry about London, I am, but I can’t change what happened as much as I’d like to. I’m sorry about touching you – but I was just trying to find out-” she broke off looking at him.

His brow was furrowed and he asked softly. “What were you trying to find out?”

“I wanted to know if – oh, sod it,” she finished. She lent up and put her lips to his. She felt him pull back in surprise and she knew that his eyebrows would be raised. His lips felt soft and pliable beneath hers, but he did not kiss her back, he just stood there motionless.

She broke away from him and took a step back. “I never meant to hurt you Severus, in fact quite the opposite. I think – no, you’ll read too much into that – I know that I’m in love with you.”

He stared at her indifferently for what seemed the longest time. Rosie felt rejected and felt tears prick at the corner of her eyes. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have bothered, I’ll go.”

She turned and walked out of the carriage, she had expected – almost hoped – that Severus would coming running after her and sweep her off her feet, but he never came. As she got of the train and on to the dirty platform she heard the whistle blow and she knew that the train was about to pull away from the station. She stopped and turned around; Severus was watching her from the carriage window. He looked miserable, his hand was propped against the glass in a fist as if he was going to wave but had thought the better of it.

Rosie couldn’t help it, she started to cry, she felt more dispirited than ever. She had been so sure that Severus returned her feelings but he clearly didn’t, he felt nothing and now he was probably embarrassed and angry with her. It would have been better had she said nothing at all. Tears were now running freely down her face and the train began to move away from the station and her.

She looked up a last time and saw Severus still staring at her; he looked as miserable as she felt. As the train began to pick up speed Rosie mouthed, “I love you,” at him. He opened him mouth and mouthed something back to her, but Rosie did not know what he had said.

“What?” she shouted, running down the platform slightly. Severus mouthed it again but Rosie couldn’t make it out. This was so frustrating!

“WHAT?” she shouted louder, realising that her time was running short. Severus’ shoulders slumped slightly as he gave up trying to tell her that he would miss her. He shook his head, admitting defeat – Rosie did not have a clue what he had said to her. He brought up his hand sadly and waved at her. She stopped running and waved back at him, tears streaming down her face.

As the train rounded the corner and Rosie went out of sight Severus turned around and sat heavily onto the train seat.

“Damn,” he muttered. He was so stupid, she had just confessed her love and he hadn’t said anything. Even when she got off the train he hadn’t even tried to stop her.

“Why didn’t I?” he couldn’t answer himself, there was no logical reason, he had just made one of the biggest mistakes of his life, bar being a Death Eater. She was gone and she didn’t even know that he loved her back just as much. She probably thought that he hated her and that he was embarrassed that she had kissed him. In truth he was simply stunned that someone as beautiful and wonderful as she was could ever love him.

But no doubt there would be plenty of other men waiting for her – Remus Lupin for one. Severus sighed deeply, by the time he saw her again she would have met another man and Severus would be left alone. She would probably move house and leave him forever.

Why hadn’t he just told her? Stopped her? Anything! Severus kicked the table angrily and thought, She’s probably not upset at all. She’s probably getting over me already.

He rested his head on the back of the seat, realising for the first time that there were tears in his own eyes.

A/N: If you read, please review. Poor Severus and Rosie...

Making Ends Meet by Obadiah Slope [Reviews - 5]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved