Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS-Centric

A Rose by any other Name by kimcatus [Reviews - 0]

>>

Would you like to submit a review?


Rose looked at herself in the mirror, "You're a witch, a complete and total witch!" she complained to the reflection.

Shaking her short reddish blond hair, she smiled ruefully at the observation and the memory of last night and continued on with her morning routine. It wasn't working though; all she could think of was how Tom had treated her last night. Sometimes she thought there had to be more to relationships; there had to be more than just this lukewarm feeling of, well, of like. She could honestly say she had never been in love, or even felt anything close to love.

Tom was nice and sweet, but that was just it; Rose wanted more than nice and sweet. Although she definitely didn't want to put herself in danger, what was the harm in wishing for a little excitement?

Rose finished up with a dab of soft pink lip-gloss; she looked at the reflection. Not too bad she decided, but still, something seemed to be missing in her life. She didn't feel complete, and she wasn't really sure what it was that was missing. A boyfriend? Maybe. But still, did you have to have someone in your life to feel complete?

Rose turned from the mirror, disgusted with the wanderings of her mind; it was way too early for this sort of thing, she thought; I haven't even had my first cup of coffee!

Walking down the steps of her flat slowly, she slowed to look out the window that was above the front door. From the middle of the staircase, she could look out and see London and the sun rising over the buildings. She loved London, had loved London from the beginning, moving here five years ago in search of a new career. And maybe a boyfriend...and a little excitement. A little passion in her life. All Rose knew, she was in search of something; she just didn't really know what that was.

The doorbell rang just as she was bringing the steaming cup of coffee to her lips.

"Who the-" she muttered against the warm porcelain. Maybe it was FedEx, delivering her a new life. God knows, she could use it. Rose took a quick sip of the steaming brew, before setting the cup down and rushing to the door.

The doorbell rang again, and again. Polite, yet insistent.

"I'm coming, just hold on! "Rose yelled. Wow, who had that much energy this early?

Rose opened the door and knew immediately these people were not with FedEx. A tall man with a cape and long gray hair stood in her doorway, accompanied by a woman in a plaid cape with a matching wool hat.

"Albus Dumbledore at your service, m'dear," the tall man bowed his head slightly. "And this is my colleague Minerva McGonagall. May we come in?"

Rose stepped back, stunned. Who were these people? Was there a movie being filmed somewhere? These people couldn't possible dress like this everyday could they? Not that it looked so terrible on them, she mused. The tall man had a quiet dignity about him, and Rose couldn't picture him in blue jeans, or even a suit and tie.

"Um, can I get you coffee or maybe something else to drink?" Rose mumbled; why did these people make her so nervous? Obviously they were just a couple of kooks selling vacation packages or maybe they were members of some new age cult.

"No thank you, dear. We just would like to talk to you, if you don't mind." The woman had sat down on the loveseat, the man in the big leather chair that was Rose's favorite. Rose sat down on the edge of the loveseat by the woman, poised to run if they presented a threat.

"I really don't know how to explain all this to you, but I hope you will keep an open mind, and realize that we are here to help you." Dumbledore said, leaning over to gently pat her knee. Rose looked up, into twinkling eyes and knew that nothing would get her to leave before she heard what they had to say.

"We believe you are a witch my dear. Probably a very good one, but there is no way to tell, as you have never had any training, and you're what? 30 now?" He made a tsking sound with his tongue, as if this were a tragedy. Although her age, or the fact the she hadn't had any training was the tragedy, Rose couldn't say. "We would love to have you come back with us to our school, Hogwarts, and perhaps see about your training." Dumbledore didn't sound crazy, but did he just say that she was a witch?

"I know this is a shock to you, but really, it is for your own good. We think you may be in danger. We would have come sooner, but we have only just found you." Minerva pursed her lips; as if were Rose's fault that she couldn't be found sooner.

"A witch? Well, obviously Tom sent you to try and play a joke on me...in fact, he just called me that last night. Is this his way of apologizing? Well, it won't work, I told him last night it was over, and I'm not a witch!" The laughter escaped her lips before she could stop it, a quick short, hysterical laugh.

Rose stood up. "Thanks anyway, and your costumes are wonderful, but really, I just don't think this is very funny."

Dumbledore stood also, "I know you have a hard time believing this; most people who find out they are witches are much younger, and are more open to the possibility of magic in their lives. But I assure you dear child, you are a witch, there is no mistaking that!"

A Rose by any other Name by kimcatus [Reviews - 0]

>>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved